Lyara McCaffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathkitten

I am the Deathkitten! Fear me!
Deathkitten Deathkitten

anime_girl_with_blue_hair_042301__by_kaiserdeadpool-da3pau8.jpg

Lyara was bouncing on her heels a bit while she waited for the students to arrive. Every year this was fantastic. This waiting made her feel alive, practically glowing. She had the Arcane Mages to look after, and one in her class this year was a delinquent student. That'd be alright though. She'd get to meet her later, and she was sure she could turn her to good!

She was a goddess, and one of only two on staff. The other was quite a bit older than her, but friendly towards her nonetheless. Because of this, her skin was near perfect, hair shiny and long without a tangle in sight, and even her weight was at a beautiful, normal, fit level. She fiddled with the sign in her hands that she held in front of her as she waited for Ms. Astrella to finish talking. The mention of the OA made her a little... on edge, but it was a pretty typical speech otherwise. She had such a wonderful speaking voice and knew how to command a room so well.

As soon as the teachers were mentioned, she excitedly raised the sign over her head and bounced up and down as she waited for her students to gather. This was gonna be awesome. So awesome and cool and... and... gah she was getting ahead of herself! These little ones would be their future, though. How could she not get super excited?!

"Hi!" Lyara practically yelled out at her group over the sounds of the crowd, "It's such a pleasure to meet you all! As you can see on my little sign, my name is Lyara McCaffin, and I'm your new Arcane teacher! You guys can call me Lyara. No need to be super duper formal. After all, I want you guys to be comfortable with me, and feel like you can trust me enough to ask me questions." She turned on her heel and pointed forwards, "Alrighty then! Let's go check out the school grounds, and then I can show you our class, and then the dorms. Ask whatever questions you'd like along the way!"

Chiara had spent the off days after the test taking care of her sister and going to see her family in Italy. She hadn't seen Italy or her parents since she was taken. They where shocked to say the least, to one day have there long lost daughter return, in a wheel chair with a girl she called her sister though once they heard the story they knew there daughter had done the right thing. Soon her and Ariella came back to the school.

The wait for the buses was long and both girls had ignored the news report all together before having gotten on the buses and headed up. Staying silent through orientation they were soon notified to find the teacher with there name on the teaches board and go to them. The first thing Chiara noticed was they were splitting her and Ariella up. Had they not read the reports?! seen the warnings about separating Ariella from Chiara?!?! they were insane if they thought this was gonna go well in any way but Chiara knew they would not make an exception so she sighed and looked to Ariella. "Don't worry ok your gonna be alright. Remember im in here ok." She said to Ariella wile pointing to Ariella's temple before kissing her forehead then heading off to join her group.

When she got to her teacher she couldn't help but stare in awe at her utter beauty. How perfect her face looked, how perfect her hair looked, How perfect her body was. It was all just amazing the looks of her teacher that it brought a faint blush to her cheeks as she looked away from her teacher hopping not to catch her attention which was hard considering Chiara was the first student to her teacher and the only one in a wheel chair which just made her even more noticeable.

After having taken time from the test and contemplating the decision of the school (as well as getting verbally railed by his old Headmistress, who seemed quite upset he was so hung up over nearly killing someone to take out a villain), he was back here. Fay had taken the free time of those two months to study Astrella's Boarding School for the powered and those whose records of working there were made known. He found out what he could (which was little) on the courses and materials (which was even less), packed his things from his ex-Headmistress's home (because like hell was he going to live with his parents - good thing she was able to legally adopt him), and found his way here.

What he was presented with were a plethora of teachers, but the instructor for the Arcane magick group... Unsettled him. She was pretty. Immaculate. Almost too much so. Even the elemental manipulation teacher Lu-Dao had imperfections in comparison, as well as Nanami Shirayuki and even Lady Astrella. There was something about her... Like she didn't exactly fit somehow. As if she was placing herself as a piece of the puzzle, but she was more apt to fit as the face of the puzzle rather than the supporting ones.

"Why not find out for yourself?" came the voice inside his mind again.

That was a stupid idea. Incredibly stupid. Last thing he needed to do was garner extra attention from the teacher. However, as stupid as the idea was, it was tempting. It was as if something was demanding him to do so - but how to cover it up? Of course, he couldn't just step up and ask why she seemed so out of place. Such a thing would likely be rude, and he wasn't going to roll dice unless they were loaded, as any mage should consider. Targeting her for a ranged touch spell like touching her with arcane energy on the hand was absolutely out of the question: Anyone touched by arcane magick specifically can trace it back if they were skilled, and this was his instructor. Invoking higher magicks took too much time and they were likely to move along before he could complete it, and even if he didn't do anything, that was just as suspect as laying out a circle and chanting.

So why not an Area of Effect? Touch everything and narrow down the anomaly. Of course, it was only a brief window - the spell was a quick pulse with the most trace amounts of mana used, and it allowed only a quarter of a second for a user of it to discern the kinds of people around them. It didn't lend its hand to ascertain much, either - basically if they were alive or dead, and what kind of alive and dead they were in the most general of sense aside from 'This is(n't) dead.' He couldn't use the staff, either - using a focus for this and tripping up would likely give away he was using it since a focus is likely to react to the magickal energies being poured into it.

This was going to be quick, dirty, and hopefully not get him slammed through a building. After all, anyone could take it as an insult, and since it was going to be quick and dirty, it was going to suck.

It was going to suck because dirty and quick magick used up a lot of mana.

He'd time it with his normal breathing pattern. No excess movements or gestures. He'd breathe it out. Fay allowed his body to cue him into its rhythm as he paced forward towards the arcane instructor, keeping his hood where it was and never adjusting unless the wind blew to skew something - a natural reaction most usually. Breathe in, and out, and in, and.... release. The pulse was slow with his change of plans at the last moment since the wind had blown. He'd let it flow with the wind to give the illusion it was coming from elsewhere as he set it to cast several feet to his right - past the left of the teacher and sweep its way in. To his surprise, as it swept over him, it felt as if someone had simply cast a wind ritual spell - low level, as if to brush up on the fundamentals or warm up to make it easier to cast something of much higher tier.

What he found was... Interesting. The teacher, Lu-Dao, didn't seem to have any control over elemental manipulation. He was instructing, but why an elemental class? Nanami had a divine aura as if protected, but she didn't seem as if she was religious. More interesting, though, was the instructor: she didn't register anywhere near a normal person. She seemed more apt to fill both the Divine teacher role and the Arcane teacher role. What was going on with her? Thankfully he was able to somewhat squint at the teacher since his face was veiled by the hood of his cloak, but he didn't dare do much more than that. If she was more inquisitive than skilled, it was likely that she reached out the check the origin of the spell and peg who cast it, and even if it was harmless, in some mage circles, it was rude enough to demand and initiate a duel of Honor - regardless of the other person's opinion about it.

Yeah, mages had their own code of honor. Who would have figured? And most likely, he was about to pay the price for his curiosity - especially if he was right about what he thought she was. Of course, it was quick and dirty, so like he figured before, she would have just traced it back to him even if the cast didn't have build-up, was instant, and off from his central position.

This might hurt.

Last edited:
(( Katniss_IsMyRp Katniss_IsMyRp is going to be back after a while due to circumstances irl. We're gonna skip her for now. Thank you guys for being patient!))

Last edited:
Lyara was certainly amused at the reactions she was getting. It wasn't every day that she got to surprise all new students with... herself? Heh. That was a weird way of looking at it. Still, she was taking the attention in stride. The first girl up, one who was in a wheelchair, was not the best at avoiding the reflex to stare. No questions though, which was actually pretty surprising.

Despite getting an AOE prod, she didn't pay it much mind. Yet, that was. No need to blurt out things in a crowd, especially when the crowd required you to shout! Despite having pointed forwards dramatically, Lyara actually turned slightly and headed to the theatre, which was on the Southwest side of campus.

DGpByY4XkAAEwHC.jpg
As the small group diverged from the rest of the student populous and followed a nicely paved path through a thinner part of the forest, the teacher explained, "I decided to show you guys our theatre first. It's called the Oscalia-Aphera Theatre, named after a family you may well recognize." A student near the back of the group interjected with a raised, questioning hand.

"You don't recognize the name?" Lyara queried, and the girl nodded, "Ah. Well then. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, allow me to explain." By this time, they were actually at the impressive building, and she walked inside, holding the door open for the kids. She walked up onto the stage and sat with her legs dangling off the edge, "Sit in the front row or two please, so it's easiest to talk to you guys."

"As you can see, this theatre is huge, and as its size and general opulence would suggest, it is in fact fully equipped," she began, crossing her legs comfortably, "Ten years ago, when the OA attack happened, the Oscalia and Aphera families were some of the first on the scene. A great many of them lost their lives that day, and so in the memory of those who weren't so fortunate in the fight, the school dedicated this building to them. It's to acknowledge and honor their sacrifice... Honestly, it changed the two families forever. After the event, many quit being Superheroes. Those that do still fight, they do so with more purpose now. It created a bit of a rift in the family. I'm kind of surprised that some people hadn't heard about it... though you guys were anywhere from 6 all the way down to 3 years old when the attack happened. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised."

She chuckled a little sadly, then sighed and smiled, opening her arms to the large building, "The nice thing about having a place like this on campus is that we have a wonderful Theatre Club! They are always looking for new people, and they are super welcoming. They invite the local community to see the plays that they put on. It's a great extra-curricular that I'd really recommend looking into if it interests you."

Lyara stood up, hands resting on her hips, reminding those who cared to look, inadvertently, that she was wearing a rather tight-fitting dress on her model-esque form. "Now then. Let me tell you a little about myself," she said loudly, letting her voice carry, "My name is Lyara McCaffin, as I mentioned when you guys all lined up. I'm 32 years of age, and not very fond of formalities... That's why, honestly I'd just prefer if you guys call me by my first name. Ms. McCaffin not only sounds weird, it makes me uncomfortable. As for some other things..."

She snapped her fingers, and was suddenly no longer on stage. Instead, she was just a few feet from Fay. Lyara poked the hood of his jacket back, "I am what is considered a deity." She turned, walking up and down the front of the theatre a bit, "A goddess. Whatever the proper, political term is... or something. I know. Shocked me too. I didn't know about that little tidbit until I was 12. This puts some people on edge, and makes others extremely curious. I am of only two deity teachers on campus. The other one teaches a class of deities and demi-deities. He's like... way way older than I am though. I look like an infant to other gods/goddesses. It's really weird."

Lyara turned again to Fay, talking still to the group though she looked directly at him, "That is why I look the way I do, why I feel the way I do, and so forth. In the future, if you want to ask something, don't be afraid to just ask it. It is a far better approach than staring or... otherwise." She suddenly clapped, appearing back on stage, "So! Questions? Comments? Concerns? About anything, really. If not, we'll head on to the Observatory, the other really fun, non-curricular place on campus."

(( Osuka Osuka Daniel Reaving Daniel Reaving ))

Chiara kept silent as the teacher introduced themselves before she gestured them onward. Letting out a small sigh Chiara then proceeded after her, her wheelchair humming quietly as she followed in the group. As they entered the Auditorium Chiara immediately looked around. 'This place is amazing.' She thought softly as she followed closely to the teacher. as she directed them to sit in the front two rows Chiara moved to the end of the first row and stopped there for now as she thought of the name. "Isnt that the names of the families in the OA attack?" She asked quietly to herself before hearing the teacher explain it then after a minuet she stood to semi show off her body which only made Chiara glance away so she didn't stare. Then suddenly there teacher seemed to teleport in front of a boy not to far away which startled Chiara. "Shes a god?" Chiara asked herself in awe as she watched the teacher flick the boys hood back and speak of herself. Hearing her say she didn't like formalities made Chiara frown. "That's gonna be hard. Lyara..." She said all to herself as the teacher asked for questions or comments.

Chiara had none till suddenly she felt a small lurch in her wheelchair. Suddenly she looked down as her expression grew stressed.
"Please tell me you didn't just die." She mumbled as she pushed the button to make her wheelchair move forward but it didn't move an inch making Chiara frown. Hanging her head in a small defeat Chiara slowly raised her hand up. "M-ms. Mc-Lyara.... M-my wheelchair isnt working." She informed her, embarrassment flooding her tone. This was so embarrassing! the first day and Chiara already had to ask for help concerning movement. Her wheelchair wasn't designed to be propelled by Chiara pushing its wheels so if it was dead the only way for her to move was for someone to help push her along. God this was so embarrassing, to have to already ask the teacher for help. she almost couldn't bear the humiliation.

Last edited:
These were the first steps.

The steps that, of course, would lead him to a nice, big brick wall that would be nice enough to catch him once the deity blew him through it. He could feel it. Or maybe it was paranoia? It was obvious to him that even the teacher would catch the AoE that he cast - why the hell did he do that? Fay's left hand raised to pinch the bridge of his nose, sighing internally at the reality that was the consequences of doing so catching up to his tiny, meager frame. Of course, she'd probably not do it in front of other students as they walked towards... Well, wherever she was leading them, but she probably had an office with a wall that was more than nice enough to be demolished with his tiny little frame.

"Kid, you are so getting wrecked," came a voice with a chuckle beneath it. "But hey! You're learning how to be the big kid on campus! If a TEACHER sees you as enough of a badass to warrant attention - and maybe help from the wall you keep talking about, then your place as the resident tough-mage is secure!"

"You're an idiot," he muttered to the voice so quietly that it was nearly inaudible to anyone around him. From that point, the talking was all internal as he pulled his hood forth ever so slightly more so his face would be entirely obscured from anyone who was to look at him. "Why would you encourage me to do that?"

Finally, they had all come to their destination: The... Theater? A frown accompanied a furrowing of his brow as he contemplated the location. The building that had been named after the first two families on-scene when the Occard Alliance started their attack. Maybe she was going to make a show of it? Or maybe she was nice enough to just low-key scold him in front of the other students?

"My vote is that you're getting sent through the air." The voice piped up.

"Of course you would," he responded mentally. "Of course you would vote on me getting slammed around. Why, again?"

"Social status."

"You're insane."

With the internal dialogue done at Lyara's instruction, Fay found himself filing in and seating himself among the rest of the students. Maybe, just MAYBE this would stop the teacher from using magick to pick him up and put him down in a not-so-gentle manner. Her self-introduction suddenly put him on edge as the instructor had suddenly teleported forth - he could even feel the mana release - and popped up directly in front of him.

Four spells went off immediately, as if reflex rather than her appearance. They were quick-fire - almost fast as lightning. The first was a physical reinforcement, which coated his internals in mana - if she was going to do something painful, he was going to make it hard to get more than an "ouch" out of him, the second a mana-lock which forced his body to draw only on the arcane energies outside of himself if she were to attempt siphoning, ensuring that she wouldn't be able to drain the pool of magick within himself. The third was a coating ward outside of his body that hovered just a millimeter over his skin underneath the cloak, which left a mental ward to make it somewhat harder, at least, for another mage or a psychic to disrupt his concentration.

But none of that came. He had fired off four buffs within a single second from a panic response just to hear her.... Mock him? Well, at least she was giving him answers while she was doing so.

"Got any spells to heal that sick burn she just low-key roasted you with?"

A groan left his lips quietly as she continued her introduction and what she was uncomfortable with. Apparently, a deity who was an instructor wasn't comfortable with being given scholarly respect - and thankfully he had the ward up still so he could block that though from being heard by her or... Well, whoever else was dumb enough to poke and prod like he was. One of his thin hands reached up to pull the hood back in place once she asked about questions and the like.

For now, he'd simply keep quiet. No reason to draw any more attention to himself.

Or raise the chance of eating drywall.

But, of course, that wasn't going to happen. He could hear a small clicking sound to his right, and when he noticed that it was due to a girl's chair, he wasn't able to just sit and let it stay dead, but of course, he couldn't try to bring attention to himself. Another stealthy spell was needed, even if the Goddess could pick up on it. Hoepfully she would have gotten the cue by how he was going to do this that there wasn't any need to bring attention to it.

So he had to do this the hard way. Some elemental shifts through the seats behind him on the ground, a little bit of finagling to raise the tail of the strip of metal he made from the floor to contact the battery compartment later, and he was making his quiet, internal spell. It was a build-up of static electricity that he was forming within his jacket, and considering the coating of mana around his body was making it a bit easier to gather it all, it wasn't going to take long before the butt end of the staff he carried around with him that was in contact with the strip he made began pushing electricity through the strip.

The strip itself was the most work, having had to direct the arcane energies he created behind him and around to under the wheelchair and change it to copper. It was a principle of Alchemy to change the structure of a substance to match it to another material's molecular structure, and copper just so happened to be one of the more difficult ones to make, but having taken his time with it, he was sure there were no shorts in the thin bit of a strip he had made.

The other end of this strip had attached itself to the girl's ( Daniel Reaving Daniel Reaving ) wheelchair at the battery compartment, as stated before, allowing electricity to flow into the battery and recharge it without making Fay suspicious to the rest of the class. After a few seconds, it should have been apparent that the electric wheelchair would come to life again at full charge, and the traces of what could have made Fay the culprit disappeared entirely.

He didn't want attention. That much was for sure.

He also, however, didn't want the handicapped student be unable to get around. If you had the power to do what he had done and didn't use it, then you were somewhat like those who had power and used it for the wrong thing.

Either way, that should have been enough to solve the issue of the girl's wheelchair not working, and Fay wasn't going to say a word about it. He was just as happy to think that someone believed it was a miracle done by the teacher than him, since he already brought attention to himself.

Last edited:
Tristan followed quietly along with the group, keeping more or less to the fringes, lest he actually be expected to interact with his new classmates. No, that wouldn't do, especially since his body had left his mind behind a ways back. The contents of the news reel played and replayed over again in his mind. He felt his brow furrow as his thoughts wandered whither they willed, and his arms wound ever more tightly across his chest. In a moment of profound weakness, he thought about his mother. Well, not his real mother. The woman who'd raised him. Tristan wondered if she'd kept up the lotus tree they'd planted in the yard. And he wondered if she missed him. The thought left him wistful. How foolish. Too preoccupied with his own brooding to notice the subtle magics going on around him, Tristan didn't give the wheel chair's fate a second thought.

"Can we move on?" His voice was frank, with the slightest tinge of impatience, coloring his intentions with a broad brush stroke. After some quick introspection, Tristan concluded that he was being somewhat harsh, and perhaps a little unfair. This deity, as she'd identified herself, didn't seem so bad. At the very least, he'd had worse first days. All things considered: so far, so good. He didn't want to get ahead of himself though. There was still time for someone, or something, though the former somehow seemed infinitely more likely, to muck it all up. For all his luck, that someone was probably standing next to him right now. Gods, he wished he was clairvoyant. Then he'd know which people to avoid before they had the chance to tick him off.

"The observatory's next, right?" He asked, if only to humor the teacher's plea for interaction. He'd dialed back the sass this time, and even smiled with his eyes. But not his mouth. He wasn't back-pedaling that hard just yet. He'd still very much like to move on. Tristan, after all, wasn't theatrical by nature, so this place didn't exactly tickle his fancy.

This kid was really amusing. Very talented, that much was obvious. From what she had in her student files, it definitely seemed like she would want to invest some time talking to his guardian and former headmistress. It'd be good to get someone else's perspective on such an intelligent and talented, but tactless kid.

When she had asked for questions, she had expected more of a response... Darn. Did she put them on edge with that little display? Maybe she was the tactless one. One child finally spoke up, but not for a question. Instead, this young girl's wheelchair wasn't functioning. Before she had thought through in what way she wanted to remedy the problem, one of the other kids was on it, the same one that had done the wards and tried to spy on her a bit. How funny and sweet it was that he wanted to be so secretive about it. Instead of blowing his cover, she clasped her hands in front of her as she waited for him to finish. She wanted to see how sneaky he could be, and how observant this girl was. She was at a distinct disadvantage, being in a wheelchair. Lyara made a mental note that movement spells would be a must for her, so she wouldn't need rescued in a dangerous situation. If she were a tech student, it'd hardly matter, but with magic... often it was the body of a mage that was the weakest element, the energies taking a toll on them. That didn't need complicated by lack of mobility. She'd be a sitting duck in a fight.

Whilst the boy was fixing her chair, her attention was diverted to another one, a rather impatient one at that. "Not one for the stage?" she mused at the outspoken boy, looking back at the now completed spell for the wheelchair. She motioned to the girl instead of answering him immediately, "Now that she can move her chair again, we can move on. You should try to be more observant. A head in the clouds has its place in creativity, but when it bleeds into a tour and other explanation... that isn't as positive."

1517100218976.pngShe disappeared again and reappeared with a pop near the exit, "Come along then. To the Observatory. As he said, it is next." Once the group made their way to her and out of the building, she started walking further northwest from where they were. The trees were denser, though the path was still easily visible.

"The Keaton Observatory is another wonderful building on campus," she explained as she walked along, smiling again, "It's located on the far Western edge of campus, so it's a bit of a walk from everything else. It's a wonderful place for space enthusiasts to relax and learn, as brochures or whathaveyou will explain. It doesn't have much function for Superhero training, but is invaluable nonetheless. Like the theater, you all might recognize the name. The building was donated to the school two years ago by the Keaton family. They are longstanding in the Superhero community as expert healers and rescue personnel. They don't get the same recognition as the Superheroes that punch their way to victory, but they're obviously incredibly invaluable. They have made so many horrible situations better because they've gotten the innocents out."

Getting to the building, she opened the door and smiled a bit as she went inside, holding the door open for the others, "Apparently the Keatons really enjoy astronomy, so they wanted to try to create a bit of love for the stars. They didn't really explain why they donated this building, but I personally imagine that it has to do with Rosemary Keaton's divining abilities. Since her abilities have to do so much with stellar bodies, I think that really fueled their interest in it as a family."

(( Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Osuka Osuka Daniel Reaving Daniel Reaving ))

The next post will go up, barring any unforeseen events, Saturday, 2/3/2018. Please try to post before then!

"You know, if you wanted to make it look like a random happening not associated with yourself, you could'a-"

"I know, darnit," Fay snapped back in his head. "I know. I didn't have the time for it, though."

"You had plenty of time, dork."

True as it was that Fay could have masked it more effectively, the fact of the matter was that it was done already and he wasn't able to just rewind time to try again. There were methods he could have used to divert attention and then do it faster, but aside from wanting to hurry up and fix a problem, this was a deity he would have been attempting to fool here. As incredibly clever as he was, it wasn't likely to pass under her nose so easily. He knew she noticed it - her sudden shift in attention had given him the cue that, even passively, had been paying attention. Maybe he should've tried to mask it more thoroughly anyway? But with running on internal reserves of mana until the wards ran dry, it wasn't the greatest idea. Mages needed to be prepared, and even if they were in these grounds with instructors, the simulation itself showed that anything could happen - that even with everything done right, it could all still go to hell in a handbasket cuffed to the wrist of a Balrog.

Besides, as good as he was for his age, snapcasting was his forte - drawn out spells were a bit different.

Once the other student had spoken up, as per his cue that the teacher had been paying attention, Fay was more than glad that the Deity's attention was diverted and took it as a moment to recap his mana reserves: The slip-up he had with the wards he cast was that the internal reserve lock wasn't cast last. It forced his fourth ward to be pulled from his internal reserves, and that one itself took a bit considering it had to be loaded so that he wouldn't have to concentrate in order to keep it going for a while, which made him feel as if he dipped into roughly a fourth of the arcane energy that he had. The set of spells he used to just recharge the wheelchair was a lot to demand considering it was literally changing molecular structures in order to pass electricity, and the electricity the wheelchair required was.... A lot. A frown was teasing to bend his lips as he felt himself wanting to react to the fact - being down to just a fifth of his reserves, which, if something happened, only gave him enough to slam out a few quick-fire spells or a bubble before beating feet the opposite direction until the wards wore off. If he wanted to be more effective, he'd have to practice his reflexive wards more intensely as well as expanding his mana capacity. The latter could be dangerous, but there were very few options that he had learned it could be done.

Once he felt the Deity's magick flare - it was as if just for a nanosecond, his head lifted to look towards the exit before following the rest out, keeping to the back of the group. Lyara's earlier display with his hood made him somewhat of a benchmark, most likely, and with hormones raging mixed with being in just about the most prestigious school one could get into, there were plenty of people who wanted to prove they were better than anyone else, so for now, he was looking to be forgotten as quickly as possible. Stay out of sight, keep quiet, and maybe - JUST MAYBE - the other students would even forget it happened.

"I mean, good luck," came the voice again. "you made a display, and it's not likely people will forget what they felt. You should be proud."

"Oh shut up. The less resistance there is, the less distractions I have, and the less attention I garner, the more I can dedicate to studies. If you're proud of being distracted by anything but that, then you've got some serious problems when it comes down to the wire."

Sudo
them
Welcome to the school. Just a friendly hello. :angel:
them
I'm messaging a whole bunch of new students to say hi while you guys are on your tour.
(( Osuka Osuka ))

A flinch.

What was cast? There were no traces of mana being expelled, but he felt something - as if something had rattled against his side. Immediately, Fay was put on edge, but he kept his wits about him. A slight gripping of his staff. The workings of a ward going through his mind, readying the mana to be expelled but not yet moving it. Looking around to find spots for cover. Was someone trying to discern what he had on him? They had to be good - too good - to get it past a deity....

But that didn't make sense. It could have been that it was part of the flora slipping against his jacket - but that didn't make sense by how it felt either. And then there was another, almost like an angry Villaidem wasp, buzz in his pocket. This couldn't just be coincidental. Something had slipped into his pocket and had been activated somehow. He didn't know how - his mental wards would have warned him of someone approaching that he wasn't already aware of, like a sixth sense or some kind of intuition. From where and how far away wasn't something he could discern with it, but...

But there was only one way to find out.

Slowly, Fay's right hand slipped to his side and into the pocket of his jeans beneath the cloak to find something hard and rectangular. It felt like... Plastic? The back side of it was textured in a way he couldn't describe, but with pulling it out and bringing it to his attention....

It looked like a Phone that a lot of people in the school had been using. Fay's brow furrowed as he touched the alert that was displayed with the name "Sudo," and a white flash of light followed by text enveloped in blue revealed a message. Who was this "Sudo?" Was it a pen-name? Maybe their real name? How did they know him? Did someone's name just display itself, or was there a code used before changing it to something else?

Tapping the bar that instructed him to enter a message, he was met with a set of letters and symbols, and he proceeded, slowly, to type his response.

Sudo
them
them
I'm messaging a whole bunch of new students to say hi while you guys are on your tour.
me
...Who... Who are you?

Ah yes, there was that wit he was looking for. He felt like an idiot for asking - the device obviously said this was by someone named "Sudo," whatever that meant. It was another minute, though, before a more astonishing and absolutely outlandish, and might he say quite genius, question came to mind:

Sudo
them
them
me
...Who... Who are you?
me
...When did I get a phone, actually?

An observatory. Great. Tristan was trying to give this place the benefit of the doubt - that he hadn't just been carted off to some school to save his parents' the burden of his presence - but he couldn't help the cynic in him scoffing at the grandiosity of it all. His surrogate family were fans of the pomp and elegance of high society, and frequently subjected him to it, as well. As a result, Tristan had learned to grind his teeth at any hint of decadence.

Looking around at his classmates, as he was oft known to do, Tristan caught sight of one of them pull out a phone and text. In the middle of their tour. Tristan, for his part, respected their guide and her time, and while he may not have been enthralled by what she had to show him, at least he had the common decency to pay attention - or at least pretend to. By contrast, the other boy's seemingly blatant disregard for the effect his own rudeness might have had left a sour taste in Tristan's mouth. He scoffed, rolled his eyes, and did his best to put the boy out of his mind. Obviously he wasn't serious about what they were being groomed for. With any luck, kids like him would be weeded out before the month was out.

"Teacher," Tristan spoke up to avoid dwelling on his simmering internal irritation, but by some mental shortage had also completely forgotten the name of the woman leading the tour. "What kind of divination are you talking about?" Despite his impressive, albeit adoptive, parentage, Tristan's breadth of knowledge regarding the world of magic was alarmingly slim. But that was what school was for, right?

Chiara was shocked to say the least a her wheelchair suddenly started back up. Its batteries refilling quickly so she could use it again. Almost instantly she knew one of the other kids or the teacher had done it. None the less she was thankful and sent a thankful smile through the crowd so whoever helped her would see. As a kid rather rudely insisted they moved on the teacher did as requested. Chiara followed more towards the back of the group as they left the theater and started across campus for the observatory. On the way there Chiara kept a close eye on the battery levels for fear it would die again and no one would notice so she would just be left there till found by someone. Luckily The chair worked fine the hole way there and into the observatory. Chiara happily looked around the insides of the observatory, fixing her glasses here and there as she stuck with the group. Though when they got o the telescope she broke off and went to it. "The intricacy" she mumbled as she expertly looked over it. wanting to take it apart and put it back together.

"Ah apologies," she said, smiling as she ignored the phone being taken out and general confusion on the child's face who had taken it out. The firm-worded boy had spoken again, "Sorry I hadn't described further. The are somewhat known for their divining. It's how they are so successful at rescuing people."

Lyara leaned against the wall just in the entrance to the observatory, "We're very fortunate to have such amenities. They're very kind with their donations. Anyways though, the matriarch of the family, Rosemary, she's one of the best divination experts in the world. They can tell, at least to a certain degree, what will happen in the future. This is a short term thing, mind you, so in most situations they can't tell when the next attack might happen a week in advance... but when they're on scene, they can tell where survivors are. They can tell survival chance. Stuff like that. In combat they're intimidating as well. Some of them are very good at predicting movements, and so they fight using that knowledge."

"The reason I explain it as the whole stellar bodies thing is because of the way her abilities manifest," she continued, smiling all the while as she thought about the people who she had worked with in the past, "When she is seriously divining things, a sort of... transparent bubble appears around her that looks like it has a map of the stars. As she and others of her family have explained, it doesn't look like that to them. They can read it as though it were a screen. When they were first shown pictures of how it looked to others they seemed very confused. They had never seen it before, of course. Even when looking at one another they could only see the 'screen' as they described it. I imagine that it was so strange for them, like how a picture of the back of your head is a little strange to you since you can't see it unless you use two mirrors."

She then got a notification on her watched, which she glanced at with a frown. All the staff knew they were busy right now... What could it...

Oh. Her brow furrowed and she sighed, "I'm sorry kids. I'm going to end up having to wrap this up sooner than I would have liked. Did you all hear the news this morning? Well... one of the other teachers got called away to help with the investigation. We want to make sure whether or not the OA is involved before the media completely runs away with it. I imagine that they're pretty worried that other staff might get called away, so they're going to have a meeting after everyone is done with the tour. I don't want to end up being the last one there because I got carried away."

She moved back out of the observatory and waited until everyone followed, "Again. I'm sorry you guys. I promise we're going to explore later. For now, I'll pop by the class so you guys know where it is, then show you the dorms." Lyara continued on, going back to the main building of the school before she headed in through a side door. This was where the majority of the hustle and bustle still was.

A moment later, and she was motioning to their classroom door, "Luckily, we're on the first floor. The elevator is a little bit of a pain in the butt, so it's probably for the best. The teachers get to decorate their own classrooms, since we tend to have the same room every year. It's pretty sweet. Mine isn't as fancy as some others, that's for sure, but I still like it. But... so as to get you guys on your way so you can get situated and so us teachers can try to manage our own situation. A fact of the job, I'm afraid. We take possible OA situations very seriously... Especially since it's almost the anniversary."

She motioned for them to follow further, heading past the courtyard, motioning to it for a moment, "This is a pretty neat place that students like to hang out. It's right outside of your dorms, so it's pretty easy for everyone to access. There's some benches, some trees, and of course, the koi pond. There's a little bin of food next to the pond, and they refill it every day so that the fish get the right amount of food and nothing more. It's pretty neat. Personally I like to sit here, so if you find me out here reading a book or something, then don't be surprised." She chuckled, still being open but very eager to get the whole thing over with now so she could go figure out what had happened that they had to send the other teacher off.

Last stop. She walked into the dorms finally, opening the door and holding it for the others. Lyara walked into the common area, which had a whole bunch of comfy chairs and tables, as well as televisions that were hooked up to gaming stations. Adria walked past the other way, and she waved slightly, "Well then. Looks like we aren't the first. Good good. Feel free to chat to the others here. There should be some lists on the table of whose room is where if you forgot or lost your paper. They're alphabetic by last name. Have fun! Chat with people! I'll make sure to be available later on to anyone who wants to talk to me!"

She waited until they'd had a moment to ask questions before popping off to go see what in the world was going on today.

Common Area

Please take this link to the next area! You guys are the second ones, so it might be a little lonely until others join you. Please try to interact with each other and enjoy! (You'll get text messages later, for those of you who got texted. :P )

Fay - Dorm 105
Tristan - Dorm 108
Chiara - Dorm 106

Osuka Osuka Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Daniel Reaving Daniel Reaving

Divination was something Fay was already confidently knowledgeable in, though he wouldn't say practically fluent. Physical displays were different between the user and the observer(s), so what was being said, as fantastic as it was, wasn't catching his attention as much as the newly acquired artifact in his pocket. Who would have slipped him a phone - a really expensive-looking phone at that? He didn't have friends here, and the headmistress would have just used magick to communicate with him, so it wasn't either of those options. It had to be outside influences, but being in such a new location meant he had absolutely no idea who it could have been. He hadn't picked up any sense of magickal energies at work during his time here except for what he had actually seen, so it wasn't while he was at the school, on the bus here, or even getting to the bus stop.

So it had to be while he was with his step-mother.

Before he could make heads or tails of anything else being said, however, he found himself having followed the crowd to the dormitory commons area, and the tour was basically over. The instructor, Professor McCaffin, was saying something about another teacher having need to part from the school for work, and then was getting ready to leave. That in itself was frustrating considering he had questions. Fay already knew that he wasn't going to be any match for a deity, but he didn't buy the idea that just because she was a deity, she could pick up everything that he had done. He had been using high-level warding spells to mask his intentions as well as going about it in an indirect manner. He was able to fool his own headmistress-now-stepmother long before she had adopted him when she would patrol the Academy's halls just so he could slip into the library during closed hours. She had been genuinely surprised that he was able to get past her heightened magickal senses. The tests he had passed to put him in advanced, accelerated classes were conducted by the Board that had overseen the country's dedicated mage schools, and he passed those with flying colors. So why was she the exception?

"Ask, idiot," came the voice, this time more flat. "You won't find anything out just by sitting on your hands. Get 'em dirty."

"Yeah, lemme just ask the mage goddess why I can't trick her," he mentally retorted. "That definitely won't slam me into the delinquent program. I already pulled one offense."

"I mean, you could ask now cuz she's about to leave, or you can just wait until however long it takes her to get back. Your choice."

As much as he didn't want to admit it, the being was right. Fay had to ask, but he didn't have to have immediate answers. Instead, he let out a breath, straightened his cloak, pulled his hood forward as far as it would, and made his way over to the woman. His every step was a quiet click, as if his boots had reinforced heels and soles, staff clinking with every time the butt-end struck the floor until he made his way to the woman, a mere four feet away.

And he'd speak for the first time.

"P-professor McCaffin," he started, his voice quiet and gentle, almost sweet to the ears in its near-soprano pitch. "Might I uh.. Bother you after your meeting? I have questions, but I'd rather not take up your time since you have more important matters..."

He knew how his voice sounded. Usually, people would check him over again just to see if they missed anything that might have hinted him as a girl. It was somewhat frustrating, but he had gotten used to it over time - nearly to the point where he didn't notice anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back