Mission: Feathers and Tentacles

D. Rex

Magic Eight Ball
Title: Feathers and Tentacles

Leader: KingHink

Type: Private

Players: 2, @KingHink @Lazy Rocktime

Overview: In a dark place after the events regarding her adoptive father, Minato Saotome is happened upon by the strange Ophelia Zielinski. Will the corvophile be wierder out and driven to a horrifying madness, or will solace be found in the blossoming of a special friendship?

9:25 PM, a cloudy night in Baltimore. Rain seems on the horizon, but no rain has fallen over the city as of now. In the blackness of night, should one just happen to take a stroll around the park, maybe they'll make out the daunting sight of about a thousand crows congregating near the park lake. Perched on trees or flying around the area, they are all uniformly squawking like the bird brains they are and appear to gather around one solitary young woman. Shapely body and long disheveled black hair wearing blue boyshorts and a white NYU hoodie, she looks like a urban teenager version of the Ring Girl. Most likely in her mid-twenties, she bears a somber expression, evidently having cried before. And numerous times, too.

This is Minah Saotome, or vos Scheiffer as she'll have you know. Poor girl is going through some tough times and because of her unique ability to control birds, these crows around her are feeling those tough times. Her foster father, the only man she could count on, was recently arrested on counts of attempted murder. The whole ordeal was and still is a massive mind screw for her. She only just begun to feel comfortable under his care and now he had to ruin everything. What cruel god lets such shit happen to one girl so many times?

Overwhelmed by these thoughts, she cries yet again.  The crows, her subjects, parrots her in turn. The immediate air fills with cries and squawks of pure emotion. Despair that can't be translated to words. A part of Minah knows she shouldn't be like this; she might attract unwanted attention. The most unscrupulous men preyed on the weak and broken just like her. But what can she do now? You can't stop these tears once they're shed so why even try?  

@Lazy Rocktime

Dark. Quite. For the most part... peaceful. Ophelia enjoyed such walks, even in the cold. Her footsteps padded softly on the concrete walkway, as she made her way deeper into the park. Wrapped in her knee length maroon coat, her pensive eyes peered out from atop the knitted scarf that hid the lower half of her face. 

It had been a day like any other day, except that it was not. Of course, it was entirely expected. Happened every year. Even though she didn't 'hate' being alone on days like this, it would have been nice otherwise. Like many other such days before, it was normally up to her to deal with it appropriately. As such she had what she needed in a drawstring pouch. Two tentacles brought the bag around to her front and opened it, to triple check to make sure she had brought everything. Despite the simple list of contents... a bag of chocolate frosted mini donuts and a lemon sports drink. With a sigh she closed it again and look up to one of the streetlights. Happy birthday Ophelia, she thought to herself solemnly. It was indeed her birthday, and like the sixteen prior... she would spend it alone. Maybe... not so happy, anymore... It was more meh... it was getting disheartening.

The deeper she moved into the park, the faded sounds of traffic disappeared. And the quite that she sought was... not here. Instead replaced by the sound of caws and the flapping of wings. Taking a shortcut through a patch of trees, she moved towards the sound. Moving through the shadows in a slightly off-balance sway as she kept her tentacles wrapped around her inside her coat. 

One. Then ten. Then hundreds. And more. Black birds barely illuminated by distant lampposts. She saw them as she neared the waters edge. In the midst of them was the form of a girl. The busty figure familiar enough... she had seen the girl about the Facility before. Oppie tended to remember these things. She couldn't remember the name though... yet, from the language, it wasn't to hard to notice her emotional state.

After a moment of silence, standing a modest distance away from crowding of birds. Oppie spoke, voice raised slightly to be heard over the cries of the Avian army. "Hello." She said, simply from her distance of safety. Her voice slightly lethargic and monontal, as it normally tended to be, "Are you okay?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Her tears have stopped flowing down. For now. Several of her crows perched themselves on her body; some rested on her hands, others on her shoulders and one roosted regally atop the head of its queen. Minah did not know whether the crows were genuinely sentient or just projections of her inner self. Regardless, wherever she was, it was the birds-especially the crows-that have been of the best company for this young, troubled girl. Humans come and go and can play with her trust like it's a toy. Crows, however, don't dare betray her. They are her servants and she is their liege. It has been that way since her forsaken days in Aceh.

Truly, her greatest fear is losing her powers and, consequently, the only friends she's ever known.

Suddenly, Minah heard a lazy voice from behind her. Despite herself, this likely benign presence caught her by surprise and caused the poor girl to shriek in shock, a genuinely scary sound. It resembled that of screamer jumpscare videos, only much more real and so, much more terrifying. The crows around her sensed their mistress's shock and responded in kind. Whoever it was that scared her was immediately swarmed the entirety of her raven army, surrounding the girl in the coat. They didn't quite shower her in pecks, merely circling dangerously close and in a way, containing a potential threat. Still recovering from the shock, Minah got to her feet and took a better look at whoever surprised her. Long black hair like hers, just a degree untidier. She wore a cute red coat that went down to her knees and a scarf that covered her face. Minah didn't see any arms about her. An amputee, perhaps? Then she remembered.

She remembered that lazy, sleep-deprived gaze from Facility 108. Must be a fellow student if she looked younger than her. Granted, plenty of people older than her looked younger than the early-blooming Minah, but still. Since she was sure this girl had no ill intentions, she willed the birds to stand down. They did so unquestioningly, but perched close to the two women, ready to mobilize should the need arise.

"Are you f-from the Facility?" Minah asked her, her voice shaky and quiet as always. "I'm sorry for the birds attacking you, you-you scared me..." She hoped that the girl didn't hold it against her.    

The rather sudden aggression fron the birds wasn't entirely unexpected. Though it crossed her mind... it didn't stop Ophelia from taking a step back and shrinking down into her coat a bit. Brining her head down further into her scarf, and narrowing her eyes. Hiding more of her face for some bit of protection... but they didn't seem to be attacking. The tentacles underneath her coat relaxed slighty. Yet her eyes darted about. There wasn't really much she could do against such a number of birds, and it currently wasn't exactly a pleasant experience.

Yet... almost as suddenly as they were whipped into a frenzy, they calmed themselves and landed. Surrounding them. Her eyes looked about the sea of birds until the other girl spoke up. After a few seconds of silence, Oppie raised her head from the scarf, exposing her face to the cold air. The smaller girl nodded, finally. "Yes, I am. I have seen you before." She said. "It's okay. I'm not hurt... I did not mean to startle you either. I saw you crying, I wanted to come see what was wrong." As Oppie spoke, the tip of a tentacle snaked up her neck and cheek from the collar of her coat. Moving across her forehead to push some strands of hair displaced by the wings of the birds to behind her ear. It then slid back down inside the coat, out of sight."I was a bit concerned. I thought you might be hurt."

@Lazy Rocktime

Now that it was confirmed that this girl attended Facility 108, Minah scrambles to figure out her name. She's mostly certain that they don't share classes as she did not see that face in class. In the hallways through passing glances, sure, but beyond that? Nothing. At the very least she has shown concern towards her current state, making her instinctual aggression all the more regrettable. Come on, Minah, you're better than this! Strangely, she sees what looks like a tentacle come from under the girl's jacket to brush hair off her face. Oh, then she must be Ophelia! Her...father often spoke of her and how unsettling it was being in her company, let alone counseling her. Well, Minah does not share that sentiment.

If anything, she thinks she's really cute.

Minah's posture grows much more relaxed, though still on the verge of tears at, like, the slightest of provocations. "Ophelia, right? Y-You don't have to be too worried, I'm quite alright," she assures Oppie unconvincingly, what with all the sniffing and the shaky voice. "What are you doing here this late at night? I mean, I'm here because nobody's home. What about you?" The woman of crows holds up a finger and one lone crow rests on it, squawking at Minah like it's saying something of importance. Which it is, actually. "The crows say that they're sorry. For attacking you. They act according to how I feel, they can't really help themselves. Flock mentality."

Despite the recent happenings regarding the sudden aggression of the birds, the edges of Ophelia's lips rose into a small smile. Breaking the usual deadpan expression that normally graced her faces. She remembered her name. That was nice. It was always nice when someone you haven't personally met remembered your name. 

"That is me. And you are Minato." She said. Oppie did a lot of stalking people watching at Facility 108. She also often eavesdropped tended to accidently overhear peoples conversations. 

Now at the mention of the birds, Ophelia would have shrugged. Unfortunately she didn't quite have the shoulders for that. Instead her head rocked subtly back and forth to denote a similar physical language of indifference. "It's okay. I did not get hurt. All is forgiven. No harm, no fowl. "

"But... I don't think I believe you about being okay. If the birds act how you feel, for one. Don't worry, I won't press."

"I like coming out late at night. Its quite and peaceful." The tentacle holding the drawstring pouch lowered from her coat sleeve and rose up to show her. "But as for me, tonight, I didn't want to wake anyone up at home so I came here to celebrate."

Ophelia looked over Minato. "Would you like to share? I probably couldn't eat all of my snack alone." That was a dead faced lie. She totally could eat them all in one sitting without batting an eye. However... she didn't want to leave Minato alone, even if she said she was okay. Most people in that state rarely were. She was quite familiar with the 'I'm fine' thing.

"It's my birthday. Company is welcome." She added, in the case that Minato might have declined if she felt like she might feel awkward or a burden. 

@KingHink

Three things. First, despite everything, Minah just can't stop herself from laughing at that 'fowl' quip. Her grasp of English and jokes in English is minimal at best, but what she does know is bird-related terminology and how to use them in a humorous manner. Second, Ophelia refers to her as Minato, a name she has long since disavowed, but remains on official documents for practical purposes. She ought to correct her soon. Third and lastly, this talk of her spending a birthday alone makes her think of how...perfect this meeting is. Two lonesome girls to be united in isolation. Beautiful.

Oh, and one more thing. Minah is hungry. She can feel her stomach rumble upon hearing the word snacks alone.

"I'd love to share them with you," she said while managing her best, sweet smile. "Happy birthday, by the way. But this doesn't seem like a good place to celebrate...I only come here because I couldn't my emotions at the time. And because there is no one at home." Even reminding herself of that fact leaves a bad feeling in her mind. Ibu was working at the Indonesian Embassy and her sister Sherina was accompanying her and Bapak...well, she doesn't want to talk about it any time soon. Normally, her brother Arya would be her company should Minah be left alone, but he hasn't come home from night school, leaving her completely alone.

Then it hit her.

"Would you like to visit my home? It's better than sitting around in the cold. And I too would appreciate the company." Normal girls her age know how presumptuous and loaded that question is. But a normal girl Minah isn't, so the open-endedness of the query flew above her head, as with most euphemisms and sayings.

Ophelia took a look around the dark and quite park, excluding the birds. To the lamp posts and trees. Then back to Minah. "I have celebrated birthdays in worse locations." She said absentmindedly, yet somehow without  the angst that would normally accompany such a statement. Anyway, Minah accepted her offer. And that was more than enough to keep Oppie smiling. "Thank you. I'm here because too many people are at home. Like. Twenty. Plus two. And most of them are sleeping." Oppie didn't want to wake them. 

Anyway, then came the curious offer from Minah. To visit with Minah at her house. That's right. Scandalous nature aside. To go home to an empty house, in the middle of the night, with an emotionally upset stranger with potentially deadly super powers.  "Okay." Ophelia said cheerfully, as if the implications escaped her entirely. "I would love to, if I wouldn't be intruding."

It wasn't from any sense of naivety. Oppie was interested. For one, it really would be nice to have a birthday with company. And the concept of comraderie really seemed to cheer Minah up. Which was nice! Besides. Minah was from 108, just like she was. Making new friends was always nice. As was seeing new places. Also... to be frank... nobody ever really invites Oppie into their home. So it was exciting as well as nice. 

@Lazy Rocktime

@KingHink

Though she fully expected the tentacled girl to accept her offer, Minah is still glad that she did so with no objections. Now that she has some legitimate human company, she wills a message to the birds: 'Thank you for your help, you may go now!' And as if it were a command, Minah's winged servants one by one fly away to their respective roosts to do whatever it is birds did at night. She never exactly cared to find out, nor do the birds find it right to tell her. Minah pulls out a scrunchie from her jacket pocket and ties her long hair into a high ponytail. You know, she only now realizes how tall she is compared to her; the two can clearly make out the height difference between each other.

And for Ophelia, she can clearly see just how curvaceous Minah really is. After all, she is only wearing a barely baggy hoodie and boy shorts that exposed a lot of her thighs. And I mean a lot. Seriously, how she isn't chilly while wearing that boggles the mind.

"You wouldn't be intruding at all," Minah assured her. It's getting increasingly easier for her to maintain a smile. "I am sure that no one will object. We are going to have so much fun! Just like birthdays are supposed to be!" The crow queen goes over to Ophelia's side and pulls on her sleeve, leading her to the way home. Usually, she'd grab hands, but she only has tentacles and they're pretty well-hidden. The two girls now walk away from the lake, one leading the other. How great this night is turning out to be.

"Home is just ten minutes away," she says as they walked through the well-lit street. She still doesn't look the slightest bit cold in this chilly night. "I hope you're fine with walking, I forgot to bring money with me. We could have took a taxi and saved a lot of time and energy." Even if it started out horribly, Minah quickly realizes that tonight is a pleasant night. The temperature is a just right sort of cool, the lowkey sounds of Baltimore's night life in the background and the clouds are starting to part, allowing some moonlight to cooperate with the light of the street lamps. So lost to herself, she doesn't realize that she is singing to nothing.

"Berjalanlah walau habis terang~

Ambil cahaya cintaku, terangi jalanmu..."1 

It's a wistful, instinctual singing. She doesn't put much effort to it, but she still sings wonderfully.

1= "Keep on walking even though daylight has past, take the light of my love and with it, lighten your way" The song in question

Last edited by a moderator:
Ophelia was actually a little taken aback by Minah’s sudden enthusiasm. Though not put off. The girl grabbed her sleeve and pulled her along. How pleasantly odd a switch in tone. Oppie followed in tow and offered no resistance.

It was quite now, much like the silence Oppie had been searching for when she had come. That sort of peaceful stillness that comes with misty nights. Not terribly so. A light fog, enough to give the occasional lights a gentle blur. The silence certainly made what was being sung by Minah much more prominent. Oppie could not help but reflect on it as she stared down at the end of her sleeve in Minah’s hand. It must look pretty awkward for Minah. Or maybe it made Oppie look rude? Was this an attempt at holding hands? Did people normally hold hands when they walked?

As she pondered the matter, the more Oppie wanted to hold hands. That would be nice. But how? Hmm… how would Minah even react? Most people reacted with an amusing negativity. But positivity was the goal this time. So should she suck onto her hand with her suction cups? That might feel a little clingy. And would leave hickeys. She learned people didn't generally like tentacle hickeys… Well… The other option wasn't exactly the most popular either. But it was certainly the better one.

A single tentacle slithered down the sleeve of her coat, easily slipping past what gap there was from Minah’s grasp on the jacket. The tip of the tentacle peeked out from the opening the jacket, and bent towards Minah’s hand. It would then gently touch her hand. And should Minah be receptive, the tentacle would then wrap her hand and palm once, trying to simulate the holding of a hand best she could. Ophelia’s tentacles were not wet or slimy as one might expect. They were actually soft and smooth. And rather than cold and clammy, they were warm. Especially after being curled up against her body.

A sense of elation tingled up Ophelia’s back at the feeling of holding her hand. It was a bit exciting. She did, however, resist the urge to explore her hand and kept her suckers (mostly) to herself. Minah might not appreciate that. Which beckoned the question... Ophelia looked from the fusion of hand and tentacle. Looking at Minah’s face to gauge her body language. To see if she had overstepped her bounds.

Ophelia actually felt a little awkward doing this. Her! Feeling awkward! Wow, that didn't happen very often. Not in a bad way though. It was a good sort of awkward. Hmm, maybe she needed to make herself feel less awkward.“That’s a pretty song.” she said, another tentacle reached up from neck opening in her coat to pull down her scarf so it wouldn't muffle her voice. It was a sincere comment too. Minah had a pretty voice. And Oppie never really got to hear people single in real life. “What do the words mean?” she asked curiously.

lazee lazee

In all honesty, Minah had never expected to hold anything but an empty sleeve, but she was pleasantly surprised when a warm and squishy appendage met with her hand. She imagined the sensation of gripping a tentacle would be like trying to hold an eel, something she had experienced before, but the tentacle did not feel any more different from a normal hand. If anything, it felt much better. Like holding a soft blanket. But more than that because behind it was an actual living breathing person.

She decided that she liked this feeling very much and kept her hand there.

Contrary to what her father would probably feel if he was in this situation, Minah didn’t really feel anything besides the subtle comfort the tentacle was giving. And also the even subtler sense of Ophelia subduing herself. As if she was desperately trying to find her boundaries and avoid treading over them. She knew this feeling because people have been constantly treating her like that. Sort of. Minah was an undeniably fragile girl, after all, with a broken past that left behind only trauma for her. It seemed wise that people, especially adults, would tread lightly around her, but to be frank, she felt like the effort was wasted. She could go off at anytime anyway, why even bother with precautions?

Ophelia inquiring on the meaning of the song reminded Minah that she was singing in the first place. It was a nice little song she heard a lot when she was still in Jakarta. An old song sung by Indonesian music veterans, NOAH, once Peter Pan. She fell in love with that particular song because it made her feel hopeful, that better times are yet upon us if she would just persevere and light the way. Though she never wondered if the lyrics translated well to English.

“I...never really bother with translate the lyrics, to be honest,” she says softly, turning back to face the tentacle girl. “But it basically means that you should keep walking. Even when the day become night. It’s like that other song goes. ‘Yesterday’s night turns to light’.” Minah wistfully looks at the night sky. So many stars out tonight.

“I like words like that. Give me hope.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back