Mod 3.2 - Whispers of the Forgotten [Chrysanthemum Petals in Rain]

The hardwood floors of the room are bare save for the single tatami mat. The flickering light from the lanterns in the room washes the meticulously polished floor in warm light. Hida Kumo kneels on the mat wearing only his Hakama; he is bent over a small box. After a moment he straightens with a small bottle of ink and the glint of a needle. His now visible chest reveals a serpentine tattoo covering his torso it's color shifting along it's growing length. Closer inspection reveals the scales to be Kanji. Kumo unseals the vial, revealing a bright blue ink, reminiscent of crane courtiers. Dipping the needle with a measured movement, his hand pauses over the tail as he recalls the last few days.

Celebration. Wedding.

Quick short jabs of the needle solidify the memories in his mind. A celebration in crane lands, a chance for many successful weddings. There was a chance to strengthen the wall here truly.

Strength. Worry

A small piece of cloth quickly cleans the site of his work. It looks as if the body of the snake is overgrowing the tail as it waits for the rest of the story. There was much chance to show the forgetful clans the strength of the crab here, even if it was with our scholars in the Kuni. Our colleague Mai's random warning of crimes against the empire was most unsettling. Is it not enough that we keep their borders safe, must we police their cities as well?

Duty

The two most recent Kanji touch and stretch towards the tip of what will be the new tail. Our courtiers expressed great interest in Agasaha Mai, I may not understand her actions but there was no option but to keep her safe from harm. A waste of strength of arms when we were forced to slap down several mistaken ronin to protect Mai. Her safe return accomplished as promised, although I find strings of duty being tied to these seemingly unbelievable claims.

Kumo wiped the needle clean and carefully set up the supplies. The warm light flickered on as he began to polish the floor again.

Dear Yo-sama,

I have had an interesting but enjoyable time here in Crane lands. While I was not overjoyed at your orders to try to find a husband here, I understand the reasoning behind them, and have done my best to fulfill them. I have made the acquaintance of a rather important young Hare samurai who is currently traveling the Empire under a false name. When he has completed his journey, I believe we will likely become engaged. I hope this is acceptable to you.

Something else of note has happened while I was here. Agasha Mai was approached by a Doji trained as an Asako librarian who was concerned about her sister. She informed me and later the rest of our traveling companions of the issue. We investigated, and fear that the sister may have been under the influence of the group known as the Kolat. I know little of them, but enough to know that this is not a good sign.

I hope this letter finds you well.

Your devoted student,

Yoritomo Shiori

Dear Hajime-san, (on the outside this letter is addressed to Usagi Haiyai, not Hajime)

I very much enjoyed making your acquaintance during our recent time in Crane lands. I hope you are enjoying your travels and look forward to hearing about them. I often think fondly of the chances we had to make music together, and hope that I will get a chance to sing along with your biwa again in the future. I hope this missive finds you well and that the Fortunes watch over you in your journeys.

Fondly,

Yoritomo Shiori

Users who are viewing this thread

Back