Lunar Smugglers pre shogunate

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
Let me know what you guys think of this.  I have just finished my first game with this storyline.  It is based on 4 lunars (1 no moon, 1 full moon and 2 changing moons, pretty standard) that man a First Age swift ship.  This takes place right after the contagion and during the houses of the Realm trying to stake ground for themselves and conquer Creation once again.  These 4 Lunars are the only Lunars who are not taken in by the Wyld ( in this story ) and they have been approached by a Gold Faction Siderial to go after Autochthon's Eye.  The Gold Faction want these Lunars to capture the eye so that they may release the Solars from their prison and take back Creation.  They have a main antagonist that is a Chimarae who works for House Peleps.  His job is to go after the Eye as well and he mans the large First Age warship.

The stuff in the middle will be mostly a wild goose chase to find where the eye is which, of course, has already been determined by me.  Most of the middle ground will be chances to gain renown with small plot points dropped in here and there.

The final of this, which is subject to change, is that both parties reach the Eye on the back of a behemoth turtle that looks like an island.  The two parties fight over it but neither get it as it winds up being swallowed by the turtle.  At the moment that it is swallowed the Scarlet Empress activates the Solar's manse on the blessed isle.

Please let me know what you think and what other ideas you may have for this story line.

If it's gonna take place right as the Empress take the manse, then don't forget the immense Fair Folk incursion that happens at that time as well. How and why does the Chimera work for House Peleps? Be careful with the predestination of what happens with the eye on the turtle, you don't want to take too much control of the action away from the players.

The time your stating, the modern houses of the Realm don't exist yet. Not a one of them, though one or two founders might, since a few are named after husbands or consorts of the Empress. Tepet was a consort, for example, however not until Realm year 362, so he may not have been born yet himself. The Realm does not exist yet. House Peleps doesn't exist certainly. The Shogunate has essentially collapsed unded the onslaught of the Fair Folk in the wake of the Contagion, though they didn't really reach the Blessed Isle. Some forces are still holding on, like the 7th Legion, the Seven Tigers, and some other surviving forces. 9/10 people from a few years before are dead from the Contagion, and more have died from the invasion in the wake of such a disaster. The Shogun is likely dead, or at least disappeared. Communication has heavilly broken down due to massive casualties...Linguistics charms to communicate over large distances aren't too useful if the person you know on the other end is dead.

So it's like the dark ages, which I get.  The players do not know who the Chimarae is working for, it is just elluded to the Realm as the soldiers on his ship are in imperial dress.  So what actually makes up the Realm at this time?  Could I just say that the Chimarae is working for a Dragonblooded who is out to save Creation so that he may rule it himself?

The Realm hasn't been founded yet. The Blessed Isle is still in better shape than most of Creation, however most of its major cities are charnel houses of the Contagion Dead. The  modern Realm is not founded until the Scarlet Empress activates the Sword of Creation and crushes the Fair Folk armies.

Nothing wrong with having a surviving Daimyo or some such seek to take charge and protect Creation. They simply wouldn't be of any of the modern houses. However, why is the Chimera working for them? How did they ensure such? Why do they trust the being? Are they a skilled social type? Dragonblooded do have some rather nice social charms. Are they an Elder exalt, past the Essence 6 Mark? Such seems likely for a Daimyo, much as many House leaders in the modern Realm are...with some exceptions like V'neef, who is simply too young. Are they a Sorceror? Such can grant some rather strong power, and includes some mind control options, even within the Terrestrial Circle. Do they honestly mean well, or are they a manipulator only after power? Not all enemies of the PCs must be villains. Truth told, they likely shouldn't all be. However you go, good luck. :)

The  modern Realm is not founded until the Scarlet Empress activates the Sword of Creation and crushes the Fair Folk armies.
Tyrany said:
This takes place right after the contagion and during the houses of the Realm trying to stake ground for themselves and conquer Creation once again.
Sounds like the Realm would indeed have been founded, though the Great Houses that exist now wouldn't have been. Nothing stopping you from making a custom House from one of the 12 'fallen' Houses. Sounds like an interesting idea.

The Realm was not founded until AFTER the Empress used the Sword of Creation. Since that happens not at the start but near the end game, then it has not happened...if you go by cannon. It's rather hard for a nation founded by essentially an army captain getting their hands on most Nuclear Launch codes and telling the rest of the world to stand down or they'll shoot...after doing so on the largest current threat to the world to exist BEFORE the bombs are away and the enemies squished. This doesn't mean one cannot Golden Rule such, but as is, the Empress was an officer unknown to high ranking military officers until she used the Sword of Creation to destroy the Fair Folk. For example Nefvarin, the head of the 7th Legion had never heard of her until then. She can't have already founded a nation until after she has done what gains her the fame and power to do so.

I guess sense the OP didn't mention any Fair Folk running about, I took the activation of the Sword of Creation to be when the Empress destroyed the Seven Tigers.

In this case, when I say Realm, what I am really thinking is the Dragonblooded force that is on the Blessed Isle.  Whenever I think of the Realm all I really think of is the central governing body of the imperials.  What would a better term I can use to represent this?

Tyranny said:
What would a better term I can use to represent this?
The Shogunate and/or Dragonblooded ruling class, I suppose.

I'd like to echo the other sentiments here regarding the chimera. Why would this chimera be working for any Dragon-blooded, at this point? How does the DB control and/or trust the chimera? I mean, the chimera is, essentially, Anathema. Sure, the Immaculate Texts haven't been written yet, but DB society as a whole doesn't look kindly on Anathema. So why would a DB use such?

Tyranny said:
The final of this, which is subject to change, is that both parties reach the Eye on the back of a behemoth turtle that looks like an island.
Did I read this right? Both parties arrive on the back of the same behemoth? Then why do they only fight when they arrive at the Eye? Why aren't the fighting before hand? Or is that the idea? That they have a running fight all the way until they reach the Eye? If that's the case, then if the PCs defeat the chimera, a lot of the drama before the turtle takes the Eye may have evaporated.

Why would the Lunars want to free the Solars from the Jade Prison? I mean, they did go insane. Or is the GF Siddie not giving out specifics? If he's not, what excuse is he using to have the PCs go after this artifact? Does he let them know he's Gold Faction? Does he let them know he's a Sidereal? Again, if not, what excuse is he using to get the PCs to do his bidding?

I like the main concept of the story, but some of these details need, I think, to be worked out......

Actually, many of the Immaculate Texts have been written, the religion already existed, and had some support. It is not the state religion though. However at least if the 1E Aspect Books history sections still have any validity, and they haven't been contradicted in this yet so far as I can tell, the Immaculates were gaining some strength already, and were already practicing their special martial arts. During the coming years was also when the split between the Immaculate Philosphy of the Realm and the Immaculate Faith of Lookshy developed. This seems to have been in part due to the direct influence on governance the Mouth of Peace of the time espoused, and due to the Immaculate Philosophy's choice of supporting the Scarlet Empress in particular. Well, that and personal animosity between the Chaplain General and the Mouth of Peace.

For terms other than the Realm, perhaps something like the Blessed Isle, or the Daimyo of Such and Such Prefecture. Or simply, the remains of the Shogunate.

As for methods of getting foolish young Lunars to do what you want...well, that's not necessarilly too hard if you word things right, and they don't have solid social defenses. (They have a nice Perfect Social Parry in Charisma, Hard-Nosed Denial Style, if it weren't for you needing to manipulate them, I'd suggest mentioning it to the players...social defense are often overlooked until it's too late. Might want to mention it anyhow...if you don't actually pull out the magic, unlikely they'll bother unless they're wierd or really stubborn. Labyrinth of the Beast, in Manipulation is good at perfectly giving the finger to Natural Mental Influence. Commanded to Fly is just plain fun, if less powerful directly than Hard nosed Denial Style...you can use it to save your butt after the fact...which is useful at times.)

Can't tell I go off on tangents from time to time, can you? ;) Ah, well.

Actually' date=' many of the Immaculate Texts have been written, the religion already existed, and had some support. It is not the state religion though. However at least if the 1E Aspect Books history sections still have any validity, and they haven't been contradicted in this yet so far as I can tell, the Immaculates were gaining some strength already, and were already practicing their special martial arts. During the coming years was also when the split between the Immaculate Philosphy of the Realm and the Immaculate Faith of Lookshy developed. This seems to have been in part due to the direct influence on governance the Mouth of Peace of the time espoused, and due to the Immaculate Philosophy's choice of supporting the Scarlet Empress in particular. Well, that and personal animosity between the Chaplain General and the Mouth of Peace. [/quote']
Okay, if you want to get technical, fine, the Texts were written at this time.

:-P

But my point still stands: the chimera is an Anathema, so why would a DB want to work with it?

Vanman said:
Okay, if you want to get technical, fine, the Texts were written at this time.

But my point still stands: the chimera is an Anathema, so why would a DB want to work with it?
Of course I do.

I have an idea.

"Fluffy's such a cute little Anathema, yes he is. Who wouldn't want an insane cute little bunny rabbit to throw at their enemies and watch all their throats get ripped out? Here's some nice alphalpha Mr. Bun Bun. Yes, you can keep your Plasma Tongue Repeater and Switchklaive, and here's a few summoned Nymphs and Dryads to keep you company."

Vanman said:
I'd like to echo the other sentiments here regarding the chimera. Why would this chimera be working for any Dragon-blooded, at this point? How does the DB control and/or trust the chimera? I mean, the chimera is, essentially, Anathema. Sure, the Immaculate Texts haven't been written yet, but DB society as a whole doesn't look kindly on Anathema. So why would a DB use such?
Here's a little background story on the Chimera.  I needed an Antagonist that the party could fight directly, there are other forms of antagonists in the storyline, but i like the idea of a rival.  In thinking of a character that all the PC's can hate I thought, what better than a Chimera working for a dragonblooded.  Here's how I am making that work.  The Chimera gets a vision a lot like that of the Bull of the North's when he exalts, that he was meant to take over Creation for the Lunars.  But when he was casted he choose a weak totem animal as it was the one presented to him.  He abandoned that animal and choose another, one more suited for the likes of taking over creation, but in doing so he had forsaken his lunar brothers.  So now he needs some kind of army or force that would drive Creation to it's knees, with this he went to a dragonblooded.  He worked out negotiations with the dragonblooded and he agreed to give him a first age warship and a handful of men to look for an artifact (the Eye) but the DB was smarter and convinced him to wear an artifact that the DB controls (super nifty ST artifact.... think Inuyasha "sit boy"  basically the artifact is a dog chain around his neck and when a command is called out the spirits holding the chain would pull him down to the ground.  With essence vision one can see 4 spirits holding a chain walking with him at all times.)  This keeps the Chimera in control of the DB.

Vanman said:
Why would the Lunars want to free the Solars from the Jade Prison? I mean, they did go insane. Or is the GF Siddie not giving out specifics? If he's not, what excuse is he using to have the PCs go after this artifact? Does he let them know he's Gold Faction? Does he let them know he's a Sidereal? Again, if not, what excuse is he using to get the PCs to do his bidding?
This was a difficult point in the plot line, which I had already passed.  The No Moon, which was the one approached, was scyptical as well.  She posed the same questions as you.  The Siderial did let her know that she was with the Gold Faction and that was all that she let her know of her identity.

The Siderial told her that she and her circle were the last chance for the Solars.  The rest of her brethern had taken to the Wyld and with the Solars trapped the Siderial's hands were tied.  Although the No Moon accepted, whether she uses the Eye to release the Solars has still yet to happen as no "Essence Driven" deal had taken place.

Or the Chimera could be stuck with a level 4 slave collar as per Wonders of the Lost Age (Exalted 2e), page 63.

It does require that the DB has a higher essence trait than the chimera, and commit 8 motes, it DOES allow him or her to utterly control the chimera.

1ed game.  When 2ed came out we had just settled with our 1ed rules and house rules, we didn't wanna go through the awkwardness of doing that again for a little while yet.

Oddly enough that artifact is very compatiable with 1e. ^_^ ;

Basically, the target has to obey you, in much the fashion the target of 3fold binding heart would the spell-caster. And if someone attempts to take it off, the victim could eat up to 16 Aggravated damage.

Also, if you take into the consideration the ego that the DBs have over having taken down Solars and Lunars alike it could make sense that they would think they could easily control their new pet.

And if the Chimera is truly insane and intent on conquering the world then he may already have it in his head then when all things are said done he can drop the cherade and be the Master instead as it is destined.

I think what I'm gonna end up doing is: since we've only played one game (getting the group together to play is kinda hard at times) i'm going to do an early scenario change (they'll understand as this is my first time STing).  I'm gonna set the time to right after the Sword of Creation is taken by the Empress.  The Empress is in power and the Realm is beginning to form.  It is the Lunars' mission to take the Empress off of her throne while the empire is young.  Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or berrating would be accepted.

Vanman said:
Okay' date=' if you want to get [i']technical[/i], fine, the Texts were written at this time.

Of course I do.

I have an idea.

"Fluffy's such a cute little Anathema, yes he is. Who wouldn't want an insane cute little bunny rabbit to throw at their enemies and watch all their throats get ripped out? Here's some nice alphalpha Mr. Bun Bun. Yes, you can keep your Plasma Tongue Repeater and Switchklaive, and here's a few summoned Nymphs and Dryads to keep you company."
Oh, not so tough now, are yeh? "it was just a little bunny" - I warned yeh! Claws, fangs, and hideous teeeth! (sound of crazy old wizard laughing, and a certain knight soiling himself).

-4 pts for lack of originality  :wink:
Now, go tell "Fluffy" that you are taking his points away (and his artifacts and dryad/nymph companions along with it) and see how he reacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back