• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Mainland Adventures

Djinn N Tonic

Caught harboring weird interests.
The smell of salt and brine composed the air of the docks the Aerial siblings Elliot & Beatrice found themselves at this particular morning. Their parents decided it was for the best that the two stayed with their uncle in Theyn for a while. They could learn the culture and start their own lives. In addition, uncle Alan was a "Firebrand," a person born with abilites semi-magical, over the dominion of fire, and while he could not actually perform the same magic as Beatrice, he could assist her in her teachings.

It was time to set sail to the mainland, and the two siblings loaded themselves onto the ship. It would be an hour or two to sail to Osarin, the port city they would be arriving in, and another 3 to travel to Eltiam, where their uncle lived.

"So..." Beatrice spoke, "We're finally doing this?" She seemed unsure, they were giving up their old lives after all. She turned to her older brother.

"Every ending is just a beginning to something different Bea." Her brother spoke with a quiet yet eager enthusiasm. He sat on a crate stacked against the wall of the large boat that they had docked, looking over to see the murky waters of the early morning lazily wave the sides of the boat with an unenthusiastic yet chilling splash which sprayed up along the side ever so slightly. Her brother held a single sword which remained sheathed at his side. The sword remained imposing without even being drawn. And her brother, while sitting and admiring the sea Gabe out a sense of comfort.

"I would just focus on all the positives of the move. New people, new friends, exotic locations, a better life." He explained with a sweet smile. "I'm sure that all you need is to just find something you like about it, and you'll get adjusted in no time."

Beatrice gave a small chuckle. "Yeah. It'll be nice to see uncle Alan again." She looked over to the waters. "But doesn't it still feel a little weird? Leaving home? Leaving Mom and Dad behind?"

Eli leaned against the railing as he heard his sister talk about the good possibilities the future could hold, but just the same the worries of the present. He gave a musing smirk as he stretched. The early morning yielding nothing but a constant sense of lackadaisical nonsense from him even more crazy than usual. He scratched the shaved back of his head which contrasted to his own hair which fluffed up at the top. "We haven't seen Alan in a very long time huh. And as for Mom and Dad...well...."

Eli kept looking off into the distance. "I'm sure you'll miss them a lot. But taht doesn't mean that this will be the end. You can always write them, and who knows, maybe this move will be great for your sense of independence from them. Being your own person is important, and I'm sure you'll be able to keep in touch." Somehow Eli always knew just what to say when his sister became nervous or anxious in times of need. Cool as a cucumber and collected yet wistful, Eli was a strange one. That explained how he could skirt away from the question of his feelings about the situation so easily as well.

"Mmh." Beatrice shrugged and decided to pull a book from her luggage, "Academia for the Arcane, Vol. 4" and begin reading. She had already learned from this book twice before, but she could never be too prepared. Eltiam was the Capital of Theyn, and they had a variety of magic schools, and Beatrice wanted nothing more than to be enrolled in one of them.

The two of you do not exactly know where the Magical Ability in your family comes from, but you know one of your grandparents were Spellbrand, as the trait only persists through two generations. Elliot was Earthbrand, meaning he had Magical Potential, but no inborn magical abilities like his sister. Being a second generation Earthbrand, Eli's chances of Magical Ability are little to none, as the potential has faded over time.

Eli could only help but look at he ocean. The breathtaking view of a gorgeous sunrise which overtook the morning skyline and bathed the ocean waves in a golden light cast by the sun. The view shimmered and made browns and yellows dance across washing waves which seemed to grow more enthusiastic as the morning wore on to become the magnificent day. It was just as Eli had said, the beginning to an adventure the both of them were just jumping into. The boat began to lurch off dock, and Eli slumped back. He turned away from the sunlight of the new day and looked over to the crowded sea port filled.with people.

There was a reason he didn't say goodbye to his parents that morning. Even though it would have most likely been the last time they would ever speak, there was no room for goodbyes this early into the beginning. He ruffled his sister's hair and chuckled. Curling down to begin his nap that would carry him through the voyage. He gripped the sword at his side delicately but just enough to avoid the as he had trained. He began to snooze.

Elliot awoke to find himself in a bunk of some sort in a small stone room, clearly a part of a heavily defended fortress. His sister was no where to be found, and it was so dark, he could barely see. A small light shone in the doorway, a wisp of a flame dancing in the shadows, seemingly calling out to him. Eli.

"Eli." he opened his eyes and he was back on the boat, but it wasn't moving. "We've docked, c'mon." Beatrice spoke, trying to pull her brother from his sleeping position.

Eli looked around. He blinked slowly before he rubbed the crusty dried tears of sleep out of his eyes and stretched as he stood up. The cargo was already being unloaded and the both of them would obviously do well to hurry and make good time. But his drowsiness wasn't very practical. He walked forward, following his sister as he recalled the dream wearily. It was a surprisingly lucid dream. One of the.most lucid he had ever had up till now which made it all the more suspicious.

"Man, I really shouldnt have cashed in my nap card this early into the trip." Eli yawned as he followed Bea forward, looking for their next means of transportation. "At least I won't be that nauseous when I'm awake though."

"You sleep too much." The two of you find yourselves in the port town of Osarin, where the local Lord -Lord Oskar Osarin- runs the trade route between Theyn and Lotoa Lia. "It'll be a half hour before the next carriage arrives." Beatrice repeated the Schedule on a nearby sign. "We have some time to explore before we head out. What do you want to do?"

"I'm a growing boy, what can I say?" Eli replied jokingly. He walked forward, minding the busy streets bustling with the activity of people going about their day in the trading port. "If I'm being honest considering I haven't eaten breakfast at the risk of losing it during the boat ride, I'm inclined to grab a meal at the nearest tavern. Preferably one that has cute waitresses in skimpy clothing and a gruff bartender with tattoos." he mused perversely, trying to prod at his sister with his own dirty minded sense of humor that he had come to know would tend to annoy her for his own amusement. He walked over to the buildings along the street and looked to see which one caught his eye.

He would walk into the first one he would see without much consultation from his sister. His eyes did fall upon her as he tried to keep a short distance between them. Being away from what was essentially the boonies of the continent meant that they were out of their element and in a much more dangerous one. Trading towns home to this much activity were like flames to the moths whcih one would call thieves. Dangerous people lurked all over if you knew just where to find them. And even though he wasn't very inclined to get into some hi jinks this early into the day, especially since they were on a schedule and he was accompanied by his sister, he was the adventurous type.

"Seriously?" The day had only started and Beatrice was already getting tired of Eli's shit. As the two only just began their adventure in the Port town, it was put to an end by the loudest noise the two had ever heard: the sounds of a booming Fire, shattering glass, and panicked pedestrians were coming from the streets outside the establishment. Someone outside was yelling. "You failed to make your payments to the Dsuuk, Lord!" Their voice was deep, gruff, and most of all: pissed."And now we going to break everything you own, unless you come out here so we can settle this like men!"

Eli ducked beneath a fallen over carriage. The explosion had left the wreckage unmanned and unclaimed so he brought his sister down behind it as to take cover from the source of the fire and loud noise that he heard close by. He looked over, his breathing growing heavy as he put a hand over to grip the handle of the sword that he carried at his waist. He unsheathed the sword quickly, the sound of the metal scraping by as to free itself from its prison muddled by the growing surrounding panic by the terrorists. Or, raiders? It really didn't matter as to what you could call them, because to Eli they were causing havoc, and he wasn't having any of it.

He looked over his shoulder, trying to peek over and count how many enemies were gathering around in the central square. Which one had caused the explosion, where it was coming from and if there were any casualties or wounded persons surrounding them. people were running by swiftly, dashing as to avoid the consuming panic. He was trying to form a plan with the information he had, and analyze the situation as his heartbeat only seemed to rise in bpm. He looked over to Beatrice, whom he had let go of after forcing her down with him. "Do you think you can cover me? I don't want you leaving this spot, but if you can just suppress fire with some long ranged attacks, anything you can manage it would help." he said, eyes glimmering.

There were only four men there. But what seemed even more odd, was that the one who was talking is considerably larger than any of the others, that he had snow white skin, small horn-like protrusions from his forehead, and most remarkably, four arms. "Osarin! Come out here!" He was a Kotth, though you've only ever seen one in the entire time you lived on the islands. Beside him was a pale, dark haired man with a long, robe-like jacket. The other two were causing a ruckus.

"What?! I can't- What are you going to do, Eli? They're serious criminals!" Beatrice was distraught, barely being able to fizzle a single mote of light from her hands..

The other two were obviously weaker by the way they conducted themselves. Flaunting their power meant that they were easily the weakest because they were the grunts of the mission. And the fact that they were using explosions meant that they were most likely Firebrand. They were limited too using more magic than fire magic. It meant they were both limited by the scope of Beatrice's potential and other Spellbrand's capability, but they were still dangerous. He would have to guess that the man in the robe like jacket was a Spellbrand of sorts, the more magically inclined powerhouse of the group while the Kotth was the muscle of the group. The two center roles would be hard to take on at once, nigh impossible if they worked together. The other two would be easier in comparison to pick off one by one. All he had to do was dash to the side as one strayed from the group and her would take him out by surprise. The same plan would follow for the other, and then he would move on to the robed man. Using Beatrice's support would make it easier and taking on the robed man would mean he could outrun and outdistance the physical Kotth who would rely on close range combat.

"I'm aware Bea. They're serious, they've injured people or worse and they're going to do more if no one does something." Eli replied briskly. He put a hand on Bea's shoulder and stared at her directly. "I need to you to calm down Bea. I know you're not far into you're training, and you can't do everything right now. But if you can just help me take down these two burly looking guys after I take care of the other two, we stand a chance. I know you can do this if you just calm down. take cover as soon as you take a shot at my signal. Just wait and stay where you are. If they find you, run like hell." he nodded, and gave her a small, trying smile. He turned around and dashed from the left of the carriage to the buildings around them.

Beatrice sat silently, shaking from fear while the Kotth spoke once more. "If you don't come out here, I am going to burn this town to the ground with you in it!"

Eli approached one of the two "grunts" who was currently lighting a building on fire.

Eli ran forward. His feet carrying him forward to assail the 'grunt' that he approached from behind. He raised his right hand that clutched the hilt of his sword tightly. He brought it down with great force to the back of the man's head that he intended to accost. He would then, if possible, swing his right shin to the side, connecting it with the man's chest and sending him sprawling to the ground in pain, hopefully unconscious enough that he wouldn't have to deal with him afterward.

As Elliot surprisingly managed to deal with the unaware goon, he was tackled by the other, and pulled out into the street. "Hey boss! Look what I found!" The Kotth approached Eli staring him up and down. "He was trying to be a he-" The leader interrupted, "Who are you, boy?" He asked, as Eli was being held still by the grunt.

Coughed as he felt the wind being knocked out of him by that tackle. These people weren't exactly amateurs. He wanted to call out to Beatrice immediately. Have her take a shot at this guys head. But the would mean the one good chance he had of a surprise attack at this man he could definitely not take on his own would be wasted given how he would only struggle in vain against him. Eli tried to keep a straight face against this, and gave out a short answer. "Elliot Aerial. I come from Lotoa Lia."

"See, what was I telling you Manif? Manners ain't dead." The Kotth spoke the the jacketed man, who seemed unfazed. "Well, Eli... I'm Ka'Yth Vtroh, leader of the Dsuuk, this here is my second, Sigil Manif." He spoke to you as if you were friends. "And I want to know why you assaulted my man during this... business transaction between myself and the local lord." He grabs your face and squishes your cheeks, before letting go.

Eli tried to remain as business like and respectable, lacking any emotion through the exchange and hiding a growing sense of malice he was beginning to feel, but tried to cage as to talk his way through the situation delicately. "This isn't a business transaction. You're injuring potentially innocent bystanders who have nothing to do with your dispute, and while I can't speak for your side or the Lord of this port, this is still dangerous and unethical." he replied, standing up and restraining his movements or struggling.

Ka'Yth waved his hand, and the goon released Eli from his grasp. "Listen, Eli, I'd thank you to kindly butt out, 'cause this ain't none of your business." As he stepped forward to intimidate, He shot his hand towards Eli, and raised him off the ground by his throat. Suddenly, a loud booming noise rang out from the sky, followed by a bright flash. Behind Vtroh was an absolutely massive figure, seemingly twice the size of Eli. Ka'Yth seemed to be familiar with the figure, so much so that the mere sight filled him with rage. "Lon."

"Ya best be puttin' the poor lad down." The man had a very thick accent that neither sibling has ever heard before. "Fine." The Kotth brought Eli closer, and in an instant, shot it back. It didn't hurt.

The next thing Eli saw was darkness.
Then a flame.

Eli was in alone the fortress again, and the red wisp urged him down the corridor stairs outside the room.

Eli felt out of his senses. Wracked into unconsciousness just moments before and being jarred back and forth by the reality or sleep and the waking world had made him feel woozy even in his more lucid of dreams. He took a moment to situate himself, looking back and forth and struggling to remember what had just happened.His dreams made him forget everything that was going on as he walked forward to the red wisp. He followed it forwards, responding to its urgency with a sense of his own curiosity. He walked down the corridor stairs outside of the dark room with only one light, his eyes captivated by its spark.

The flame lured Eli to a door, beyond which lied a courtyard. The darkness surrounded the entire Fortress, the sole haven in the infinite void. A Large silhouette stood firmly in the grass, gazing into a cracked mirror, He seemed to be enjoying himself.

Eli walked forward through the courtyard. He tried to grab the wisp as he shone before him, a hand snapping forward to catch it before he approached the man that made the silhouette. He stood behind him, confused and bewildered by his surroundings as he spoke up to catch his attention. "Sir, excuse me? Where are we?"

The flame sat contently in his palm, chill to the touch. The figure turned.

"This? This'd be Darkwater Keep, lad." He was the man from earlier. "Or at least one version of it." He had fire-red hair, and a long braided beard that complemented his wide frame. "You're the boy from the mirror, right?" He pointed to the cracked mirror, but it lacked any reflection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back