Module 3.1 - Assessment [Chrysanthemum Petals in Rain]

NoisyCricket

Elder Member
A figure kneels.

"The samurai adapted to the dream remarkably, some even had the ability to shape their path within it, and others puzzled out bits of the truth."

The other figure seemed pleased with this.

"None of them grasp the full picture of course, as had been expected. Asako Gregor and Bayushi Aotora Katsu both were the most perceptive...while Yoritomo Shiori's will was the strongest. The Shiba was the most..disappointing, I suppose, but bears watching. The Agasha puzzled out some of your identity as well, but did not hit upon why she was there, as the Asako did."

The first figure hesitates. "The vision of the gaijin was not planned...and it tore the dream too soon...unable to hold on..."

Both figures grimace, as though in pain, light and shadows concealing their features. "It is unavoidable, but worrisome."

The other figure nods. "Events have been set in motion...continue to be that which I cannot."

The other figure stands and turns away, a faint tune echoes upon a cold breeze.

The warm air was crisp as the 18 young scorpion bushi stood upon the open grass field, in the shadow of Kyuden Bayushi.

"Okay, you all remember the rules?"

17 men nodded, and took their positions.

Katsu lobbed the hastily modified kemari ball to the first young scorpion, who swung his slightly oversized wooden bokken at it (Katsu had whittle down a Nodachi bokken the night before).

A miss! Katsu called out, "Strike one!"

Over the next 6 'innings' (as Katsu recalled from the dream) the bushi got significantly better at both hitting the ball, and pitching. Fielding needed some work, though that could come in time. Katsu made some notes about padded gloves for the fielders. One bushi had worn bladed kotes, and accidentally pierced the ball in the 5th inning. After that, all involved decided that kotes would be banned from play.

The 18 young scorpions played their game for most of the afternoon, slowly gathering a crowd as they did so. In the end, perhaps 40 samurai, and a smattering of peasants, had gathered to watch the game. As the final of 6 periods finished, the 18 scorpions sat down upon the benches, and began discussing the game and it's rules. Most important, they discussed how the rules might be cheated.

And thus was the first ever game of Katsu-Ball played in Scorpion lands.

Yoritomo Shiori vowed to never eat food with Gaijin spices right before bed ever again. She had had the strangest dream the night before. There had been some sort of festival in a little peasant town on the coast, and her regular traveling companions had been there, although the Dragon had been absent for some reason. She remembered playing some dice games, and then standing on a dock, watching a Gaijin ship come in. What had the captain said his name was? Pari? He had had a strange accent, not quite Thranish, but he had spoken Rokugani quite well. They had taught them a strange game that involved hitting a ball with bokken, and then running in circles...It was definitely the weirdest dream she had ever had. And yet, it had felt strangely real... Still puzzling over her dream, Shiori drained the dregs of her morning tea and finished dressing for the day. She took extra care with her appearance; she was supposed to lunch with Yo-sama today. She debated telling him about her dream, but they had more important matters to discuss today. She headed for the gardens, hoping a walk in the fresh air would clear her mind before lunch.

While I am not in the habit of recording my dreams, I found my recent nights sleep bizarre enough to merit recording for future thought. I found myself in a most frustrating dream, all of my actions seemed dulled by sleep. I was of course surrounded by the many samurai my recent assignments have made me familiar with. I should have realized it was a dream as soon as I saw the Agasha riding her horse into every building we visited in the town. The realism of the dream would have been unquestioned if it was not for that and other oddities such as when the shugenja began collapsing and the Bayushi found himself unable to administer a cup of tea. I knew I was firmly entrenched in a dream when we suddenly found ourselves competing in some horrible form of stick kimari with Gaijin. I do not know how I resisted striking down the foul beasts the moment they landed, but dreams have strange powers. Thankfully this farce of improper behavior lasted only a short time before I was released by the mornings rays. I shall have to find some truly good Sake to remove the memories of that dream.

From the Journal of Agasha Mai

I had a strange dream-like experience last night. I was travelling with my latest companions. Things had seemed a bit.. off.. most of the dream, yet it was not until I tried to cast a spell that the truth of the matter started to present itself. It seems some powerful air spirit was causing the dream. I also believe that my companions shared this dream. Strange though it was. I was troubled that these joint dreams might be a way to paralyze our group from acting in the future, but the dream Asako Gregor suggested that an air spirit was probably just showing us a good time. Why an air spirit would bring Gajin into it though is beyond me. Perhaps it was our more recent exposure to the Unicorn. Still, I will watch for more signs from this air spirit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back