• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom My Hero Academia: Class 1-C

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
CeriseFern CeriseFern
Traveling halfway across the world to a new school, in a new country, was a trip within itself. He knew practically nothing about this new place and that did not sit well with him. The culture was probably radically different from his own, not to mention, he still was not extremely familiar with the language. He could understand bits and pieces, but much of it was still lost on him. He was only being sent over due to some hero program. 'Broadening horizons,' they said...

Well, if broadening horizons meant moving to Japan for his high school career and beyond, he'd rather just stay isolated back home.

Devon didn't get much of a choice in the matter. It was a grand opportunity, that much couldn't be denied, but he was practically alone over here. His parents were still far away back home, leaving him completely up to his own devices. Food, water, shelter, entertainment, everything was paid for already. His family was not the richest in the world, but they were still fairly well off. They could afford some small apartment for him to use. They had mentioned something about one of his uncles living here in the city who would be coming to check up on him...

But that was days ago. Uncle Yuuto had come to make sure he was settling in well before taking him on a tour of the city. For all the anxiety and nervousness he had in Japan, Devon found himself enjoying the scenery of Musutafu. It was fun to see all of the bustling activity, people moving this way and that to get to their destinations. He was more of a suburban person, so the amount of active people was not nearly as much.

When Devon had a good idea of the city's layout, he was left back to himself once more at that small apartment. Oh boy. The next few days, school was finally starting U.A. High School... it was time to see whether he could do it.

Devon stepped out of a black car that pulled up to the school, backpack slung from one of his shoulders. He was dressed in the school uniform, but kept his black hat up on his head. People tended to get a little freaked out when they saw the very top of it, if seeing a guy literally made of darkness didn't already do it.

Uncle Yuuto leaned over across the car, peering out the window. He was an older man, with some graying hairs, but generally looked pretty fit still. His face was a little wrinkled. "You be careful out there, alright? City is pretty safe, but you never know what's gonna come 'n get you. Keep your phone handy."

Devon nodded his head. "I'll stay out of trouble. Promise." He leaned down and gave his uncle a quick hug. "I'll see you when school is out."

They broke apart and soon enough Devon was left alone. He watched his uncle go, a little bit of disappointment in him, but he didn't dwell on it long. Turning towards the school, there were students already walking forward, alone or in their little cliques. Sighing, he started forward. This was it.

"You're not at least gonna help me find my class?" Exacerbated, Hikari slouched exaggeratedly while staring down her mother through the rear view mirror. A mother a bit too oblivious to notice the background bickering; a mine focused on plans for a day with children gone and an empty house.
"Deals a deal, now you can wonder around lost like the lot of them," he teased, grabbing Hikari's backpack along with his own as the he left the car.
"Ha-ha, very funny," she yanked her bag back from him as he snickered.
Before turning to the school and jogging to catch up to some of his friends there before him he gave her a half hearted wave goodbye and a sarcastic 'good-luck'.

For a moment Hikari stood still staring up at the building that toward before her. Of course she'd been here a few times before, but to think she'd actually be attending. After the disaster at the entrance exams, she thought for sure they'd disbar her from joining... The thought was quickly pushed out of her mind as she walked up the first set of steps. It was the first day of school! Time for excitement, and joy. Also learning, probably that as well.
Learning things like, well, where her homeroom class was at.

Quick, without thinking Hikari turned to the person closet to her not already talking to someone else. A young boy, probably a first year as well.
"Ah, excuse me, you don't happen to know where class 1-A is, do you?" Immediatly after asking Hikari started looking through the crowd for someone else she might ask. It probably would've been better to approch someone that looked her senior, instead of someone closest. Still she didn't walk away from him, waiting for an answer. There was always a chance he did know after all.

Devon turned his head when he heard a girl speak to his right, eying her. That big black helmet over her head was a bit... odd. But he could feel heat from here even from the distance that they stood apart. He was particularly adapted to distinguishing heat sources due to his power, and so she was like a giant source of it! That was interesting. Maybe he was not the only one with fire abilities here?

"Uh... nope! I'm new here as well." He replied, turning to face her fully. The temptation to just put his hand up to her helmet was getting to him. How was she even seeing in that? "But I'm gonna guess that you're in there too since you asked! I'm Devon. I was just about to go look for 1-C."

Looking up towards the building, he shrugged his shoulders. "Hey, you wanna go in together since we're both looking for 1-C, then? They've probably got directions at the front desk." Devon paused. "They have those in Japanese schools, right? I'm from North America." He scratched the back of his head lazily.

"Ha, I can tell from your voice!" He seemed to struggle slightly while talking, but it almost seemed more like nerves than anything. At the very least Hikai understood him. Well even if he didn't know where to go, at least he went to the next logical step. An office, actually they likely handed out maps to first years. At least, her middle school did... Considering the size of this place, would be outrageous if they didn't, right?

"Actually, I do know where the front desk is, I've been there a few times before. So that seems like a reasonable place to start," about to start walking to the office she stopped suddenly and turned to face him again, "Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself, I'm Hikari Takahashi! Very nice to meet you."

Well, good to know that it wasn't too much different from an American school. Then again, that was a pretty stupid thing to ask, wasn't it? Not having any sort of front desk would just be a bit of a nuisance, walking all the way to the main office. It just streamlined the main problems of 'where do I go' from reaching the guys who had more important jobs. Besides, this place seemed huge, so it was probably pretty well funded. They could totally afford to pay a guy to sit up in the front like that.

Devon reached his hand out for a good ol' hand shake. "Nice to meet you... Hik... Hikar... Hikuri? I think I butchered that." Whether or not that she actually accepted his handshake, he would just let his arm fall back down and start forward towards the school. "So, I suppose since you're going to U.A., that means you have a Quirk! What is yours?"

Hikari enthusiastically grabbed his hand with both of hers giving him a bit of a ridiculous hand shake, "Khee-Ka-Ree," she reinforced, "but it's fine, you'll get it eventually."

"Ah, my quirk, is it no-" she placed one hand on her helmet, "oh! I didn't realize this thing was on full power. I don't usually set it that high," with that she seemed to press a few buttons on the side of the helmet, at the collar. It was hard to tell given it was black on black. Gradually the helmet lit up, and rather quickly the air around her jumped up a few degrees. The helmet went from pitch black to soft orange flame. The colour flickered and switched like any fire might, though it stayed surprisingly round to fit the helmet.
"If I wasn't wearing the helmet, you wouldn't be able to see me at all!" The idea seemed to amuse her.
"Uh," she stopped suddenly, "you still havn't told me your name."

So Hikari was a friendly person! That's nice to know, so maybe they could get along. Despite his usually pretty dark demeanor, he was actually pretty friendly as well. Most people tended to steer away... because he was literally made of darkness. The amount of edge he embodied couldn't be ignored. It was a miracle their eyes didn't start bleeding from looking at him. Or... how would that work when your head is a sun...?

He was a little bit surprised by her helmet suddenly changing, lighting up from pure black to matching the sun in the sky almost. What a neat trick! It must be something to protect others, he could feel the heat pick up a bit, plus... who knows, it's probably also difficult to look at her straight without it.

Then her question actually hit him. "Oh! Devon Abels. My name." He said somewhat awkwardly. Before she could ask what his own Quirk was, he suddenly lit up like a bonfire, his body becoming cloaked in flame, but somehow, the flames seemed to be somewhat trapped underneath his clothes. "Mine is like... fire and shadow. I can use both."

"Fire and shadow... Hmm, I'm not sure I understand. Know a lot about fire quirks given my family, but I don't think I've ever seen something like that!"

While the two of them had been walking and talking they reached the front office, well almost. A long line of first, and a few second, year students. All looking for aid just as these two students were. It was beginning to get a little too chaotic. A few teachers standing around attempting to keep the line calm and moving along.
"You'd think maybe they'd give us maps before the first day," Hikari mumbled, looking over the crowd and trying to judge how long this was going to take.

Devon shrugged his shoulders. "Uh, well, my mom had a Quirk about night time stuff. She could blend in with shadows, and then night time meant she was just plain invisible. Dad was a heat dude, like radiation heat. Not the bad kind that messes with your body, but just... hot. Heat waves. Things like that. Which for some reason turned me into this shadow thing that can light on fire."

He took a look at the line in front of them and just grimaced. Good lord, that looked like it was going to take a while to get through. There was absolutely zero interest in standing in line for an hour just so he could get to his class. They had a schedule to keep!

Instead of waiting, his shadows just started leaking out of the bottom of his pants leg subtly, running along the floor, melding with the various shadows people were casting on the floor as a disguise. Until, eventually, it reached the very front. From his position on the floor, he checked around the desk... lo and behold, there was a stack of maps there! He glanced around from that vantage point, seeing from the little spot on the floor, and the darkness reached up, snatching one and melting it into the darkness. The rest of the shadows snapped back to Devon quickly.

He reached into his shirt and pulled out the map. "Got one." He said, opening it up. "Did not feel like waiting a long time just to get where we needed to go."

"Ah, amazing! I couldn't have done anything useful like that," sounding more amazed then anything, "mind if I take lead? I've been here a time or two, so I kinda... Sorta know how things are, maybe."

--

Once they two acquired a map getting around wasn't too hard. Plus from what they could tell most of their classes were on the first floor. It seemed to grades went up as the floor levels did. They weren't the first to class 1-C, but at the very least they weren't the last to join. As far as they could judge by the amount of desks still empty in the room. The only thing that struck Hikari as odd was that there seemed to be no teacher yet... Perhaps their homeroom teacher was one of the ones manning the line at the front office.

As the two new kids walked into the room, a few students already there looked up and acknowledged them. One kid in particular stood up, and if one could lock eyes with someone like Hikari he did.
"They actually let you in after that stunt you pulled at exams?" Surprised, but primarily pissed. He drew attention from most of the class at this point. Walking over to her.
The young boy was shorter than her by an inch, but still formidable. Long black hair, and pure black eyes, though his skin looked as though it were carved from marble. Stony, and he appeared rather strong. One would assume a basic strength/toughness quirk from the statuesque boy.

Devon looked it over for a few seconds, and then just realized one thing. He didn't know how to read a map. So, he handed it off to her, since she seemed to know more than he did! "Knock yourself out." He said, handing it off to her and just following along.

Knowing that all of the classes were pretty much on the first floor made things easy. So, if he ever managed to get himself lost, he could just take a look down here until he eventually got where he was going. Or, you know, just learn how to read a damn map like any normal ass person would. That would be the most effective method of learning how to navigate around here... nah, he'll just follow the others.

Which also worked brilliantly, because Hikari knew where they were going! Soon enough they had arrived at the classroom, and people had beaten them to it. He wasn't exactly surprised by that bit, but he was a little surprised from the second. One of the other students had walked up to them, looking like a statue, and... something about the exams? They had exams already? It was the first freaking day of school!

Still, he couldn't let it slide. "Yo, leave her alone, dude. She's in. You're in. Let it go." He said plainly, eying the other student. "By the way, what is your Quirk anyway? There are way more quirks that change appearance here than expected."

"I might have gotten in, but thanks her my friend and five other kids were disqualified from the hero program!" The kid was clearly pissed, ignoring the questions given to him.
"You should leave, you don't deserve to be here," the boy gave her a light shove, but it was clear to everyone that he was holding himself back. If provoked he'd be ready to start a fight.
Hikari threw up her hands as a sort of surrender, defiantly not wanting to escalate the situation. The air around her getting hotter, unintentionally flaring up due to the stress.
"It wasn't deliberate, I swear! One of the robots got the best of me and, and..." she took a step back, she thought this might be an issue and yet it still surprised her to actually be confronted. She could feel the eyes of everyone in the room on her. Some of them seemed to understand what was happening, a lot were just confused. Devon included.

Devon... really had no idea what they were talking about. He had passed his own hero program with flying colors back at home, and the results were secure and good enough for his transferal here. U.A. School for those who were gifted, and those who really needed the more special training. In his case, it was a mixture of both, but he did already earn his way into his school. Hikari, to him, hadn't done anything wrong.

He put his hand to the boys chest and shoved back... flickers of flame were beginning to appear within the darkness of his body. "Step back, dude, you really don't want to get in trouble on the first day of school." He warned lightly. Hikari's own heat was also serving to make him inadvertently stronger... of which, he wasn't even aware of. "Not a good time to start a fine. Just chill."

The boy paused, thinking over the situation. He clearly looked as if he wanted to fight back, but withdrew.
"I just hope you know, you're defending a real monster," he practically spat, then he turned to go back to his seat.
It felt like in that same instant the door opened, and in came a few more students followed by an older women. Likely the teacher. There was a static in the air, everyone who witnessed the encounter were tense but seemed to pretend nothing happened. Hikari quickly sat down at the first seat available to her. Fidgeting with the buttons on her helmet and it almost immediately reverted to black.
The teacher stood in front of the class and scanned over the group, she suspected something had happened... Given how oddly quiet these kids were. Though she was no mind reader and quickly moved on. If it was an important issue it would resurface.

The women stood at a respectably tall 5'11 and taller still given her high heel shoes. Her outfit rather devoid of colour, basic and professional. Black slacks, white blouse, and a blue so dark it might as well be black blazer. Almost nothing about her was wholly unique, moderate length straight black hair, fair but reasonable complexion, and sharp facial features; but, her eyes almost cut through you like daggers. A deep brown nearly black, with a keen and knowing gaze. From behind she might seem like any Jane-Doe, but to look her in the face was down right intimidating. Lack of knowledge on her quirk certainly didn't help. Her face did not soften as she spoke, a few questions still whirring in her mind as she did.
"Welcome all, I do believe I see everyone here, but just in case I will do a quick roll call. We've started class a bit late today, so lets do this quickly before orientation begins."

Last edited:
Seeing how the situation seemed to be handled, Devon drew his hand back and put it in his pockets. Jeez, that dude really had a problem. There's no way she was a monster, some accidents just happen. Especially in the hero training examines, people just don't have their powers fully under control yet at that stage. Hell, he still doesn't have his powers fully under control. That's what this sort of training is for!

Regardless, he went to his seat, but then had a thought. When the teacher came, he glanced between them and Hikari for a moment, thinking, and decided to go for it. He wasn't really sure how these teachers would particularly react, but he was about to find out. Being bullied in school wasn't fun and it certainly wasn't very welcoming, like he was told this place was supposed to be. Besides, aren't you a part of the problem if you do nothing to stop it?

He approached her quietly as she yelled something about role call, despite looking a bit intimidating. He started quietly, so the others couldn't hear him. "Dunno if it should be a worry or not, but the other students seemed to be harassing Hikari. They sounded like they were planning on doing something." He shrugged his shoulders slightly. "Thought it might be worth the heads-up."

"Hikari..." the teacher mumbled under her breath looking back at her clipboard, "Ah Miss Takahashi, yes." Once again she scanned over the room, giving pause and thinking over what might've happened. A few of the students started talking amongst themselves, mostly in whispers, out of boredom. The teacher cleared her throat to gain everyone's attention again.

"Thank you for bringing that to my attention, Mister Abels, yes?" she seemed fairly certain in her assumption, "it will be dealt with accordingly. Why don't you take a seat now?" Though she seemed dismissive in the moment she'd already begun formulating a plan to keep her students in line, given future instigation. There was no room here for troublemakers in the Hero Program.

Devon nodded his head. That problem seemed to be taken care of now, the teacher will deal with it. "Yes ma'am." He said nodding his head briefly and turning around to go back to his seat. He didn't really know Hikari, or what had even happened, but he doubted it was worth getting into a fight over. They were probably just upset because she beat them in the entrance exam.

He made his way to a seat, which happened to be next to Hikari, settling down into it. He dropped his backpack onto the floor next to him and leaned back in the chair, drumming his fingers on the desk. Devon looked over at her briefly, noticing that her helmet had noticeably blackened once more, and the heat was much less. "You okay?" He asked.

"Oh no I'm fine," Hikari mumbled as to keep quiet, and waved off his question, she wanted to say something else but felt as if the teacher was looking right at her. So she kept quiet.
The class quickly went through roll call and then were round up to leave the class and go to the auditorium. A few kids spoke while in the halls, but something about their new teachers aura kept them quiet. No one seemed ready to really test the waters with her, not yet.

The auditorium seemed bigger now to Hikari than it did when she was first in it. Built to accommodate the whole school and plus some, but at the moment it was only the first years and second years. Almost empty feeling, and thankfully a lot quieter. Although conversations still echoed and there was normal chaos. Hikari assumed the upperclassmen would have a later assembly as the school principal took to the stage and tried to garner the students attentions.

The assembly seemed to drag on and it was clear many students weren't paying close attention. Different teachers talking, diffent sorts of speeching, rules, well wishes, thinnly veiled threats... What you might expect from an opening assembly. Maybe some other things too, Hikari couldn't pay attention try as she might. Other things occupying her mind. The boy from earlier sat just a few seats away from her, and she wasn't sure but she thought he might have been glancing over to her a few times. His reation was something she expected, but she wondered where he might take it now. His anger clearly wasn't gone yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back