Nen/Hatsu Workshop

Sullivanity

Sophisticated Sea Dweller
Discuss with your fellow hunters about potential hatsu ideas. Even if you don't plan on using it, Co-Chairmans would greatly appreciate fresh ideas to add in main story missions.

I plan to use Conjuration Nen, and make it into a sword to fight and such. Once they learn about the vows and conditions, I want to make this:

Vows:

-I will not use this weapon to start a fight, just to defend against an attack.

-I wont use it for more than thirty minutes each day

Conditions:

-I can only use my "enhanced weapon" if the opponent has said at least three times the word "No" and one of my knees is flexed.

-I will never kill another human with this "enhanced weapon", and if I were to, I will take half the damage the opponent receives.

In exchange, I want to make a conjured sword turn into Laevateinn, or a spear into Gungnir, etc. Hence the "enhanced weapon" description.

I just want to know your oppinions over if its too OP or not. I think I limited it quite a lot xD

I plan to use Conjuration Nen, and make it into a sword to fight and such. Once they learn about the vows and conditions, I want to make this:

Vows:

-I will not use this weapon to start a fight, just to defend against an attack.

-I wont use it for more than thirty minutes each day

Conditions:

-I can only use my "enhanced weapon" if the opponent has said at least three times the word "No" and one of my knees is flexed.

-I will never kill another human with this "enhanced weapon", and if I were to, I will take half the damage the opponent receives.

In exchange, I want to make a conjured sword turn into Laevateinn, or a spear into Gungnir, etc. Hence the "enhanced weapon" description.

I just want to know your oppinions over if its too OP or not. I think I limited it quite a lot xD

Some thoughts:

-If you plan on just conjuring a sword but stronger, then just carry around a regular sword and enhance it with Shu. That way, you always have a sword instead of only thirty minutes a day

-If the opponent simply doesn't talk to you or can't in the first place, then your weapon wont do much good.

-One of your knees being flexed is kind of arbitrary

Instead, what if every three times you successfully defend an attack, a powerful levitating sword, spear, or whatever, constantly hounds and attacks the opponent? It makes you kinda weaker against opponents that have abilities based around ending fights quickly, but it makes you a beast in long, drawn out fights.

Last edited by a moderator:
But my point with conjuring a sword instead of carrying it is exactly that. My sword can practically appear out of nowhere, no need to conceal it or hide it, and try as they might, I can get the sword anywhere since I summon it.

Also, the thirty minutes. Laevateinn is a sword in flames in all games. What I want is, I conjure a sword and fight with it, same as Gon uses Rock to attack. But same as Gon can change to Paper or Scissors, I can make my normal summoned sword a Laevateinn flaming sword instead.

So it would be the Laevateinn the one restricted, not the common sword xD

Ok, I didnt realize that your sword would transform. Just how powerful are these legendary weapons? Also, I read you character sheet. Thor's hammer is called Mjolnir.

Also, after looking at you character more, I don't know how good of a fit this hatsu is for her. An ability based around the usage of weapons doesn't seem like something somone with a strength of zero should use. She seems much better suited for a ranged, strategic approach. 

Ok, I didnt realize that your sword would transform. Just how powerful are these legendary weapons? Also, I read you character sheet. Thor's hammer is called Mjolnir.

Well, its just a sword in flames, so it burns as well as it cuts, a hammer that shocks (by touch, I dont plan to start throwing rays xD), and about the spear that never fails, maybe just make it a light spear so it can move easily.

Also, after looking at you character more, I don't know how good of a fit this hatsu is for her. An ability based around the usage of weapons doesn't seem like something somone with a strength of zero should use. She seems much better suited for a ranged, strategic approach. 

Well, the way I was looking at the rp, we would have time to train, and I saw Gon as 5, 0 as normal person xD

I will change it now anyway

Since I'm kinda bored, I thought I might try and offer suggestions about your characters' Hatsus. These do not need to be followed at all, they are just what I immediately thought of. I will be using Hisoka's nen personality theory.

@Sinister Clown- because Tremki seems like he would be a transmuter, I thought it would be interesting if he used his nen to make a cloud of extremly small razors. Although the razors themselves don't move, making the slightest movement while inside the cloud will result in extreme lacerations. 

@Quark- Loki seems like she would be a conjurer. In order to utilize her skills as a bodyguard, her ability could be based around protecting a conjured dummy, where all the damage done to the dummy is transferred to her, and vice-versa. 

@Finalshine23- Mason seems like a manipulator, which I'm assuming you were going for. You were probably also going to do somthing those puppets, and there are so many possibility a there I'm not even gonna get into them.

@Elision of Ecritures- Oleifr sounds like he would be a transmuter. I think he would either do somthing like Biscuit, where he makes himself look like a young girl, or he would turn his aura into super cold air like his homeland.  The temperature drop would definitely slow down faster opponents

@The One Llama to Rule All- Geist defiantly sounds like an enhancer, but with maybe a little bit of manipulator thrown in due to his desire to protect his family. I would take advantage of his high stamina, and use some sort of ability that makes it so he gives himself a task, then he has a large boost to his physical ability until the task is completed. The longer he goes without completing the task, the boost steadily increases.

@MasterOfPuppets- I know we've already had a lengthy discussion on Eliza's hatsu, but in terms of her personality she sounds like an enhancer. Maybe she can give her self the qualities of legendary heroes, however she can only maintain the power as long as she verbally recounts stories about them

@Sullivanity Thanks for the advice. I plan to develop him mainly as an enhancer. I probably won't add manipulator techniques, but I will add emitter techniques, since my character does have fits of rage. I'm still working on developing a nen idea, or rather I'm waiting to see how the hunter exam goes. I'll post here, if I do come up with ideas for my character.

@Sullivanity

Oh thanks for the suggestion!

I was actually thinking of a transmuter, but a conjurer seems to be more fitting right now (thank goodness they're close together). I haven't gotten down an exact idea yet but I'm hoping to incorporate speed into it. And the substitute idea with the dummy sounds cool, shall keep that in mind. 

Hope you don't mind, I'm just going to see how things play out first since my intention is for Loki to find out a little more about herself, and have her becoming less robotic first ^_^;

Since I'm kinda bored, I thought I might try and offer suggestions about your characters' Hatsus. These do not need to be followed at all, they are just what I immediately thought of. I will be using Hisoka's nen personality theory.

@Sinister Clown- because Tremki seems like he would be a transmuter, I thought it would be interesting if he used his nen to make a cloud of extremly small razors. Although the razors themselves don't move, making the slightest movement while inside the cloud will result in extreme lacerations. 

@Quark- Loki seems like she would be a conjurer. In order to utilize her skills as a bodyguard, her ability could be based around protecting a conjured dummy, where all the damage done to the dummy is transferred to her, and vice-versa. 

@Finalshine23- Mason seems like a manipulator, which I'm assuming you were going for. You were probably also going to do somthing those puppets, and there are so many possibility a there I'm not even gonna get into them.

@Elision of Ecritures- Oleifr sounds like he would be a transmuter. I think he would either do somthing like Biscuit, where he makes himself look like a young girl, or he would turn his aura into super cold air like his homeland.  The temperature drop would definitely slow down faster opponents

@The One Llama to Rule All- Geist defiantly sounds like an enhancer, but with maybe a little bit of manipulator thrown in due to his desire to protect his family. I would take advantage of his high stamina, and use some sort of ability that makes it so he gives himself a task, then he has a large boost to his physical ability until the task is completed. The longer he goes without completing the task, the boost steadily increases.

@MasterOfPuppets- I know we've already had a lengthy discussion on Eliza's hatsu, but in terms of her personality she sounds like an enhancer. Maybe she can give her self the qualities of legendary heroes, however she can only maintain the power as long as she verbally recounts stories about them

Well at least you came up with a type, honestly I didn't know what to type him as. 

I like what you came up with and it's something I'll keep in mind when it comes down to the hatsu thingy because the only down part about the idea is building from it. 

Although since we are on the topic I wouldn't mind voicing my idea to see what you think - because it's what I've used for his power/ability in other rp's he was in (He's an OC I've used in a lot of Rp's I've joined now.) I was also thinking about making that into his hatsu although there may be problems with the typing of the hatsu buuuuuut it basically consists of Kaguya (My OC) projecting the 'Tremki' figure within his mind as an actual being of sorts, 'Tremki' has a similar shape, size & appearance to Kaguya with the main difference being he's completely made of nen and generally seen as a shadowed doppelganger of sorts; While it takes the shape of Kaguya's appearance, their attributes are not the same and in fact completely different. The doppelganger is practically immune to most attacks, meaning it doesn't really take damage nor can it die and is essentially made up of Tremki's nen; but this comes at the cost of lacking any raw strength or much intelligence besides to kill whoever Kaguya's bloodlust gravitate towards to, while it's attacks are generally weak in brute strength - it can still pick up and use weapons to cut things down or extend its arms or legs to wrap around someone and incarcerate those who don't have much strength or until it's grip is broken by the person's strength. The other thing is, there are things I have in mind that I could use to build off this in the future, the main one being generally called just 'Switch' where Kaguya can switch places with his 'Tremki doppelganger' and vice-versa as long as they are in eyesight of each other (Which I forgot to mention but the doppelganger generally has a limit to how far away it can travel away from Kaguya before dispersing into thin air).

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Well at least you came up with a type, honestly I didn't know what to type him as. 

I like what you came up with and it's something I'll keep in mind when it comes down to the hatsu thingy because the only down part about the idea is building from it. 

Although since we are on the topic I wouldn't mind voicing my idea to see what you think - because it's what I've used for his power/ability in other rp's he was in (He's an OC I've used in a lot of Rp's I've joined now.) I was also thinking about making that into his hatsu although there may be problems with the typing of the hatsu buuuuuut it basically consists of Kaguya (My OC) projecting the 'Tremki' figure within his mind as an actual being of sorts, 'Tremki' has a similar shape, size & appearance to Kaguya with the main difference being he's completely made of nen and generally seen as a shadowed doppelganger of sorts; While it takes the shape of Kaguya's appearance, their attributes are not the same and in fact completely different. The doppelganger is practically immune to most attacks, meaning it doesn't really take damage nor can it die and is essentially made up of Tremki's nen; but this comes at the cost of lacking any raw strength or much intelligence besides to kill whoever Kaguya's bloodlust gravitate towards to, while it's attacks are generally weak in brute strength - it can still pick up and use weapons to cut things down or extend its arms or legs to wrap around someone and incarcerate those who don't have much strength or until it's grip is broken by the person's strength. The other thing is, there are things I have in mind that I could use to build off this in the future, the main one being generally called just 'Switch' where Kaguya can switch places with his 'Tremki doppelganger' and vice-versa as long as they are in eyesight of each other (Which I forgot to mention but the doppelganger generally has a limit to how far away it can travel away from Kaguya before dispersing into thin air).

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Judging by by your description of the ability, and Kaguya's speciality of efficiantly cutting the opponents vital spots, you would like having somthing that allows you to immobilize or leave the enemy open. I also really like the idea of using Tremki as a weapon. I suggested transmutation because transmuters tend to be people with eccentric personalities that others consider strange. Conjurors (which I think your current ability falls under) actually tend to be more stoic and serious. So instead of summoning a doppelgänger, what of Tremki took the form of Kaguya's "shadow" mad of pure nen? He would always be connected to his master, and because he's just nen simulating somthing else, he would be completely pretty much indestructible. Tremki could slide underneath an opponent, spring up behind them, pin their arms, and Kaguya goes in for the kill. 

Judging by by your description of the ability, and Kaguya's speciality of efficiantly cutting the opponents vital spots, you would like having somthing that allows you to immobilize or leave the enemy open. I also really like the idea of using Tremki as a weapon. I suggested transmutation because transmuters tend to be people with eccentric personalities that others consider strange. Conjurors (which I think your current ability falls under) actually tend to be more stoic and serious. So instead of summoning a doppelgänger, what of Tremki took the form of Kaguya's "shadow" mad of pure nen? He would always be connected to his master, and because he's just nen simulating somthing else, he would be completely pretty much indestructible. Tremki could slide underneath an opponent, spring up behind them, pin their arms, and Kaguya goes in for the kill. 

Yeah that does make perfect sense, I think the alternative would do nicely though.

I know what you mean, but I followed this "he also states that this method is similar to trying to find someone's star signs or blood type just from personality analysis — it is not always correct." xD

whelp my CS is up fiiiinally. I finished the picture I was talking about in the OOC, decided I hated it, decided to do an entirely different character that needed a whole new picture, spent ages doing that and having a rough time of it for some reason, finished it and realised it was terrible before going back to the original character whose picture, in retrospect is really not that bad.

Anyway despite this character being a resurrection the RP she was made for never got to the nen stage so I have no idea where to go with that.

whelp my CS is up fiiiinally. I finished the picture I was talking about in the OOC, decided I hated it, decided to do an entirely different character that needed a whole new picture, spent ages doing that and having a rough time of it for some reason, finished it and realised it was terrible before going back to the original character whose picture, in retrospect is really not that bad.

Anyway despite this character being a resurrection the RP she was made for never got to the nen stage so I have no idea where to go with that.

If you want my advice, I use Hisoka's nen-personality theory. It's not a strict rule, but I find that it generally applies. As such, Ellen seems like an emitter due to her tendancy to get super angry. After that, I look at the characters talents and traits to help think of somthing. It's easy to just do somthing that follows the "theme" of a character, but I think it's just as important to take the character's talents into consideration. For example, Killua uses electricity because he was trained from a young age to resist it as a form of torture, and Morel uses magical vape tricks because he has a naturally high lung capacity. Since you said that Ellen is very observant and good at picking up on physical patterns, somthing related to firing concentrated bursts that hit specific areas would be good. I'm sure you could also do somthing with the mimicry, but I haven't thought anything. 

Is it weird how much I like talking about this stuff.

Is it weird how much I like talking about this stuff.

Nope, or at least we're weird in the same way cause I can do this stuff for hours. I had been leaning towards doing something with the mimicry, maybe playing into her past as a thief by being able to steal abilities for a time and having a vow that plays into her thing about paying people back. So something like: Eliot can steal an ability that she witnesses and gets one use of it, maybe increased to multiple uses down the track, while she's holding onto an ability the original owner can't use it but once she uses it they get it back and she has to "pay them back" I was thinking maybe by having to do the person a favour, which could create some interesting situations. 

That's not very emittery though and since her arc is supposed to be about moving past that part of her history improving it wouldn't be as fitting as the story progresses. I like the whole precision targeting thing, what about something to do with marking a specific weak point with like a targeting laser esque ability then having tracking projectiles that chase it down? 

@AtlannianSpy Maybe she steals abilities, but can only emit the abilities at long range. As a result, she can't steal abilities from emitters, but rather she can steal close-ranged abilities. These close-ranged abilities are at the same power, when she fires them at long range, but they cost twice the amount of aura. As a result, she can't mimic abilities often, otherwise, she gets tired easily due to her low stamina.

It's just an idea.

idea-

Conjuration Dreamweaver. (basicly what comes to mind he can create, smll cmored clouds, outfits, a fix., ext)

condition

-only for self defence(if the other person starts the fight), personal use, our tricks, no starting fights, if does, is unable to use hatsu of a full 2 days.

-nothing bigger then yourself

-if within as big as yourself, or inches smaller/shorter  it can only be used for 2 minutes (what ever you conjured)

nen ability, 

dreamscape, 

turned a 8 foot radius into a cloudy dream like world, cannot leave and somewhat(by 10%) enhances powers, works only for 5 minutes., unalbe to use nen for 5 minutes after

I've had a thought about an ability, but unsure whether my Loki can use it. 

I realised that on my scrap paper, I tend to like drawing her with cuffs. Maybe she could conjure up black cuffs on her arms, that are more like a black mass/aura that can shift shape according to the item she has in mind. Was thinking of naming/basing her attacks/conjuring skills after chess pieces in Xiangqi. And "checkmate" to her would be when there is no way out of a stiuation, the time when she feels she needs to use her suicide medicine. 

So the pieces in Xiangqi (or Chinese chess) would be: 

1. Soldier - the two cuffs expand in size to form into two fists. While she can use her normal fists, she could increase the rapid combination of attacks with two extra

2. Cannon - the two cuffs shoot out projectiles. The texture of these small projectiles are like glass shards. I would say she can only shoot in a straight line but she can change her direction of focus. 

3. Chariot - not exactly sure what form, but I'd like this one to give her a boost in her speed and movement. It won't be anything like an offensive attack. 

4. Horse - clasp both hands together and the cuffs shift into a long lance. The longer distance she is away from the target the more impact, but she also needs to travel in a straight line. 

5. Elephant - the two cuffs turn into a hammer? (I'm not sure yet... I feel like this might be her weakest)

6. Advisor - chains can come out from the cuffs, and she can use this more for dragging in enemies from long distances. 

7. General - the cuffs change into swords. 

An Explanation of Oleifer and Olafur's Hatsu/Nen

Name: Zero-G Gladiator 

Type: Transmutation

Basic/General Explanation: Olafur generates nen which is then Tranmutated as it is their natural nen Type. Their nen, once emitted into a general concentrated field and honed to cover an area or radius around them would would be Transmuted to reflect the substance of gravity itself. While this does not actually affect the substance of actual gravity, as that would be a manipulator technique and would possibly require a lot more aura to pull off because its on such a cosmic scale, it certainly reflects it by making the area around Olf become harder and harder to move in. Substantially this makes more speed based opponents which Olf is the weakest against more and more incapable when fighting in a melee style around him, and also helps out with long-ranged based opponents by also effectively working on regular objects as well. The more nen emitted obviously, the more pressure is put into the area. However, due to Olf's inhuman strength, as well as the training method's they may employ to become even stronger while simultaneously strengthening their nen (possibly inspired by the increased gravity training of the franchise Dragon Ball) they are less effected by this than others, their strength working hand in hand with this ability. In the future, this could broaden into other categories as Olf could enhance their physical body more to play off their already large amount of strength or Conjure gauntlets with special properties which may play off this gravity field, but I feel that looking into that is looking a bit too far into the future.

Terms/Vows - 

1.  This Ability is Not To Be Used on Anyone Who Has Not Attempted to Attack Me Already 
  2. This Ability Is Not To Be Used During A Full Moon

Consequences -

1. Death

Nope, or at least we're weird in the same way cause I can do this stuff for hours. I had been leaning towards doing something with the mimicry, maybe playing into her past as a thief by being able to steal abilities for a time and having a vow that plays into her thing about paying people back. So something like: Eliot can steal an ability that she witnesses and gets one use of it, maybe increased to multiple uses down the track, while she's holding onto an ability the original owner can't use it but once she uses it they get it back and she has to "pay them back" I was thinking maybe by having to do the person a favour, which could create some interesting situations. 

That's not very emittery though and since her arc is supposed to be about moving past that part of her history improving it wouldn't be as fitting as the story progresses. I like the whole precision targeting thing, what about something to do with marking a specific weak point with like a targeting laser esque ability then having tracking projectiles that chase it down? 

I like the tracking idea and the mimicry idea. Maybe to activate her tracking ability, she has to place a marker on her own body, an then the projectiles seek out the corresponding part of her opponent. By observing and mimicking their movements, she could figure out the subtle muscle movements that they make, and use them against the enemy.

Maybe she steals abilities, but can only emit the abilities at long range. As a result, she can't steal abilities from emitters, but rather she can steal close-ranged abilities. These close-ranged abilities are at the same power, when she fires them at long range, but they cost twice the amount of aura. As a result, she can't mimic abilities often, otherwise, she gets tired easily due to her low stamina.

I like the tracking idea and the mimicry idea. Maybe to activate her tracking ability, she has to place a marker on her own body, an then the projectiles seek out the corresponding part of her opponent. By observing and mimicking their movements, she could figure out the subtle muscle movements that they make, and use them against the enemy.

Okay now I am thinking sort of like a film projector like ability, here's the rough outline:

The right eye has the ability to record, this is somewhat like an enhanced version of Gyo, it greatly increases the speed, and range accuracy of her vision even in low light or hazy condition it's quite draining though, you would use it in bursts several seconds rather than all the time.  It also has the property of "recording" everything it sees.

The left eye can project, basically it emits a hologram like depiction of anything the right eye has recorded which has the actual properties of whatever has been recorded. Record a wall and you can project a wall with the same toughness, record someone performing their special move and you'll project a figure that does the same move with the same effect. The size and other qualities of the projection would influence how much nen it takes but the main drawback would be a vow that steadily degrades her vision the more she uses each eye. Her vision would be restored eventually but if she lost it in the middle of a fight she basically loses since more so even than most people she relies heavily on sight. She'd also be more dependant on other people while blind which would be her nightmare scenario, increasing the effect of the vow I think and also creating some fun situations. 

Overall I think it'd be a fun ability but I haven't quite worked out the limitations, the exact range of her visions and how far she can project things and how quickly her vision degrades and stuff. She should also probably have a max capacity for much "footage" she can record before she has to delete some to make room for new stuff.

idea-

Conjuration Dreamweaver. (basicly what comes to mind he can create, smll cmored clouds, outfits, a fix., ext)

condition

-only for self defence(if the other person starts the fight), personal use, our tricks, no starting fights, if does, is unable to use hatsu of a full 2 days.

-nothing bigger then yourself

-if within as big as yourself, or inches smaller/shorter  it can only be used for 2 minutes (what ever you conjured)

nen ability, 

dreamscape, 

turned a 8 foot radius into a cloudy dream like world, cannot leave and somewhat(by 10%) enhances powers, works only for 5 minutes., unalbe to use nen for 5 minutes after

So sort of like Morel's ability? I guess the thing to consider that durability would be the main limiter in terms of using it in combat. Anything conjured hard enough to be useful in a fight would be extremely expensive in terms of nen. If may be so bold, I might suggest making it a transmutation ability, he can transmute his nen to give it cloud like qualities. This would probably make it easier to manipulate and allow you to control how concentrated the nen is. Just from what you have in the personality section so far Dante seems more like a transmuter then a conjurer judging by Hisoka's personality types although they can be wrong sometimes. 

I've had a thought about an ability, but unsure whether my Loki can use it. 

I realised that on my scrap paper, I tend to like drawing her with cuffs. Maybe she could conjure up black cuffs on her arms, that are more like a black mass/aura that can shift shape according to the item she has in mind. Was thinking of naming/basing her attacks/conjuring skills after chess pieces in Xiangqi. And "checkmate" to her would be when there is no way out of a stiuation, the time when she feels she needs to use her suicide medicine. 

So the pieces in Xiangqi (or Chinese chess) would be: 

1. Soldier - the two cuffs expand in size to form into two fists. While she can use her normal fists, she could increase the rapid combination of attacks with two extra

2. Cannon - the two cuffs shoot out projectiles. The texture of these small projectiles are like glass shards. I would say she can only shoot in a straight line but she can change her direction of focus. 

3. Chariot - not exactly sure what form, but I'd like this one to give her a boost in her speed and movement. It won't be anything like an offensive attack. 

4. Horse - clasp both hands together and the cuffs shift into a long lance. The longer distance she is away from the target the more impact, but she also needs to travel in a straight line. 

5. Elephant - the two cuffs turn into a hammer? (I'm not sure yet... I feel like this might be her weakest)

6. Advisor - chains can come out from the cuffs, and she can use this more for dragging in enemies from long distances. 

7. General - the cuffs change into swords. 

I think it would be tough to conjure something that has that many properties and have them be usefully strong, again Kurapika is a great example, he similarly has multiple abilities based on conjuration but he had to make a pretty dire vow to make it happen and that probably still wouldn't have been sufficient without his Mary Sue Time  Emperor Time ability allowing him to use all nen types efficiently. You would have to look at some significant limitations in order to make them viable I think, perhaps like Kite you could have the abilities be activated randomly or controlled by some factor outside Loki's control?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back