Lost Journal of the Sea King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the gigantic scaled monster opens it’s maw to flip it’s feathered morsel deeper into it’s gullet a string of attacks beset it from either side. Violet and golden magic pierce his leathery exterior while the bladed warrior besieges the beast's snout. The attacks were unexpected and the pain unbearable, forcing the crocodile to drop it’s prey. Turning it’s massive body slowly in the sand it swipes at the nuisance before it, whipping its tail at Serres. The young warrior having found renewed strength easily sidesteps the attack, Serres watches as something the size of a small rowboat slams into the sand next to her.

The Lizardfolk, embolden by the show of strength by their pet, move to strike at their victims. One moves forward to attack Seres. First with a large wooden club embedded with black shards, the crude weapon swings wide. Yet, the wiley lizard man follows with a bash of it’s spiked turtle-shell shield. It hits Serres center mass, threatening to stumble her backwards, but she keeps her footing.

The other scaled one charges forward to meet the undead dwarf. Only its club connects, the crystalline shards rake across 1372’s foul visage. The weapon rips a substantial amount of flesh away and the lizardfolk hisses “Hshhhhhshh!” Unfamiliar with the ego of undead creatures, it slams its weapon against the shield to provoke the dead dwarf.

When Vesper was tossed by the monster she landed next to her spear. Face first in the sand, Vesper just now begins to feel the effects of Amadeus’ magic. Some of her wounds begin to close.
Serres takes 8 damage; 1372 takes 6 damage; Vesper is healed for 7beach battle 1_2.jpg

Turning it’s massive body slowly in the sand it swipes at the nuisance before it, whipping its tail at Serres. The young warrior having found renewed strength easily sidesteps the attack, Serres watches as something the size of a small rowboat slams into the sand next to her.

Serres felt the blast of sand hit her side from the missed blow. She took another swipe with Stolz at the crocodile's massive scaly tail and hit her previous mark deepening the wound further.

One moves forward to attack Serres. First with a large wooden club embedded with black shards, the crude weapon swings wide. Yet, the wiley lizard man follows with a bash of it’s spiked turtle-shell shield. It hits Serres center mass, threatening to stumble her backwards, but she keeps her footing.

She felt more than saw the attack coming from her left and parried it with Herz(2nd attack) at the last second. Turning around with the momentum of her swing she directed the blow towards the Lizardman's spiny neck.
"Is that your best!" She tried to parry (3rd attack) the Lizardman's second attack but stumbled on the loose sand and got rammed hard in the chest with his shield. She was able to keep her ground and not lose her footing. "That, my friend, was your last mistake."

Serres stays in her place in 13G.
1st Attack [Lizard] 1d20 (14) + 6 = 20 Damage: 4
2nd Attack [Lizardfolk] 1d20 (16) + 6 = 22 Damage:11
3rd Attack [Lizardfolk] 1d20 (1) + 6 = 7

Still racing across the beach, only a few steps behind the undead thrall, Amadeus couldn't help but wrinkle his nose at the unenjoyable scent that wafted behind it. As he was distracted he almost slammed into it when it was stopped by one of the lizard creatures that rushed up to attack it. Turning on his heel, a difficult task in the soft sand, he kept running past, glancing back at the thrall, thinking, "Maybe that will just sort itself out after all..."

Looking forward and moving to position to reach the most allies, he mentally commanded Hestia to fly towards the back of the large crocodile, managing to avoid its thrashing form -- the whole time Amadeus got small snippets of Hestia's thoughts, "Bad! Mean! Go away! My 2-leg!" He couldn't help the smirk as her storm of words continued on as she did a quick spin with her tail and struck the creature in a tiny space between parts of its thicker hide. It tensed as the poison from her stinger pulsed through the beast, but with a low rumble it glanced back at the pest and seemed to resist, though the wound did not look good.

Glancing around as he attempted to get Nemesis sorted, and still wishing he had done maintenance earlier, Amadeus tried to decide his target. To his right, was the thrall and its lizard playmate, to his left was the large crocodile and it seemed another lizard creature, both of which were engaged with two allies, with one of them face down in the sand. Reaching for his necklace again, he quick spun to face the crocodile and with a motion of his hand and a snap of his fingers, he created two more golden feather-like darts that hovered for a moment in front of him.

Waiting for the right moment as the crocodile thrashed and swung its form around, Amadeus mentally sharpened the edges of the feathers, until finally the beast opened its maw to hiss and snap -- the darts blasted forward, rushing into the mouth and aiming upwards towards the brain. There was a pause on the battlefield as if the beast had yet to realize what had happened, before it collapsed, limp and heavy on the beach, its snout close to the bird-creature on the ground, though thankfully didn't land on her.

Hestia landed proudly on the beast, preening herself, sending small messages to Amadeus along the lines of, "I kill! Best!"

Under his breath, Amadeus muttered in Celestial, "Maybe that Necromancer will take that as a lesson of what I'm capable of..."

Hestia -- move to K10
Use Stinger on croc
Nat20+4 = 24 to hit
DMG: 8 piercing dmg
DC 11 Con save for poison -- Croc rolled 11 -- passed

Amadeus -- move to L15
2 Eldritch Blasts on Croc:
13+6=19 to hit
19+6=25 to hit
DMG: 26 force dmg total (both were 10+3)

After casting his spells Leothyc had looked briefly at the holy man , expecting him to be charging into the fray, blessed weapon drawn. He was indeed charging in, however it was not weapons drawn but casting spells. The golden bolts surprised Leothyc further. It was most definitely holy magic, but not a spell he was familiar with. 'Now that, is interesting. Further observation required.' he noted to himself.

The other scaled one charges forward to meet the undead dwarf. Only its club connects, the crystalline shards rake across 1372’s foul visage. The weapon rips a substantial amount of flesh away and the lizardfolk hisses “Hshhhhhshh!” Unfamiliar with the ego of undead creatures, it slams its weapon against the shield to provoke the dead dwarf.

The mental ping from his new minion alerts him, and his gaze shifts to 1372 in time to witness part of the flesh he worked to reattach fly off the thrall. 'Irritating reptile.' he thinks. Undead do not feel pain, but having to reattach body parts every time they fall off pains him. Mentally commanding 1372 to grab on to the cretin, he cycles through his possible actions in his mind before deciding to debilitate rather than damage directly.

Shifting his staff back to his side, Leothyc moves his other hand towards the offending lizardman, palm facing outward and fingers splayed. Channeling power, a white-blue glow manifests around the hand, shifting reminiscent of snow. His fingers move in a complex motion, retracting and extending in an almost rhythmic pattern with the motion of his hand, and a softly spoken "Frigora mordent" releases the spell upon its intended target.

The effects of the spell take a second to manifest, in which time 1372's decayed brain processes its masters command and lurches forward with a gurgle made all the more terrifying by the now-missing flesh on its face. However, neither the master's nor the minion's actions bear fruit, as the lizardman deftly sidesteps the staggered charge, breaking the slowly forming frost on its body in the process. Cold-blooded it may be, but weak to the cold it is not.

Muttering an elvish swear, Leothyc glances looks beyond to ascertain how the other combatants are faring, in time to see twin golden bolts fly inside the giant beast's maw and subsequently slay it. 'Hm, seems the human isn't purely bluster' he muses, shifting his gaze around the battlefield to take note of his allies and enemies.

Leothyc - No movement
Casts Frostbite - Lizard's Con save succeeded. No effect.

1372 - Lurch to N12
Attempted grapple - Grapple failed. No effect other than a shift in location from the failure.

In the grip of the enormous crocodile's jaws, Vesper felt it shudder when the magic from Leothyc and Amadeus impacted the beast, though she could not see the cause. She felt sudden warmth – blood? – and the crocodile flung her away.

Her body slammed hard into the beach, but she managed to roll with the momentum and pluck up her spear, whirling to face the fight as she skidded to a stop in the dunes. She spat out a beakful of sand.

She glanced down and saw that her feathers were briefly covered in a strange sheen of light that ebbed away even as she took a breath, and was surprised to find that she was hardly even winded from the attack.

She flashed her eyes in a nictitating blink. A healing spell!

As she changed her grip on the spear and prepared to re-enter the fray – Serres was up and whirling skillfully in combat with another foe – two more bright darts of magic shot into the crocodile's mouth. It dropped to earth and Vesper took the opportunity to leap forward, spear held behind her with the Valiant's pennant streaming nobly from the haft.

---

Weaving left, Vesper spins and ducks behind Serres (thus avoiding her ally's weapons) as she looks for an opening on the lizard-foe; spear flicking like a serpent's tongue, she darts two swift strikes at his flank, pouring focused energy through her weapon as she had been taught in order to stun him.

Knight Vesper to G11.
Melee attack #1 with Adv. from flanking: 11 (miss)
Melee attack #2 with Adv. from flanking: 25 (spending 1KP on Stunning Strike)
spear damage from #2 (1d8 from versatile, both hands): 10

Serres moved with more skill and speed than the lizard man had ever seen. Her metal stinger piercing his leathery skin with each of his missteps. Though his reptilian mind could not understand her words, he sensed that she was taunting him. As he steeled himself to charge the soft one a second enemy swiftly sprung into view. A being like he had never seen, the body of man but a head like a great bird. This one was also quick, their spear jabbing and jabbing, always moving, a flying cloth at the end made it hard to predict the movement. The lizardfolk held up his shield to defend but it was of no use. Then suddenly a flash of light in his eyes and emptiness as he stood there stunned.

1372’s dance partner deflects his advances with the turtle-shell shield. Having created some space the lizardfolk swings his jagged club around aiming to cave the dwarf’s head in. The attack catches the zombie in the shoulder, breaking some of the bones. Springing forward immediately afterward, the reptilian foe opens his jaws wide and bites down on the thrall’s decaying flesh.

beach battle 1_3.jpg
Giant Crocodile is dead. Lizardfolk A is stunned and looking bad. Lizardfolk B is OK. 1372 has taken 11 damage.

Swiftly reversing her spear, Vesper sweeps the stunned lizardfolk warrior's legs in order to knock him prone onto the sand. She lets forth a high, whistling cheer.

"Okyiin kai, kai, kai, Serres! Well fought with your flashing steel!"

She grins fiercely and turns her attention to the fallen foe. She brings her spear point to his throat. "Here, you. No harm had we done, but you attack us. You and your monster are defeated. Yield – tuotch ka,yield!"

Vesper uses one of the attacks granted from her Attack Action to trip Liz A (knock prone). She holds the rest of her turn, potentially including another melee attack and bonus unarmed strikes.

“Good job with the spear there! You seem to have this creature under control, I will go finish his brethren.”

Serres flashed aaracokra a quick smile before rushing towards the second lizardman wrestling a survivor that seemed oddly lumpy.

She stumbled on the sand with her first swing and the lizardman easily deflected the blow. She remembered to watch her footing with the second attack and pierced his heart with one smooth jab. “We only need one alive!”

She turned to assist the dwarf before noticing the odd smell and lumpiness was undead. Instinct took over and without questioning why he was attacking the lizardman, she sliced an X into the zombie’s chest and tried to cut his head off.

“Where did you come from? I remember you from the ship. Is everyone on the Red Valiant going to turn undead?” Serres worridly checked her arms and face for early signs of zombitis.

Movement to 13M.
Attacks with action surge.

1st and 2nd attacks against Liz B
1st: 9
2nd: 25 (nat 19) - Damage: 17

3rd and 4th attacks against zombie
3rd: 15 - Damage: 8
4th: 10- Damage:11

Last edited:
Whatever reply Serres expected from the undead, she would be left wanting as 1372 gurgles at its sliced-open chest, guts spilling out with little blood, before lurching forward and falling flat on its face. The mental chain disappearing alerts Leothyc to what the others could surmise from the zombie's unmoving form, it is truly dead once more.

Leothyc sighs from where he stands, under the palm tree. 'Typical. Even on their side I only receive setbacks and questions.' he mutters in his mind. 'At least there was some data to be gained before the loss' he muses, thinking back to the insight gained on the correlation of water damage to durability. He shifts his gaze back to the battlefield, particularly towards the holy man that moments before brought down the giant beast. He ponders the worth in making a stealthy exit to try his luck alone. Undecided, he merely grips his staff tightly and awaits the result of the scuffle beside the beast.

Leothyc - No movement or actions

1372 - Dead
Lethal damage taken, failed saves to trigger passive.

Seeing the battle as basically over -- the large beast was dead, the lizard to Amadeus' right was cut down, along with "1372" as well it seemed, and what little he could see of the other lizard seemed to be on the ground with a spear pointed at it -- he allowed himself a small sigh of relief. Hestia was still happily running across the dead body of the crocodile, her steps so light she didn't even make a dent on the massive form, chirping and trilling in excitement.

He left her to her celebration as he moved over towards Serres and the zombie, as she was quickly checking herself over -- though for what Amadeus wasn't entirely sure. He did notice though she had a few cuts and bruises -- not nearly as intense as what he witnessed her do to the two forms in front of her.

Placing a gentle hand on her shoulder, he gave her an amused grin, "Seems like you made short work of the both of them." He looked over to where Leothyc stood, a slightly anxious expression on his face, as if he were awaiting his fate, and patted Serres' shoulder. "I know where they came from ... however I'm not sure about your last question." Kneeling down, he looked over the form of the undead dwarf -- even if the rest of the face had been there, he still had no idea who it might have been in its original life. Trying to ignore the damage to the corpse, he still attempted to rearrange it into a more peaceful position than the way it had been splayed out on the ground from Serres' blows. Rubbing the crystal sword on his necklace, Amadeus muttered over the corpse, "Sadly we did not find you first ... but hopefully Kelemvor already weighed and guided you before this happened."

He sat for a moment, listening to the waves crashing on the shore as Hestia, finished with her solo-parade, decided to join him, curling herself around his shoulders once more, still purring and chirping slightly. "See? I kill! Do good?" Absentmindedly he gently rubbed her slender neck as he looked back over towards Leothyc, still standing in the shade.

"If I may suggest it, if we seem to have a captive, we should probably tie them up. Can probably find ropes -- if not, we can use the linen that was found earlier." He stood, readjusting Nemesis on his shoulder. "I have a conversation that needs to happen, if you'll excuse me for a moment."

Approaching Leothyc in the shade once more, Amadeus couldn't help but notice every so often he seemed to glance off to the sides, as if weighing his options.

Pointing behind with his thumb towards the dead-once-more-thrall, Amadeus had a small smirk, "Seems my work was basically done for me." He pauses, the smirk fading, "Though it also seems you had a point -- we're apparently not the only ones here, and apparently not also very welcome here." Crossing his arms, he closes his eyes for a moment as he sighs once more, the headache a crescendo in his mind as he begins to speak again, "So how about a deal. I, nor my deity, nor ... others, are keen on undead. Normally I'm sent to deal with them, where ever I find them. None of that will continue if I end up dying here." He looks at Leothyc, trying to make eye contact, "How about this: a truce, essentially. I won't attempt to destroy your creations, as long as you don't use anyone from the ship." Turning slightly towards the other two survivors, "The other two apparently worked on the ship -- I just don't normally tolerate undead, but I doubt they'd be fine with seeing old friends and crewmates gurgling and shuffling around."

Hestia flicked her tail, the stinger swinging towards Leothyc, as Amadeus continued, "I can't deny you at least helped in the fight when you could have bolted."

Used Healing Hands on Serres (when tapping her shoulder) = heal 5HP

“Khndrum yem, mi kerek’ indz, mets k’uyr” the Lizard man says in strange voice as he lays there in the sand beneath Vesper’s spear. His face moves slightly left to right as he scans the beach looking for help that won’t come. You watch as he begins to slowly understand his situation.

With the battle finished and the excitement gone, you begin to hear once more the sound of the ocean crashing on the beach. The seabreeze brings the salty scent of the sea and cools your suntouched skin. Much has happened in the last several hours, your lives being at risk for much of it. For now it seems you are safe... once this scaled one is dealt with. Though you can’t be sure for how long.

"Your work being the destruction of mine." mutters Leothyc. Sighing, he says, "I shall acquiesce to your demands. However much the loss of possible data, survival and escape from this place trumps any desire to continue my research. So alright, I shall refrain from reanimating any of the ship's passengers or crew, and you will refrain from objecting to my work."

Glancing to the dead lizardman beside the now inert body of 1372, he looks back to the holy man with a sly smirk. "I am rather curious though. Do I take your words to mean that you consider non-civilized species to be mere beasts and monsters? I did not realize the church's mantra of protecting all living beings extended only to those that look like them."

Placing a gentle hand on her shoulder, he gave her an amused grin, "Seems like you made short work of the both of them." He looked over to where Leothyc stood, a slightly anxious expression on his face, as if he were awaiting his fate, and patted Serres' shoulder. "I know where they came from ... however I'm not sure about your last question."

“Mhmm...” Serres distractedly checked her cuts for inflammation. “Am I turning green?” She worridly asked the human. Feeling his pat on her shoulder she looked up. “You mean he wasn’t zombified by the ship wreck?” She followed him to the elf. Relief washed over her face and looked more rejuvenated at the news. “Do you think it is the island turning our dead into, well, undead?”

She glanced at the newest member of their mottled group of survivors and checked him over for any odd flumpiness, indicating zombiehood before being satisfied and holding out her hand for a friendly handshake. “Greetings, I am Serres. I am the guard at the Red Valiant. Or whatever is left of it at least. I hope the zombie and lizardmen didn’t cause you any harm.”

Disregarding whatever reply was forthcoming from the priest/paladin, Leothyc shifts his staff leisurely back to his side as he strolls past Amadeus to the armed female he had spied on the ship.
She glanced at the newest member of their mottled group of survivors and checked him over for any odd flumpiness, indicating zombiehood before being satisfied and holding out her hand for a friendly handshake. “Greetings, I am Serres. I am the guard at the Red Valiant. Or whatever is left of it at least. I hope the zombie and lizardmen didn’t cause you any harm.”

Grasping her hand, Leothyc raises it and leans forward before planting a candid kiss on her knuckles. "Charmed." he replies, gently letting go of the female's hand after the greeting. He knew the proper way to greet a lady, common rabble he is not. "I am Leothyc Sylwen. Researcher."

Noting her discomforted examination of both their persons, he clears his throat and speaks, "If I may ease your concern, only the bite of certain undead carry the mutagenic properties to 'infect' living beings with the same condition. Undead borne of a magical plague are common carriers. Most common domestic undead, such as my servant," A frown crosses his face before he clears it and continues, "whom you just slew, have no such properties."

Shifting his attention back to the lizard corpse, he walks past the Serres, saying, "If you will excuse me for the time being, I was promised a replacement specimen."

Glancing to the dead lizardman beside the now inert body of 1372, he looks back to the holy man with a sly smirk. "I am rather curious though. Do I take your words to mean that you consider non-civilized species to be mere beasts and monsters? I did not realize the church's mantra of protecting all living beings extended only to those that look like them."

Leothyc quickly shifted his attention to Serres as she approached behind Amadeus and began conversation. Amadeus however rolled his eyes at Leothyc's insinuations, thinking to himself and Hestia, "Why does he feel the need to constantly twist my words...?"

Hestia chirped softly and stretched leisurely around Amadeus' shoulders. "Lizard scared. Bird eat?" Her response threw him off a bit since it seemed to come without context, he couldn't help but mutter, "What?" under his breath. "Bird eat!" She repeated again, slightly more forceful, with her stinger pointing back towards the other crew member down the beach.

Walking past Leothyc as he began his preparations, and Serres who seemed to be trying to keep up with what she was seeing, Amadeus worked his way, once again, back towards where the large form of the crocodile lay. He felt slightly annoyed at all the back and forth he had done, feeling the sweat under his gear, though Hestia seemed to be enjoying all the sunbathing. Approaching the crocodile, Hestia lept off his shoulders, gliding back to the body and once more began trotting around, convinced she landed the killing blow.

"Hestia, enough, we still have things to deal with," Amadeus called out, mentally commanding her to return. She did so reluctantly, though not without a final pounce on the snout before flying back to her perch. Coming around the side of the beast, he saw before him one of the lizard creatures on the ground, with the bird-creature standing above them, spear kept steadily pointed at its throat.

"Seems we have a new friend for the moment, and potentially thinks you might try to eat him?" Hestia gave a low rumble towards the lizard on the ground as Amadeus patted her head gently. "My ah... Draconic goes through a little bit of a filter, one could say."

Serres felt uncomfortably in her element with the attention Leothyc was affording her ‘ladyship’. “Huh, even here in the middle of nowhere-wait, your servant? What do you mean your servant?” She was starting to get an unhappy sense why the dwarf was attacking the lizardman.

On one hand, she was glad to know the source of undead and that there was little chance of her being attacked in her sleep by an army of zombies.

On the other hand...Serres couldn’t think of any. This whole job was way above her usual meager pay grade.

She sighed in exasperation and ran up to the elf. “Isn’t resurrection, like, I don’t know, evil? It’s just, I am new to this whole solo guard thing and let me tell you this has been one hell of a first job already and don’t get me wrong meeting you all has been quite fantastic but I need to be able to find work again and I just wanted to make sure that I am not letting you do something that will get me in trouble.” Serres rambled on playing nervously with one of her belt loops.

Last edited:
Serres felt uncomfortably in her element with the attention Leothyc was affording her ‘ladyship’. “Huh, even here in the middle of nowhere-wait, your servant? What do you mean your servant?” She was starting to get an unhappy sense why the dwarf was attacking the lizardman.

Leothyc, crouching down and examining the reptilian body of the lizardman ('Oh this will provide such wondrous data') looks back up at the female peering over, nervous and confused. "While I much prefer my profession to be known as 'Researcher', there is another moniker ones such as 'The All Holy One' over there," he motions over to Amadeus, "would call me, Necromancer."
She ran to catch up with the elf. “Isn’t resurrection, like, I don’t know, evil? It’s just, I am new to this whole solo guard thing and let me tell you this has been one hell of a first job already and don’t get me wrong meeting you all has been quite fantastic but I need to be able to find work again and I just wanted to make sure that I am not letting you do something that will get me in trouble.” Serres rambled on playing nervously with one of her belt loops.

Shifting back to his examination, he continues, "I assure you I am not evil. My morals simply take secondary priority over my work. Most do not agree with such a mindset. Oh!" he exclaims before pausing and examining the chest area of the cadaver in detail. "My commendations for such a clean kill. This will do very nicely, yes." He picks up the staff that was set down, muttering "No bones broken.. Some muscle tensions, but that's to be expected... Fresh..."

The body was indeed ideal, and would make a fine replacement for 1372. However the ideal scenario would be to have both. But, such is life. Lizardfolk, if he is recalling the terminology correctly, are a species he has not encountered before. So there are many opportunities to be had here. Pity they must let the other one live.

Standing back up he smirks and remarks, "I would be happy to act as a character witness if that would allay your fears." Smirk fading, he motions to the body and asks, "Ms. Serres, the procedure will take some time and I would rather not perform it while in the blazing sun, would you kindly assist me in carrying the specimen over to that tree?"

Standing back up he smirks and remarks, "I would be happy to act as a character witness if that would allay your fears." Smirk fading, he motions to the body and asks, "Ms. Serres, the procedure will take some time and I would rather not perform it while in the blazing sun, would you kindly assist me in carrying the specimen over to that tree?"

Serres opened her mouth to argue some where but quickly gave up. Her world had been turned upside down so many times in the previous 24 hours alone that she couldn’t even begin to muster up the energy required to care about this new headache. This necromancer needed her assistance with resurrecting his next subject? Sure, why not. She would just add this new absurdity to the pile of existing absurdities.

She told herself that she wasn’t in any position to pick her teammates. If they had to get off this thrice-damned island they had to work together. That thought helped although it didn’t quite alleviate the queasiness in her stomach. She went over and reluctantly helped the elf carry his new lizard toy to the shade of a nearby tree.

"You are on your own now, I don't want anything further to do with this." She slapped her hand free from the sticky sand before a thought occurred to her. "You know, there is a way you could help make up for that nasty dwarf business of yours. Are you up for doing some incredibly menial, mind-numbing, drudge work for a good cause and to help clear your name?" Serres' smile was sweet but there was a shadow of something else in her face. "I hope that bag of yours was waterproof because you would need a lot of paper and ink."

Moved to 14V.

Last edited:
Having set the body down in the shade and arranging the limbs to a neutral position to prepare for reanimation, Leothyc directs a quizzical looks Serres' way. Her description of the request did not inspire confidence. "It is, though I would rather save my supplies." he replies. Supplies are limited when you are stranded, and Leothyc refuses to resort to taking notes on tree bark. However, sensing no ill-will from her expression, and factoring in the current situation, he says, "Let me guess. You require me to catalog the dead. Yes, given my background and medical expertise I am certainly capable."

He looks back to the cadaver, making sure everything is perfect. Deciding with a nod of acceptance that they as perfect as he can manage given the circumstances, he rises and shifts his staff forward. Glancing back Serres briefly, he continues, "Though I fail to see what benefit I may derive from such an endeavor. Proving innocence is unnecessary where there is no guilt." Sighing, he says, "Nonetheless, I recognize that cooperation is of some importance in this sort of scenario, so I shall consider your offer. Now, if you would rather not pay witness to my work, I recommend you make yourself useful in acquiring shelter."

With that parting remark, he summons power to his staff, coating it in a necromantic green glow, and begins the process of reanimating his new minion. 'You shall be known as 1373, and you shall be 'very' useful.'

Khndrum yem, mi kerek’ indz, mets k’uyr.”

Vesper made no reply, neither wishing to be misunderstood nor to lower her defenses. What an interesting tongue the creature spoke. She hoped they could find a way to communicate, and that there might be an outcome that didn't end in further bloodshed. She shook her feathers out. Clearly, this island held dangers that belied its quiet beauty. Maybe the lizardly warrior could guide them...

A sparkle of gold caught Vesper's eye; it was the lithe form of Hestia prowling about atop the dead crocodile again. Her handler appeared a moment after, looking none the worse for wear, and by his demeanor Vesper assumed the second lizardfolk fighter had been dealt with. Hestia glided to his shoulder.
"Seems we have a new friend for the moment, and potentially thinks you might try to eat him?" Hestia gave a low rumble towards the lizard on the ground as Amadeus patted her head gently. "My ah... Draconic goes through a little bit of a filter, one could say."
Vesper blinked, slow to understand. "Eat him? By the heavens, no." She glanced back down at her erstwhile enemy. Surely he didn't believe she wanted to eat him.

"If you have his tongue, please speak with him. He is iksūnungi – our captive. Eat him we will not. Indeed, if he and his fellow had not attacked us, they would not be laid low as they are. Name us, I bid you please, if you think he has understanding: Vesper, Amadeus, Hesh-tia, young Serres – eh, where is the fellow with whom you went to speak? Hr'reen! Not dead, surely?"

Last edited:
"Mm, well, as I said my Draconic isn't entirely direct." With a smile he gestured to Hestia as she crawled down his arm to get a better view of the creature on the ground, its eyes flickering between the spear point and the new figure.

"While it's a little bit of an awkward way to learn it, it's nice to've eventually learned your name, Vesper. The fellow I went to speak with is ... definitely not dead, though you may see an interesting sight all the same." Amadeus leaned against the large form of the crocodile, adjusting himself slightly until he was comfortable, as he watched the lizard creature on the ground while Hestia glided to Vesper, landing on her shoulder, peering around the various feathers.

Looking at Vesper again, Amadeus couldn't help but feel something was different -- it wasn't until he watched Hestia climb around Vesper's small shoulders that he noticed the small cloak of a sort that she had worn earlier was missing. He almost felt ashamed that he had looked so long, catching sight of the wing-stump as Vesper shifted her weight slightly from Hestia's scrambling. He couldn't help checking the placement of his own small cloak as his mind thought for a moment, before returning to the task at hand.

"Honestly, I'm not entirely certain this one understands us, but we can still try. It'll be a little rough, still, maybe we can learn some things." Speaking softly to Hestia, trying to get her attention, Amadeus cooed, "Hestia, my Hestia, I need you to do something only you can do." Hestia turned her head towards Amadeus, tilting slightly in an unasked question. "Will you speak to this one for us? See if he'll tell you a few things: why they attacked, how long have they been here, have any others arrived before ... and have they ever left the island?"

Hestia snapped her long tail like a small whip as she chattered in excitement, crawling down Vesper's arms and towards the spear point, her gaze focused on the lizard still waiting to learn its fate. "Say loud! Why attack! Here long? Others before? Leave, yes no?"

It felt odd to Amadeus the few times Hestia turned her telepathy to another target. He was so used to her constant chatter, it helped block out everything else that tried to catch his attention. He watched as she curled herself around the spear, bringing her stinger close to the lizards face, as the rest of the usual noise started to creep back in. He internally sighed, waiting for Hestia's interrogation to lead to a response.

"Rrakh!" the Lizardfolk exclaimed, his eyes widening as his limbs shifted in surprise. "Durs im glukhs p’vok’rik vishapits’." he demanded. He remembered the spear at his throat and now seeing the stinger also approaching he was reminded he had little choice but to respond. So, he continues... "Duk’ tarorinak zruyts’ yek’ tarorinak skalekin: Menk’ vorsordner yenk’ yev dzknabutsarannery pahanjum yen turk’: Im ts’eghy aystegh aprel e bazmat’iv yeghanaknerov, bayts’ dzknorsnery misht tirum yen: Nrank’ khndrum yen p’ap’uknerin, yev menk’ gtnum yenk’ drank’."

Amadeus was disturbed from his wandering thoughts as he heard the rough speech emerge from the captive. He watched Hestia's reaction, trying to judge if it was threats or actual information.

She trilled softly, evidently happy with something that was said. She motioned with her stinger near the lizard's face again as Amadeus felt her telepathic bond shift back to him. "Called dragon! Yes, I dragon!" Amadeus hid a smile with his hand before replying mentally, "I've always known you're a dragon, but what else did they say?"

On the spear Hestia turned to look towards Amadeus, constantly adjusting to keep her position on the small spear. "Lizard -- hunter. Island long. Fishkind? Rule? Tribute?" Hestia flicked her small tongue towards Amadeus, her equivalent of a concerned gesture, "Want 2-leg -- no take! My 2-leg!" She hissed back towards the lizard on the ground, repeating the same thought to him, though more forcefully.

Amadeus could tell Vesper was waiting for information, and potentially a little annoyed at Hestia clambering all over her. He coughed slightly, "Keep in mind, this is a rough translation: seems like these lizards are mostly hunters. Maybe not entirely aggressive towards us. Sounds like there's a group above them though that wants ... castaways? People that land on the island that don't belong here, at the very least." He waved a hand in the air, "Take that as you will. Not sure how much more detailed it can get, if you have any questions you'd like to ask."

An unexpected tremor of delight ran through Vesper when Amadeus' pseudodragon landed on her shoulder. Such a small thing, such a friendly weight. She held her weapon steady when Hestia coiled around the haft, beginning her silent interrogation. The entire process was tense but fascinating.

---

Listening to Amadeus as he repeated back the spotty information Hestia was able to communicate, Vesper nods slowly. "Thank you, Amadeus. And thank you, Hesh – Hestia. Beyond valuable is this report. Auka-war, how much better do we see our way." Inwardly, she mused with some doubt. How do we land together safely on resolution? Cautiously, lest this ship of survivors finds itself trapped by a lee shore.

It finally occurs to Vesper what Amadeus had said at first, and her eyes flash. "Ah! My name I did not give? Forgive me, please. Pah! What a day we have had already." She utters a low croaking sound by way of a laugh. "Please, let us name ourselves to this fellow and perhaps gain his. If watchful are we, and delicate in our maneuvers, we might gain an ally, or at least he may do no more harm."

Vesper flexes her wings absently – her right stump itched – and brings them together again, the left neatly folded over her brown-gray back. She pulls her spear back marginally and fixes the hunter with her golden gaze. I wonder if he could understand better if I name my birth-name to him? Suit his tongue and mind better, it might. Vesper taps herself on the chest and says, "Sh'kikree." She gestures toward Amadeus. "Shall you name yourself? Perhaps our Hestia will help us in this. And have her say that we do not wish to hurt him, though we are powerful hunters."

She considers the lizardman again for a moment, hand yet outstretched to Amadeus. Then, with great deliberation, she pulls back her spear, gently tips Hestia off toward Amadeus, and plants it in the ground. She stands as tall as she can, flexes her talons, and declares, "Tell him, please, that his life is mine. Sh'kikree's." She taps her chest once more. "And that I desire him to live. Help him, we can – and his people."

Amadeus couldn't help his eyes tending to drift back to Vesper's wings, until he noticed she was bringing her spear up, encouraging Hestia to return to her perch. Hestia leaped and landed along his arm, her talons digging into his leathers as she scrambled up.

He had to admit he was surprised Vesper was removing the spearpoint from the lizard's face, and hoped it wasn't going to be a mistake. He rubbed under Hestia's chin as he murmured to her, "Hestia, my Hestia, seems you have yet more conversation to do." He felt her head bump into his jaw as he mentally heard, "Yes -- want call dragon again! What say?"

Louder he spoke to Vesper, "Let's hope it's that easy ... though if you really want him to believe we're helping, he maybe shouldn't look past the dead crocodile..." as he continued to Hestia in his mind, "Explain to him that his life now belongs to Vesp-- ... Sh'kikree. She wants to help him and his people if possible, and remind him how strong we are. She also apparently wants him to know our names."

Hestia gave a confused chirp as she listened. "Yes, strong. Am dragon!" She shifted her attention back to the lizard on the ground who was trying to understand what was going on.

"We strong! You belong bird! Sh'kikree! Bird help! Help tribe, yes. Name, you? Us name -- Hessstia! Dragon! 2-leg, Amaadayuss! My 2-leg!" She hissed again for emphasis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread