• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Love Magic

tumblr_nhgb81N4zU1t90e7uo1_250.gif

Basics
Ryland Palowski
22 Years Old
Female
Dark Brown Hair
Hazel Eyes
5'5"
130 lbs

Friendly - Witty - Intelligent

Ryland walked into her grandmothers large home and took a deep breath. The scent was bittersweet, it reminded her of her warm and eccentric grandmother, but also reminded her that she was no longer with her. Ryland walked in shutting the door behind her and dropped the large box of belongings she had on the ground in front of the stairs. It was an older house, with a staircase going up to the bedrooms, and behind that a closet door that led to another staircase that went to the basement. Ryland remembered her grandmother walking down their and when she would try to follow she would turn and smile and simply say.
"Not yet, amare." Her grandmother had a funny quirk of speaking in Latin sometimes, which is definitely odd, considering its a dead language and all. Just like her now. Ryland shook her head quickly to rid her mind of that thought. Then walked towards the closet door. She had never gotten a chance to go down there. Her curiosity and something else deep inside her that she couldn't quite put a finger on, urged her to open the door and go downstairs. Ryland shrugged, What's the worst thing I could find? Grandma's sex dungeon? Rylands face scrunched up. Okay actually that would be pretty bad. A little more hesitantly than before now, Ryland reached forward and opened the door. The air on the other side was cold. Stepping inside Ryland ran her hand down the side of the wall as she descended the stairs into the dark basement. It was weird, based on all the horror movies she had read she should be quivering in fear but instead, every step she took she felt more at ease and comfortable in the dark basement. She shook off the feeling explaining it away as just the comfort of being in her Grandmothers home.
Once she reached the bottom of the steps Ryland reached out to pull the chain for the light. She grasped it and before she pulled it she had a weird thought. How did I know there was a chain instead of a switch. And how did I know where it was....A weird feeling ran down her spine this time. The familiarity that her body somehow felt in this basement was weird. Reluctantly now, Ryland pulled down illuminating the room.

"Holy f-" Ryland looked around. The basement was small, with shelves surrounding the the room. The shelves were full of the some of the weirdest, and downright creepiest things she had ever seen. There were jars filled with murky water with weird roots, and possibly body parts floating inside. One shelf was covered in archaic looking books that appeared to be falling apart from overuse. In one corner was a literal freaking cauldron. A cauldron!

Then to top it all off in the center of the room on the ground was a large pentagram surrounded by odd looking symbols, it seemed to have been burned into the stone ground. How do you burn stone? In front of Ryland facing her was a tall wooden podium holding a red leather bound book that was open to a page covered in what appeared to be latin scrawlings.

"Okay, okay. Come on Ry. This is obviously a little haunted house Grandma put on for the neighborhood kids. That she just never got around to taking down." Ryland tried to explain away everything she was seeing. "And this is just some silly dollar store spell book." Ryland chuckled to herself. She couldn't believe she was actually falling for this for a second. Then jokingly she walked forward and began reading the book.

"Qui vocat daemonium levasti manum tuam ut terram hanc a me consilium et providere Romam reuerterunt." Ryland felt a tug in her stomach and all of a sudden she felt a surge of energy course through her body. She had never felt more physically aware, it was as if she could hear every sound from the smallest insect to the suns rays. And then it was over. Just like that in an instant.

Ryland put her hands on the podium to brace her self. "What the hell." She looked up to see the pentagram and chains, which she had previously not noticed, still there empty. She couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed. She shook the feeling off and looked at her phone.
"Holy Crap!" It was 10pm, she had been in the basement for three hours. She thought she had been there for five minutes. Ryland looked around the room and then turned. She pulled the light switch and headed up the stairs. She stopped in the kitchen and grabbed a water bottle and headed to her room. It was her moms old room. She didn't want to take the master bedroom, her grandmas, quite yet. Ryland walked in and set her glass on the night stand and then sat down on the bed and put her head in her hands. "This is the weirdest day." She said to herself.

Scripted Away Scripted Away

Demon.
Minding that that word basically was a term to stand for such a vast variety of beings made its existence almost ridiculous- and practices that included not otherwise specified variations of demons incredibly dangerous and unpredictable.
the same ritual could summon a lesser demon, annoying little things that hid in the shadows and brought bad luck wherever their summoner went, to knights of hell who could destroy an entire continent by just the power of their will.
however there were some who knew how to modify and change their spells to summon a certain kind, along with a wide range of other side effects.

it was a complicated practice to modify a set spell and ritual in a way that would make it, and by far not every witch was clever or talented enough to do it, but there was one who had mastered it.

A pair of glowing golden eyes opened in the darkness, slowly turned black and gained a look of confusion.
wait.
he knew that pentagram down there.
he knew that basement.
he knew it very well.
so this had to mean that his time as the protector of the witches heir had come...
They shared a long past. He had been her protector for many years before she had felt the end coming and let him go to live his own life for a while. but he had had to promise that he would pick up his old task again and protect her heir when her magic abilities would awaken. she had set it all up so the first spell she would do would be his summoning spell.
well then...

the black-haired young man shook his head, the cat ears on his head twitching around to listen and find out where the heir was.
sounded like... upstairs. second room on the left.
he growled silently for just a second, his sharp fangs twinkling in the dim light that the pentagram below him was giving off.
the collar around his neck, a simple, dark red leather collar with a pendant just like the pentagram that was burned into the ground, was incredibly uncomfortable. but it was what bound him to his old master's heir, and so could only be destroyed by them- with a spell she had taken to her grave.
"I swear...", he sighed, stretching his back for a moment.
"This witch..."

all of a sudden, the demon shrinked smaller and smaller, until he stood there as a black cat, licking his chest fur straight for just a moment.
"Well then-"
with a flick of his ear, he made his way upstairs and into the bedroom where he could hear his new master's voice.
he just let out a soft mew, jumping on the foot of the bed with an intensity in the look of his shining golden eyes that seemed like could stare a hole into ones soul if he just wanted to.

Ryland had her head in her hands when she felt some pressure on the bed next to her. She looked up slowly and saw black cat meow at her. She looked at him surprised. Did her grandma have a cat she didn't know about? She reached down and scratched the cat behind the ear. Then she noticed fangs, much larger than that of a normal cat, protruding from its mouth. Her hand instantly retracted.

"What the hell, grandma." Of course, her Grandma would have to have a weird cat. Gosh she wouldn't be surprised if she walked outside to find a five legged dog. Ryland turned on the bed and pulled her legs up. She pulled the cat into her lap and looked into it's yellow eyes. "Who are you, baby?" She asked before scratching behind it's ears again.

Maybe this day would end okay after all. She liked cats after all and it wouldn't be that bad to have a companion in the large home. Although she would have to get those teeth checked out maybe even removed. She looked down at the cat and smiled. Yeah, not bad at all.

Minuet purred deeply for a moment. He normally didn't like close contact to anyone, let alone being treated like a regular cat.
But scratching behind the ear? That was his weak point, the one thing to calm him down and put a smile on his face. he had just grown too serious, distant even. It wasn't that he didn't like company in general, his old master had been incredibly important for him, but he did have his reasons...

He finally managed to fight his inner cat and climbed off the girl's lap, licking his chest fur straight as he sat down on the bed beside her.
Once more, he dug his golden gaze into her face, before he jumped off the bed and his eyes literally glowed up for just a second, as if a lightning had flashed up in his irises.
Suddenly, the cat grew and grew, losing fur in the process that just disappeared into nothing-

- until Minuet was standing in front of his new master, his eyes going back to black while he dug his hands into the sleeves of his oversized blue sweater.
"The name's Minuet. You called me and I came. I'm your familiar."

Ryland frowned slightly as the cat crawled off her lap. He jumped down from the bed and for a second it looked as though his eyes glowed, but then it got weirder. In front of her eyes the once adorably odd cat grew into a man, admittedly a man with cat ears but still. She shrieked jumping back and with out thinking she grabbed her glass of water and tossed the water on the man-cat.

"What? Familiar? I am not familiar with you, I don't know you and I definitely didn't call you!" She jumped off her bed and began grabbing pillows and throwing them at the strange man-cat in her room. After three pillows she ran out and raised her arm with the glass in her hand as a warning not to step closer. "What and who the hell are you?" She asked menacingly.

She looked "Minuet" and his black hair. If he hadn't just been a freaking cat, and broke in to her home, she would probably be flirting with him.

Minuet jumped back as the water was being tossed on him, hissing disgustedly.
the water luckily was only on his sweater, but his skin already started to turn black and smoke where the water was touching it.
He hastily tore the sweater off his body and threw it away as far as possible, looking at the burns on his skin with a deep frown, his eyes turning golden for a moment.

"Stay away from me with that holy water!", he growled painfully. "Your grandmother warded the pipes to bless every drip of water in this house so stay. away."
This hurt. there were a few things that could hurt his kind, and holy water was one of the most effective. it burned his skin like acid and hurt hellishly.

Minuet let out an annoyed scoff before he stroked his hair out of his face and crossed his arms.
then however he sighed silently. It wasn't her fault that she didn't know anything at all about magic.
Sitting down on the bed again, his hand pushed on his hurting skin, he looked up at her. "As I said, my name is Minuet. I'm a Bakeneko- a cat demon. Your grandmother saved my life when I was just a kid, and ever since, I was her familiar and protector, until the day she died and I promised to continue my service for her heir- you. And of course you called me. the spell you spoke in the basement was a summoning."

Ryland gasped at the reaction Minuet had to the water, she was not expecting that. She couldn't help but feel bad for the demon. Slowly Ryland placed the glass back on the table. Then tentatively she sat down next to the bakeneko. She looked down at the burns and frowned.

"I-I'm sorry. Would burn cream help, or is your body just to," she gestured at his whole body, "different?" She was still very wary of the creature, but he had been a cuddly cat moments before and she had a soft spot for cats. She went into the adjoining bathroom and ruffled through the cabinets, coming back with a first aid kit. She sat down next to Minuet.
"So what exactly is a familiar? Are you like a maid or something?" She raised an eyebrow questioningly. She was not a hundred percent on board with this whole magic thing, but there was cat man in her bedroom so she might as well hear him out.

"don't mind me, I heal quickly", Minuet mumbled while he grabbed a pen from the bedside table and Drew a rune on his chest, just above the burn.
It lit up in a fiery golden color, just as the burns, which slowly but steadily started to heal.

"Demons and holy water aren't exactly compatible. People always think it's just with vampires, but we are closely related.", He expalined shrugging.
Now, how to explain it all to her? She really didn't seem to have a clue...
"Okay, let me try to explain it all in the least complicated way...", He muttered. "When a witch or magician dies, they choose a heir to inherit their magical powers. Your grandmother chose you. When you spoke the spell in the basement, your abilities awoke and I was summoned. The spell was created by your grandmother so it would always only summon me."

Pointing at the collar around his neck, he shrugged.
"As a familiar, I'm bound to you. I'll always be by your side, in one form or another, and I am whatever you need. A helping hand, an advisor, a teacher. I myself can only cast minor magic, but your grandmother taught me everything she knew so I would be able to help you learn it all."

He frowned slightly, bending forwards to rest his elbows in his thighs.
"Mainly though, I'm here to protect you. There are people out there who know magic and sense it when it's used around them. And they have no bigger life goal than to hunt down magicians and everything that has to do with them."
A very faint smirk slowly formed on his face, his fangs, that were pointy even in human form, flashing up in the dim bedroom light for a moment.
"I'm what stands between you and death. Your ultimate body guard. I owe that to your grandmother."

Ryland looked at Minuet in awe as he skin literally glowed she couldn't help but reach out and gently place a couple fingers on the glowing skin. It was beautiful. She quickly retracted her hand though and listened to Minuet. Vampires? Witches? Magic? She shook her head and stood up.

"This- This is too much! I just lost my Grandma and now you're telling me I am Witch who is going to be hunted for the rest of my life!?" A tear escaped her eye. She had gone through a lot that day. She slid down the walk so she was sitting on the ground facing Minuet. Her face was torn. She couldn't believe this stuff, but the problem was, she did. It felt right. She had no idea why or how, but back in the basement when she summoned Minuet was the most alive she had ever felt.

Ryland looked up Mineut and noticed his fangs. She couldn't hold back a short laugh that burst out. Of course he would have fangs like this too. Fangs and cat ears, apparently that is the only constant thing in life anymore.
Once again she stood up and ran a hand through her dark waves. Taking a deep breath she looked at Minuet. She gave him a good look and really noticed the collar this time.
"Does that hurt?" She pointed at it.

Minuet frowned sorrowfully at Ryland's desperate reaction to these for her probably very scary news.
Of course it would take some time until she would be able to come to terms with it all, but there were things that needed to be done as soon as possible and-

He slightly shook his head at his own thoughts. He at least could take it easy for this one day.
Or, well, at least he could try not to overthink, even though it was hard for his overly cautious and serious mentality.

*Now now, don't fret", he mumbled, getting up from the bed as well to give Ryland a hopefully comforting pat on her back.
"Hunters can sense magic, but they're no oracles. As long as you are careful about when and where you use magic, you will be fine. And even if one discovers you, I'm still bound to protect you with my life."

At her mentioning his collar, he furrowed his eyebrows for a moment, pulling on it with one finger. "It's disturbing, but I'm used to it."
Now, shouldn't he find a way to distract her from the bad news, at least for today?
"You seem quite fascinated by my healing", he mentioned as an attempt. "This is called rune magic. There are runes for a lot of things. This I've I used is called Iratze. It heals minor wounds and kills the pain. You know, your grandmother taught me everything about magic, so I would teach it to you."

Ryland looked up at Minuet and smiled a little bit. She was still completely overwhelmed and confused but the runes did seem really cool. She took a deep breath and stood up. Minuet seemed okay, odd, but okay.
"Alright that would be cool." All of sudden Ryland's stomach growled and she looked down, guess it was time to eat. Then a thought occurred to her. She looked at Minuet.
"Hey, do I need to get you like cat food, or something? Water bottles, so you can drink? And exactly how strong is your magic, like if I wanted a pizza....." She let the sentence trail off and raised he eyebrows excitedly.

The demon feel silent while a completely deadpan expression settled on his face.
One eyebrow was slowly raising... And minuet let out a short, sardonic laugh.
Humans.
Typical.

"I'm a Bakeneko, not the pizza boy", he grunted with a shake of his head. "Neither am I a cat. I eat like every other person too. And I can go grocery shopping very well, so don't worry about me. About magic-"
He picked up his sweater carefully, watching out not to touch the water stain, looking at Ryland from the corner of his eye.
"I only do runes and core Shields. But if we go grocery shopping I could make us dinner afterwards."

Ryland laughed, okay the cat food assumption was bad, but how was she supposed to know, before today she didn't even know that magic existed.
"Okay lets go to the store but wait," she leaned over and reached into a large cardboard box she had brought over earlier. She pulled out a black beanie and tossed it at Minuet, "here for your ears." She started walking out and down the stairs, hoping he would follow. "So, what kind of magic can I do?" She was curious. Was she like Hermione from Harry Potter or was it more like....well actually Harry Potter was the only magic movie she had seen. "Will I someday be able to summon pizza? I mean if I can summon a cat-man demon, I should be able to summon pizza."

"let me just put on a shirt!", Minuet laughed, motioning at his shirtless upper body before he hurried down into the basement and soon came back in a dark, washed out ripped jeans, dark grey shirt and black leather jacket, the beanie on his head.
"Okay, now we can go."

He leaned against the entrance door, watching Ryland with obvious curiosity before he answered her questions.
"Well, there are different types of magic at first;
Rune magic. Every rune has a certain function. You have to be very precise with these because the tiniest mistake could turn a healing rune like Iratze into a Sangliers that could kill you.
Then there's core magic, also called soul projections. Very staining as it uses the energy in your body and spirit to create temporarily solid objects. The bigger, the more straining.
Vampiric magic is closely related to core magic, but it uses the life energy of others instead of your own. However if the one you're sucking energy from had a strong enough will, they can overtake control, so it's kind of unsafe if you don't have a strong enough mental barrier.
Astral magic uses astral energy to make things happen, but it's unreliable and easy to track for hunters and everyone else who can sense magic.
Spell magic, like the one you used to summon me, is similar to rune magic, though it's more flexible. It takes decades to master spell magic with all its quirks and loopholes and details. Your grandmother was known to be the greatest living spell caster.
Then there's black magic. It takes rituals usually involving a lot of blood, pain and sacrifice. Gruesome practices for even more gruesome achievements. I will teach you every single of these kinds, but I want you to promise me to never use black magic. It might be incredibly effective and strong, but it kills you a bit more with every time you use it and lastly turns you into a monster that would kill its own family."

The look on his face was dead serious after his last sentence, and he locked his eyes to Ryland's for a good moment.
"I'm serious about this. You can forget about everything I just told you if it doesn't interest you, but this one thing you have to remember forever. Never. Use. Black. Magic. Okay? I don't mean to scare you or anything, it's just the most important thing I will ever teach you about magic, trust me on that one."

Rylands mind swirled at all the possibilities that magic implied. Her mouth pulled up in a grin there were so many. She was getting really excited until Minuet mentioned black magic. The seriousness in his expression froze Ryland. She could tell there was a much more sinister side to magic. She swallowed and looked up at her new friend.
"Well then, lets get us some pizza huh?" She opened the door to the house and stepped out beginning the walk to the convenience store that was nearby. She peered over at Minuet while they walked. he was definitely an interesting one, besides just the cat and demon thing, he seemed to have great respect for her grandmother. She wondered how.
"Hey Minuet...how exactly did my Grandmother save you?"

Minuet flinched slightly at Ryland's question.
This topic was very hard to talk about for him, but Ryland as her heir had the right to learn about the bond between her grandmother and him, as it now was her bond, too.

Sighing softly, he took off his beanie, ran his hand through his hair once and put it back on.
"My parents and me used to live in a cottage in the forest, in peace with the humans. We never showed ourselves to them, never harmed anyone...but the witch hunters found us."
He slightly shook his head while his eyes lit up golden for a second.
"I was just a little boy when They attacked us and... Everyone died. Everyone but me. Your grandmother found me and took me in, raised me...and taught me everything she knew even though most witches see demons as lesser creatures. She was... She was more than my master."

Looking at Ryland with deep grief in his eyes, he took her hand, as a support for both of them.
"You actually are a lot like her."

Ryland looked down at her hand in Minuet's. She felt her eyes get wetter at his last statement and she gave his hand a gentle squeeze and removed her hand.
"I am sorry Minuet," she sighed and continued walking. It was then out of the corner of her eye that she noticed an older woman across the street looking at Minuet attentively.
Confused, Ryland looked over at her friend and then remembered he had removed his beanie briefly exposing his ears. Rylands eyes widened and she turned to look straight forward.

Ryland picked up the pace just slightly and whispered to Minuet, "I think that woman across the street saw your ears."

The faintest of smiles appeared on Minuet's face as he looked at the woman from the corner of his eye.
"Ah, don't worry. She'll probably put it on her medication and call it a hallucination soon. I can smell the disinfectant and pain killers- she recently had some sort of surgery and is still recovering."
As the convenience store came in sight around the next corner, minuet crossed his arms.
"So, I got nothing against pizza at all, but I'd suggest making it ourselves. Ever tried self-made pizza? Just great!"

Ryland raised her eyebrows at Minuet, the amount of power, or magic, he had seemed inconceivable and the idea that she might have even more was mind boggling. Ryland entered the store with Minuet and looked around.

"I have once before, but I burnt it," she frowned, "if you can promise me you won't let me burn it I am down." Ryland began walking down aisles and grabbed her favorite ingredients for pizza, pepperoni slices, sausage chunks and onions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back