MA Style - Hunting Spider Style

Safim said:
I think mad in the sense of "angry at white wolf for doing a new edition".
Well, yes. I gathered. What I don't understand is why that would anger anyone -- and the "now I have to buy more books" argument is total fucking bullshit, so I won't even hear it.

I think the general argument...at least that I've heard, is that the previous edition was incomplete before they restarted things. The Lunars, Abyssals and Sidreals lacked their own caste books, for example. Then a new edition comes out, with some character types (Lunars in particular) not really finished, and then puts them further on the back burner, incomplete for either edition, and forcing people to wait longer. Now, admittedly, my own group for example has done a bit of bastardizing between 1st and 2nd...with an eye to the Storyteller's book for 2nd, and so have been managing to get by with more than just what has been fully published for 2nd ed...but having to BS things can be frustrating.

The lack of Castebooks, AFAIK, had nothing to do with 2E. They shitcanned them because they weren't selling well (enough).

Maybe. Such doesn't mean they weren't worthwhile...and that starting a run of products and not completing it leaves things feeling unfinished. So long as things are finished better this time about...in the long run people'll likely be happy. But waiting for things to be reprinted and actually have the books for all PC types reprinted can be a pain in the tail. The setting relies on the presence of all the actors within to be complete. Not having all such finished for either edition can be troublesome. Still...better to wait and hope things are done right than end up with heavilly slipshod rush jobs.

Maybe. Such doesn't mean they weren't worthwhile...and that starting a run of products and not completing it leaves things feeling unfinished.
Sorry, I don't buy that. White Wolf, despite everything all the players want to ascribe to them, is a business. Plain and simple. If they're not going to make a profit on a product, I can't really blame them for not putting something out.

They have staff to pay, costs to account for, and a schedule to (nominally) keep. Personally, I would rather do without some of the books and have them hire decent editors.

But to say they should put out a product when they know they won't make any money on it is just wishful thinking.

I agree that WW has to make money, but there are plenty of gaming businesses that give free online material, FASA with the 4th edition Shadowrun adventures for example.  The Caste books could have been put up for free online or they could have rolled all of the Caste books for each type into one larger book and concentrated more on the stuff that did sell.  

My biggest problem with the change was that WW did not finish discribing Creation.  A lesser problem is that I don't think that the 2ed rules changes actually improved anything, which has been a common problem with WW over the last two decades I've noticed.  After all, the new WoD isn't really all that better than the old one.  Yeah, they standardized stuff and made it easier to have a Werewolf and Vampire hybird game, but I think they lost a lot of the flavor of the game.  Hell, the only reason why I'm still buying WW products is that they have some of the best background writers in the business.

A lesser problem is that I don't think that the 2ed rules changes actually improved anything
I think you hold the minority opinion on that one.

The Caste books could have been put up for free online or they could have rolled all of the Caste books for each type into one larger book and concentrated more on the stuff that did sell.  
If they were already written, sure. But if they weren't? Then WW takes a bath on that, unless they find a writer who will write the book for free. If the material isn't already extant then they still have to pay someone to produce it.

If they would be willing to give me the guidelines, I would be willing to write it for free, if they ended up selling less than ten thousand units.  I know that my ideas are a bit strange sometimes, but they would definately have the right to edit it as they felt necessary.  It would be worth it to get my name on something published, and I'm sure more than a few of us would feel the same.

Even though I haven't gotten to play 2e, I'm changing my previous vote to 2e here.  It seems to have actually fixed combat overall, though this wouldn't stop me from coercing the White Wolf Staff into actually completing their Exalted book line.

I think I need to actually submit this thing...

It's a good Terrestrial MA Style.  Buy the way, has anyone gotten any of their submissions approved yet?  I know there has to be a backlog, but I was wondering if anything had gotten done recently.

To whoever is doing the submissions:

Don't bother approving my Heroic Exalt Character Setup, I'm not done with it yet.

It's a good Terrestrial MA Style.  Buy the way' date=' has anyone gotten any of their submissions approved yet?  I know there has to be a backlog, but I was wondering if anything had gotten done recently.[/quote']
2E submissions are automatically approved.  It takes a moderator to remove approved status from an item now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back