MISTAKES, CORRECTIONS, & ERRATA. [New Dawn in the North]

Hanat-Osul

Elder Member
Here is where I post retro-edits, rules clarifications, and otherwise make up for mistakes I made in-game.

PRIESTS AND PRAYER

If your character is not a priest, your prayers do not mean shit (except to the appropriate god, who gets a tiny wee little bit of Essence from your worship).  If I allow you a prayer roll, it is for my own amusement.  Any visions, visitations, prophecies, or other form of advice your receive are subjective & highly suspect.  This is player knowledge.  If your character is desperate enough to believe that the gods will hear him even though he isn't an ordained priest, he can just go on thinking that as long as he likes.  All Zeniths are priests of the Unconquered Sun, and every Sidereal is a priest of his Maiden and the gods of any astrological colleges he knows.  I think Moonshadows and No Moons are priests, as well, but don't quote me on that.

Offerings help with prayers - the more valuable the thing you sacrifice, the more likely a god is to hear you.

What Josh means to say is:

"Basically, unless you're a caste that has been retro-determined by me, that god you're serving doesn't make any effort to actually contact you and let you know that you're doing the right thing.  

Just because you're "Chosen of the Son" doesn't mean that he actually chose YOU.  He doesn't like you.  Actively.

Moral ambiguity is not just a theme in this game; it's a piece of concrete weilded by Superman bring spun at your FACE at near supersonic speeds.

You have no guidance and no help...

expect to suffer."

While I'm proud of you for figuring out the quote mechanism, don't put words in my mouth.  I find that irksome.

Gustav said:
What Josh means to say is:
"Basically, unless you're a caste that has been retro-determined by me, that god you're serving doesn't make any effort to actually contact you and let you know that you're doing the right thing.
The priest status of the various castes is laid out in the books: the main book states that Zeniths are priests, and the Sidereals book specifices the astrological colleges rule.  The Priest Merit in the Players Guide clarifies both of these.

Gustav said:
Just because you're "Chosen of the Son" doesn't mean that he actually chose YOU.  He doesn't like you.  Actively.
He doesn't, as a general rule.  The Celestial Incarna are too busy playing the Games of Divinity to give half a fuck about any one individual Solar.  This is largely written about in Sidereals and Games of Divinity, so I can see where that's not common knowledge, but it's true: the gods don't give a fuck about you.

But if you'll recall, there have been portents, omens, and signs throughout the story that hint at maybe a slight interest, on the part of the Unconquered Sun, towards your characters... especially the column of brilliant sunlight that broke through the oppressive cloud cover the day the final battle of the revolution took place.  Remember?

Gustav said:
Moral ambiguity is not just a theme in this game; it's a piece of concrete weilded by Superman bring spun at your FACE at near supersonic speeds.
If my storytelling style is too heavy-handed, comrade, just tell me.  No need to be snide about it.

Gustav said:
You have no guidance and no help...
expect to suffer."
Yes.  That's the tradeoff for the kind of power that allows you to cast down gods & empires.  You have to do it all by yourself, and you have to suffer.  That's always been the price of greatness.[/i]

I am remined by a quote that has always interested me, "No good deed ever goes unpunished". And also "nothing good ever comes easy". Gust just imagine if I was still storytelling. I mean the city was deisesed, people died and lost limbs. It would be as overwhealming as posible. Enjoy the vacation.  :shock: p.s. does this look like Stewy from family guy or is it just me?

Ok, again going completely off topic. From looking at the combos on here and all, I now assume that you can have combos that are from different trees? Aside from the ones like Tiger Leap and whatnot. I was just clarifying to see what you (Josh) thought about this, as when the game started I was ,and i think everyone was, that combos could not switch charm trees. Just seeing your stance on this and wanted other input on it as well as i thought this a major game note.

A COMBO OF A DIFFERENT TREE

As I explained to Drew on the phone (and as Jubal already knows from showing me certain Abyssal Combos he, in his arousal, has built): I don't care if you mix trees as long as it makes sense and is creative.  For instance: Thrown Charms mixed with Crypt Bolt.  Why the fuck not?  You can throw a Crypt Bolt.  Makes sense to me.  Even Charms that seem to contradict each other could work: Crimson Waterfall Attack & Blood-Freezing Technique.  You slash a bitch open and they bleed like crazy... and have to watch as their own vital fluids turn to ice on their body.  Or in mid-air.

I'm fond of WW's Golden Rule: "STORYTELLER IS EVIL GOD-GENIUS.  HIM HAVE HEAP BAD JU-JU (I'm paraphrasing)."  So if you can explain to me, in a satisfactory fashion, why I should let you Combo a Craft Charm with an Archery Charm, go for it.

Oakheart's Bow

Question: Did we find Oakheart's bow when we found his body? Drew and I both think so but we're not positive. (Lyra needs a good personal offering to the US after her nice double botch last time.)

If I said you did, I'm retro-editing that.  Gorefang wouldn't leave a valuable chunk of orichalcum like that lying around, unfortunately.

Question, we are going ahead with the new way anima abilitys work work in 2nd edition, even if we don't switch over to it right? Just clarifing.

Kabuki said:
Question, we are going ahead with the new way anima abilitys work work in 2nd edition, even if we don't switch over to it right?
For the Solars game?  Whenever we get back to it, yes.

I have given (after reading through 2nd Ed. a bit) some thought to doing a full conversion... but since we have no way of knowing how much experience has been awarded & spent, that'd prove really difficult.  At least, to do with any degree of accuracy.

For any game that you or Jubal ST, I can't speak, obviously.

It'd be labor intensive, but we could make our characters from scratch, and go backwards, counting each XPenditure (I made a funny) and getting an approximate amount, which you then could adjudicate.

Or, we could do something akward and total our points and let us respend them, but have some restriction like the pooled points must be spent within that caste or something.  

As for my game, the Solar anima abilities will be updated; I haven't read the updated Abyssal anima powers.  Most likely, I'll use the updated ones.

Before I forget, allow me to post the following house rule:

INCANTATIONS

When an Exalt uses sorcery or a Combo, players may opt to give a short, in-character incantation that expresses the purpose/ magical nature of the technique, followed by its name.  Sufficiently creative & concise incantations may be rewarded with stunt dice, Essence recovery, or other effects as adjudicated by the ST.

EXAMPLE:  Student of Agonies confronts a group of the Bull of the North's icewalker skirmishers in the woods north of Cherak.  Unimpressed with his claim to be allied with the Solars, they rush him.  He raises his arms, fingers contorted with occult power, and gestures grandly towards them with a shout of, "Terrestrial fury, fly on black wings!  Death of Obsidian Butterflies!"  The lightly-armored barbarians are instantly shredded.

When Kaneko's Exalted lieutenants learn of this incident, they are understandably upset... and the marital artist "Comrade Shadow" is sent to bring the Student to justice.  They meet in the fire-ravaged ruins of a village sacked by Bloodiron's mercenaries, and pit the Ebon Shadow against the Hungry Ghost in an elaborate duel.  Student of Agonies allows himself to be hit several times, giving a great show of being wounded, and the Solar fighter grows confident.  Disdaining to defend, he strikes what he believes will be a mortal blow... and is dismayed to see the Student grin as the distinctive Essence-flare of a Combo takes shape behind him.  "Woe and ruin to the fool who turns his back!" the Student shrieks.  "Bloody Turncoat Strike!"  He earns 2 stunt dice for his attack and leaves the Solar a bleeding heap on the ground.

Possible bonus effects for sorcery include strengthening and rushing.

And you get one free experience point if you can identify the source of this rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back