Main Roleplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

JujuBee

Pettiest Bitch Out There

embed.php-2.png

It was a beautiful day. 

There was no cloud in the sky to stop the sun from shining brightly. It’s warmth washing over the small, lovely town that the ragtag group of friends had grown up in. The birds in the neighborhood soared high in the sky, their distinct chirping filling the air. There was a group of small children playing just down the street, their joy being felt by those that walked past and their screams and laughter echoing down the street. To anyone this would have been something of a usual occurrence, to see a small neighborhood the way it was as if there were no problem going on. But while most of the houses held a warm and welcoming feel to them, this wouldn’t be the case with one particular house just down the street.

Despite the beautiful appearance on the outside, there wouldn't be beauty on the inside. The Chesterfield family that inhabited this house would all be absolutely crushed at the recent events. Despite it having happened two days ago, the loss of Aaliyah was still one that tore them apart with every step they took and every thought of her that crossed their mind. Aaliyah's aunt, Tiana would be in the kitchen cooking up food as she alway did when her emotions were out of whack. Her daughter would be upstairs, mourning the loss of her closest cousin and her son simply walking around the house as he was unsure of what to do. He was only five after all and death didn't get to him like it did the others. Aaliyah's father would have been outside, having disappeared into the small forest behind them to visit the small little river Aaliyah would love to hang out by with her friends, just wanting a moment to himself and to feel her presence just one more time.

But soon would be the time for them to become hosts as the very people they loved as dearly as they did Aaliyah, would be coming to say their final goodbyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Victor Kwon - Outfit: Hair, Jacket, Shirt, Pants, Shoes - Accessories: Wedding Ring, Watch

Linda Tran - Outfit: HairDress, Shoes - Accessories: Hair Pin, Pendent (Given to her by Aaliyah), Earrings, Bracelets, Watch, Wedding Ring

While it was a beautiful day, it was a sad day for expecting mother Linda. One of her closest friends has recently passed away. For the past few of days, Linda had been crying, going through one box of tissues to the next. While it really broke her heart to find out that one of her closest and best friends has passed away, it tore her husband, Victor, apart to see her in such a horrible state. He was also confident that Linda's negative emotions weren't really benefiting their baby and was worried that if this kept up, she would go into labor early. However, she was also considered full-term at thirty-seven weeks. To his dismay, she had been crying nearly all afternoon in the couple's bedroom. Right now, Linda was also remember her last conversation with Aaliyah, who wanted to throw her a baby shower and was even planning for it, having told Linda herself a couple of days prior. Another fond memory, which was now a bit painful to think about, was when Linda had informed Aaliyah of the pregnancy and sometime after that, at least a few weeks leading up to the tragedy, she had informed her friend that she and Victor were having a little girl, whom they were planning to name Amelia.

Victor spent the entire morning comforting his pregnant wife, having even canceled work, deciding to close their bar for the day. By afternoon, Linda's tears had ran dry and their trashcan had been filled with tissues. After showering off, Linda asked Victor if they could go to the Chesterfield Househould together. In hopes of cheering her up, he caressed her belly and gave it a gentle kiss. While it did make her smile, it didn't last very long. After they had gotten dressed, the couple got into their car and were on their way to the Chesterfield House. On the way there, Linda was now on a trip down memory lane, where she would see her younger self along with Aaliyah and their wonderful group of friends going to Aaliyah's house after school almost everyday. The memories made her happy, but also made her sad. In short, it made her feel...Bittersweet.

As soon as Linda and Victor arrived at the Chesterfield Household, Victor parked the car in the driveway before going around to help his wife out of the car. From the car to the front door, he supported her all the way through, allowing her to lean on him as he had his arm around her waist. She then rang the doorbell. Tiana would answer the door. "Linda!" The much older woman then pulled Linda into a hug, but became gentle as soon as the girl's belly made contact with her stomach. "Oh and you're pregnant! Isn't that something?" she said, greeting Linda, her eyes glued to Linda's swollen belly. After a few minutes, her eyes moved up back to Linda's face and she proceeded to give her another hug. "How are you doing, sweetie? Is everything alright? Here, another hug."

This time, Tiana would allow Linda to take her time, of course being mindful of the protruding belly, while Victor kinda just stood there awkwardly, surprised because he has never seen his wife get so much love from someone outside of her Blood-related family or even himself. After Linda was finished, she put her hand on her belly after breaking away from the hug as Tiana turned her attention to Victor. "Ah, you brought Victor too. That's so sweet." She said before coming over to give Victor a hug, though it ended up being brief. "You've been taking good care of my Linda, haven't you?"

Having been put into the spotlight, Victor found himself at a loss for words and got a little nervous. "Yes, he has, Auntie. And he's gonna be a great Dad. Uncle Smurf will kill him if he isn't." Linda said, smiling at her Husband as all three of them started laughing. "Well come on in, both of you and thank you so much for coming. The rest of your friends will be here soon. I just didn't expect you guys to arrive so early."

The couple took their shoes off and were immediately taken to the Living Room, where Aunt Tiana sat them both down on the couch. "Now I'll get you some organic milk and I won't be taking no for an answer." She said as she went back into the Fridge to get Linda a glass of Organic Milk and Victor a glass of orange juice. They both thanked Tiana, who smiled at them both before going back to cooking in the kitchen. As they drank, Linda only leaned into her husband, her head on his shoulder, removing one hand to place it on the belly, while he held her close. The couple would continue to relax as they waited for everyone else to arrive.

embed.php-26.png

Wearing? This

Location? The Chesterfield Home

Mood? Could most certainly be better

"I still don't understand why you couldn't come."

"Rose, you know what I said before. I have some business to attend to."

"Well couldn't you have just pushed it-"

"No my darling. This one was very important. But I promise you that the moment I'm finished with everything that needs to be done here I'll be right on my way to come to you. Until then Jerry will be the one with you. If you need anything just tell him." 

Chestnut colored eyes would flicker over to the older man driving the car as a scowl would play at her lips. She wanted to say more to him, to curse him out for not being there yet again when she needed him. But it would be a waste of time, waste of breath, and another fight that wasn't needed. So instead of doing what she wished, she bit her tongue and took a deep breath. "Okay Cian... I'll be waiting."

"I know you will sweetheart. Until I see you again." 

There would be a distinct click after that, letting Rose know that the conversation was over and she'd bite her lip in annoyance, letting her eyes stare at the 'Call Ended' before putting it back in her purse. With nothing more but idle hands, the young woman would begin to pick at her outfit, smoothing the tight skirt some and pulling the crop further down. Thinking about it, she wasn't too sure whether this was the... Best outfit to wear but then again at the same time she didn't necessarily care. It was how she'd came to be- wearing what she wanted regardless of how much skin was showing. Her thoughts would be interpreted due to having arrived and she'd send her driver a soft smile. "Thank you Jerry. I will call you when needed. Go ahead and do some exploring for yourself." The man nodded and helped her out of the car before zooming away. Rosalind offered an amused smile to the car before finally making her way to the house and knocking. 

The sight of Tiana would remind her as to why she was here and despite the smile on her face, Rosalind could feel the tears threatening to come.

"Auntie Tee..." She greeted the older woman, being pulled into a tight hug. 

"Oh baby! It's so good to see you again." She said happily, rubbing a hand up and down her back. "How are you doing?"

"With all due respect, I should be asking you that." Rosalind responded, a small sniffle coming after the words. 

Tiana smiled softly and nodded. "Doing as well as I can. The others are in the living room, I'll bring you something to drink."

"Thank you Auntie." Rosalind said, wiping at her eyes so that her makeup wouldn't get ruined and kissing the woman's cheek before making her way in. The only two there weren't exactly her favorites but she didn't care. 

"Victor." She purred, sending him a small wave before looking to his significant other. "Linda." There wouldn't be any warmth when she said her name. "I see you've finally gotten yourself a child on the way. Cute." Rosalind loved children but she knew for a fact that she wouldn't be getting close to Linda's child anytime soon. 

"Here you go baby." Tiara said, walking in with a cup of lemonade which Rosalind thanked her for. She would take a sip of it, looking at the two through her lashes as she sat down on the couch. Oh how she wished someone else was here. Someone she could actually have fun with.

Luciano Dinapoli

Luciano stared into the blackness of his phone screen. Approximately ten minutes had passed since he arrived to the Chesterfield's but he couldn't bring himself to exit the car. The air was so heavy and mournful that he honestly felt sick, though the main cause for his nausea was Jet-lag. The flight he could make was a late one so he'd only arrived a couple hours ago--and while he planned on taking a nap before making the drive to this familiar home, sleep stopped coming easily to him after receiving the call for Aaliyah.

A deep sigh escaped his lips as he popped open the door. The sound of his car locking echoed into the neighborhood and for some reason, he felt like eyes were following him like a hawk. He anxiously adjusted his blazer and made sure he was presentable, unsure of what to expect. Receptions were not things he attended often, and the last time he did, he made a scene with his father. It was not something he'd consider memorable.

The sole of his his black Oxfords scratched against the doormat as he finally made it to the door. He sighed again, only this time it was more of a "I'm ready" sigh than a "I guess I have to go." Luciano knocked before running a hand through his dark locks, strands of hair poking at the sides of his eyes after doing so. A frown was starting to form on his lips but the sight of a familiar face when door creaked open immediately stopped it.

"Signora Tiana, I'm sorry it took something like this for me to pay a visit." Luciano greeted, his Italian thicker than what it was during his high school years. Tiana simply smiled and urged him in.

"Shush. I know you've been busy with all your designer stuff. Aaliyah never stopped talking about how you-..." Her voice died down and Luciano regretted not choosing his words carefully. 

"How is that dress I sent you? Did it make your friends jealous like you were hoping?" He asked with a somber yet teasing voice. They both chuckled softly as they entered the living area. His eyes first rested on Rosalind, who hadn't changed from the last time they met. A gentleman's smile formed on his lips as he approached her, taking her hand into his. "It's been a while, Rose." He placed a light kiss on the back of her hand and made the briefest eye contact before turning to Linda and Victor. To them, however, he simply offered a nod as they were never the closes out of the group.

"Una bambina, yeah? Congratulations, you two."

embed.php-21.png

Where? The Chesterfield Household

Wearing? This (The one on the left)

Mood? Down in the dumps

"Well, it certainly hasn't changed much," Mumbled the young man as he pulled up in front of the all too familiar house. "Though there's certainly a big difference. No matter what I want to believe..."

With a sigh, Elijah Lockwood would put the car in park and sit there for a few moments. It was true... It was really true. Aaliyah was gone- for good. Any other time Aaliyah would have come running out of the house, that warm smile of hers greeting him as she screamed at him for something he'd done though it was always playful. But it had been so long since he'd come back over. He was finally back just like she'd always wanted but this time? This time it was way too late. He could feel the lump in his throat, threatening to let his emotions run wild but with a deep breath and a curse to himself he sucked it all back in and forced himself out of the car.

The walk to the door seemed to be a lot longer than he'd remembered though he was sure it was nerves more than anything. 

"Fuck man, I gotta get out of this funk..." He muttered to himself with a small frown as he could feel himself growing more upset with every step. "I can't be like this in from top Ti Ti... Or Papa Smurf..." 

"You're fine baby." 

Looking up in surprise, Elijah hadn't even noticed the fact that Tiana had opened the door. "Aunt Ti..."

"Come here baby." 

He would obey, pulling the older woman into a tight hug and letting her whisper soothing words into his ear. It was nice but he felt as though he should have been counseling her. A small smiled cracked on his lips. Leave it to her to be taking care of him. "Thanks Aunt Ti."

"No problem baby. The rest are in the living room. The others shouldn't be too far away."  He nodded and made his way to the living room, assessing the very people he hadn't seen in so long. His eyes would first roam to the couple on the one couch, sending them both a small smile. "Well if it isn't everyone's favorite couple. Linda and Victor... Nice to see you again. Congratulations on the baby, you two will be wonderful parents. We should know since Linda mothered everyone." He would give a small chuckle before turning towards the other two and grinning.

"Rosalind, very nice to see you again."

"Likewise." She would reply with a coy smile as she stood to give him a hug. 

"It's been too long."

"We should have kept it that way." She replied, smirking at him as he rolled his eyes. "Yeah, there's the Rose I know. Gotta love her." He mumbled the last part, letting his eyes flicker to Luca. "It's very nice to see you again too Luca. I'm positive life has been good for you with the fashion life." He gave him a small smile and a nod as he turned to lean against the wall. Tiana would come in afterwards, placing a cup in his hand and kissing his cheek. He would give her thanks and take a sip of it.

"Man, this is like old times isn't it?" He asked the others, sending them a playful smile. "We'd all get together here. Aunt Ti would get us some drinks and food... So much fun..." He would start off happy, only trailing at the thought of Aaliyah not being there to reminisce. The smile would become a frown momentarily as he became silent, trying with all his might to send them all a smile instead. But that was hard to do when the one who caused them to smile was gone.

ashlynn maher

mood: she's alright, well, not really

clothing: she thought they were supposed to wear black (no hat, no shades)

Ashlynn didn't utter a word the whole car ride. The driver feared that she had gone mute from shock, for the Irish girl usually asked him about his day, and how his wife and children were doing. The silence was odd and uncomfortable. She'd requested him to stop a distance away from the house, and had gotten out, finally speaking, politely thanking him before shutting the door. Her heels clacked on the pavement, and her lips pressed into a fine line at the familiar scenery. It must have been ages since she'd walked this same path. She waited patiently for the tears to come, but it seemed there weren't any more for her to cry. She didn't know whether she felt relieved or upset about that.

God, she missed Aaliyah terribly. Ashlynn might have been going crazy, but she could almost hear the candy-sweet laugh of the girl as she made her way down the path they always walked

She stopped in front of the house, inhaled sharply as if to calm herself, though it wasn't very effective. Ashlynn lifted a slender hand, poised to knock, hesitated, then followed through. It felt like forever in those moments that it took Aunt Tiana to open the door, though the familiar face sent a jolt of warmth through Ashlynn. "Ashlynn, baby, it's been too long." The younger girl managed a small smile, and let herself be enveloped into Tiana's arms. 

"Missed you too, Auntie Ti. I hope you've been alright." Tiana released her and stepped aside, letting the blonde into the house. Ashlynn glanced around, and choked on a reply as Tiana offered her a drink, the realisation that everything was seemingly exactly the same hitting her in an unpleasant, uncomfortable way. Most of it coming from the fact that she couldn't hear Aaliyah's voice yelling excitedly from upstairs, telling her to hurry up. Without Aaliyah, the house almost felt empty. Tiana's hand on her shoulder snapped her out of her reverie, and she politely told her she'd just have water.

"Here you go, sweetie. The ones who have already arrived are in the living room, the rest are still on their way." Ashlynn nodded in thanks, then made her way to the living room, standing at the doorway as she saw her old high school friends for the first time in years. They felt differently and yet oddly the same. It was a weird feeling, and Ashlynn couldn't help thinking that she'd gotten rather old. Not really, but somewhat. She noticed, suddenly, that she was one of the only two wearing black. She thought they were supposed to. The girl said nothing, standing there silently, before awkwardly mumbling, "I-um- hi." Ashlynn managed a small smile, her attention sliding first to the man leaning against the wall. "It's definitely, uh, been a while."   

She shot a shy smile at Elijah, unsure of what exactly to say, muttered a soft "It's really nice to see you again!" and greeted Luca with a gentle "Ciao" that he'd thought her when they were still high schoolers. The atmosphere was almost unbearing. Ashlynn went to the couch, taking a seat between Rosalind and Linda. She turned to Rosalind, and her face seemed to become significantly more relaxed, having kept in contact with her these past few years. Somewhat. "Hullo, Rose! How's Cian?" The blonde girl's attention seemed to drift away slightly, and she seemed to finally notice Linda and her husband, protruding belly and all. Her eyes lit up, revealing the childlike innocence and excitement she had been known for, and had dampened remarkably since she'd received the call. 

"Linda! Baby!" She scooted over, placing the cup in her hand on the table in front of the her. "Also, greetings, Victor! Have you decided what to name her? It's a girl, right?" A genuine smile formed on her lips, and for a moment, her mood was lifted, before the sudden thought of how excited Aaliyah would've been to see Linda, pregnant, and how she would've been so happy to hold the baby-

Her smile seemed to droop slightly, and her posture falling with her mood.

isabellaalderman_name60.png

Wearing: This (but no hat)

Feeling: Not fine

Isabella groaned as her phone buzzed, waking her from the short nap she had taken as soon as she got home. She hadn’t gotten much sleep, since she had driven from night to early morning, but she figured a few hours was better than nothing. Izzy reluctantly got up from her bed and greeted her parents and little sister, sitting down for a quick meal with them before she headed back to her room to get ready for the memorial. Izzy picked out a black dress, partially because of the occasion and partially because it’s something she would’ve worn on a normal day. She had also been wearing black the first time she’d met Aaliyah, so she figured it was appropriate. 

They had been in gym class, where Izzy was happily getting away with sitting on the bleachers for the whole period until a girl came up to her. “Hey! We need another player on our team, so I think you should join us.” Isabella wondered why this girl who she’d never talked to was approaching her now. She had protested, saying that she was no good at basketball or any sport, which was true, but Aaliyah somehow got her out onto the court anyways. Izzy made a fool of herself, but Aaliyah was patient and never made her feel bad about messing up. After class, Aaliyah had caught up with her. “I knew you weren’t some lonely goth girl,” Aaliyah had said. Izzy had been a bit surprised. Was that what she looked like to everyone else? Aaliyah had laughed. “Well when you wear black lace in spring and dye your hair blue, I think people just assume. But I’ve seen you laugh and smile. You’re a fun person, aren’t you, Isabella?"

Izzy sighed at the fond memory and tied her hair into a half-up-half-down style. She put on some makeup, putting in extra effort to cover up the exhaustion in her eyes. She had shed a few tears on the drive home, but she had never been much of a crier, so at least her eyes weren’t puffy. Izzy took a deep breath as she looked in the mirror. She didn’t want to go. She didn’t want to remember the things Aaliyah used to do but would never do again. She didn’t want to face Aaliyah’s family and have them wonder where she disappeared to and why she hadn’t stayed in touch. But most of all, she didn’t want to say goodbye. 

Isabella took her time walking up to the door of the Chesterfield house. Getting out of the car had been fine—even walking up the driveway wasn’t a big deal until she saw Aunt Tiana greeting everyone. Izzy gulped and willed herself to keep going. She had to do this—for Aaliyah. “Isabella, baby. It’s good to see you again. Don’t just stand out there; come on inside.” Izzy smiled and accepted the hug. “Thanks, Aunt Ti. I’m really sorry I didn’t come by sooner.” The woman just shushed her, assuring her that it was fine. She patted Izzy’s back and suggested she gather in the living room with everyone else. 

When Izzy saw several familiar faces, a smile slowly spread across her face, though it was hard to tell if she was happy or sad. She stood there for a second, taking in each face before approaching the group. She worked her way around the room, starting with Linda and Victor first. She gave Victor a brief, friendly hug before moving onto Linda, who received a longer but gentler embrace. “How are you holding up, hon?” she asked. Izzy was quite glad to see her; however, she suspected that traveling had not been on the top of Linda’s to-do list and hoped her friend was feeling well. They still kept in touch rather frequently—after all, what sort of Godmother would she be if she wasn’t up-to-date on all the progress reports? “And how is Miss Amelia today?” she asked excitedly before placing a hand on Linda’s belly at letting it rest there for a moment. "Ah, I don’t feel any movement. I guess she’s paying her respects, too.” The young woman smiled softly before moving down the couch.

“Ashlynn, it’s been so long!” Isabella quickly wrapped the precious smol bean into a hug and affectionately fixed some of her hair after she pulled away. “You look a little older than the last time I saw you,” she said a little sadly but then quickly laughed it off. “But I guess that’s just how it works, right? Wow, I feel like everyone has been growing up without me.”

“Rose!” She exclaimed, giving said woman a friendly hug. "Ah, you look amazing and beautiful as always. I—wow—gosh I’ve missed you.” Izzy said, starting to stumble over her words. She realized that she was probably more animated than most of the people present; however, she had never been good at things like this. Doom and gloom was just not her style, and she honestly had trouble figuring out how to act in serious situations. Plus, she was pretty sure Aaliyah wouldn’t have wanted to see them all sobbing, right? Isabella looked back to Rosalind. “We really need to catch up sometime; let me know if you’re staying in town for awhile."

“Luca?” Isabella tilted her head as if she didn’t quite recognize him. She gave him a hug, her hands resting on his jacket as she pulled away. “What are you wearing? It’s all fancy,” she said, admiring the material. “I’m guessing a lot has happened for you since high school. You look good though,” she said, a smile coming to her face. It was a little strange for Izzy—seeing him like this. Sure, he had always been fashionable, but there was something about him that seemed different to her. She couldn’t put her finger on it, but she felt it was something in his attitude or aura—something more than just nice clothes. Perhaps it was just the atmosphere that was throwing her off, and he really was just the same Luca she’d spent hours with, agonizing over art projects and talking about their latest inspirations.

Elijah received one of the bigger, less awkward hugs as Izzy approached him. Despite the distance, she had managed to stay in touch with him every now and then. Of course, it was nothing like the old days but it was enough to keep her from feeling quite as strange upon seeing him again. She had probably talked to him the most out of everyone in the room except for Linda, and she was grateful he was able to overlook her forgetfulness and continued to check in every now and then. “I’ve been meaning to text you back,” she said sheepishly, “it’s just life has been a bit crazy recently. But anyways, I’m glad to see you again.”

Isabella laughed half-heartedly as she looked around at the ragtag group. “Gosh, it’s like a reunion! Just like—“ Just like Aaliyah always wanted. Izzy let her sentence trail off. “Ah, well, you know what I mean,” she finished quietly before letting her gaze fall to the floor. She shifted uncomfortably, feeling rather awkward all of a sudden. A few tears slipped from her eyes, but she quickly wiped them away. “Wow, that's embarrassing, huh?” she said, simply laughing off her tears. Izzy hated crying in front of people, including her closest friends. It’s just that looking around at all of these people she had once been so close with suddenly overwhelmed her with all sorts of emotions, and it made her realize how strange it felt to be in Aaliyah’s house without her.

sethodonnell_name60.png

Wearing: This

Feeling: Fairly sullen

Seth’s mother stopped him before they left the house, her hands adjusting the collar of his shirt. She frowned as she looked him over, dragging him back to the bathroom to fix some stray red curls. Seth muttered a thank-you without making a fuss; he simply wasn’t in the mood for arguing or getting all worked up about anything right now. “You can’t show up to Aaliyah’s looking like a mess. Honestly, what would her father say if he saw you like this?” his mom joked. After she was satisfied, the woman grabbed her purse and followed Seth out the door.

They drove to the Chesterfield house in silence, and although Seth was grateful for the company, part of him wished he was making this trip alone. His mom got along well with other people, Aaliyah’s family members included, and she had never struggled to make friends like he did. Of course she cared about Aaliyah, but this was probably more personal for Seth than she could fully understand. Aaliyah had opened the door for him—shown him that he didn’t have to be alone when he had pretty much given up on making friends in school. Seth had been able to talk to her much easier than he could talk with anyone else, and he remembered thanking her once for always inviting him to things and talking with him. On the other hand, he was pretty sure he’d never told her just how much it meant to him that she had reached out. And now he would never have the chance.

When they walked up to the Chesterfield's, Seth could feel his throat tighten. Everything about the house, even from the outside, made him think about Aaliyah. The first time he had come over to hang out with everyone, she’d met him outside before he had even gotten to the door. Seth had been a little surprised by her eagerness and entered her house with caution. Yet over the years, it became a place that felt almost as much like home for him as his own house did. Aaliyah’s relatives were lovely people too—they were most forgiving and patient, but they also didn’t force him to spill his life story to them or anything. 

“Hello, Aunt Tiana,” Seth said politely. He greeted her with a nod and tried to smile, to which Tiana cracked a smile of her own and pulled him into a hug. “Well well, if it isn’t Mr. Seth O’Donnell. My word, where has the time gone? You kids have gotten so big,” she said. Seth noticed that Tiana looked quite sad after she said this, probably because she was thinking of Aaliyah. So he just stood there as she stared at him, though her gaze seemed to be looking past him into the distance as if she could see all the memories before she snapped out of her daze. “Well come in, come in.” Seth thanked her and walked in the house, his eyes slowly taking in all the familiar decorations. He forgot she had followed behind him until he heard her voice again. "Can I get you anything? Ice water? Lemonade?” 

“Ice water would be lovely, thanks,” he replied. After Aunt Ti brought him a glass, she noticed his mother and went to speak with her. Seth continued to walk slowly through the house until he came to the living room. He blinked, as if experiencing deja vu. Almost everyone was here, like the way they all used to gather whenever Aaliyah organized something. “Um, hello.” Seth cleared his throat and greeted everyone awkwardly. “It’s good to see you all again." He gave a polite nod and forced a small smile before shuffling over to the side of the room.

Isabella, who was standing closest to him, quickly smiled as she turned to him. Seth didn’t flinch at her affection like he normally did. She was careful not to overdo it, though, giving him only a quick hug before letting him have his space. “Well, it’s good to know you’re still alive too. I can’t say I’ve missed bickering with you, but I have to admit I’ve probably made more stupid decisions without you around to tell me so,” she teased lightly. Seth gave a slight chuckle but offered no further conversation as he let his eyes settle on each individual.

He gave a nod to Victor as their eyes met; Seth had always gotten along with him rather decently. He seemed like a good guy, and Linda clearly thought so too. Seth was tempted to say something about Linda’s very obviously round belly, but he held his tongue. He’d heard it was rude to just assume someone was pregnant and point out their shapely stomach if you weren’t sure. Seth hadn’t talked to Linda since she got married, so although it was likely, he wasn’t positive and didn’t want to make anyone mad at Aaliyah’s memorial. 

Seth looked at Rosalind and Ashlynn who sat on the couch, giving them a smile as he recalled some of the silly arguments he got into with them. They were rarely serious, and Seth had trouble ever staying angry at either of them, especially Ashlynn. Rose tended to argue for the fun of it, but Ashy was probably the sweetest person Seth had ever met. He vaguely remembered them talking for awhile after graduation, but they weren’t really in touch anymore. Seth had to admit he missed Ashlynn and even Rosalind sometimes, though. 

When he looked over at Luciano and Elijah, he gave them each a wave. Seth had never been particularly close with either of them, probably of his own fault. Still, he was glad to see that they had come—that everyone had come for Aaliyah’s sake. Perhaps they had all grown apart over the years, but in the end Seth figured they each understood the unspoken need to be here for her family and for each other. Aaliyah would have done the same for any of them, so as her friends, it was the least they could do.

Blake Carter

Outfit

Mood: F(reaked out)I(insecure)N(eurotic)E(motional)

Half an hour. One hour. Two hours. If he could ignore the reflection of his car's panel lights, he would see a hint of sunlight touching the night sky. Obviously that meant he had been driving a lot longer than he remembered. That fact alone should encourage him to pull over and get some sleep so he could actually think clearly, but he didn't. The chances of him getting a restful nap were pretty much non-existent, so he didn't bother. Besides, he only had a few hours left before he got there so there was no point in stopping now. 

Blake couldn't count the hours he had spent locked in his apartment after he heard about Aaliyah's death. All he knew was that he had gotten a text with the details on the memorial and he had to be there. Even if he didn't want to say goodbye, he had to be there for his friends. After all, tomorrow was never guaranteed, so he should see them while he could. Somehow he had gotten himself packed up and ready to go, but the motions were all robotic; just movements that were second nature, like a basic protocol. Which brought him here. 

Everything was starting to look familiar, which excited and terrified him in equal measure. He hadn't been here since he moved to Lodon for college...and there had been a good reason for that. Unfortunately, there was no way to avoid going past his dad's house on the way to the Chesterfield's. Eight, nine, ten houses down and there it was. His childhood home looked exactly the same, except for the peeling paint and over-run yard. In such a nice neighborhood, most people would think it was abandoned, but his dad still lived there as far as he knew. He dragged his attention back to the road, trying to psych himself up for what was coming. 

There were already several cars in the driveway so Blake parked carefully on the shoulder of the road. It took a moment for his glazed eyes to fully take in the house, the way it looked so lonely. Of course, most people wouldn't notice that, but none of them knew that someone was missing either. Finally he stepped out of his car, straightening his clothes out of habit. The way he walked up to the door gave him an aura of casual ease, but his blank gaze contradicted that notion. Before he had thought about it, his hand was knocking on the door. For a moment he worried he had knocked too many times, but those thoughts washed away as the door opened to reveal Auntie Tiana. They both moved in for a hug and she rubbed his back comfortingly, knowing words wouldn't help. "Everyone is gathered in the living room, I trust you can still find it?" She joked with a slightly forced smile. Blake choked on the sudden emotions that filled him as he looked around the too familiar house. He closed his eyes and nodded quickly, hoping not to break his no-crying streak that had started yesterday. He ran his hand through his hair quickly as Auntie Ti went towards the kitchen. Anxiety pulsed through him, making his hands shake slightly. He clenched his jaw and moved quickly towards the living room doorway before he lost his nerve. How did everything only get harder? 

Most of the group seemed to be here already, which made him feel twice as exposed and vulnerable as he walked in. He gave a slight nod in greeting, eyes firmly rooted to the floor. A small part of him wanted to go around and give everyone a hug, but his feet seemed to be stuck in place. Slowly his eyes found Luca, then Ashlynn, then Seth and he gave each of them a small smile. He felt too awkward around the others to really make eye contact, although he did notice that Linda was expecting. Rather than blurt out something awkward, he moved to the nearest chair and tripped. It wasn't too dramatic and he caught himself before he fell fully, but it was enough to be absolutely mortifying. He sat quickly, wrapping his arms around himself and ducking his head to hide his blush. Could this day get any worse? He fought back tears as he was reminded once again why he was here. None fell, but if he blinked the waterworks would definitely start. Yes, today could get a helluva lot worse. 

embed.php-26.png

Rosalind would never admit it to anyone but she’d been absolutely ecstatic over the sight of watching Tiana going to the answer the door once more. It meant distraction from the other two on the couch which she truly needed. She could feel herself wanting to start teasing, throwing shot after shot of whatever she could think of at Linda like old times sake when she wanted to have fun. But before then, Linda never appreciated it and she was positive she wouldn’t appreciate now. Besides, wasn’t getting all worked up bad for babies or whatever? She wasn’t sure but Rose was damned if Linda lost the baby because of her getting the pregnant woman worked up. 

So to see Luca walk in was a very welcomed distraction, a genuine smile coming to play at her lips. Eyes crinkling up with happiness she allowed the young man to take her hand, biting her lip flirtatiously (though it certainly would be to tease and nothing more). “It certainly has been Luciano.” She replied, her voice light as she nodded at him. As she would do so Elijah would be the next one to make an appearance. Her eyes would flicker towards him as he greeted the couple.

Back in high school it had always been  sort of love and hate relationship. While they were very civilized with one another and at times considered to be good friends- there were times when it wasn’t. When the two fought it could get down right vicious. More so with the fact that Rosalind loved the drama and pushing Elijah further and further over the line he’d try so desperately to keep away from. Then Elijah would only bark back due to his stubbornness and the fact that he didn’t like the rude attitude she would hold with him. But all in all, the two had managed to make it out as good friends and nothing more or less.

"Rosalind, very nice to see you again.”

"Likewise." She would reply with a coy smile as she stood to give him a hug. 

"It's been too long."

"We should have kept it that way." She replied, smirking at him as he rolled his eyes. "Yeah, there's the Rose I know. Gotta love her.” A small giggle would escape her lips and she would finally begin to relax, her tense shoulders now drooping with the amicable atmosphere around her.

The next person to come in would be an absolute delight to her and she’d smile at Ashlynn when she came to sit beside her. The question about Cian would throw her off, the same mischievous smile now dropping into a frown for a moment as she tried to recollect herself. It would be a quick change and she’d ease back into the smile. “He’s doing fine.” She’d respond and leave it at that as Ashlynn became enamored by Linda’s baby bump. The sight of Isabella however would make Rosalind grow warm with happiness. Though guilt would be gnawing at her too.

Despite having kept good contact with a lot of them Rose had cut them all off at a point due to her own selfish reason. Rosalind had realized long before that it hadn’t been fair to the others for her to jump up and go ghost on them the way she had. So she wouldn’t have been surprised if she’d gotten snarky comments over her disappearance but the warmth she’d received from the majority was alright. But Isabella? Isabella’s smile and hug had been a punch to the gut. Rosalind smiled back, hugging the one she had deemed a close friend tight until they let go of one another, her smile actually genuine and a bit sad. She would give an appreciative nod at the compliments given to her. “Oh please, me? You’re the beautiful one here and I’ve missed you too.” Rosalind would nod in response to her desire to catch finding that she actually wanted to do the same.

She would give Seth a small smile, remembering all the time she'd tried her best to fluster him when he’d went into what she liked to call ‘mother’ mode. Those certainly had been fun times and the childish side of Rose wondered if she’d still be able to do that now. Blake came in as well and she watched him with curiosity as he seemed so shy and quiet. He’d always been like that right? Poor guy. She would give a small cringe when he’d stumble over his feet and trip. But he seemed somewhat okay though it was obvious he wasn’t in the best mood. Quite frankly none of them were but Blake seemed to not be doing so hot like the rest of them were. If Rose had been close to the guy she certainly would have walked over there to try and comfort him the best she could but sadly she was not. So with that she averted her eyes, knowing that someone would be the better person and step up.

Victor Kwon - Outfit: HairJacketShirtPantsShoes - Accessories: Wedding RingWatch

Linda Tran - Outfit: HairDressShoes - Accessories: Hair PinPendent (Given to her by Aaliyah), EarringsBraceletsWatchWedding Ring

Although the couple thought it might be an hour or two, Victor and Linda found themselves with some company. For the most part though, Victor was just cuddling his wife since the pregnancy was taking its toll on her on top of the tragedy that struck. The first person to join them was Rose, who sent Victor a small wave. While Linda didn't like it, because she really hated it when other women tried to flirt with her husband, she didn't really voice it and didn't want to get worked up because if she did, her water would break and send her into labor. The expecting woman would relax as soon as Rose practically congratulated the couple on the pregnancy and saying that it was cute. Considering their relationship in the past, Linda didn't really want Rose anywhere near her baby once she is born. Feeling more and more tired due to the sadness, she just leaned into her husband. Victor on the other hand, just smiled curtly at Rose. "Rose, long time no see." He said, greeting her before going back to keeping his wife comfortable. "Hi Rose." Linda greeted her as well, not wanting to be rude because now was a bad time to be getting into a fight. They all lost a good friend after all. Linda also didn't really want to reopen any old wounds either, though the same could not be said for anyone else in the group, which she was concerned about.

The next to join them would be Luciano, also known as Luca. Sadly, he and Linda were never really that close. Of course, he would greet Rose first, even kissing her hand, which did make Victor smile a bit. When he turned to greet the two, the first thing he noticed was that Linda was pregnant. Then it seemed like he was asking if it was a girl, causing Victor to laugh a bit. "Yes, its a girl. And thank you." Linda replied when he congratulated the couple. By this time, Linda had interlocked her fingers, still holding her belly. Victor just rubbed her back and her shoulder. Followed by Luca, was Elijah. Sadly, Elijah was Linda's least favorite out the group. Even Victor was aware that the two had bad blood, so he was a little weary. When he congratulated them on the baby, Linda wanted to smile, but then he commented on how Linda mothered everyone. Victor already disliked the attitude, but kept it cool for the sake of the Chesterfields and for Linda. "Thanks. I'm just as excited as you are." Linda replied. His Chirpy Mood just gave her more of a reason to be suspicious and she wanted to think that he was being two-faced. If anything, she thought that he was being sarcastic concerning her parenting skills.

When Ashlynn had entered the room, Linda was a just a bit happier. She did move over a bit when the other girl was walking over and then plopping herself right in between her and Rose. This did keep Linda at ease, since she did kinda want to say something to Rose for attempting to flirt with Victor --- At least that's what she perceived. Victor and Linda smiled a bit when Ashlynn started asking about the baby. "Yeah, its a little girl. We're naming her Amelia." Victor answered, smiling as he held Linda's hand. When she started frowning, Victor wanted to ask what was wrong, because she was just happy a moment ago. However, he did kinda know why, so he ceased the thought of even asking because he himself found it a stupid question.

Following Ashlynn was Isabella, whom Linda had missed the most. Of course, they kept in frequent contact, because both Victor and Linda have named her Amelia's Godmother. Victor returned the hug, even though it was brief. With Linda however, it was a bit more intimate, because the two were in fact best friends. "I'm doing fine, Izzy, its just that...Everyday when I don't think I can possibly get any bigger and then I do." She smiled. Although she pretty much said that in front of everyone, she didn't really care because she was being honest about it. When asked about how Amelia was doing, Linda looked up, still smiling. "Amelia is doing great. She has been quite active these past few days." She said, looking down at her belly when Izzy put her hand on it. However, Amelia didn't kick like she normally would. "Yeah, she's been really quiet today." Linda frowned.

After Isabella, Seth came in. However, this one was a little awkward. Seth had always been a man of few words, at least to Linda. Victor has gotten along with him and the man never really did anything wrong. Him and Linda very rarely interacted, but still had the same mutual friends for the most part. Sadly, like everyone else, he was missing Aaliyah, so he was mostly pretty quiet and soft-spoken. Next up would be Blake. By far, his entrance was the most awkward. He didn't even bother to greet anyone at all, instead moving to the closest chair and nearly tripping. Like Seth, Blake was also a man of few words, at least to Linda.

Now they were just missing one person...Kingsley...If he was going to show up any later, Linda would most likely have words for him. As everyone settled in, Linda just rubbed her belly gently to ease the pain that she had been feeling. Victor then grabbed a nearby throw pillow and placed it behind her so that she could relax, knowing that her backache had been more persistent then usual.

coollogo_com-60754202.png

Outfit

Mood: Desolated.

Kingsley stared at the mess he made. It was still unclear to him as to when he had picked up such a terrible temper, at the cost of his ornaments. He had spent a good amount of time drowning himself in the memories he had made back in high school after he woke up. It was ironic, Kingsley had promised himself not to bring anything that would remind him of his group of friends back in high school, yet everything in his apartment brought back unwanted memories. On his way to the kitchen, his eyes were drawn to the guitar that rested in the corner of his living room. It was odd, he never recalled bringing his guitar along when he moved, nor did he ever realise that it was there all along. Kingsley remembered that he used to play silly songs with his beloved guitar, mostly for fun. The growing layer of dust that covered the guitar proved that he hadn't picked up the guitar ever since moving to his apartment. 

Oh, how time truly flew. All these memories made it feel like he had just graduated yesterday. It was a scary feeling--one that Kingsley tended to avoid. Breakfast was depressing. After all, he had lost his appetite after hearing the news about his dearest friend. Shortly after, he directed all his rage at any inanimate objects near his vicinity. This created a huge hassle for him as he had to clean up after his mess. 

Kingsley realised that he had lost control of his emotions, despite him being conscious of his own doings. This meant that he wouldn't be able to maintain his composure in front of others any longer. Not wanting to let his facade slip, he called for a week worth of break. Hopefully, this was enough time for him to get over Aaliyah's death. He was quite shocked at the response he received. "So you've realised that you needed a break, huh?"  Of course, Kingsley had just shrugged the comment off as a playful jest made by his colleague.  

The drive to the Chesterfields' was longer than he thought, or perhaps it was just his perception of time. Driving down the familiar neighbourhood was nostalgic, even he felt a tug at the corner of his lips, threatening form a smile. He wasn't sure about how everyone would react to him, or rather, how they would lecture him about being late. Kingsley shuddered at the thought of Linda's scoldings. Up till now, he never forgot about her temper. Perhaps I got that temper from her, He snorted. It had been years, how could he possibly retain some of his best friends' traits? Scoffing at the mere idea, he quickly parked his car somewhere close and walked towards the house he often visited as a teenager. 

No feelings, don't show any signs of weakness. The old you is gone. Kingsley repeated this over and over, like some sort of mantra on the way to the door. It only took a few knocks before Aunty Ti opened the door and welcomed him with open arms, "Kingsley! Look at how much you've grown! Though you need to work on your tardiness." She grinned at him. Kingsley blinked at her for a few seconds before offering a polite smile and accepted the hug. "It's been awhile, Aunty Ti. It would have been nice visiting under other circumstances, though." He noted as he slipped away from Aunty Ti's embrace. Kingsley felt something warm bubbling in his chest after the exchange, this wasn't a good sign. Nothing, this is nothing. The moment this is all over they're going to leave and continue with their lives. Nothing you do here matters, nothing good ever happens when you get attached. 

As Kingsley chided himself, Aunty Ti told him something he didn't quite catch. Before he could ask, Aunty Ti moved away from the door, allowing him to enter the house. Kingsley let out a breath that he didn't even know he was holding and made his way to the living room. It was weird reuniting with everyone without Aaliyah. After all, she was the one who brought them all together. "Hello, it's been awhile, hasn't it?" He greeted the group as a whole, abstaining from going up to every single one of them to chat. "Sorry for being late, I lost track of time while preparing myself." Kingsley kept it short and simple, leaving out the unnecessary details. What he didn't realise was that this created a professional air around him, as if he wasn't here as a friend but more of ' just-another-person-who-came-to-send-their-condolences '. 

image.gif

no update !!

One by one, the others seemed to be arriving, and Ashlynn felt herself growing more and more uncomfortable. It'd been what 3, 4, years since she'd seen any of their faces, and meeting them now only stirred up unwanted feelings of heartbreak and nostalgia. She brushed it off and focussed her attention on the expecting lady beside her instead, smiling and putting on an excited act. Fake it till you make it, after all. "Amelia? That's a really pretty name! Congratulations!" She left it at that, turning away and forcing an unnatural smile onto her lips as she sat there, suffocating in the awkward atmosphere. Izzy's appearance lightened it up a little, but the tension was still horribly thick, even if the blue-haired girl did her best to cheer everyone up. She'd switched herself off at this point, like she did when people would make fun of her, or she just didn't want to listen during a lecture.  

"Time doesn't wait for anyone, Izzy. No matter how much they try." Ashlynn said absentmindedly in response to Izzy's greeting to her, her head tilting ever so slightly towards the left. Realising her demeanour, she snapped back upright, letting out a small nervous laugh. "That's, um, what my brother says, at least."

She allowed a small smile to form when Seth walked in, his bright red hair a striking contrast to the dark gloom of the room. Ashlynn had fond memories of trying to drag Seth around, and listening to talk for hours on end about lots of interesting things before giving up when he realised he had lost her halfway through. He reminded her so much of her brother, that for a while after the group split up it had hurt to look at Matty. Next to enter was Blake, in all his awkward, shy, glory. He said nothing, but sent a smile towards her, which she returned. Her blue eyes would follow him as he made for a seat, and watch as somewhere, somehow, he tripped, catching himself just before hitting the ground. Ashlynn flinched obviously, pursing her lips and noting the flush on his face as he quickly sat down. He must've been mortified. Rose seems to feel sorry for him, and Ashlynn's feelings reflected hers. She did the only thing she could think of, reach over and pat him in a meek attempt to boost his confidence.

A quick look-around the room and struggles to recall held that Kingsley still wasn't here. He was the last one left not present, if she remembered correctly. She chewed on her lop, wondering where the South Korean was. He had always had a problem with puncutality, but she trusted that he would show up soon. No one would ever miss this. Aaliyah had been to kind for anyone to ditch her memorial. If you did, you were a bloody bastard. Ashlynn hoped Kingsley wasn't a bloody bastard. Though, she worried for him, as he'd probably get a earful from the 3 other women in the room, especially Linda. Maybe Victor would stop her. Linda getting worked up while pregnant would be terrible, it wouldn't be good at all for the baby, she reckoned.

Her posture straightened when Kingsley, waiting for a cheerful smile and a goofy joke to throw some brightness into the equation, but all she got was more doom to the gloom. There was something off about him, and a small light bulb went off in her head when Izzy's words came to her again. It was as if he'd grown up without all of them, in his own time, accelerated by another 10 years. There was a professionality to him that made her uncomfortable, and his words didn't seem genuine, nor did they have the easy playfulness she had loved him for.

Who the hell was this?

Luciano Dinapoli

It honestly warmed Luca's heart when he saw Linda and Victor. Children were his weakness and it was safe to say his youngest sister, Katerina, was the cause. Having raised the girl from birth until she could finally spell and write her name, it was inevitable for him to grow fond of all little monsters. Even when they pulled at his hair.

Elijah soon made his appearance, offering a friendly greeting, which Luciano returned. "Thank you, Elijah. Likewise, though I'm embarrassed to say I don't know much of what you've been up to these last few years." The smallest grin played at his lips as he leaned against the wall. He still didn't know what to make of it all. There he was, standing in a house he would consider his second home, with people he once called his friends. It felt strange seeing everyone and he could feel the discomfort growing more every time a familiar face stepped through the doorway.

First, it was Ashlynn, the girl he would probably jump in front of a bullet for. She was practically another Katerina, only older and not as clumsy. The next person who walked through was when Luciano felt... odd. The older male wrapped his arms around Izzy's waste as they exchanged hug. He let his hands rest there as her fingers felt the material of his blazer in admiration. Hearing Izzy say "You look good" changed his grin into a smirk. "I don't compare to you, Baby Doll," he commented in a teasing tone, emphasizing the old nickname he once called her during their high school years.

A head of curly red hair soon made an appearance, to which Luciano simply nodded towards. He and Seth weren't the closes out of them all. Aside from working on the occasional school project or assignment, they really only met when everyone met as a group Could they have been friends? If Luciano had made an extra effort, possibly.

With a bang, literally, Blake Carter found his way to the living room. Luciano's eyes widen slightly at seeing one of his closer pals fall to the floor. He stepped forwards and stood next to his friend, giving the guy a pat on the shoulder. "And people say I make flashy appearances," the Italian joked, his attempt at lightening the mood. "It's good to see you, man." He added in a gentler tone. Out of everyone with respects to Aaliyah and possibly Izzy, Blake was whom Luca would call one of his best friends back in the day. Though he would never use the term so lightly now, especially with his lame endeavor to keep in touch.

With almost the entire gang reunited, it was time to wait for Kingsley, the loud prankster of the group. Luciano expected a man with a cheesy grin to step through the door, but it someone he didn't recognize instead. While they were never close, the change would've been obvious to anyone. He was surprised, of course, though he didn't show his emotion because he knew, better than anyone, how a person could transform.

embed.php-21.png

And a bit of our lovely Rosalind.

Elijah enjoyed watching as one by one, the living room filled up once more with the very people he’d deemed friends. Of course he’d managed to keep in contact with a small handful of them, though the ones he’d considered the closer friends excluding Aaliyah had cut him off. But now wasn’t the time to think about how he’d stopped talking to the people important to him. Linda had spoken to him and he’d given her a simple nod. That was the most they’d probably be talking today and he was honestly fine with that. She had never liked him back in high school and while Elijah didn’t particularly like having someone hate his guts the way she did he eventually got over it. He couldn’t make everyone happy.

Luca would be next and he’d send the other man a small smile, giving a small shake of his head and waving his hand gently in the air. “Don’t be embarrassed. Life got to us. What I do isn’t very important.” The next would be Ashlynn and he’d simply send her a warm smile in response to the quick greeting she’d thrown at him before moving off. The next would be Isabella and he’d give her a very warm greeting, pulling the young woman into his embrace and giving her a tight hug that he hoped explained how much he’d missed her. “Life is life,” He’d reply with a shrug. “No need for me to grow upset with you when you’ve been doing your thing. Let’s just make the most of it now yeah? It may not be for a such a good reason but it’s all we’ve got.”

Seth would make his appearance afterwards and Elijah would greet him with a nod and small wave. Despite them not having been the closest, he still had liked the guy and was certainly glad to see him. Blake would come right along and make a big entrance despite probably having wanted to stay in the shadows. Elijah frowned slightly at the tripping but would think it was alright when Luca tried to smooth the awkwardness and general sadness over it. Now the only one left? Kingsley. Kingsley had been Elijah’s bed friend back in his school. He wasn’t exactly sure how Kingsley had felt about him but Kingsley was one of the very few that Elijah felt had accepted him for who he was and had actually given him a chance instead of writing him off like so many others had. So it was an understatement to say that Elijah was anticipating the man’s visit. 

But the moment the man came around, the wide smile that had flickered onto Elijah’s face would falter. That was his friend for sure… But, what was wrong with him? Elijah had graduated with Kingsley- the jokester who he’d enjoyed messing around with and getting into trouble. But this man right here? That was no jokester. Automatically Elijah made a mental note to pull Kingsley to the side at some point and talk to him. To see how he was doing. For now he’d chalk it up to the passing of their friend. They were all sad, each person dealing with it the best way they could. So with that he’d send a smile at Kingsley.

“You’re fine man. Being late is better than not showing up at all. It’s good to see you.” He’d say, giving the one he’d called friend a nod.

Just like the others, Rose had taken notice of the new Kingsley that had walked through the door and she’d be lying if she said it didn’t catch her interest. Now she knew now wasn’t a good time but the pettiness was certainly trying to peak through. For now she kept it down, watching Kingsley with interest as her thoughts raced with rude things to say. Oh how she wanted to pick at him, speak up on his tardiness. But she’d let Linda do that. That’s all the woman did anyways. But then again… It was never too early to test the waters...

“I don’t know Eli,” Rose would speak up, inspecting her nails with a look of boredom. “Tardiness shouldn’t be forgive so easily like that. Especially when it’s an event like this. But I’m sure you wouldn’t do it again right? Maybe you’ll... Prepare yourself a bit earlier.” She would end this off with a teasing smirk, mischief clear in her eyes. Rosalind was sure the others wouldn’t be too happy with her at the moment but hey- at least they’d all know just what exactly was up with him when he’d give his response. Whichever way it went- good or bad- she’d enjoy it.

Elijah rolled his eyes, feeling a slight tinge of annoyance with Rose. Couldn't she give them one day? Apparently not. 

"Stop it Rose." He said, frowning at her. She simply smiled at him in response.

After getting over her shock at Ashlynn's surprisingly mature response to her greeting, Izzy had been relieved at Elijah’s reply. Leave it to Elijah to put her worries at ease; he always seemed to know what to say to make her feel better. “No need for me to grow upset with you when you’ve been doing your thing. Let’s just make the most of it now yeah? It may not be for a such a good reason but it’s all we’ve got.” Of course he wouldn’t think badly of her late replies to messages; it was a bit silly to think he would have been upset, she realized. His response made her smile, as did Luciano’s. Actually, Luca’s “Baby Doll” nickname made her snicker. “You’re a cheese ball, Luca. A great big bowl of parmigiano,” she had teased, emphasizing her fake Italian accent.

The blue-haired girl had planned to say hello to Blake, regardless of his lack of greeting, when she noticed Kingsley finally enter the room. She brightened, sure that if anyone could lighten the mood even a little, it would be him. Izzy was never one to complain about tardiness, as she herself was generally less than punctual, but she let a smile cross her lips when Rosalind took a pass at Kingsley. She was pretty sure the other girl was joking, though she couldn't be completely positive. Rosalind had always been quite good at provoking the other member of the group with her snarky remarks. Izzy let out a small chuckle, less at Rose’s comment and more at the fact that she had commented and that Elijah was quick to tell her to stop. “Just like old times, huh?” Isabella said lightly, not even realizing she’d said the words aloud until they were in the air.

Isabella was so good at ignoring obvious tension that she could probably list it as a skill on her resume. “Who are you, and what have you done with Kingsley?” she joked with a smile, approaching him for a hug as well. As Izzy realized he wasn’t going to laugh with a friendly comeback or even, really, acknowledge his friends she stepped back. Her face fell a little, thinking that her joke should probably have been considered a legitimate question. But honestly, what was with the weird, un-Kingsley-like vibe he was putting out?

Pulling away from the unusually frigid feeling she got from the other man, Izzy scooted over toward Blake, who was possibly feeling more awkward than all of them combined. She said a simple “Hey, Blake,” to him and rested a hand on his shoulder, as if offering comfort. She refrained from a hug attempt, though, fearing it would be unwelcome like it had seemed with Kingsley or just make Blake feel even more awkward than he had been upon entering.

Isabella sighed almost inaudibly, trying to think of something to say to break the tension but coming up with nothing. Hopefully’s Rosalind’s comment would do more good than harm and maybe get them all back into the swing of chatting a little. Though, maybe that was too much to ask for while they were all in such moods. Izzy knew there wasn’t much point in trying to lift everyone’s spirits when they were all here because of Aaliyah’s passing, but part of her felt like it was the only thing she could do. Her shoulders slumped a little, as she just accepted the silence and silently prayed for Aunt Tiana or someone to come back and say something—even if only to offer up more drinks, preferably alcoholic this time.

coollogo_com-60754202.png

“You’re fine man. Being late is better than not showing up at all. It’s good to see you.” Kingsley almost sighed in relief at Elijah's response. However, before he could say anything else, Rose beat him to it.  “I don’t know Eli,” There it was. He should have known better than to think that they'd let him off. “Tardiness shouldn’t be forgiven so easily like that. Especially when it’s an event like this. But I’m sure you wouldn’t do it again right? Maybe you’ll...Prepare yourself a bit earlier.”  Subconsciously, Kingsley clenched his fist and gritted his teeth. He had to choose his words tactfully, lest an argument broke out. "Most definitely," He forced out a polite smile at Rose, hoping that she would drop the subject. Thankfully, Elijah came to his rescue and told Rose off for him. Though, Kingsley wasn't so sure if Rose would do as told. He could only count on his luck to avoid future jabs at him.

Just before he could move to a more comfortable spot to seek refuge from the stares he received, Izzy made a comment that threw him off guard, “Just like old times, huh?”

Perhaps it wasn't a good choice to have stood there for too long. Maybe if he had moved, Izzy wouldn't have approached him with such an innocent smile that made him feel guilty for putting on a mask of indifference. “Who are you, and what have you done with Kingsley?” She heard him joke as she motioned for a hug. Kingsley knew, he knew that if he had accepted the hug, he wouldn't be able to keep up with his facade any longer. That was why he stood rooted to the ground and denied the hug. He noticed the hurt look that flashed across her face for a brief moment before she scooted over to Blake. This made him feel even more guilty. It was painfully obvious that he wasn't needed here. All he did was create trouble and strained their relationships. 

Without saying another word, Kingsley moved away from the doorway to a secluded corner. Maybe if he stayed quiet throughout all of this, they'd forget about his presence entirely and left him to his own devices. He really didn't want to hurt anyone else, despite not holding onto their promises. For Aaliyah's sake, he didn't bring himself to despise them. 

That being said, he was still afraid of what Linda would do. She had been quiet ever since he entered the room after all. 

Victor Kwon - Outfit: HairJacketShirtPantsShoes - Accessories: Wedding RingWatch

Linda Tran - Outfit: HairDressShoes - Accessories: Hair PinPendent (Given to her by Aaliyah), EarringsBraceletsWatchWedding Ring

As soon as Kingsley finally showed up, Linda remained silent for the most part. The fact that he was late didn't upset her. However, it wasn't like he left them waiting until sunset or something. Quietly, she just caressed her belly as her baby had started kicking when he had entered the room. Her husband just put his arm around her, watching as the other man interacted with the rest of the group, giving his explanation to being late. However, to Victor, Kingsley just seemed really skittish. When he just moved to a secluded corner, Victor raised an eyebrow. 'Wow, he is really skittish.' Victor thought. When Linda watched him move away from Blake, she wanted to voice her disappointment, but tried to remain calm and not think too negatively, because that would affect her baby and she didn't want that. Not to mention the fact that she was full-term and could go into labor at any minute. Finally, she called him out for going into an isolated corner. "Better late then never." she sighed, directing her comment towards him. "You don't have to hide in a corner, Kingsley. I know its been a long time and its kinda awkward, but you're a part of this group. Stop being such a loner." She said, brushing her hair with her fingers as she continued to caress her belly, attempting to calm down the baby, who was still fidgeting. "And please, don't get me worked up...Its gonna stress out my baby." She continued before leaning into the pillow and towards her husband.

embed.php-26.png

If there was one thing that Rose would always admit to, it was the way she liked to try and provoke every single person around her. Depending on the person, she could be somewhat successful. For her to know if she was or not, she had to always observe. Now that she thought about it, this was probably how she’d gotten so good at being aware of her surroundings and how to read certain people. She couldn’t read them all though she certainly did try. But if she was around you long enough she knew just what to do. So of course her eyes would be trained on Kingsley despite having glanced over at Elijah to send him a smile. So the sight of him clenching his fist and the movement of his mouth was enough for the grin to grow on her face.

Had she struck a nerve? Was he going to bark back? She wasn’t too sure. He had always been so kind and light-hearted. The jokester. So of course this shouldn’t have gotten to him. But people did change and from the moment he walked in it was obvious he was one of them. So this right here- Was her way of testing out the new waters. Eager for his response, the one given wouldn’t be good enough. The grin that seemed to be transitioning into a smirk would immediately falter at the words that finally left his mouth. The faltering lips would then turn into a frown.

Most Definitely? Seriously? That was all he had to say? 

With a scrunch of her nose, she’d sip her juice once more, taking notice that she didn’t have anymore left. Her mind was racing with multiple things she could say now but they wouldn’t go as planned. Isabella would speak up, being just as bubbly as Rose could remember. She’d go in for a hug and even then Kingsley wouldn’t give it to her. What was up with this guy? What was with the sudden change?

As Linda spoke up to Kingsley, Rose would stand herself. Turning she’d make her way out of the room and to the kitchen where Tiana would be, standing over the stove.

“Auntie, may I have more to drink?” She asked, sending the older woman a warm smile as she turned around.

“Of course baby! How’s it going in there?” She asked, taking the cup and filling it.

“Oh as good as it can.” She replied, taking the cup back once it was given and giving a nod of thanks. “Where’s Papa Smurf?”

“He took a walk earlier before you all got there. But I figure he must be close since my little one isn’t around…” She replied, going back to the food. She turned around, grabbing a rag and turning back to the oven to pull out the dishes. “You hungry?”

“Famished Auntie. It’s been too long since I’ve had your cooking.” Rose replied, giving her a smile. Tiana smiled back. “We’ll be eating soon.”

Just as all of this was going on, the man of the hour would be making his way back to the house- Ready to speak to the very people he deemed to be his sons and daughters… His children.

Somewhere within the depths of the house there would come the sound of a slamming door; boyish giggles filling the air. There would be slow, deliberate footsteps going through the hall and seconds later an older man would appear. In his arms would be a young boy, a bright smile on his face. That would be little Dion, the youngest member of the Chesterfield family. Having been born when Aaliyah’s group had just split apart he didn’t know many and had spent more of their arrival, hiding on the stairs and watching them. He was a quiet soul. Aaliyah always joked that his soul had been one that had seen this Earth more times than most hence his personality. The others would laugh at that and joke with the young one so to see them all so sad, it made him wonder just what had happened? Was it because Auntie Aaliyah wasn’t there anymore? Mama had said she had left them for a long time. Dion wondered when she’d be coming back.

“Well if it isn’t the group of rascals that helped add ten years to my life.” The older man spoke, his voice booming as it always had. Leo Chesterfield- better known as Papa Smurf to the group as it had been his nickname- sent them all a warm smile. Tiana walked into the room, sending her older brother a sad smile and taking the child in his arms. Dion would let out a giggle at the tickles his mother shared as she carried him out of the room. Leo made his way to the old recliner in the corner that none of them had sat in. It had been there for years, well before the birth of any of them and had always been his chair. It had seen many years and Leo liked to think that it had been through just as much as he had. With a small sigh, he’d settle down into the chair; his older age becoming obvious with the way he slowly moved and the cracks of his bones. This didn’t deter the rigid man though. He was still as strong as he was before if not stronger and in his mind he had plenty more time to go.

His eyes scanned each and every one of them in silence as he reached into the basket in the side to grab his small bottle of scotch and shot glass. He’d pour himself one before easily taking it.

“You all look well,” He’d finally speak, giving a nod as his eyes landed on Linda and the noticeable bump. “I see the third generation is about to start. Congrats to the both of you. You’re going to be a great mother Linda- don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Victor- It’s going to be scary to be a father but you’re tough, you’ll do just fine.”

He looked at the rest of them, raising an eyebrow. “What about the rest of you? I want to see some grandkids!” With this he’d give out a loud laugh, his shoulders shaking as a hand grasped his stomach, the smile on his face wide. It would be somewhat different to see Mr. Chesterfield like this as he had never been one to joke around but when he did it was always nice. He always had a warm vibe when he smiled and laughed. Though this time it was obvious that he was trying his best to comfort the adults in the room that he saw as his children. He may have helped some, may not, or may have made it worse but at the end of it all, it was more to the fact that he tried… Even when he himself was dying on the inside. His laughter would calm down until he made a contented noise, the bright smile getting smaller.

“I’m so happy to see you all. This means so so much to me that you’d all take the time to come and mourn with us over the loss of Aaliyah… My baby girl..” His voice would catch at the end, causing the man to clear his throat and give a sniff. “It certainly was unexpected and I truly wish she didn’t have to leave just yet. But she was called back home and for that there’s nothing much I can do but come to accept it. I hope you all do the same. Now I know you all don’t want to hear me talk, I’m sure you want to get reconnected. I know Tia has made some dinner. Be sure to eat before you go. I’ll be here if you need to talk. Now go on, this is the one and only time I’m actually allowing you to eat my damn food. Don’t question it now!”

Once he was finished speaking, Leo would take another two shots of his scotch, his eyes drifting over to the pictures on the wall as he got lost in the beautiful family memories he’d had with not only his blood family, but the others. The same smiling mask he’d been wearing as he spoke would now be gone, the pained face being revealed as tears pooled at his eyes and threatened to spill over. He’d wipe at one that managed to escape, muttering a few words under his breath. Despite what the others were doing he’d look back at them all, his voice calling out once more.

“Don’t you all forget… You all are always welcomed in this house and that I love you like you’re my own children. Never forget that, okay? You live this life the way you want and make no regrets on it… Make no regrets.” The tears would spill over then and Papa Smurf would finally break down, bringing his hands to his face as his shoulders shook from the silent weeping. Oh how he’d wished he’d said the same to his daughter. So his only solace would be saying it to the rest and hoping they’d understand.

embed.php-21.png

Mood: Feeling like a failure

Elijah wasn’t sure about the others but the sudden slamming of the door had made him jump. Nothing too big behind it, just caught him by surprise. Reminded him of all the times he’d had to sneak out of houses when parents would come home. Whether it was a girl's house or a guy's. Kind of reminded him of those times Mr. Chesterfield would come in the house, screaming for them to leave. Sure it could get scary- It always depended on the man's mood. But it was never a true yell. Elijah had learned this after the first year. He may have yelled at them but it wasn't something to be taken seriously. Not until he got that look in his eyes and his nostrils flared. That's when Elijah knew shit had gotten real.

When the man of the house finally appeared, Elijah wouldn't be able to help the wide smile that came to his face. He had certainly missed the man, more than he had realized. After graduation, while he'd talked to Aaliyah there were plenty of times where he'd  ended up coming to Papa Smurf instead for things only he could answer. But like with the others, contact had become few and far between and the sight of Leo would bring even more regret. He'd chuckle at the first comment, finally feeling himself relax a bit more than before.

Though the second would catch him off guard. He knew Chesterfield would be happy to see that one of them was having a child but then to ask them all? Now the man sounded like his own fathers.

"Sorry Papa Smurf," Elijah spoke up, scratching his neck. "Not all of us can say we've found the one, let alone have time for the child. I'm sure you'll get some more soon enough though."

His eyes scanned the room on the others, wondering what they were thinking. There may have been a time where just by looking at their facial expressions but looking now?  He couldn't tell. He knew nothing. Gone were the days where he'd be able to translate the different smiles and frowns, the looks of deceit, betrayal, and joy. Now they were simply strangers. All here to mourn over someone who had once made them something. Elijah wondered if they'd ever get that back.

At the mention of food, Elijah's stomach would give a subtle growl causing Elijah to bring a hand to it as though to calm it down. Food did sound great. This would certainly live up to the label of comfort food too. Just what they all needed. He would turn around, getting ready to walk into the kitchen when he'd hear it- 

That tone. This wasn't the usual, joyful one that Mr. Chesterfield had always used on them. Nor was it the tone that showed anger. This was one he'd heard on those rare occasions when he had nowhere else to go and had no comfort. The words the man he called father would pierce through him. It would hurt like hell to hear these words be given to them when they should have been given to Aaliyah. To the one that actually deserved it because it they were to be real? None of them did. Elijah was sure a good amount of them had dropped Aaliyah to live their lives. Yet here was her father, so thankful to have them when they'd been no better than a piece of shit.

He was a piece of shit.

The tears pooled at his eyes as regret washed over him. He couldn't cry now. It wasn't a time to cry. Not now! Wiping angrily at the tears, Elijah would look at the others though he wouldn't focus on them long as his eyes rested back on the man in the recliner. One foot after the next, Elijah would find himself marching over to the crying man until he was straight in front of him. By now the tears would be running freely down his face for their escape. There was no need to bring them to a halt. He'd shakily crouch down in front of Mr. Chesterfield, sniffling on his own before speaking.

"I-I'm sorry." He'd stumble out, a hand rubbing up and down his own arm for comfort as he tried to console the man before him. "I... I'm so sorry about Aaliyah. She shouldn't have been taken from us man. Not her. She was our angel Mr. Chesterfield. She didn't deserve to die and I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I couldn't do anything to help her. I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner.... M- Mr. Chesterfield why couldn't it have been someone else?" Elijah's shoulders would begin to shake as he silently cried in front of the man, the only telling being the loud sniffles that would escape him. He sat there for a few moments before feeling arms wrap around him. It would be Chesterfield himself, pulling the young man into a comforting hug as Elijah finally let out a loud sob before quieting. The man would rock them back and forth, whispering comforting words into Elijah's ear for what would seem like hours before they'd finally break apart. Elijah would stay in his position for a bit longer before bringing himself to stand. Never letting his eyes leave the ground, he'd walk past the rest of the group and out of the room.

Now was a better time than any for that comfort food.

The sudden door slam caused Linda to look back towards the entrance of the home. Not that it scared her or anything. It would seem that Papa Smurf had finally arrived. She hadn't seen him since her Wedding. She would be seeing him at the Baby Shower that Aaliyah had planned, but that wasn't going to be happening anymore. The thought of it made her really, really sad, even leaving her on the verge of tears. However, she did smile a bit when he congratulated her and Victor on the pregnancy and said that they were going to be great parents. Even Victor smiled at the fact "Thanks Papa Smurf, I really appreciate it." 

Linda already had no doubt that Victor would be a great father, and he could say the same for her on being a mother. She chuckled when Papa Smurf looked at everyone else and stated that he wanted Grand Kids. But it did hurt her to know that he wouldn't have Grandchildren of his own due to Aaliyah's passing. "In three more weeks, you're going to be having a Granddaughter." Linda finally replied.

Sadly, it was a little apparent that she was trying to hold tears back. In response, Victor just rubbed her back. When Papa Smurf started talking about Aaliyah, Linda found it progressively harder and harder to hold onto her tears. "We all loved her, Papa Smurf, and you took great care of her, we all did. But its time for someone else to take care of her now." Tears rolled down Linda's cheek as Victor found himself speechless, as if his heart was too heavy. "I...I still remember my last conversation with her. The second I told her that I was pregnant, she started...She started talking about how she wanted to throw me a baby shower and how she was going to be a great auntie to Amelia..." After saying her daughter's name, Linda just straight up started crying.

Its never easy when an angel gains their wings early. If there was anything Victor had regretted, it was not having the pleasure to get to know Aaliyah until the later years. He frowned when he started remembering the few memories that he had of her. For the first time in a while, he didn't even know how to calm his wife down. "I'm so sorry for your loss, Papa Smurf. But, if there was anything I want to say, I want to thank her for being such a great friend to my darling wife." He said before rubbing her back and even giving her a tissue. "And if you need anything, please, let me know." He said, looking at the much older man.

Blake Carter

Blake gave Ashlynn a sheepish smile, the best thank you he could muster for her motion of comfort. Next to speak was Luca, and his words brought a slight smile to Blake's face, even if it felt a bit forced. "It's good to see you too, Luca." He replied quietly, meeting his eyes for a brief moment. He couldn't help but recall how close they used to be- Luca was one of the few people who could appreciate his quieter tendancies. But now.....No one could mistake them for anything other than casual aquaintences. The same was true for pretty much everyone in this room. He let his hair fall over his eyes slightly as he stared at the floor. The longer he looked at his old friends, the harder it was to sit still and pretend everything was fine. 

Blake looked toward the door and smiled slightly when he recognized Kingsley. They had never been the closest friends of the group, but they still got along well enough that it shouldn't be awkward now. But it was. Blake's smile quickly turned into a frown when Kingsley's first words were less than friendly. To most people, his greeting would be normal, but considering he used to be the jokester of the group, it was more strange than anything. Blake bit his tongue, trying to hold back the urge to question him on why he was acting so stiff. Maybe this was just his way of grieving.....

Still, the longer he watched Kingsley interact with the others, the more it seemed like something else was wrong. The way he accepted Rose's teasing without his usually comeback, then refused Isabella's hug made a crease form between his eyebrows. What could change the friendliest person he knew into this?

"Hey Izzy." Blake said with a smile, moving over on the chair to give her room to sit. He didn't really expect her to want to sit next to him, but he didn't want to be rude either. He briefly noticed Kingsley's retreat to the corner, but he kept his mouth shut in the hopes that Kingsley would get out of this funk if he had a few minutes to himself. Probably just wishful thinking.

Blake flinched then listened intently when the door slammed, smiling slightly as the familiar footsteps thudded down the hall. His face lit up when Papa Smurf came in, greeting everyone with his typical surly comment. Blake wasn't sure what to do at Papa's attempt at a joke. It was always nice to see him drop his stern façade, but it was most likely an attempt to cover his sadness and comfort all of them. Blake's face fell at Papa Smurf's short speech, the way his voice broke when he spoke of Aaliyah. Leo had been the only real father figure Blake ever had and seeing him trying to be strong for them only made it worse. It's not hard to know that something is wrong when warriors cry. 

For a moment Blake managed to look up at Papa Smurf when he told them that they were like his children, but as soon as the man's eyes filled with tears, Blake looked away. The past few days when he had been grieving alone it just felt like a bad dream. Now, watching his best friends crying made it all too clear that this wasn't all in his head. He stood up quickly, wrapping his arms around himself as he moved to the window which put his back to everyone else. A tear traced down his cheek and he wiped it away quickly. But it was pointless- as if that first tear was the all-clear for the rest to follow. So he bowed his head and let them fall, hoping the others wouldn't notice that his shoulders were shaking from silenced sobs. A small part of his mind recognized that Elijah was crying, which only made it worse. Elijah was one of those strong people that always has a twinkle in their eye....not tears. The fact that he was allowing himself to cry in front of everyone just proved how broken he was. Then Linda.....She had never been his closest friend, but hearing her cry wasn't making him feel any better. He wanted to escape, to get somewhere far away and never look back. But somewhere deep inside, he knew that this was still his family and he couldn't walk away at a time like this. He cast a quick glance over his shoulder when he heard footsteps, then saw Elijah going to the kitchen. He turned back to the window, trying to compose himself as quickly as possible. Hopefully the others had been too busy hugging or something of that sort to realize that he hadn't just been enjoying the view.

image.gif

mood: really, really crappy

Kingsley was horrifically unnatural. Had something happened? Rosalind's little snark remark didn't even spark a reaction from him, and Ashlynn began growing concerned. Quietly, almost conspiratively, she leaned over to Rose and whispered, "Aliens. He must've been abducted by aliens. I heard they replace humans with their evil shapeshifting lizard brethren." She narrowed her eyes at him, and it seemed she wholly believed her theory. The Lizard even refused a hug from Izzy. Definitely an Alien.

She snapped out of her conspiracies as the sound of a door slamming sounded upstairs, and she jumped in her seat, never one for frights or sudden occurrences. Papa Smurf himself would stride into the room, along with adorable little baby Dion she'd only ever seen on a few occasions. Leo's presence brought a warmth to the room, and was strangely reminiscent of Aaliyah. A Chesterfield thing, maybe. She watched as he sat down in his old recliner. He spoke of Linda and Victor, laughed and smiled, though the happiness felt very... forced. The facade dropped as his gaze glided to the pictures on the wall, that she herself had been staring at.  The sight of his Daughter, smiling and beaming at the camera as it had clicked seem to trigger something, and Ashlynn shifted uncomfortably in her seat as he broke down in sobs. She wasn't sure what exactly she was to do.

"Make no regrets." 

Oh, if only he knew. She was too far in life for her to ever not regret anything.

Coming here was starting to feel like it would be on the list as well.

Elijah was crying now too, and Papa Smurf went over to give him a hug. It was odd, and rather terrifying to see Elijah cry, he'd always been one of the strongest people she knew. Then again, Papa Smurf topped the list. Linda was crying gently as well, and Victor was doing her best to comfort her. The more they spoke, however, the more she felt unbearingly overwhelmed. Her head began to tip downwards, her blonde hair forming a curtain around her face. She could feel the tears welling up, but she'd told herself she couldn't cry. She wasn't a crybaby. Ashlynn stood, reaching up with a slender hand to sweep away the tears in a careless motion, stuttered out, "I-I have to... um... make a phone call." She avoided the gazes of the others as she made her way out of the room, striding past the kitchen where she found Elijah sitting and all the way out the front door. She heard Tiana call out as to where she was going, which she ignored, god forbid. If they thought she was making a scene, god forbid that as well. Once outside, she leaned against the wall of the house, tears still streaming down her face as she pulled out her phone and dialed a number.

Her finger hovered over the call button as she hesitated, before it pressed the home button instead, and Ashlynn let out a sigh. She'd promised herself and Aaliyah she'd be strong for this. As hard as it would be, she would be strong. Now look at her now, hiding outside. Useless like she'd always been, and now she couldn't even look any of them in the eye. She let herself cry freely, not bothering to try and stifle the tears. This would be her one reprieve, her one moment of sheer relief before she would go back in there and act like a grown-up. Like she should be.

Seth was a bit overwhelmed by everything that was happening. It was difficult to process, even for someone used to processing complex literature. This was different; he had never been great at dealing with a lot of conflicting emotions. Nonetheless, he managed to return Blake's brief smile, feeling a bit better as one of the few he had been closer to joined the group. Seth felt a little bad for not keeping in touch; he was honestly awful at texting. Seth looked up as yet another ghost of friendships past floated into the room. He also noticed Kingsley seemed rather unlike the Kingsley he remembered; however, he didn't think much of it until everyone else started to comment. Actually, Seth just assumed he was grieving. What, had everyone been expecting him to crack jokes at a time like this? Seth was actually a bit grateful he hadn't. His attention turned to Rosalind when she called Kingsley out. Perhaps he should've expected a snarky comment from her sooner, but had the man really been so late? Seth wasn't sure, but he figured it was a very Rose thing to keep track of it. He was, indeed, curious about the drastic personality shift yet he wasn't as hung up on it as everyone else seemed to be. Honestly, it was a bit ridiculous to think that each of them would be exactly the same as they were five years ago. Seth watched as Kingsley separated himself from the group, and he could've sworn he heard someone say "alien." It was probably Ashlynn. 

When Mr. Chesterfield entered and took his place in the recliner, Seth simply stood there and listened to what the man said. He had cast a small smile toward Dion—although Seth wasn't overly fond of children, that boy was different in a good way. He was quiet, so Seth always had the notion he was thinking about some profound problem that the rest of them would ever know. It was a bit silly, perhaps, but when Aaliyah had joked about Dion being an old soul, he had to agree. Seth looked at the one they called Papa Smurf as he began to speak. Seth hadn't been fully on board with the nickname at first, thinking smurfs were a bit odd or even creepy, but over time he had gotten used to it as well. Mr. Chesterfield's voice was rich and hearty—much different from his own father's voice. Seth had always been frightened when Papa Smurf raised his voice at them for doing something, even though he knew Papa Smurf wouldn't do any harm. Actually, Seth was beginning to think that his solemn, quiet words were doing more harm than the shouting ever did. I love you like you like you're my own children. Seth dropped his gaze, lightly clenching his fists in his pockets and biting his lip as he examined the floor. Those words were meant to be helpful, but they made him feel rather awful. Make no regrets. Well, it was a bit too late for that one. He regretted not spending more time with Aaliyah, and he was pretty sure he'd regret it every day from now on.

Seth didn't look up when Elijah spoke, at least, not at first. When he talked about how Aaliyah didn't deserve to die, Seth bit his lip harder. He glanced up to see tears rolling down Elijah's cheeks. Elijah—who had intimidated Seth since day one despite the fact that everything he'd ever done proved he was anything but scary. That shocked him. When Elijah had gone to hug Mr. Chesterfield, Seth ducked out of the room. He didn't mean to be rude, but he needed to get away from all the emotions or else his own might be compromised too. "I'm going to see if Tiana needs any help in the kitchen," he muttered, not really to anyone in particular. He had entered the kitchen and cleared his throat, asking if there was anything he could do to help Tiana prepare dinner. When she said everything was already taken care of and that all he needed to do was eat a plate full of food, Seth had nodded but was also disappointed not to have a more helpful distraction. He looked up as Elijah entered the kitchen. Seth didn't speak to him; there wasn't anything to say. He was sorry—they all were. Aunt Ti filled a plate and handed it to Seth, and he took it. Then he looked over at Elijah and set the plate in front of him instead. When Tiana served up another plate, Seth finally sat down at the table and picked quietly at the food. Everything looked and smelled divine, but he found he had barely an appetite. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back