• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Other Low data

OmegaD

So, just a question here. Sometimes, even if time allows it, network data doesn't. I have seen its Discord friendly here, but what about WhatsApp? Some service providers offer better data deals on a WhatsApp bundle than a net bundle.

So, without sounding like a creep would it be okay to ask players to join a WhatsApp group for rp instead of a discord one?

Just a question based off recent experiences, feedback is good.

That platform is okay as long as you post in the off-site forums and don’t include personal contact information in the thread (discuss in pms please). There is the “Other” prefix you can select for your thread when you create it.

Keep in mind that WhatsApp requires to know phone number and not many users would be willing to share personal details with strangers on the internet.
So while it is not against the rules, we would advise against that or use messengers that don't require phone number access.

A valid point that I was concerned about. In this day and age privacy is a crucial point yes. I agree fully but I don't know if there is a ,I don't wanna say "free" cause nothing in life is free, but well, a free messenger that would be lighter for players to use than be online like here.

I'm not complaining its just, well I'll use an example.

A group is established and everyone is keen on it, for the next day, lore is told, characters are mad and the party takes a quest.
It had been discussed that the DM would portray "the big bad" but midway through the encounter, the DM loses data.
That being the case the party would be stuck till DM gets data which could take minutes or days, weeks even.

I'm not saying I'm going to ask everyone's number but I propose a think tank, there's a lot of people here, sadly I only know HTML coding but could there possibly be someone able to kick start an app to allow less data consumption?

...I'm blabbering aren't i

Discord is pretty low data from my experience. I have a limit of 10 GB a month and it never has threatened that threshold for me.

I see. 10GB is a lot and well also compared to others not much but I see your point.
Also discord already having a foothold helps with finding a medium to meet I suppose

Just avoid using video calls and you’ll be okay. Video is what will drain any limited data plan.

I'm on Discord very frequently, especially during the work week (when I don't have access to wifi and must use my network), and my phone says Discord's data usage is 0.24 GB over the past 30 days, if that helps.

That actually helps a lot. I'll be honest. Discord scared me, big rep, big fanbase, naturally I'd think big data consumption

I can see that, but I think they deliberately try to keep it low because they want to keep it accessible. Higher usage of voice/video chats will probably raise the data (I only use text on my phone), like Musician said, but you don't really need those for RP planning unless people want to. And a lot of my friends post pictures (including .gifs) and short videos, so that's included in my usage above and doesn't seem to make it unreasonably high.

You've gone made me get it lol. Now I R noob in discord lol it seems simple enough invite only so that's cool. Saw a not system I'm really interested in but now to learn how to make one lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back