Mantis Style limitations?

Ledaal Kajiri

Two Thousand Club
Mantis Style, as republished in Scroll of the Monk (p. 97) states that it allows the use of all martial arts weapons as form weapons. How does this interact with weapons which are not martial arts weapons, save in that they are form weapons of other styles? One of my players claims that this makes them acceptable weapons for Mantis Style (and has suggested the idea of taking one charm in every style with a different weapon for the purpose of being able to use them all with Mantis Style.) My personal thought is that the form weapons of one style should not modify the form weapons of other styles...at least not the basic such (Prismatic Arrangement of Creation's pinnacle Form charm being an example of something of the sort). Am I correct in thinking that this means any naturally martial arts weapons only, or is my player correct in thinking that any weapon which is acceptable to any martial art style becomes a martial arts weapon thereafter, and so is acceptable to Mantis Style? I'd be somewhat less concerned with the idea if it weren't for things such as the idea of using Mantis Style with Firewands or Bows, which seems completelly innappropriate to the theme of the style to me...

You are correct. MA weapons only.

The other interpretation seems inane, in light of there potentially being an MA out there for every weapon ever imagined.

I'd use this definition - if the weapon can be used with the Martial Arts ability, without using Charms, then it could be used with Mantis Style. Otherwise, it's not useable.

The other thing is, even if the player wanted to take one Charm from each style, you know how hard that's going to be? To find a master from each style, and then convince the master to teach him the style? Particularly if he just learns one Charm from the style and then scampers off to learn another one. Pretty soon, word will get around that this guy isn't dedicated and finding someone to teach him will be even more difficult. He'll also get a reputation as an undisciplined student and that's something that's tough to shake.....

... not to mention the ridiculous amount of XP you'd need to throw out there, just to get a few more weapon variants available with Mantis. Still, I stand by what I said above.

I certainly don't disagree with what you said one iota. I'm just saying that if the player is being an asshat, there's another argument to be made.

This player sounds like a twink....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back