• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Maple Hills College

Dagfinn

Maid Of Doom
[ Scorpio Scorpio ]
Mid terms, much to do and much to study. At least for Kane, only a freshmen though he worked twice as hard as was necessary. A 4.0 is not so easily maintained, especially considering his-So called job. Kane sat at his desk, covered in papers neatly marked with thick but organized notes. Long hair covered his face, he needed a haircut.

Kane dramatically groan letting his head fall onto his desk, “this isn’t working,” he mumbled. He needed a break or something to do... But Kane wasn't much for hobbies, he didn't do much outside of school and work.

Peter was laying on his bed, only one of his earbuds in his ear as he worked on his laptop, trying to finish his essay. He had to write a analysis of a film and frankly his night time duties were distracting him. A recent string of murders that appeared accidental had gotten the notice of Nyx, the leader of the superhero group the Scales which Peter was being trained by, who had asked him to look into it as they mostly were around his area.

He saw his roommate bang his head on his desk and he smiled a bit; to say he had a crush on Kane was somewhat underselling it. Certainly at the moment he related to his roommates current stressful situation, as midterms were taking their toll on the both of them, "One of your classes kicking your ass Kane?"

Last edited:
"I guess you could say that," Kane mumbled in reply. The boy picked up his head and looked over the notes one more time. He started to reorganize and put some of them away, he defiantly wasn't making any progress on this... In fact he wasn't exactly sure what his end goal for this was exactly. It was all a bit cloudy. More or less Kane felt he was learning less the more he studied. A break would probably do some good.

"So, what are you working on?" While not much for talking Kane did try to converse with his roommate now and then. Peter was nice, and Kane probably wouldn't admit it but he was starting to like the guy. He thought having a roommate would interfere too much with keeping balance in his life however having someone around kinda kept him grounded in what reality he should be in.

"Oh, just working on a paper, have to analyze the Children of Men film- almost finished it up," He said honestly, stretching as he set his laptop to the side as he swung his legs off his bed so he was sitting facing Kane. He figured the other guy was equally tired of schoolwork- hell, probably more tired, what with him trying to mantain a 4.0. Peter was a nerd but even he didn't try to do that.

"Well, want to do something then? Relax a bit, kick back, come back to this stuff later?" He asked with a smile, cracking his neck as he talked. Kane hadn't ever really done anything with him, he was pretty quiet, but Peter would love to do something with him for once.

"Relax... Isn't that doing nothing?" Kane stood up, finally stretching out his legs and arms while glancing over to Peter. The two of them hadn't really 'done' things together, chatted a bit and did studying in the same room but they didn't really 'hang out'. Kane wasn't good at the whole friendship thing. Moving school to school easily did that to a person.

"Well, I guess," Kane looked down at the table and grabbed his phone, "I-I mean I haven't eaten dinner yet, so a break is probably a good idea..."

Peter brightened, "Hey thats an idea! Do you want to go get something to eat together then? Hang out, talk, that sort of thing?" He said enthusiastically. He rubbed his hands together, as he pulled out his earbuds , "So what do you wnat to get then?"

Peter cupped his chin as he thought, "Well what would you like then? Like what type of food do you like to eat?" He said, unsure as to what Kane enjoyed.

[ Scorpio Scorpio ]
"Eh, I don't know," Kane mumbled, he didn't expect so much excitement and so many questions. Peter's energy was a little off putting.
"I guess you can pick," Kane offered, pushing in the desk chair and staring a bit blankly at the wall. Maybe it isn't such a good idea to say yes, Kane isn't much a fan of going out places.

Peter trained to rein in his usual energy and thought, "Hm how do you feel about Asian food?" He really enjoyed that sort of food and was curious how Kane felt about it.

He got up and stretched and began gathering up his stuff so they could leave eventually.

"Like I said, you pick," Kane couldn't care less what they ate, you couldn't call him picky. At least not when it came to food. He pulled on his jacket and already went for the door. Might as well leave before he changed his mind. It was normal for friends to go out to dinner right? It sounded normal. He actually couldn't think of a time he'd gone out and it wasn't because his family was forcing him.

--

The two of them went to the nearest restaurant there was, Peking Garden Chinese Restaurant [fun fact nearest one to me, just cus I'm not creative with names xD]. The food probably wasn't the greatest, but neither of them cared much. It was good enough and fairly cheap. Plus usually empty on nights like this which was a plus.

The two sat themselves at a table near the front window, only two other groups in the restaurant. A group of three friends talking way too loud and were probably a little bit too drunk, and a couple bickering quietly but still noticeably.
One of the couple caught his eye and he stared at their table for a minute or two too long... Trying to hear what the two might be sayings. There was potential for- Kane's attention suddenly snapped back over to Peter, that's probably a bad idea for now. Kane quickly picked up one of the menu's and started talking hoping Peter didn't notice him acting odd.
"Sooooo have you eaten here before?" Kane asked awkwardly.

Peter had been happily sitting down, excited to get some food when he heard Kane's question. He had noticed the other boy throwing looks at people but knowing how shy he was, Peter just chalked it up to that. Peter noticed one of the other patrons give them some sort of look- he almost assumed they were being judgy, but reminded himself he wasn't with his ex nor even dating Kane or doing PDA. To everyone they were just two friends having lunch. He shook his head, "Nope, I haven't! I tend to eat on campus mostly, a bit easier, and most of the places near it are fast food and Mexican restaurants. But I love Asian food- I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this place before," he mused to himself absentmindedly.

Frankly he had been missing his Asian food. Really, he loved the noodles- oh and teriyaki sauce of course, that was only outdone by barbecue sauce. He looked over at kane, "How about yourself?"

"Ahhhh no," Kane stared blankly at the menu, stealing another glance at the bickering couple who seemed to calm down. He looked back up at Peter, "I can't even remember the last time I ate out."
Generally more expensive than you want it to be, and the food isn't as good as you hope... At least that was Kane's experience most of the time. He wasn't antirestaurant, exactly... Though he could defiantly pass all together if he had to.

A hard slam on the table as a women stood up, startling the room and drawing all of their attentions to the couple.
"I hope you drop dead!" she spat, not noticing the attention she generated she headed towards the door. The man just sat there dumfounded. Their arguing was bad, but he certainly didn't expect that outburst.
This was... Almost too perfect. He couldn't possibly pass on this. Kane stood up quickly, "excuse me a moment," he mumbled to Peter and made his way to the door. Getting there before the women, they were sitting fairly close.
Kane opened the door for the women, following after her. He seemed to be saying something to her, but the door shut before anyone could hear what the two were saying.

Kane's job... To call it unusual would be an understatement. He was a scammer and he had found an odd way to trick people out of their money. Odd enough for him to be certain he was the first. It was hard to find the right target, but at least when he got someone hooked the payout was high.

A good ten minutes passed before Kane came back, when he came through the door he was looking at a card. He managed to get her business card after the exchange. He considered that things went well... He certainly hadn't dealt with anyone like her yet and he had to be very withdrawn and calm. So to not spook her. But he though ultimately this was going to pay off. Kane slipped the card into one of his pockets before he sat down again.
"Sorry about that," Kane apologized quickly, "I thought someone should walk her to her car," he lied.
"Hey did you know tailors still exist?" Kane asked jokingly, "I don't think I've ever gotten something tailored before..." While it was random, it wasn't that strange. The business card was for a tailor, a job that totally faded out of Kane's consciousness before just now.

Peter had nodded along with Kane as he said he didn't eat out much- honestly Peter needed to cut back on his expenses as well; the Scales made sure to help offset some of his costs since his job was being a hero and he had scholarships to cover tuition but still, the cost of living was unreasonably high given as they went through school in the Bay City Metropolitan area. He was about to respond when the couple had their explosive argument. He had watched silently, not wanting to get involved but was pleasantly surprised when Kane got up and walked out with her.

He waited patiently, fiddling with his D&D dice and playing a game on his phone until Kane came back. He smiled at him and pocketed his device, "No you were fine! It was a sweet thing to do," Peter said with a grin before blinking at Kane's joke. He laughed and took a sip of his drink, "Haven't had anything tailored," lie. His superhero suit was bit he couldn't really say that, "But I'm sure it pays well. Bet they only do stuff like suits so they get paid well."

"Yeah..." Kane agreed vaugly although his mind was already starting to wander again back to the women. He picked up the menu so his distraction wouldn't seem as odd. Neither of them had ordered yet, actually Kane's distraction wiped away his hunger. Though he had to pretend to be normal. Plus he really hadn't eaten for some time.

"So," Kane glanced back up, "how are your classes going...?" Kane didn't know much about what Peter worked on. He thought something with english studies? Kane was sure he was making that up because he really couldn't remember what Peter said about it. The two were roommates but they probably didn't talk as much as others did. At least that's what Kane figured.

Peter thumbed through his menu, humming happily, glad to finally be talking and hanging out with his roommate. "Ah, pretty well! All of them are easy enough, except my grammar class- that one is bloody difficult." he said, scanning the menu and deciding on what he wanted. "I'm hoping I never have to diagram a sentence again after this class," Peter laughed, cracking his neck.

Peter leaned forward, having decided on what he wanted, his chin resting on his hand as he looked at kane with interest, "So, how are your classes? You enjoying yourself I hope?" He said, wondering what he was up to since they so rarely talked with each other.

[I totally forgot what his major was, I picked it at random from a list online lol]
"Enjoy... Perhaps is not the word I would use," He answered, looking up from the menu when a waiter finally came up to them. The two ordered their food, Kane didn't catch what Peter order and Kane literally picked the first thing he saw when glancing back at the menu. Once the waiter left Kane figgitted with the menu for a moment more before setting it aside. He preferred to always have something in his hands, it felt weird just sitting there. The slightly awkward eye contact didn't much help. Kane's social skills were, less than standard.
"I mean," he finally broke the silence, glancing away from Peter as he spoke, "classes are going fine, but it's all rather boring... It's, drab."

Peter listened to his roommate and nodded- when the waiter came he ordered a noodle bowl and set the menu down, his fidget spinner back in his hand to help him focus. He listened to Kane, a bit awkward and unsure as to how to talk to the other boy, but still wnating to listen to him. Peter hated dominating conversations even if he did enjoy talking. Talking a lot at that.

He nodded in understanding and sympathy as Kane admitted how he felt, "Yeah, I can totally understand that. So many more interesting things in life than school right?" Peter said. Nothing compared to his night-job, so school was fairly boring for the blond.

"I enjoy a few of my classes, ehhh." Kane put his head in his hand, looking out the window, though as bright as it was inside it was hard to see past his own reflection, "maybe I chose the wrong major."
He sat back up, looking just slightly above Peter so to avoid eye contact. Kane tried to not seem so down about it all, "actually, it's probably just the tests that are stressing me out..."
His soft breathy laugh seemed slightly forced, "I don't know why I'm trying to keep up a 4.0. I don't know that it's actually worth anything much."

Peter looked at him in amazement, "A 4.0?! That's crazy! And impressive! I mean," Peter smiles as he leans forward enthusiastically, "I don't know if I ever could. I'm ADHD and super disorganized, so its hard enough for me to maintain a A," He admitted sheepishly, his fidget spinner in hand.

"And maybe? Its always hard to know what you want to do and what to study, what with how diverse the job field is. Got any interests outside... whatever you study?" He said scratching his head, shyly.

"Th-thanks... Though, it's pretty easy to maintain A's when you don't have any hobbies," or friends... Though Kane wasn't going to touch that topic, "but that was just highschool... So maybe I can't keep it up anymore."
Kane glanced down at the table for the moment thinking... What was he interested in? Well, a lot of things were interesting, but not in a manner that made him interested in a career.
"I think the only thing I'm good at is studying, I don't really have interests," or skills... He dropped the last part not wanting to seem pathetic... Or like he was too far into self pity. He didn't feel bad about it, most of the time, he just didn't see a lot of worth in any of his skills. Studying was easy, school was... An easily solved puzzle. He stopped learning for the sake of learning and more was there just to earn the grade.

Peter nodded along as Kane talked about how much things had changed academically since high school. He was in a similar boat; he had made all A's back then, but now was finding life as an adult and college far more of a challenge for him. Not because it was hard, but rather because he had to keep his crap together. Though the whole not having hobbies thing was pretty pessimistic by any standards, Peter mused, a bit saddened by Kane's apparently boring life. He leaned back when Kane commented on his lack of interests.

"Well of course you won't have any if you've just been focused on grades!" Peter said passionately. "I mean grades are good and all but that diploma is all that reallly matters! I say screw it; do your best of course but no one should ask you to scarification living for the sack of sitting around at a desk job all day," Peter said Ashley with a smile. He was all too used to being told his major was pointless or wouldn't pay well. He'd prove them all wrong and was a bit sad that Kane didn't seem to have that same fire in him.

Kane paused for a moment his eyes focused on the pattern on the tabletop. Peter seemed so certain in those convictions, and sure Kane knew grades weren't everything. At least... That's what everyone always told him. After so many years of focusing on just grades that's all he really had. Of course there was his job now... He finally made something out of a skill he spent years pretending didn't exist. Ignoring it for so long, maybe it was time to focus on that. The idea made him feel uneasy. Kane looked up suddenly.

"Do you have a job?" The question was meaningless but Kane wanted to get to a new topic. He had too much of school, at school. It's time to forget about that for awhile.

Peter blinked, "er well, um, not really," he twindled his thumbs, unsure of how to exactly talk about his job super-heroing without giving anything away. He had to keep his cards close to his chest and not talk about it. He could never know who exactly was a villain or he would have to talk about it. "Well, I work with a couple people, doing odd jobs to get money and all, but not a steady job. Not really my style you know?"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair, "What about you? I don't think you have one right?" He asked curiously. "You always seem engrossed in school."

"Not really no, I've had a couple of summer jobs when I was in high school... Nothing now though," Peter's reaction and answer struck Kane as odd. It almost felt like maybe Peter was covering something up. Were his 'odd jobs' illegal? Kane brushed the thought aside. Sure he knew Peter very little, but that seemed just silly.
"I think I would like to get one though," Kane paused a moment on the thought, "my family helps with school costs and that's great, but I feel a little bad about not contributing you know?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back