• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom MLP: Age of Exploration - Nightmares Rising

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Now it is time to decide the final fate of Starlight Glimmer. It was later that Celestia learned about what really happened, how that sort of haven't had somehow gone down at all. And, safe to say... Luna and others get to witness some of the darkest rage Celestia has ever had, so filled with anger that she actually briefly summoned forth Shadow Magic, of all things. Of course it quickly died down because she could not sustain it, but it is a telltale sign that if Celestia knew while they were a deity... Starlight would not have survived the day.

But that was almost a full year ago, and in that time, she has calmed down... a little. Celestia has been far more protective of Luna, and to an extent, Aurora as well than she ever has before. It's difficult to protect her daughter while they're dead and up in the Weave patching things up, but she can do her part a little bit down here by making sure that magic around her is properly respected. Although, out of everything in that day, she had a massive sense of remorse and guilt for the way she had hurt Silvanus. It wasn't intentional to blow up like that, but... Daybreaker seeing Nightmare again triggered a response she has never had before. Although, to be frank, it was probably for the better the body was removed... she did it in the worst way possible.

Twilight Sparkle plain did not have the time to worry about anything other than ruling. She was admirable in the sense that, when ponies absolutely need her for something, the mare somehow manages to deliver. They took control practically immediately, using a variety of tactics to calm the populace down as best she could, and increasing security as much as possible in Equestria. With three out of their four goddesses gone, they must make up the difference in raw pony power. They have to stay one step ahead of any other nations in the world right now in terms of national security.

This also meant that Starlight was pretty much out of sight, out of mind for the majority of the year. The only times she got a chance to think about them was during the rare day she had some time to herself. Which, that is to say, she felt nothing for Starlight. Hate for killing Aurora, yes. Disgust in them that they somehow still got Trixie killed, and agreed to practically enslavement just for a little more time with them. She really thought they had changed. Starlight is still as misguided as ever in what she does, and now they have to judge them for it. Honestly, if it weren't for Aurora wanting them alive, Starlight would have been incinerated by Daybreaker's blast.

Appearing in the no-magic cube, they looked around briefly, and Celestia arched an eyebrow at Aurora. "... Yeah, well, my horn is bigger still." But it broke into a massive smile, stepping forward to hug her daughter. "It's good to see you again, dear."

Twilight, on the other hoof, was totally stunned for a moment! She kind of just stared at Aurora with a big gaping look on her face. If she isn't careful, a fly might roll up into her mouth. When Celestia stepped back from them is when she finally seemed to come out of her momentary paralysis, launching herself forward and hugging Aurora with a squeal! If it was ever up in the air that Aurora was missed, it no longer is just by the sheer reaction of that alone.

She didn't even know what else to do! Twilight was crying and hugging them tightly before her mind had fully processed any of it. "Auroooora!" Twilight took a step back just enough so she could look at them, grinning from ear to ear. "W-Welcome back! I-I, um..." Twilight.exe has stopped responding.

Last edited:
Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Shadeofshade Shadeofshade
... That just got Avedon kicked in the throat again! Thankfully Luna was a weak little baby in this form, so she didn't really have much power behind it at all. Which probably just made him mock her even more, and just made her kick him more! It was a vicious cycle. "... When this is all said and done, Avedon, you are no longer my paladin. You're just going to be some weird sad vampire who wishes he'd been nice to me when I was mortal. Also fuck off, Aurora. You should have stayed gone longer."

Luna was trapped on the fucking moon for a thousand years, what is waiting one year to see Aurora to her? It was nothing. She barely even noticed it. In fact she barely noticed any of these past twenty years! After being alone for so long, all this time seemed to just fly by. It was wonderful and also a little scary just to see how quickly the world moved on!

"Next time you're the one going on a year long death vacation, mother. Also hi, sunshine." Aurora gave Celestia a little hug as well! Between immortals, this year apart wasn't exactly a big deal. Probably the equivalent of not speaking for a day between mortals. Twilight, on the other hoof, had never experienced anything like this and so Aurora was completely caught by surprise when Twilight started hugging her and crying. "Uhhhhh....." Aurora.exe has stopped responding. Aurora just stared at Celestia with obvious confusion. Oh, right... mortal. Or prior mortal. Not old. A year probably seemed like a long time to Twilight!

"... Yes. I missed you too!" Aurora reached out ruffle Twilight's mane a little bit! This year apart didn't bother her too much, but obviously it bothered Twilight and that bothered Aurora. "We can all chat and make-out later. We have somepony to speak with..."

Walking over to Starlight's cell, Aurora wasn't shocked at all to see that Starlight looked crazy. She was crazy, this look suited her. "Starlight..." Aurora reached through the bars, making a move to hug Starlight!

... And if Starlight came within grabbing distance, Aurora grabbed her and slammed her face into the bars! Pretty fair payback, considering.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

Starlight continued to stare in disbelief as Aurora came close. She was here, and she was back. Starlight had basically been waiting for the moment, and now it was here, didn't know what to say or how to react. Every imaginary conversation she'd ever had vanished. She saw Aurora reach through the bars as if offering a hug. Starlight teared up and moved closer.

And then pain. Lights in her eyes. She slunk down, grasping her head. And sniffed once, twice. And then started ugly sobbing.

"Aurora! I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" she wailed from the floor, with her head against the bars, looking up at her former teacher. She was such a pitiable, pathetic shell of a once-Hero of Equestria. A truly broken mare, mentally and emotionally. While she had things to live for, she had been starved of contact with every single one of said reasons for the past 365 days.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Avedon grimaced a bit but didn't quite make a move to comfort her or hold Aurora at fault for that. If someone had gotten him killed...well he'd likely knock out a few teeth of their own at the very least. Still, Starlight's reaction was just...that mare was already hurt and broken. That would feel good for Aurora and he was sure she needed it, but seeing it as a way to "teach" Starlight her lesson at this point was quite moot. There was no satisfaction in seeing such a helpless mare sobbing on the floor to him.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
This is pretty much like seeing Aurora again after a day or two. The span of a year isn't all that long at all for an immortal, and it didn't feel so long for Celestia either. It felt like Aurora wasn't really gone for that long at all, possibly because Luna was still with her for it. Her vision of time is still extremely skewed from being an immortal goddess for so many years, far long than anybody else in the world by a long shot, save some Primordials or her wife.

Celestia giggled quietly at the interaction between Aurora and Twilight. For her student, it was probably like an eternity, combining that with the weight of the world resting solely on their shoulders for the past year. It's no wonder that Twilight is extremely happy to see them, both in fact that the mare is positively in love with Aurora, and so somebody else can actually share the burden again. It isn't easy ruling an entire kingdom alone. Celestia can attest to that. If it weren't for immortality, she would have so many gray hairs right now...

Twilight was just happy to have Aurora back, she didn't even care at the moment. She is like a neglected puppy, the slightest attention was enough to satisfy her for the moment. Kissing and making out with Aurora in front of everybody wasn't quite on her mind. So, she followed along with the others to see Starlight, where her mood took a sharp turn to somber look on her face, disappointment and bitterness taking the place of her previous happiness.

Unsurprisingly or not, Celestia's face did not change whatsoever when Aurora slammed Starlight's head into the bars. For everything that others ponies know her to be; kind, forgiving, compassionate, patient... none of it applies to her family. Celestia will hold a grudge for all of eternity when somebody threatens her family, getting her wife and daughter killed and doing irreparable mental damage to everybody. She is a very vindictive bitch.

Twilight winced slightly from it. Honestly, if she was up front there, she may have done way worse. The ugly tears made her frown, glancing at Aurora briefly, trying not to say anything at all for now. There are a lot of things she would like to say but none of her words are going to help, just reduce Starlight even further, if that is possible. But she couldn't stop herself from feeling a twinge of compassion go through at seeing them in such disarray. She was always taught to be kind, even to her enemies. It's too bad that she can't kill her conscience.

"... So. I kept her alive just as you wanted, Aurora. Now what?" Her eyes turned to her marefriend, arching an eyebrow. "What's your plan? Keep them down here until they rot away? Are we here to decide her fate?"

Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Shadeofshade Shadeofshade
Hurting Starlight definitely didn't make Aurora feel any better, but she wasn't really trying to make herself feel better. Nor was she trying to teach Starlight some kind of weird lesson. Her mother might teach lessons via pain, but she never did so. No, Aurora only hurt Starlight there because she wanted to get even. There was no real satisfaction in it, besides just getting a little bit of revenge on Starlight. But Aurora isn't a very vengeful mare, so it kinda just left her feeling numb.

... Luna, on the other hoof, thought this was hilarious. "HA! Did you see that?!" She asked while shaking Celestia's leg intensely, with what little strength she had! "That was cold blooded! I raised a monster! Ha!"

Aurora was used to Luna by this point so she barely even noticed the comment. Instead her ears swiveled to Twilight when her fiancee began to speak, and Aurora's head turned right afterwards to look at her. "... Yes. Decide her... fate. Yes." Aurora was planning on just executing her!

Looking back at Starlight, Aurora addressed her directly. "Starlight Glimmer. You have caused many problems these past few months. Do you even realize what could have happened if Nightmare hadn't been such an incompetent fool in my body? You put Eques- no, the world in mortal danger. You have rendered both of my parents mortal. You killed my precious Mother Moon, who only now lives because of Celestia's sacrifice." Luna winced at that one. She definitely wasn't going to be over dying anytime soon. "You directly caused the destruction of Ponyville by Daybreaker, and also caused my own demise for a time. For these crimes, I sentence you to d-..."

"... She also lost her wife." Luna piped up, much to the surprise of Aurora. Luna is not the one she expected to be showing mercy today. "Her actions got Trixie killed. The one event that started all of this, ended up happening regardless. Everything Starlight wanted to avoid, ended up happening anyway. Not only that, but I know what it's like to deal with Nightmare Moon, better than anypony here. We do not even know that Starlight's actions were her own. She would not even know. I... I don't even know if mine were."

Scratching the back of her head, Luna frowned a bit. "... She's lost enough, Aurora. Her wife, her family, her friends, her home. Don't take her life as well. At least we all still have ours, mortal or not."

... Aurora was actually speechless! For now she just wanted to see what the others had to say, and she looked around at them to get a feel for their agreement or disagreement with Luna's sentiment.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof

Avedon politely listened to both of them before he said his own peace. Avedon had always been a harsh judge. An unrelenting man that separated innocent from guilty with his blade and no room for anything between. He had been young. Time had never softened him, but it had grown his mind and his experiences beyond the narrow confines that once defined him.

Avedon had lost a love, a daughter, and any hope of a life beyond an endless series of conflicts before dying in some battle against a horror who's name he likely did not even know yet. His only reward would be being called a hero by a populace he never understood and would never understand him. He had nothing left to bargain for or weaknesses for Nightmare to exploit in their conflicts, but many years ago when he first held his sickly daughter in his hooves and felt how helpless he truly was to do anything for her...in that moment he had learned to understand why ponies would be willing to burn down the world to save the single soul that meant the most to them.

"Starlight chose to conspire with one of the greatest horrors this world has ever known. An evil only a fool would trust...but she is not alone in that choice."

He said with a sigh, glancing to Luna but not placing any actual blame on her in his eyes, merely...acceptance.

"Nightmare Moon has existed since before the first pony drew breath, and the moment the second pony came into being she has been setting out to create mistrust and suspicion against one of them. We have seen ponies and ancient dragons alike controlled by Nightmare's promises. When even a deity with millennia of experience and all that divine protection and power couldn't resist her, what hope could there be for a mortal with a spirit broken in mourning?"

"Celestia, Twilight...both of you lost your wives in this last year. Blame Starlight for it if you wish but do remember the pain. How much you'd be willing to give for it to not be so. Even a thousand years ago, Celestia you chose to banish Luna, a decision who's pain to make I know must have been staggering. Painful or not you still made it rather than slay her and end Nightmare, you listened to your love on the hope that Luna could be saved rather than killed. A hope that was thankfully answered and Luna was restored, but so was Nightmare let loose back out onto the world. My own life has been directly haunted and controlled by Nightmare's deeds ages ago, just as in my youth I passed on the suffering of that dark legacy to many who did not deserve it."

"The truth is Starlight, Luna, Celestia - all of our decisions have led to this at one point or another. We have made choices that stretched far beyond the immediate actions and knowledge we could have at the time, and it led to further suffering and forcing those same choices onto others. It has been a bloody, painful chain stretching to an ancient time before a single soul in this room was born. However, the true architect of all of it lies in the abomination rotting inside Night's Wrath for the rest of eternity."

"Starlight has been broken and tormented here. Trixie is dead. The fillies of some of Equestria's greatest heroes have lain lay weeping and confused as both their parents were taken from them in a single day...and they have only a weary corpse to look after them."

He looked down at the sniveling unicorn curled into the darkness of that cell with a grimace.
"She's shattered and pathetic. She was once a defender of this nation that risked her life and soul for what she thought was right. What danger her death would prevent I do not see. If the only lingering ramification of this fool's crime is leaving Equestria defenseless, then make her rectify it. Her blood spilled on these cold stones will not add to our nation's strength."

"I know justice, and I know vengeance. Executing Starlight manages to be neither."

The sun-scarred vampire shook his head and turned on Starlight, slowly stepping away back to line. He spoke this much for what he saw as a traitor but ultimately, live or die, the choice was not his to make. The path before him, and before Equestria would be the same.

Last edited:
Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Avedon Avedon
The pain that Starlight Glimmer has brought onto them all a year ago is hard for Celestia to look past. Even as a mortal, her heart burns with hatred, but whether that has been partially directed towards them from Nightmare is left up for debate. A change happened in her eyes that she began to see Starlight not as they are, but simply as another pawn of Nightmare. It was unlucky of them that a group of mortals, sent out to kill a marauding dragon a long time ago, would meet with Nightmare and the resulting fight ended in Trixie's death.

Celestia cannot forgive them for killing her daughter and her wife. She cannot do it. But seeing this mare now, broken and bordering on insanity in a place that deprives a unicorn of part of who they are, she also does not wish to kill them, oddly enough. This mare has already served her punishment in the form of Trixie's second death, and this time... they didn't come back. Starlight will have to live out the rest of her days with the knowledge of the wife and family she failed.

Nodding her head slightly with Luna and Avedon, Celestia let out a deep sigh.

"... We've all been witness to this terrible tragedy time and time again. Years ago, it started with an innocuous mission to find a dragon that had been causing some havoc. A black dragon, and in that quest, these poor adventurers found something far greater than themselves resting within that dragon. Nightmare. Starlight and Trixie were among the four that entered that cave, and four of them also came back out. But the cost was clear. Trixie lost her life. Nobody can be sure what truly happened in there; as I understand it, Starlight and Nightmare were completely alone for a period. She may have already tried Wish and didn't know what else to do to save her wife. Nightmare preyed upon their grieving mind."

She frowned deeply, eyes training solely on Starlight. "You are wrong in the sense that I chose to banish them. I did not know what the Elements might do in that moment, Avedon, I was simply trying to survive. I grew content with my position, throwing my weight and power around with the arrogance only a ruler who has grown fat off the people could do. I overshadowed my sister who did not receive their dues. I failed them in a time where they needed me the most, and when I finally did try, it was too late. My mistake caused the Eclipse War. It took the lives of thousands of ponies. It nearly took the life of the one pony who means the most to me. I... understand... the desperation. The desperation that Starlight likely felt to save Trixie. I feel it for Luna as well."

"But in truth, it's hard for me to forgive them still. Just looking at them feels me with terrible rage. They hurt me, they hurt my daughters, they hurt my wife. They hurt my student and they hurt my ponies. For all of these things that they have hurt... haven't they suffered enough?"
Celestia glanced at Aurora. Her wing settled over Luna's back, sitting down. "Look around you, everybody. Do you see who is here and who is not? Starlight made the mistake, yes, but they paid for it with the death of Trixie. For the rest of us, this ordeal has turned out nearly perfectly. For all of the hate that I feel for Starlight right now, the pony they were trying to save has been the cost of the fight. They've lost their family, their friends, their home. The only thing they have left is their life."

Her eyes settled on Aurora. "Would you really take away the only thing they have left now? Starlight no longer even has her magic anymore. Starlight made a mistake, but my mistake cost so much more than hers did. I cannot judge her for whatever it takes to save her wife when I'm still unsure of what lengths I would stop at either. Spare them. They've suffered enough."

Celestia fell silent after that. Three out of four parties--not including Aurora--have spoken to spare Starlight, despite this clearly being a capital offense. Yet even that has been phased out for the most part, it happened many years ago. Now only Twilight remained.

Twilight Sparkle walked up to the bars of the cell that was holding Starlight. She glanced at Aurora briefly, poking at the metal with a hoof. "I... Um, do you mind... lifting the bars? I want to talk to them directly, not through a cage." This will be the first time that she has truly been able to talk to Starlight in a long time. Out of all the ponies here, Twilight knew them the best of all, aside from Trixie.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Once the bars were parted for Twilight to go through, she stepped in past the cage, her eyes not leaving Starlight for a moment now. She wasn't really sure whether to consider them a possible threat or not currently. While they don't have any magic, and Twilight currently has her alicorn strength... it's still a possibility. If they decided to attack her right now, that is the end of it. Starlight won't have much of a defense anymore if they've become so deranged due to this place.

Yet, surprisingly enough, Twilight also did not strike them. Rather, she approached them slowly and stooped down, lifting Starlight back onto her hooves. Her face went through a million emotions. Anger at them for hurting so many ponies, disappointment in how they've failed to uphold what she has been taught. Most of all, the betrayal she felt. Starlight has betrayed Twilight. Her trust in them is gone, her hope for them diminished. Yet there is still a spark.

What Luna said is true. Nightmare is very good at manipulating ponies. For Starlight's sake... she is riding on the hope that maybe it was not Starlight. That Nightmare played them for a fool, taking control and abusing them just like they did to Luna. She really, truly doesn't want to believe that this was all Starlight's doing. They're at fault for making the deal, but maybe the rest was circumstantial and not their fault. That's what she wants to believe anyway.

"... I don't think it needs to be said... You've hurt me more than I can put into words. I trusted you. Aurora... trusted you. Entrusted with becoming a Chosen." Twilight started simply, feeling her way around the issue. She won't let anger control her and deliver a pony to death for things they may not have had control over. "You hurt us all. Luna and Aurora have every right to wish you dead right now, but somehow, Luna sees something. Celestia and Avedon agreed. There are two sides to this story, Starlight. I want to know yours before I cast judgment."

She waved her hoof at them. "There are some blank spaces still. You made the deal, so I want to be sure... what happened in that cave when you and Nightmare were alone? The years that followed? Was it really you that did this or did Nightmare do it through you?"

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon

Starlight listened to everything Twilight said to her. She had imagined her saying much worse, many many times, so she wasn't too shocked or upset. Starlight's eyes were devoid of the will to keep going. She lived for the hope that something will happen tomorrow, or if not, eventually. That one day, her kids would be grown, and they'd come to visit. She lived out of hope and obligation.

"I would never ask for your forgiveness, Twilight. And though I am truly sorry, it won't help you to hear that. If my last act on this Earth is to tell you all my story, as I understand it, then so be it. I can accept that, though it's a shame I never got to say goodbye to my children. Anyway,

Eleven years ago, I made a choice. It was a terrible choice, and also the last true choice I felt I ever had in this matter. Nightmare whispered to me. I knew full well it was Nightmare. I knew what she wanted. I knew it was wrong. but I wasn't in my right mind. My wife had died right in front of me. I was vulnerable, and emotional, and I made a mistake we all paid for. I willingly took her deal. She brought Trixie back to life, by possessing her, and living through her.

I was able to forget about it, and to forgive myself, far too easily. We had a family. While I regret the choice....I can't bring myself to truly wish anything that caused my daughters to be born never happened. I'd never considered it before, but it's possible Nightmare held some sway over my mind. If she did, I never noticed though. It's worth nothing that the moment Nightmare died, I truly felt regret, but that could be because I lost the mare I'd started this whole mess by saving.

The night of the Gala, she chose to present herself to me. She could read my thoughts. If I didn't give her Aurora, she would kill Trixie immediately. I stupidly had hopes, made excuses, thought I could somehow keep everyone alive if I agreed to the demands that'd keep Trixie alive a little bit longer. I was constantly looking for a loophole, or a way to outsmart her. I even tried to warn Aurora as best I could in the message I sent without arousing Nightmare's suspicion. I.....failed.

This didn't happen because I cast aside my empathy, compassion, love and hope. It happened because of them. Nightmare manipulated and used me. Outsmarted me. But I'm not making excuses. I'm the reason she was able to do so in the first place. You were right in choosing me because I was good-hearted, caring, and compassionate. Your one mistake was thinking I was also strong.

I'm so sorry, Twilight. I now submit to you, and accept your decision, as Empress of Equestria, as my teacher.

And as my friend."

With this, she bowed her head. She looked...at peace. As if whatever happened now, she had few regrets.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Avedon Avedon
Twilight listened to the story that Starlight presented her with. The story of a mare trying her best to save her wife, live with the mistake that they made, and find a way to save everybody. It was wrong of them to ever trust in Nightmare to begin with. They should have realized, in that very moment, that Nightmare was presenting a deal with the devil. Not the kind that lived below, but rather much more nefarious. It's just like the monkey's paw--it gives you what you want, but the cost of your desires is never told.

Nightmare took advantage of them in a moment of weakness. Starlight's mind was not entirely there. Twilight can at least sympathize with that, but she also had the strength to keep moving forward even when things became difficult. Aurora's death broke her, but she knew that she would at least see them again. Starlight... is offered no such luxury. A problem of mortality, in not knowing if she would ever see Trixie again. It's easy to say that she wouldn't do what they did when she knows Aurora will reincarnate.

Starlight very likely was influenced by Nightmare without them knowing it. Not in a way that would draw suspicion, as they're apparently clever enough to create such chaos that Discord would be impressed. Yet, even still, she can hold it against them somewhat. If it wasn't completely enrapture of the mind, they still had the ability to break away. They could have told Aurora in secret and perhaps this might have been avoided. Nightmare cannot always listen in.

Glancing backwards towards the rest of the ponies assembled here, she glanced between them all and then back to Starlight. "If it were not for those ponies standing behind me right now, I probably would have shipped you off to your death without another thought. I still somewhat want to. But they all have much more reason to want you dead than I do right now. You nearly stole Celestia's whole family from her. Luna, Aurora... Silvanus was likely next on the chopping block if Nightmare succeeded."

"I was your teacher. In all of this, apparently I forgot to teach you how to stand alone. To be the pillar of strength that you need to get through harsh times. For that, I am sorry. I cannot... hold you completely accountable for your actions, as it seems that Nightmare was still controlling you through most of it, whether or not you really knew it. I don't know what I would have done in a similar situation, if I did anything at all. I still believe there were alternative avenues for you to take."

Closing her eyes for a moment in thought, she nodded her head. "I... agree with Celestia, Luna, and Avedon. You've served your punishment already. What more we do to you is only cruel at this junction. I cannot find it in my heart to forgive you, but you are still useful to Equestria in power. Killing you would do nothing." She glanced at Aurora. "The final decision is yours, Aurora. My vote is to spare them. What do you vote for?"

Aurora listened to all of these points passively, though her eyes remained on Starlight almost the entire time other than her brief glance of surprise at Luna's compassion. Aurora's eyes were like needles baring into Starlight, the faint shimmer of azurefire in the depths of her eyes making her gaze hard to ignore or brush off. It's clear that she was judging Starlight as she stared at her, taking in everyone's opinions and forming her own with their help.

Twilight's opinion was the most important to Aurora, obviously; though both Celestia and Luna weighed heavily on her mind as well. It seemed like everyone was in agreement. Aurora wasn't about to go against Twilight, Celestia and Luna all at the same time. Besides, she'd never been a particularly vengeful mare. Turning to look at Starlight Glimmer again, Aurora frowned. "... Well, you killed me but that barely even phases me, I've died several times before. Your actions rendered both my parents mortal, but I think they actually enjoy that. Your biggest sin is causing the death of your wife, who has been denied an afterlife because of your actions."

"... Besides, you are just a sad little mortal. Not even I was immune to Nightmare's influence, and I am truly divine!"
Ah yes, there was the infamously arrogant Aurora. Always looking down on the 'tiny ponies' and their little problems. Thankfully Twilight was starting to make her not quite so arrogant, but it still came out sometimes. "If even my divine greatness can be overtaken by Nightmare, it stands to reason that a tiny little mortal could as well."

Aurora's horn lit up, and all of the group would find themselves standing on the outskirts of the nearly-rebuilt Ponyville. Starlight included. She had her magic back, but for now she was cut off from anything above Apprentice level spells. Maybe in time she could earn Aurora's trust back and gain access to higher magics. For now, it's a wonder that Starlight was even being allowed access to any magic at all. "... Leave, Starlight Glimmer. Rebuild. Mourn. Prepare a funeral for your wife, many will wish to pay their respects. Until then... be well."

With that being said, Aurora disappeared in a little flash of blue flame. There was nothing else for her to say, and nothing else she cared to hear.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Avedon would have left then and there. He still cared little for Starlight's excuses even if he understood them. He was the one who would need to bear this broken mare back to fox the pain of the two foals he had been watching over this past year.
"Gather your strength and your composure Starlight. I'll see you cleaned up before I let you into my house looking like this but its time for you to see your children again."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon

The moment she found herself outside, Starlight shielded her eyes and groaned. She had forgotten how bright the sun was. She kept her eyes closed as she listened to Ave. "That's a good idea. I am not ready physically or emotional to see my fillies yet. Everything's happening so fast! And I need to give Trixie a funeral. You'll probably want to help with that too. It's too bright."

She was talking very fast, with a nervous energy to her words. She'd clearly forgotten how to even talk to people. Still it was amazing how sane she was, considering.

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
"Well more a memorial really. We can't hold a funeral without a corpse..."
He sighed and glanced to Starlight.
"Alright I get the hint. I'll go make one. You have some blue paint ready?"
It defied him how a maximum security hellhole like that couldn't have some easily accessible arts and crafts stastions for its prisoners but he supposed she must not have thought so far ahead. He'd pick some up later. He motioned for her to get into a carriage as he ushered her away from that dark pit she'd spent the last year in.

The weeks came and went without anything really eventful happening. Luna and Celestia grew accustomed to their mortal forms, while Starlight glimmer was reunited with her children. Aurora had busied herself with returning to ruling, trying to forget about the fact that she had died or the feeling of Avedon's blades inside of her. She was just waiting for Starlight Glimmer to finish the preparations for Trixie's funeral, at which point they could say their goodbyes to the showmare.

Trixie's funeral was simple. With no body to bury, they had to simply use her cloak and hat which Aurora had pulled from the Weave. With no living relatives, Trixie had nopony to really be buried beside. Eventually it was decided that she would be buried just outside Ponyville, the town where she had once been hated and now was adored as a hero. Her name would go in the history books as one of the few who stood against Nightmare, which is all Trixie could wish for.

Located not far from her house, Trixie's grave consisted of a simple tombstone engraved with the words,
'Here lies Trixie Lulamoon, beloved friend, wife and mother.
Fallen in battle,
protecting those she loved.
Equestria is grateful,
praying for her soul far above.
There was no moment for farewell,
Or time to say goodbye.
She was taken too early,
With the angels now she flies.'

Behind her tombstone was a simple metal pole, with her purple cape tied around it and her hat sitting on top. Both were enchanted to not come off, and her cloak would flap forevermore in the breeze.

As a cold fall wind blew down from the mountains, Aurora teleported away and left the others to mourn as they saw fit.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Avedon had outlived many people he knew. Too many of those seemed to be the ones he loved dearest of all. Somber and weary eyes stared down at the final resting place of he first pony he had ever met that he could truly call "friend". He had spent the previous evening scouring the valley for it's best flowers and now he dropped them in a bouquet at her hooves.

"No showmare's exist could be complete without a bouquet from an admirer old friend..."
He spoke quietly. Enough for just him and her as it had always been as the two walked moonlight roads back in their youth.
"You deserved more than this...literally. The Great and Powerful being left out of your epitaph? Well I wasn't the one who wrote this, but you certainly proved you'd been right all along."

He flashed a weak smile that he felt reflect coldly and lifelessly on the grim stone before him as it too went down. He felt a bit of a fool. Talking here to a stone. He could just imagine Trixie's mocking barbs in his ears. Avedon was never the most sentimental but he felt it hard to move his legs to turn away...he felt it impossible to be anywhere else but here right now. He felt like he was dropped off at the end of a long and weary path and he could not help to fathom how differently things could have been. Would they still have led right here anyways? He hung his head and touched the stone.

"You always said you liked to leave your audience wanting more Trixie...You've certainly done that...I'll catch you in the encore friend..."
With all the resolve he could muster he turned away and left. He was unsure of where he was going now. Fewer and fewer hooves walked the road of his life with him with every step it seemed, yet he still felt their strength behind him. More than sorrow, more than loss, when Avedon thought of Trixie, he felt a warm love, and a deep gratitude for all she had given him. For all she had helped him be.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon

As Avedon walked past, Starlight nodded at him and smiled a humorless smile. "Thank you for your words," she spoke quietly. After eveypony else at that small gathering had paid their respects, including both her children, Starlight then stepped forward. She reached the hat and cloak, and ran her hoof along the rim of the hat.

"You got to be the big epic hero one more time, just the way you'd have liked it....This feels wierd. I should be crying right now. But I've already spent this past year with nothing else to do but mourn you. I'm out of tears. Hm. Maybe if I keep talking, they'll come. I owe you a soppy, dramatic funeral speech. I know you won't accept anything less.

When you died in that cave, ten years ago, I refused to accept it. I knew there was a way to save you. There had to be. Damn everything else, I couldn't live without you, and I couldn't even entertain the notion that you were lost to me. No, you just needed rescuing. I was young and stupid. And making that deal was a bad decision I shouldn't have made. It was wrong, and selfish, and evil. And I don't deserve your forgiveness if you're listening. I hurt you. I shouldn't have kept it a secret. I shouldn't have ignored it so I could have the life I wanted. I was selfish, and honestly, I was a terrible person.

But do I regret it? When I think of the ten years we lived together, loved each other, made a home, and raised a family together...I don't think regret is the right word. Because I don't and can't regret those ten years of happiness with you. You made me, Trixie. And you made me better. You made me grow up.

I've hurt Equestria, and I'll pay my dues by defending it with my life. I hurt you, and I'll pay my dues by raising our fillies into good mares that we can both be proud of."

She wiped her eyes, and sniffed.

"And now I'm crying. knew I had it in me. I still miss you, Trixie. It hurts like hell. And honestly? I hope it never stops hurting like hell. Because I love you."

Starlight pressed her forehead against the pole and was silent for almost a full minute, barring the occasional quiet sob. She looked back up, and smiled a tender, loving smile.

"The show must go on," she stated, before turning and walking away.

As Starlight turned to walk away, a strange breeze blew in the opposite direction that she was walking. It was very interesting, as this particular breeze was warm compared to the chilling autumn air all around. It wrapped around Starlight in a comfortable embrace, keeping her cozy against the encroaching cold winds. The wind picked up Trixie's cape, sending the edges of it up to tap lightly against Starlight's cutiemark as the mare turned to walk away.

... And just as quickly as it had come, the breeze disappeared and Starlight was once again struck by the chill in the air. Was it simply coincidence that this happened after Starlight's apology, or something more? Regardless, Trixie's cape was once again caught by the autumn breeze, blowing around in a dance of the winds choice.

As the last of Trixie's friends left her grave, the sun began to set on a thankful nation.

For the next several years, ponies traveling across Equestria made sure to stop by her grave, express their gratitude and leave a gift. Usually in the form of a firework lighting up the sky. Trixie would have liked that.

With Nightmare defeated, it was time for the heroes to turn their attention towards their next battle; the fight to reclaim Luna and Celestia's divinity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back