• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Memory Usage Over 9000

Wolf Rawrrr

Wolf-Knight
Supporter
Hardly a day goes by that I don't get a popup warning from my browser stating that "Firefox has exceeded 1 GB of memory usage" and advising me to restart the application to fix it. Now, I usually just ignored this because I wasn't actually feeling the spike - but since I have lately been having some problems with crashing/BSOD, apparently due to one of my RAM modules being defective which is why I have taken one out and am running with only 2 GB RAM temporarily - obviously when Firefox eats up over 1 GB then what is left becomes insufficient for standard operation of the OS itself.

So that's why I am now looking into this *woof*

Of course I googled it first and this led to me to check my addons. My only extension is adblock plus and the only plugins I have are two java ones, one for adobe reader, and the shockwave flash. Very short list of suspects, and I don't think it's the adblock lol.

Now to finally get to the point, the reason why I'm here is because every single time that I can remember this problem happening was while I had rpnation.com open in one of my tabs. Just yesterday this kept happening again and again and I had only rpnation opened and nothing else - I was posting or trying to post when suddenly the browser decided that it needed 1 GB of memory and effectively my computer that only had 2 GB at the time froze up. After half an hour I finally gave up and went to finish the post on my laptop (thank the Staff for the drafts autosave feature).

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is it possible that some flash script (because I dunno what else) goes rogue now and then?

I don't know about Firefox, but Chrome runs in several different instances for me. Check your Task Manager/Processes to see? Not being a computer guru I don't know how you can change that, or even if changing will fix it, but that's all I can think of.

A few encounters later, upon getting the memory spike with RPN open, closing its tab effectively removes the problem. So it definitely has to do with the site. I have now switched to Chrome and will wait and see if the same thing happens again. So far so good. However I am almost certain that there is an incompatibility between Firefox and RPN, most likely to do with the flash plugin. Has no one else experienced this problem? Could it be somehow specific to my environment? *woof*

I usually have no problem with RAM or latency or anything else for that matter, and I render 3D-Worlds in 3DSMaxx as well as playing online games at the same time. Not until I started to use RPNation that is, now my PC slows down like something I have never heard of. This happens with both Fire Fox, Chrome and... Ugh... Explorer. As soon as I leave RPNation everything goes back to normal.

Just a thought, but all of you getting memory spikes - do you have the shoutbox enabled on your index (front page)?

I don't have the highest ram (12gb) but I've not once had any of the issues mentioned. I use the most up to date Chrome and Waterfox and the only times I've noticed slowdown was with Chrome while I've had other tabs running as well.

I'll see what I can find tonight. One thing to keep in mind with Chrome especially is that after many updates, mine seems to re-enable the 'keep Chrome open, despite me closing it' option. After awhile of having that, I've noticed a LOT of slowdown in Chrome and had to disable that setting and clear browsing data/cache/cookies, etc.

Just some suggestion, of course. ^^

[QUOTE="Wolf Rawrrr]A few encounters later, upon getting the memory spike with RPN open, closing its tab effectively removes the problem. So it definitely has to do with the site. I have now switched to Chrome and will wait and see if the same thing happens again. So far so good. However I am almost certain that there is an incompatibility between Firefox and RPN, most likely to do with the flash plugin. Has no one else experienced this problem? Could it be somehow specific to my environment? *woof*

[/QUOTE]
One thing to note with Firefox and Firefox based browsers:

Make sure you don't have any extensions or add-ons that might be duplicated. I've had this happen especially with Flash and Java. After installing the new versions, both will be there and cause a LOT of issues. Granted, I've not had this happen in awhile, but it's worth a note that it's happened more than once to me in the past. Might be worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back