Masked | Questions, Comments, Concerns... [FAQ + Discussion]

Fhaux

Matchmaker

Masked

Questions, Comments, Concerns... FAQ + OOC Discussion Thread

General Info + Storyline | Rules | Registration + Power Grid | Questions, Comments, Concerns... [FAQ + Discussion]

Feel free to ask questions and discuss things here, I'll also have a little FAQ to address some of the questions I've been getting.

I didn't think I would be making an FAQ, but I keep getting the same questions so here goes.

Can I create more than one character?

Let's start out with one character per person, and if I end up needing more characters, I'll allow people to create a second character. Other than that, I may allow people to create a second character after the first plot line is finished.

Can my character have more than one power?

Yes and no. Technically, it should be one power per character, but many powers have derivatives that may seem like separate powers. Here is how I answered this question in another thread, I think it gets my point across:

"Two abilities is fine as long as they:

1. Aren't two powerful abilities. For instance, telekinesis and super speed.

2. Are two derivatives of the same power, you should be able to explain both of them with one 'umbrella' power. For example, I have a character in an X-Men RP that can create illusions and make things invisible. Her ability is 'light manipulation,' with which she is able to change what people see, since the only way we see things is by our eyes absorbing and reflecting light. You don't have to get too technical with it, but it should make sense. Toad (X-Men) can jump higher and further than humans, and he has a long, sticky tongue. His ability is a 'toad mutation.'"

How are teams chosen?

I will be choosing teams for each character (don't worry, I'll be fair). There are many factors I will take into consideration, the main ones being:

1. Their power

2. Their personality

3. How well they can control their power

So be sure to think carefully while creating your character, what you write with decide what team you will be on.

Each team has certain standards and I don't want those compromised. I also need to keep their numbers under control. HIVE is the largest group and Division the smallest, I have to make sure Division operatives don't outnumber HIVE agents.

What powers are off limits?

In short; any powers that will give you control over another player's character or change reality. Bunnying/autoing is against the rules, so a power allowing you to do so is off limits (mind control). However, if the power is something like the Nara clan's (Naruto) ability to link to someone else's shadow and force them to mimic the user, so long as it has decent limitations, I will accept it. The Yamanaka clan's(Naruto again xP) mind control ability I would almost accept, considering the user's body is vulnerable the entire time, there are good limits and if the target is hurt, the user will be hurt as well, but I still feel like there is too much room for abuse.

Reality warping powers are just... no.

Are there any age restrictions?

No.

Do all characters have to be good guys?

Yes, at least at first. 'Gray-zone' good guys are fine, Rorschach-types. A the story progresses they may turn to evil, but at least at the start of the RP, every character will be considered 'good.'

Did I forget anything?

Discuss and ask away!

1. How is the layout of the building of Division?

2. do people live there?

3. how do they contact each other- pagers, more sophistocated technology?

4. protocol for recruitment?

Faith,I reccomend you go to the Division group page. You can get there through the community drop-down. Just so you know,though,Division HQ is in an entirely seperate state (The RP is in San Francisco,and Division HQ is somewhere else. Check the group page for specifics.)

So, you say in the registration you want room for growth, right? I guess that means our characters will become a bit more powerful at the end than than they were at the beginning...

Is it possible to learn a new power? Not entirely "new" altogether, but as a way that enhances the momentum of your current powers?

Also, you could argue that the age restriction is within the teen years and up, although many characters are created within that age limit anyway (and it really shouldn't be enforced?)

.....then that means like EVERY POST i've put is wrong? is the Hive headquarters in SF?

--- Merged Double Post ---

Okay, read over. So I need to fix what Rikarah is doing with the new recruit, Midas. So would the Hive headquarters be in SF, or is there some place in SF where she might take him to try out/stay for a month before revealing the true headquarters of Division? That could make sense. Where is everyone in Division currently staying, hotels, I assume? Or in the temporary training area where Midas would be?

In the Division group,it's mentioned that every member is to be self-sufficient,meaning that they have their own places in San Fran,or they live in hotels. For example;Vidic is staying at a Best Western hotel,while Anton lives in a shady motel downtown. I'd also assume that there aren't any Division owned/run/overseen training facilities in San Fran,because the only mentions of those facilities are attached to HQ.

Then I need help, because Midas is a new recruit. I need to know how they contact each other as members, where they would meet, and how they would go about recruiting a new member if they do not do so in the area that their headquarters are in. I think it would make sense they would rent buildings in various locations to be used for training, because then they wouldn't have to reveal where Division headquarters are if the recruit doesn't meet their standards. I need a reason Rikarah would take Midas to a disguised location and claim that it's Division headquarters where I don't have to basically say disregard all I ever wrote, and I think that would make sense, if she was choosing to test him there.

--- Merged Double Post ---

Like, she could be testing his ability to remain secretive and loyal to Division too, by claiming a fake location is Division owned/main headquarters and that they (Division people) all live there, she would be revealing no truly vital or true information but would be leading him to think that she was. It could just be a building they've rented temporarily even.

Also, so how does Division work together as a team, or do they? Do they tend to work separately for one common goal or do they ever team up with each other as a group? Would Rikarah attempting to form any sort of relationship with her team members beyond strictly team members be seen as some sort of betrayal?

Then again, Rikarah also isn't the type to strictly follow rules so I guess really she could have chosen to rent the building all on her own too.

Well,since Division is a very professional organization,it's to be assumed that all new members are talented and have a decent handle on their powers,already. Also,secrecy isn't really a priority with Division,if I'm understanding what Fhaux wrote correctly. They operate openly when there's a crisis,and leave without a word to the press. So,secrecy only matters when there's nothing to beat up,in which case Division members are supposed to blend into the populace. I will admit...This is going to be difficult for Midas.

As for training facilities outside of HQ,I'd assume that it would usually be "OJT" (On the Job Training),or sparring with other Division members in back alleys,abandoned warehouses,and the like. As far as loyalty's concerned...Again,as a test of loyalty,new members are sent on assignment with specific instructions and few details,if I'm reading Fhaux's statements correctly.

As for teamwork,most Division members,since they're professionals,and are expected to be self-sufficient,are capable of working alone or as part of a team. Also,because they're self-sufficient and professional,it would be reasonable to expect every member to have a means of communicating with other members via any means quickly. Vidic has a laptop,although he can only keep it at his room. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record,but since Division members are expected to be professionals (Be polite,be efficient,have a plan to kill everyone you meet...) and self-sufficient,relationships beyond a close working relationship or good friends may be seen as a weakness that needs covering,since,well,who do the villains target first? It won't be seen as betrayal,but I would assume some would see it as unprofessional,and frown on the relationship.

I think that's everything...

Marira said:
So, you say in the registration you want room for growth, right? I guess that means our characters will become a bit more powerful at the end than than they were at the beginning...
Is it possible to learn a new power? Not entirely "new" altogether, but as a way that enhances the momentum of your current powers?

Also, you could argue that the age restriction is within the teen years and up, although many characters are created within that age limit anyway (and it really shouldn't be enforced?)
Yes, I'll write some info to explain the growth better sometime.

Yes, for instance, my guy has flash precognition, he can see all variables and predict the best outcome of a situation, but maybe later on he'll be able to sense danger, another precog ability. It's not seeing paths like he does now, but it's an ability of the same power... y'know?

As for the Division conversation:

Communication- I thought I'd mentioned something about that in the group, but I guess not?

They should each have a comm device that links back to HQ and all of the other Division agents' comms. A small device to stick in their ear with a button to press to talk like a walkie talkie, or a function to maintain an open link with each other (for missions and whatnot where they might need to communicate with each other and might not be able to get to the button).

Riddle78 said:
Again,as a test of loyalty,new members are sent on assignment with specific instructions and few details,if I'm reading Fhaux's statements correctly.
Yes, that's correct.

And yes, they work out in the open, but there are things they keep secret.

They don't care about any relationships unless it affects the way agents do their jobs.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddd.........

Oh yeah!

Division doesn't have any other buildings besides HQ.

But they they'll provide the agents with whatever they need for anything Division related. So if they feel like they need to rent a place for some reason (if they want some place to spar or whatever), Division will take care of it for them.

Did I get everything? >:[

It's okay Fhaux, basically just deleted all I wrote after the point where Rikarah asked Midas to leave the building with her, I messaged Midas and Darksoul to explain they need to delete and redo too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back