Lost Mine of Phandelver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vutha didn't even blink at the reaction of the two sons, her only movement the slow swaying of her tail behind her in the warming sunlight. Following the group inside she collected yet more of the small metal shards and placed them in her pouch.

With Bryn's long string of questions, Vutha's attention wandered for a few moments before eventually returning. "Need to restock on supplies. Also small bow, small healing kit, and leatherworking tools. Last set was lost."

At the question of the mine, with a claw Vutha began to pick at her teeth, "Elders told stories around the fire of a cavern plentiful with magic and minerals. Scale-less spellslingers desired it, along with the tiny scale-less and the furred-scale-less, created giant forge." Her head tilted as she inspected the claw, "This village prospered from it. Then Orcs came, desired cavern more. Many died, cavern lost." The lizardfolk attempted a shrug, "Elders said was lesson. Territory can be easily lost."

At the mention of the fact that the cavern was lost because of Orcs, Merimar sighed and looked down at the floor, feeling her cheeks starting to burn a little with shame.
'I guess that's why some people look at me with fear sometimes,' Merimar thought to herself, 'They see the tusks and wonder if I'm going to cause loss.'
"A healing kit and maybe a health potion might be a good idea," Merimar said, "Always good to have options."

Barthen raises his eyebrows as Vutha recounts the tale.

"That sounds about right. You know your history. This was a couple hundred years ago, mind you. Or so the story goes. Now, I can help you out on a few of those things. I don't have any potions on hand, but healer's kits and leatherworking kits run 5 gold a piece. But I tell you what, if you're going to save Gundren, those two healer's kits are on me. So just 5 gold for the leatherworking tools."

Calal glances at the man as he questions, "Sir, do you know where we could buy some chickens or other creatures and meats?"

He narrows his eyes at the Drow, seemingly contemplating something.

"Well sure, there is a butcher right next to the Lionshield Coster. It's off the town square."

Bryn smiled, "Alright then, thanks for the information." He sighed, that was a lot of non-answers for a lot of important questions. Bryn had hoped the old man could at least point them in the right direction for who to speak with, but he'd just have to settle for asking around. "While we're purchasing things, I was hoping I could sell this vial of perfume for a backpack, and if we're going to be dealing with a castle, I sure would like to be prepared. Do you have a climber's kit and a bundle of rope? And two more flasks of oil for my lantern. I would love to get my hands on a grappling hook as well, but I think that should do it." Bryn finished his list before he realize he wasn't very familiar with the area, and a map or a map maker might have knowledge of a castle. "Is there anyone in town who makes maps of the area?"

Barthen smirks at the mention of perfume, but furrows his brow at mention of a map maker.

"Don't normally have much of a market for perfume, but lucky for you it's the missus' birthday next month, so I'll give you 5 gold for it. You can have the rope, oil and grappling hook for ..." he looks at the ceiling and does some mental math "32 silver, but I don't have any climbing kits to sell you, unfortunately." He taps a finger on his chin, thinking for a moment. "A town map is easy enough, but a map of the surrounding area is gonna be trickier. Best bet is that odd fellow that comes around from time to time. Reed? Rudy? Eh, he usually stays at Qelline Alderleaf's farm when he's in town. She probably knows where he is."

Bryn smiles, "It's a wonderful perfume. I'm sure she'll love it, and I appreciate your generosity. It'll just take me a moment to retrieve it." Bryn stepped out to the cart, removing the perfume from his chest and counting out twenty two silver coin and one gold before returning to Barthen. He handed over the small glass bottle filled with fragrant liquid and stopped with a nice stopper. "Wonderful doing business with you Barthen, and thanks for the information." He turned to the others, "If there's nothing else, we should probably leave this man to his shop and get on with our business. We still need to meet with Sildar at the inn."

Vutha attempted a crude shrug again, limply dropping her shoulders. "Clan stories carry across generations. Have to be learned to share if ever have my own clutch." She nodded her head as she dug out five of the golden metal chips, taking the healer's kit and checking over the leather working tools -- different from the more primitive and crude tools she had before.

Listening as conversation continued she nodded again, "Map will be good. Fighters of the town likely know of the castle. Military caste. Still need bow and supplies."

Bryn collected his supplies, stuffing them into his pack. "Thanks Barthen. Until next time." He turned to Calal and Vutha, "Maybe we should split up at this point? Vutha and I can stop by the Lionshield Coster, she can get her weapons and I'll see about a reward for those crates from the cave. In the meantime you can head to the butcher. It'll be easiest to meet up at the inn afterwards with Sildar. What about the two of you; Meri, Fuska?"

After the others had finished with their requests, Fuska stepped forward with a some gold clenched in his meaty fist, which he places on the counter in front of the man. His deep voice seems to almost rumble out of him as he says, "I would also like one of those healing kits, and any information you have on Thundertree." Fuska then crosses his arms as he waits for the man's response, only tilting his head to the side slightly as he answers Bryn. "I can accompany Calal to the butcher, I may be able to aid with the wolves."

Barthen grabs another healer's kit and places it on the counter.

"OK, one more free one, but the rest you're gonna have to pay for." He eyes the goliath, trying to discern what age he might be. "Well, even if you're not old enough to remember, everyone knows about Mount Hotenow blowing its top. Those who survived that got chased out by all kinds of nasty things after that. The widow Dendrar grew up there. Poor woman."

Barthen shakes his head and sighs.

"Just missed her though. Her husband was killed not too long ago and she must have left town. Ain't no one seen her since. You could try that fellow of Qelline's though. He's as likely to have been there as anybody."

Listening to Fuska answer Bryn, Merimar decided to tag along as well. "I should probably go with you. Just in case something goes wrong with the wolves." Merimar hoped that didn't happen, she'd taken a bit of a liking to having the wolves around as well. 'Butchers, go feed the wolves, swing by the orchard after telling Fuska and Calal why if they're good with that, head to the inn'. Merimar thought, arranging the items into a nice mental checklist. 'Wonder why Fuska brought up Thundertree?'

Fuska collects the last healers kit and gives the man a quick bow. “Thank you sir, that is most generous of you. And I appreciate the information as well.” With that, he leaves a couple gold on the counter to at least semi-compensate the man, then turns to his allies. “I am ready to go with you to the butcher whenever you are ready. I look forward to this...experiment.”

As Bryn and Vutha enter the Lionshield Coster, they're met by a human woman who looks to be around 35, standing behind the counter of an otherwise spare shop. A securely shut door is on the wall behind her.

She studies the pair intensely, but it seems that she's specifically looking for some one or something behind them.

"Haven't seen you around town yet. What's your business in Phandalin, might I ask?"

Going with Calal to the butchers, Merimar hung back and let Calal take the lead in buying food for their new companions.

'This could either go spectacularly right or end in our grisly deaths with Bryn and Vutha none the wiser.' Merimar thought to herself, 'Hopefully the former happens.'

The Half-Orc cleric continued to reason with herself as Calal and Fuska led a freshly brought pig with them. The porker trotted along happily, seemingly unaware of what it was intended for. 'They could help us in battle, they could help guard us while we sleep, plenty of reasons to try and tame them.'

With Calal making the approach, before he did Merimar put a hand on his shoulder and whispered, "You got this." in an attempt to steady Calal. As he cast his spell and started trying to train the wolves Merimar watched as two seemed receptive but one of them had eyes only for the pig. Wondering if there was about to be a full blown slaughter, Merimar called out "Show them whose boss, you got this Calal!" The wolf that had seemed to ignore Calal then listened. Merimar watched as the three wolves sat down in front of Calal. At Calal's word, or what Merimar assumed was his word, the three wolves darted towards the pig which began squealing as the wolves quickly started tearing into their reward.

Bryn stood upright with a pleasant smile and extended a hand. "Bryn Meliscient, artisan blade smith; you may call me Bryn. Always a pleasure to meet a fellow smith." He peered behind him to make sure he wasn't missing anything. "This is my associate, Vutha. She's interested in purchasing some of your wares for adventuring. I was hoping we might come by a reward for information which should lead to the safe return of several crates of stolen Lionshield Coster goods. Only if you're interested of course."

"Linene Graywind," she answers, shaking the offered hand. "I don't make anything, just sell 'em mostly." She raises an eyebrow as Bryn continues.

"Are you ... ransoming my goods back to me? Are you one of those bloody Redbrands?! You may not be wearing the red cloaks but I should have known as soon as I saw you! My people said it was goblins. How long have the Redbrands been working with bloody gobs, huh?" She pulls a heavy crossbow out from under the counter and aims it first at Bryn, then Vutha, then Bryn again.

Entering the store, Vutha had merely stood to the side -- speaking with those she wasn't traveling with tended not to go well, and looking around the store this was a place she still needed something from. She stared blankly as they shook hands. Usually Bryn was the one to deal with people, but it seemed he had misstepped.

Vutha briefly raised her lips showing her teeth as she hissed, "Do not point a weapon at me. Goblins had your items. We killed goblins." Her tail swished behind her, "Scale-less Sildar said you might offer something for items. Took nothing from crates. Know nothing of Redbrands. Here to barter." She placed a clawed hand on the counter as she leaned forward, head tilted to try and see Linene with both eyes easily, "Never help goblins. Never."

Linene took a step back as Vutha leaned over the counter, her eyes focused on the lizardfolk's sharp teeth. Linene had never dealt with one before, but this came as close as she could imagine to sincerity. And hearing Sildar's name certainly helped. She lowered the crossbow enough that it was pointing at the counter now, but not too low that she couldn't raise it again before she found herself in Vutha's jaws.

"Si-Sildar? You traveled with him?"

Bryn was disappointed to hear she wasn't a real smith, but his disappointment was short lived as a crossbow was pointed in his direction.

He was surprised when Vutha spoke up and the woman listened. "Traveled with him to town after we saved his life from the goblins, yes. I've no idea who the Redbrands even are... Sildar had been traveling with our employer when they were ambushed by goblins. The beasts tried the same with our shipment for Brathen, but we proved far more capable; seeing evidence of Sildar and Gundren's situation, we tracked them to their home where we found your crates." Bryn was no longer smiling. "So, how about you put the crossbow away and we talk like the fine, upstanding people we all are?"

Linene lowers it further, pauses, then puts it back where she got it and shakes her head as if trying to clear a fog.

"I'm... I'm sorry. Redbrands are making a mess of this town. Came and harassed me just yesterday and promised to be back today, so I'm a little on edge. If you see anyone wearing a red cloak, just steer clear."

She composes herself for a minute.

"Sure, if you could bring back my goods there would be some gold in it for you. Anything else I can do for you folks today?"

Standing back straighter, Vutha had begun to loose interest in the conversation once the crossbow was lowered. She messed with the crude sash that made up her "clothes" as the woman spoke of threats, "Your territory. Defend it."

As she continued on to speak Vutha replied, "Crates in caves, not far from here. Near river. Mark on ..." here she paused trying to think of the word, "drawing. Of locations. Was Goblin cave. No more." Turning her stance slightly she looked around the store, "Want a bow. Small, not the strength for a large one. Arrows too." Her head tilted to look at the store owner, "Will trade metal discs. You take metal discs?"

"Discs? You mean coins? Sure. A shortbow and arrows will run you about 25 gold. But you bring those crates back and you can have both for nothing. And I'll give you some more ... metal discs for your trouble."

She fidgets anxiously, thinking about Vutha telling her to defend her territory.

"There's not a lot of fighters in this town, or we would have fought back already. Phandalin is farms, and families. They killed poor Thel last week. And there's worse than a gang of dumb thugs up in the manor house, rumor has it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread