• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Lost in Words

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
The rustling of paper is like an old friend. From the day you were born, if you could even call the fall from the Chute by a name so sentimental, the creasing and crinkling of paper has been wistfully familiar to you; And today, it has once again decided to pay you a visit. Be you in the Alexandria, the Shallows, or even the Depths, one day you hear the hailing of a courier, and a neatly-written letter is pushed into your hands. Upon it, the emblem of the Translators shines bright and bold, and an invitation most jovial calls upon your services.

Greetings, friend!

I hope this letter finds you in good health, and I am writing to you today as one Professor James. Though I certainly hope that my name precedes me, I will introduce myself as a long time Translator, the 'Author', if I could be so bold as to claim the title, of works such as 'Le Morte d'Arthur', and 'Children's and Household Tales'. My egotism aside, I write to you not just to brag of my efforts; Rather, I have an offer, a plea, a business opportunity or whatever term would strike your fancy the most.

Two weeks from now, that is to say from the day you receive this letter, I plan to conduct an expedition from these comforting walls of Alexandria, and out into the Inner Depths. For those veterans who receive this message, I'm sure the task seems a rather dull one, but I assure you that the company I've selected will prove itself good and swell. And to those of you who might be wondering why exactly one of your profession would be needed on this expedition, worry not! I assure you that you all will be of use. Do not think me a waster of resources!

Finally, as ugly as the topic of payment is, I am more than happy to compensate you for your services. We can discuss any particular fees in person, but I am ready and able to pay you quite handsomely in Signatures, or maybe even a favor or two if you are so inclined. I've heard that Translators make for quite the handy friend, especially for an audacious explorer!

With all that said, I do hope to see you when our appointed time comes! We'll likely be departing as soon as our party has assembled, but should any of you want to stay a morrow or two, I am willing to wait.

In good health,
Professor James

Depending on your temperament, it might seem like a joke. Its informal tone, and flagrant disregard for any sort of business-like conduct seem to signal it as the work of some overambitious amateur, or scammer trying to rob you of... Your time, perhaps. But, you might note, delivery services in this day and age are not cheap, especially if you reside off the beaten, well-explored paths. Perhaps there's something to the invitation, and what could the harm be in lending some fool with too much money to throw around an ear for a moment or two?

Whatever your motivation, before long those two weeks have passed and you find yourself in the bustling streets of Alexandria. Whether you call it home, or you've not paid it any heed for uncountable years, the sight of the Great Chute lurking overhead stirs within you memories of your own fall from its shadowed depths. Upon the ground you once so gracelessly barreled into, now lays a mottled padding, a rather recent addition in the grand scene of things, as well as a sprinkling of notice boards and stalls. Among them, however, you do not find your would-be benefactor, but instead a quickly scrawled set of notes, plastered across the boards without regard for whatever it is that now lays beneath them.

To those who will be entering my services, please be patient!

Something curious has come up, so I will be a tad late! Make merry with our new companions in my absence!

- Professor James

Unfortunately, almost stroke for stroke, its handwriting matches the content of the letter.

MinaShe hated this letter and everything it stood for. She had not even reached past the first sentence, and she was already hoping for the author to roll over and choke. The cursive penmanship that looked playfully back at her from the parchment seemed to be taunting her, and the cloying tone of the letter made her sick. Whomsoever penned this letter was, at a moment’s glance, a ne’er-do-well who had too much time on his hands, and too little care for this world and what dolls thought. This Professor James (she had never heard of the name) claimed not to be a brag, but this begged of the question- then why bother listing his accolades? What was the use? Dissecting this letter was giving her conniptions, it was, and she had no mouth to express it. How extremely frustrating, she thought huffily to herself, and continued to read the rest of the letter. Her curiosity yet to be sated, she had to finish reading the letter, even if it meant that she would have to kick something, or someone, just to get the irritation off her chest.

Her eyes widened just ever so slightly at the mention of a journey out into the Inner Depths. That was where Harker went. And never came back from, she reminded herself. She moved her gaze from the letter to the doctor’s bag that sat beside her. Perhaps it was time to stop waiting, she thought to herself, one hand reaching over to the handle of the bag, as if it would give her strength. She quickly withdrew her hand, and returned her attention to the letter. Sentimentality got no one no where, this she had learned. Clinging on to fragments of hope gave no one strength. It was by one’s own determination to continue that gave them strength. How else had she lived for all these years then? How else had all those she treated lived? It was their determination that saw them crawling to her for help, and it was by their own determination that they stood up and walked again. This was the truth as she knew it, and no one would dissuade her from it.

She scowled at the remainder of the letter, and once she was done reading the rest of the message, her scowl deepened further. There was promise of Signatures, but if the sender knew her patterns well enough to have predicted just where she would be to have the deliveryboy bring the letter to her, then they too must know that she was not one who took Signatures. The mention of ‘favors’ seemed tailored to her. This was worrying. Was she of so much import and positive repute that required so much looking into? Or was this just an onset of paranoia, and she was reading too much in between the lines? She made a muffled sound of irritation, and folded the paper up into half, then half again, and chucked it into her bag. She would probably forget about this letter in the two weeks to come, knowing her own schedule. She made no plans to reply to the letter, nor acknowledge it. Rather, she packed her things, and set off to continue her work.

She would have liked to forget, but unfortunately for the dog-eared doll, the letter remained a stain on her mind, ever present, and ever distracting. Every end of the day, when she thought to lay her head down to rest, she was reminded of the letter’s contents. Every item that she accepted from her suppliers, she was reminded of the rewards. Every doll she treated, she was reminded of how perilous the journey out into the Depths was. She would have liked to believe that she came to the meeting venue on her own volition, by accident, looking for new clients to treat, but the it was unavoidable. Her bag heavy with supplies, there was only one truth to it. She came here because she was interested in the idea of venturing out into the Depths. Alexandria had many doctors, and she was just one of the many. Few would miss her if she left. There was always someone else to take her place after all.

More so than that, she wanted to prove to herself that some dolls were still trustworthy with their words. Could she trust this Professor James? Was there really an expedition? Or was it just a prank, a colossal waste of time? In the depths of her cotton-filled fluff, she wanted sorely to believe that it wasn't, and that she could take the words of this Professor James at he--

Her eyes glanced across the notice board just as she thought this, and her dour expression intensified. That handwriting seemed similar. Reaching into her bag, she pulled out the letter and strode right up to the notice board, holding the piece of paper up next to the notices tacked throughout the board, completely obscuring the other notices beneath it. The curls of the ‘s’s and the crosses of the ‘t’s were undeniably similar, and the way the rounder letters were written was almost a dead ringer for each other. She threw the letter on the ground with as much force as her arms could muster, and kicked the notice board with as much strength as her plush legs could muster. The board barely shuddered, but being able to kick something finally was of some comfort to her. How dare that charlatan be late! ‘Something curious’, he says! What unfortunate circumstances that would call him away was so of little import that it could be called ‘curious’? She kicked the notice board again, and gave a muffled expression of frustration, something between a huff of anger and a squeak of frustration.

[class=Notes] // Forward slashes are comments and do no show up in the final design, these are to help you find everything easily and explain some code as well. These comments must be with in a class or script tags in order to be hidden, from what I know// // Long URls are images # followed by letter and numbers are Hex codes or color codes.// // This code does not show breaks unless is shows the
code When typing responses to rps, be aware that when you press enter it will not show that you did. You'll have to use the
tags// [/class] [class=BackgroundPicture] Background:url(https://ak7.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/16632637/thumb/12.jpg); Padding:30px; //The background image that become the border// [/class] [class=BackgroundColor] padding:30px; background-color:#3A403B; color:#E0F2E3; //the solid block of color that makes the border appear as a border all your content will be in this box// [/class] [class=Name] float:right; margin-bottom:10px; text-align:center; border-radius:5px; background-color:#000000; padding:5px; color:#fdecff; width:calc(100% - 35% - 33px); //The Box around the name// [/class] [class=Img] border-right:20px SOLID #3A403B ; border-bottom:10px SOLID #3A403B ; width:30%; float:left; //this class has a border to create a false margin so the horizontal lines don't appear to go behind the image if you change the back ground you have to change the colors here too// [/class] [class=Image] border:3px SOLID #2d78bd; line-height:0px; //The border around the image// [/class] [class=Line] border-top:3px SOLID #000000; margin-top:10px; margin-bottom:10px; //The tiny lines everywhere// //You can see here they have a set width, which is the shorter length, the bottom two lines have a specific 'style' which overrides what happens here to make them full length. if you need longer lines, copy and paste the style from the bottom two (be careful, they float right, making them too big at the top messes the code up) If you need the bottom lines to be shorter, delete the Style=" and such// [/class] [div class="BackgroundPicture"] [div class="BackgroundColor"] [div class="Img"] [div class="Image"] 9859ce8e7c76f3063cf7506d00650dff.jpg [/div][/div] [div class="Name"] Vasílissa[/div]

Interacting: simj26 simj26
Mentioned: --
Setting: Alexandria Plaza [div class="Line"][/div] She was sitting, watching the chute with an intense stare that seemed to never end. Soulless eyes gaping up, waiting for more prey. It seemed like hours she did this, watching from the small hole in her home that she called a window. A sharp knock awoke her from this daze, her head whipped around--A single drop of what seemed melted rubber fell from her face. Anger, it could consume the doll so easily. She sighed, and arose from her chair.

"Enter."

A wooden doll, dressed to the half of the nines; entered with the utmost dignity. "Ma'dam, a letter arrived for you." They handed it off. "I believe it is from someone of high standing, I recommend reading it." They said before quickly exiting. Such haste showed fear.

She opened the letter, her eyes skimming over it. A translator? A chance for favors, or signatures? She made a small 'Hm' noise before setting the opened letter on a nearby table. What a shame--This fool was going to be robbed blind by her. She sat down once more, looking at the shoot for any type of doll to fall. She tapped her fingers impatiently and waited.

"My lady?" The same wooden doll with the soft tone entered once again. "Are you going to be accepting it?" When the lady muffled out a 'Hm?'. "The letter's containments, it's been two weeks my lady. Are you going to be traveling?"

She sighed, before looking at the chute again. Nothing had happened. Not that she saw. Though, she doubts she would miss anything with her vigilant eye. She could tell a dolls material by the way they shone in the light. It was a little talent of hers. She saw a few stuffed and small wooden dolls fall--But that's nothing out of the ordinary. So, with a heavy heart she removed herself from her chair. "Yes, paycheck is downstairs--Take a single signature more than what was given and I sha'll have your hands removed." She always used the same warning, but it carried that promise all the same.

Walking through the bustling streets was no easy task for a doll, even for one of her standing. Anyone who dared step even a toe into her personal space usually ended up complaining about the stickiness that got on their feet. It kept a good amount of people away from her, but every now and then people would bump into her; obviously trying to swipe something of hers. She usually let it go, and pushed them down with the utmost force. She didn't have time for petty squabble.

Walking to the designated area, she had looked upon the board. "What a shame." She spoke slowly. She then looked over to the silly looking nurse doll. What large ears they had! Probably the better to heal dolls with. She chuckled, introducing herself. "Greetings, did you also get the strange note from a translator?"
[div class="Line"][/div] [/div]
Code by @AgWordSmith
[/div]

53580365ba70872fb49d6582a3bdf145.jpg

Et Cetera

INTERACTIONS: SoftSmile SoftSmile
MENTIONS: SoftSmile SoftSmile && simj26 simj26 (As offhanded as some of the mentions are, anyway)

A busy street was hardly the place Cetera wanted to be stopped for a chat of any sort. It allowed for the easy pickpocket or an unintentional roadblock in an already fast-paced location. And yet, down a walkway paved in wooden boards in a market, came a curious fellow donning the uniform of a courier. A fellow headed right for him with a sheepish yet determined gleam in his eye. Try as he may to evade them (even if he was curious about why such a doll would be seeking him of all people out), Cetera was eventually caught by the courier in the tiny space between two stalls. At the very least, he hoped they were at least a little apologetic about the entire ordeal. He knew he himself was, once all was said and done.

A tilt of a hat and an outstretched arm later and the scholar was a few signatures lighter and one letter heavier. He couldn’t help but be a touch flustered as some other dolls here and there gave him a curious glance - or an irritated glare, depending on whether or not they’d been held up by his fleeing antics or not, he supposed. Nonetheless, it was an ostentatious display and quite the headache just to deliver a letter. And to him no less! Frankly, he knew not of a single doll who would go through such lengths to tell him something.

And my, what a strange letter it was.

Still, the opportunity to explore the Inner Depths was one Cetera couldn’t so readily dismiss. He'd dreamed of the day he would be able to explore beyond the mere taste of their world he'd been fortunate enough to conquer and it seemed as if it finally was upon him. The thought led him to grip gently to the worn scarf around his neck and think back to the events, and the dolls, that led him to his current station as a scholar. He could finally fulfil his promise! It was almost too good to be true.

Skepticism and hopes aside, the call of adventure beckoned him and the doll could do little more than obey. Now, signatures were only alluring to an extent, but he recalled the benefits of having a translator around. Especially one so wealthy who could potentially be convinced to fund future expeditions if this one in particular went well. Maybe he could even humbly request a continuation of his previous teachings by his former master. Favours of the wealthy were a currency hard to come by. Truly, his mind was made up even if he did continue to pretend at pondering over his decision.

Two Weeks Later.
Two weeks passed by in a blink of an eye and Cetera once again found himself beneath the Great Chute, the very place where everything began. He couldn’t help but reach up and touch the crack beneath his eyes. A grimace would’ve flashed across his face if the porcelain mold would have allowed the full movement. He quickly cast his gaze away from the familiar place and the memories it brought forth, opting instead to take in his surroundings in hopes of finding the meeting place before he was too late.

The notice boards caught his attention before the other dolls did and he strode right up to one, learning forward to inspect it. Careful porcelain fingers traced over the letters and after tracing the last, Cetera couldn’t help but let out a disappointed sigh. ‘Figures.’ He thought to himself, straightening his posture once more. The letter was quickly tugged from its safe place in the bag around his waist and a visual comparison between the writing on the letter and the noticeboard was conducted once, twice, then thrice. Much to his dismay, there was no denying that the authors were one and the same. He couldn't hope to convince himself of otherwise if he tried.

Disappointment gave way to embarrassment for becoming so enthused about something so shrouded in mystery and promise. The temptation arose to just abandon the silly notion of a wild adventure, he very nearly walked away because of it. The disappointed doll only noticed the other dolls standing around at the very last second; all because he happened to overhear the mention of a 'note' from a translator. He paused his steps and looked over his shoulder, his eyes expressive in their confusion where his facial features were not.

“Excuse me?”

He interjected suddenly, unable to help himself when he turned around and held up his own note. He chanced at walking a bit closer to the others, still careful enough to keep a cautious distance between them and himself. Admittedly, he was so clouded by his own enthusiasm that he hadn’t stopped to consider the fact that others had received a similar invitation. Seeing a few of them already had him somewhat antsy. Especially when one had been taking their anger out on a notice board of all things. He made a mental note to make an effort not to upset them anytime soon.

“Pardon the interruption but the note wouldn't happen to mention an expedition to the Inner Depths by one mister..." A lapse in his words came as the doll stopped and quickly scanned over the aforementioned parchment for their benefactor's name. "...Professor James, now would it?" He'd soon finish.

Last edited:
No matter how many times he visited Alexandria, Bishop always found himself looking to the Great Chute. Many years had passed since he descended from the unreachable channel that birthed many Dolls, but the memories of that day were still fresh in his mind. Things had changed somewhat since then, one of the most obvious differences being the mat that had been set up. A simple addition that would make every Doll's first awakening a comfortable one. It was a stark contrast from his own, the painful experience permanently burned into his body. It would be a lie to say that he no longer had any lingering resentment, but that was the extent of the negative emotions that plagued him for so long. They were just the last dying embers of a once burning fire of hate. There was no more room for contempt in his heart. Even if scorch marks remained, his ill will and grudges no longer existed.

Looking away from the Chute, Bishop took in a much more pleasant sight. Despite living in seclusion, he did enjoy seeing the lively community during his routine visits. After separating himself from society for so long out of necessity and obstinacy, it was a pleasure to see the Dolls going about their ordinary lives, something that used to be unthinkable for him. Although, he felt a tad awkward walking around the city without an assortment of goods to deliver. Thankfully, his usual delivery had been made not too long ago, but he felt bad about potentially getting someone's hopes up, his appearance always signaling the arrival of new items for the Dolls to use. He only ever visited places like this when he intended to hand out clothes and whatever toys he had been working on at the time, so arriving now was beyond unusual. This sudden visit was owed entirely to the letter that had been delivered to him two weeks ago.

Removing the paper from his pocket, Bishop read over the message one last time, its contents still providing him with mixed feelings. Even before reading what the sender had to say, he was already surprised by the delivery. Messenger services weren't very cheap, especially for those delivering to his residence. He lived on a border of sorts, an invisible line that marked the separation between Dolls and Mites. In spite of its proximity to the dangerous creatures, it was a safe place to live, but not one that many individuals were eager to visit. The matter must've been of great importance if someone was willing to venture so far to contact him. Well, that's what he thought at first. After actually reading the letter, he wasn't quite sure.

He was familiar with Professor James, or to be more specific, he was familiar with his works. Bishop read the Translator's notable projects, which he wasn't too shy to list in his letter. His request wasn't unusual, as many Scholars sought aid during their expeditions. However, he found it strange that the man requested him personally. While he did have plenty of experience with the Inner Depths, it was a mystery why someone would choose to contact him out of all Dolls, especially a man as notable and prolific as Professor James. Aside from those who he delivered goods to, Bishop never had any extended contact with anyone. It was truly perplexing.

While he still had questions about this expedition and his role in it, the circumstances behind it did not impact his decision very much. This was partly because he knew that his questions could only be answered by Professor James himself, but mostly because of the opportunities that were being presented to him. Bishop was a charitable man that did not want for much, but he could not deny that the promise of a reward was tempting. Signatures would be fine compensation for many, but he was mainly interested in the potential favors that the Translator spoke of. If a man in his position owed him a debt, there would be a wide range of possibilities opened up for him. Many thoughts floated through his mind, each pertaining to the promise of a favor. If he accepted the proposal, he'd need to carefully consider what he would ask of his employer. It may not have been a stretch to say that anything was possible. He understood the scope, but his ideas were limited. While he had numerous thoughts, each of them were about his beloved Annabelle. At a time when he was feeling naively hopeful, this opportunity arrived. However, his rational side reminded him that there was only so much that was possible. If nothing else, the expedition would make for an excellent opportunity to attend to his personal search. After all, travelling as a group would open many doors that were normally closed to those who explored alone.

Bishop had given it a lot of thought, but he was already leaning toward acceptance. His current attire was proof of that. Rather than the large cloak he usually wore into the city, he dressed more appropriately for an expedition, avoiding any long or bulky clothes. Even if his questions made the job sound less appealing, and he decided to return home, it was better to arrive prepared.

While searching for the spot where he was meant to meet his prospective employer, Bishop took notice of the three Dolls gathered around the notice board. The board itself was obscured, but he could easily hear the trio speaking amongst themselves. It seemed as though this would be a diverse group. That could be a good thing during an expedition.

"It would seem so." Answering the porcelain Doll's question, Bishop approached the group from behind, offering a smile that accentuated the thin lines underneath his eyes. "Please forgive my rudeness." Placing a gloved hand on his chest, he bowed his head, causing long hair to brush against his cheeks. "My name is Bishop. It's a pleasure to meet you all."

Looking at the shorter Dolls with gentle eyes, he made a few quick observations. Like himself, the porcelain one seemed to have suffered some damage. While less noticeable than the crack, one of his glass spheres appeared to have been replaced. He could only hope that the reason for the man's injuries didn't cause him too much suffering. He knew all too well how painful the history behind wounds could be.

The shortest among them was a plush Doll that resembled a doctor. If her skills matched her appearance, then she would definitely be a very valuable companion to have during the expedition. The Inner Depths were dangerous, filled with Mites and a wide range of hidden traps just waiting to be tripped. Having someone that could treat injuries could easily be the difference between life and death.

Finally, there was the Doll with the most unique appearance. It was certainly a rare sight, the area around her being covered in a strange substance that resembled her body. It was very interesting to observe. In addition, the clothing she wore paired well with her appearance. The dress was quite lovely, reminding him of a few in his home that remained unfinished.

Turning his attention to the board, Bishop observed the notes that had been hastily clipped to it. Without a doubt, this was the work of Professor James. "It seems as though we'll be waiting for a while." It was disappointing, but he didn't dwell on the man's absence for very long. Like the note said, this would be an opportunity to learn more about his future companions.

ambition ambition SoftSmile SoftSmile simj26 simj26

• 38A73B27-E39A-4A2E-A2E4-63458A6A469D.jpeg
    Interacting With:
    Mina ( simj26 simj26 ),
    Nearby:
    Bishop ( Lucem Lucem ), Et Cetra ( ambition ambition ), Vasilissa ( SoftSmile SoftSmile )
    ~Near the Chute~
    Bright Lights, Big City || Locket’s CS File
    Locket was interested in the letter if for nothing other than it provided a change for something new. Part of her knew Lady Key would never take an offer from a stranger, which disappointed her but she understood where the woman was coming from. So rather than bore the woman with reasoning of why they should take it she decided to hide the letter away only looking at it after the woman left the room. What made it better was that the letter seemed to have a few different people it aimed to pull, imagine all the new people! Even though she figured she wouldn't join them she still wanted to watch the meeting place. After all a doll could dream.

If she was being honest part of this lingering draw to the letter was the sheer amount of time they’d stayed in the city. It’d been a few weeks since their last journey into the depths, mainly because both her and Lady Key had been injured in the last trip out, but she already was itching to return. While Locket’s Cloth had been easily sewed up Lady Key had halted before getting repaired for some reason. Even so with them being together for a century and change she’d begun to get rather used to Lady Key’s rather rare oddities. After all that the woman taught her she couldn’t bring herself to rush the woman back into the hazardous place.

“Locket? Does that letter interest you that much?”

Without meaning to Key had managed to make her nearly jump out of her stitching. She shoved the letter behind her back as the other hand began to gesture widely in a panic.

“NO! I mean yes but not because I want to go, because I do but. NO I DON’T. Ughhh Lady Key I know you say that strangers are sketchy but there’s going to be new people going into the depths! And more this professor could be someone who we know since they knew how to contact us. Orrrr it could be meant for someone else which wou-”

“Locket breathe. If the letter interests you then I won’t hold you back. Don’t get attached to leaving, if it seems the group is poorly outfitted return. But it can’t hurt to look. Scholars need to be flexible so learning to unite with others will help you.”

Part of her wanted to argue that Key never works with other beyond Locket themselves, and that hardly counted since Locket followed her in even before she’d been given her name. The majority knew that this was going to be the only chance for approval. She didn’t want to risk making Key mad again. The last time that happened Key wouldn’t talk to her for three years!

She was quick to rush into their little corner of travels. In her own excitement she couldn’t really see the need for that many things and tossed in some of the smaller buttons to her bag. That left her the large button as a shield the holes in the button were filled with thread to make a handle and button while not heavy covered half her torso or her whole head. That along with her pretty stick would be more than enough for a trip in. She hesitated with a quick look back.

“Okay, I’ll see you when I get back Lady Key!”

———-

With a few loops around the town she managed to find the right road to the destination. She didn’t quite realize how heavily she didn’t know the area until she wasn’t following someone, even without Lady Key there was always Sun or Above or Rabbit. It seemed it really was going to be a chance to meet someone knew if she had attached so fiercely to Key’s group.

Lucky she wasn’t entirely new to them all as she caught sight of a familiar set of dog ears. In an instant she went running ready to pounce. She threw her hands up and aimed for a running hug.

“MINA”

Oh how exciting, how wonderful it was. A twist of fate like this, how could it even be put into words? The fall of a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed Newborn Doll was hardly a rare event, but on today of all days, now of all hours, this morning of all mornings; He just couldn't hide his elation, surely this was a sign, an omen sent from that great, looming thing they called the Chute, that this adventure of his would be one to remember! Not just for him, but for his friends! For all Dollkind!

Rapt in his glee, Professor James prodded and pulled at his new companion- for how could he not have them accompany him- with an elation unbecoming of one of his stature. Certainly, rather than a seasoned Translator, he seemed more akin to the newborn in front of him, perhaps presented with one of those lovely workings that Mister Bishop would so often put forth.

Ah, speaking of. He still had an appointment to keep, did he not?

"So, my lovely new friend-" Not ceasing his inquisitive poking and prodding, the Professor spoke to the delightfully plush doll he'd set himself upon with a merry tone. "I believe I've explained the best features of our little Alexandria, and as much of a cozy place as it is, I've a much better offer for you than starting your life in regularity." Finishing his inspections with a half-hearty, half-violent slap to the back, the Professor pulled himself from his self-proclaimed friend, and hurried to the door. He'd not even bothered to remove his travel-pack in his haste to bring his new companion up to speed, so there was little more between him and setting off once more than, well, his new companion.

"I explained to you the basics of the Inner Depths, no? Well, in a wonderful turn of events, it'd seem that I'm off to them today! Isn't it lovely? Isn't it strange that you'd fall on today of all days? Into my lap of all laps?" His mind as alight as ever, the Translator's frame practically bristled with cheer. "It's only sensible that you'd accompany me, no? That is to say, let us be off! Don't worry yourself over supplies, I'm sure we'll be able to scrounge up a knick or a knack for you along the way!"

Then, finally, with a swish of his cape and a click of his heel, he flew from the door, continuing his excited rant under the mere assumption that the plush will both follow along, and keep a steady pace.

"I must confess, it's been quite an age since I ventured beyond this comfortable city borders myself. Not since I was but a lad, really! Terrible business; Business that convinced me to the fact the Scholar work was just not the right fit for me. But you! You, my babe of a friend, you have this whole wide, frightening world laid out in front of you! A canvas full of possibilities! And in this age of ours, how wasteful, how shameful would it be for one to not fling paint at it at a moment's notice? Youth should be the height of one's recklessness! Live! Love! Lose! Three Ls to live and die for! Though, I wouldn't worry oneself too much about that latter half, we've quite the party waiting us! A Nurse, a Toymaker, even a Tyrant! And many more, let me assure you."

On the streets of Alexandria, this sight was not an uncommon one. The voice of Professor James, among many other madcap old Dolls, would often holler throughout the streets, reaching ears of temperaments both positive and negative, more often than not without a care in the world for either.

A sound much rarer, however, followed in his wake. All but drowned out by the chatter of the crowd, contributed to in no small part by himself, a faint clattering rang out. If one were blind, it would have been a curious thing, but that was hardly a common affliction in this day and age; Rather, the source was as plain as day. Scattered across his body, from the tip of his cape to the top of his head, countless trinkets and baubles had found themselves woven in. Against the blue of his clothes, an unnatural spattering of grey and gold shone out across his body, a garishly bold display of metals of all shades, affixed to his person as either some display of status, or foolishness. Most brazen of all, even his face was adorned, sealed away by a heavy, triangular bronze mask that looked to be about as practical as any of his other accessories.

That is it say, not at all.

More than anything, they were what drew gazes in his direction; Even his rude, shameless exclaimations as he wandered down the streets of Alexandria couldn't compare. Some were confused, others awed, others filled with contempt, but just as many passed over him with a jaded apathy. He was hardly a shy man, that much was clear even to a stranger, and he'd called this place home for many, many years. So it was only natural that some would have grown accustomed to his little song and dance.

But what a dance it was. Even as he grew near to his destination, that great and nostalgic Chute, he continued to ramble on about this and that, only passing the odd, cursory gaze over his shoulder to check as to his companions whereabouts, before promptly determining the crowd to be too thick to be sure. Among his waiting- patiently, he hoped- companions, there might have been a perceptive few that could match his tone to his letter as easily as they did his handwriting, recognizing his arrival even before his break from he crowd, and merry announcement of his presence.

"My dearest friends! Apologies for my lateness, but I assure you the matter was of quite the import!" Without a hint of shame, he strode into the center of the lot a took a headcount, giving a satisfied nod to himself once he'd finished. "To introduce myself in person, I am one Professor James, proprietor of this venture as a new friend to you all! At least I should very much hope I am." It wasn't quite the full roster he'd been hoping for, the lateness of the bard in particular stung his heart, but it would do for the moment. Alexandria wasn't built in a day, so he could very much take an hour or two to await any stragglers.

"Now, I'm sure you all have your questions. Especially as to the identity of the strange, strapping Doll who's decided to seek you out for this fun little venture of ours, but before you get to the old Q and A, I'd like to introduce my lovely little curiosity!" A hard clap ringing out from between his palms, he motioned said curiosity forward, assuming that he'd managed to keep up with him in the chaos of the city at large.

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R simj26 simj26 SoftSmile SoftSmile ambition ambition Lucem Lucem BriiAngelic BriiAngelic

The young doll's head was full of questions, but he never got a chance to ask any. He had landed on a walking encyclopedia in his first moments of life, who had given him a crash course on... basically the entire world. And, seemingly, taken him on as an apprentice.

Apprentice? The doll asked himself, surprised at the foreign word showing up in his own monologue.

It's like a person who learns a skill from someone else, such as swordplay, tailoring, or in this case, adventuring.

The knowledge came to the doll as if he knew all along and merely forgot; the definition, however, left him with more questions, resulting in the first few hours of his life being preoccupied with a rapidly-expanding vocabulary.

The doll was so preoccupied with his vocabulary, in fact, that he nearly missed the aforementioned walking encyclopedia, who addressed himself as Professor James, turning on a heel and trotting out the door. In the younger doll's haste to catch up, his foot (which was more or less a stump at the end of his leg) hit the doorframe and tripped him.

The doll wasn't excited for the experience of falling on one's face, but it turned out he had nothing to worry about; the two wings on his lower back kicked in and granted him enough lift to not face-plant into the ground. I didn't know I could do that, the doll thought, distracted from his own mind as he caught up to the Professor.

It was hard to keep up given the entourage the Professor had drawn; the young doll was told his so-called mentor's reflective trinkets were made of an unfathomably rare substance, yet he thought the sheer quantity the Professor had on his person contradicted that claim until he saw the crowd the baubles had drawn.

By the time the young doll caught up, Professor James was already at the Great Chute that the doll had tumbled out of just hours prior. Gathered around it were several others, and the young doll felt underdressed among them. Quite an understatement, seeing as he had no clothes at all.

The Professor beckoned the young doll into the clearing, and as he stepped forward, a voice blurted, "I... Can fly...?"

The young doll put a hand to his snout, surprised to hear his own thoughts out loud.

simj26 simj26 SoftSmile SoftSmile @ambition Lucem Lucem BriiAngelic BriiAngelic The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit

Once upon a time, in the depths of the library, there sat a small townhouse at the edge of a square. And in this townhouse lived a wind-up composer, and his wife.

The young fellow, Wilford Winds, had long since unplugged his winding key, such now becoming a secret to all but his beloved, a wooden dancer with the lovely name of Madeline, one of an army of second-fiddles at a local dance-hall, eternally pacing behind a porcelain front-runner who eternally evoked Wilford's ire for one single, ever-present reason: a complete lack of rhythm.

Ah, but Madeline--such a simple form made the purity of her dancing all the more surprising; a crime of art, indeed, that she not be the star she deserved to be--or, at least, so said Wilford, a lowly busboy and occasional composer for this very same music hall. And for quite some time now, dear Wilford had given himself something of a mission: the creation of a ballet of great promise, a performance of such stunning grace and motion that only Madeline would be able to dance it. Perhaps, perhaps, were the audiences of Alexandria to gaze upon such a performance, they would finally recognize his beloved for the dancer she was.

And it was this simple (though, perhaps not) dream, of all things, that made Wilford all the more surprised when he received a letter from one Professor James, a man whom, despite the pompousness upon his page, the simple Mister Winds had never heard of.

---​

"I just don't understand what he'd want with a busboy," came the worried tones of Wilford Winds as he passed through one of Alexandria's many round-abouts, feverishly adjusting the tophat upon his carefully-carved head, as if fearing what would come about if it were anything but absolutely straight. "It's a scholarly expedition, of all things--what affinity could I possibly have for scholarly work?"

Next to him paced a doll in a flowing dress, bouncing orange string forming a facsimile of curled hair, brushing at his weathered tailed coat with an air equal parts doting and stern, "now dear, you and I both know that if we knew the ends of stories before they began, there would be absolutely no reason to read them." Her bright tone and bright eyes prompted the appearance of an embarrassed wobble in the musician's step, the fellow eventually giving up on his hat with a sigh. There was no truly telling whether or not the woman's words had brought him any comfort, yet it was clear that he was certainly making an effort to appear appeased, perhaps to ease the woman's own mind--not that her mind seemed more in need of ease than his. "And besides--" she stopped short as she pulled in front of him, cupping his jointed hands earnestly in hers, "this might be the inspiration that you've been waiting for!" Of course, the moment that Wilford had promised his wife that he'd write her a ballet, Madeline became just as excited about the idea as he. Indeed, should he ever perish the thought, there was quite the chance of the young woman taking up the task herself.

"I know, dear; I know." He glanced over his shoulder for a time, as if afraid that others within the crowded, ever-moving square would overhear their conversation, one among a hundred. "And that's why we're going today. At the very least, I'll give it a good and proper try." One hand pulled away from hers, an extended finger tapping lightly upon the other doll's nub of a nose. "For you."

In the moment just before a sudden and wide embrace, the woman appeared as if she wanted to melt, the odd expression of affection prompting a few odd stares from a few other dolls throughout the square. Their relation, after all, was not quite something seen every day, what with its lack of any sort of necessity. Arms looped together as the two locked eyes, Wilford's own struggling ever so slightly to maintain contact due to his continued nervousness. And, though Madeline no doubt picked up on such, his reluctant persistence nevertheless only seemed to endear her further. And, so it was, limb bound with limb, the two continued on their way to the great chute, sure of their way, at least in a sense.

---​

"Oh, Wilford, look; we're plenty late," Madeline whispered as the two grew closer, each practically leaning against the other for support, apprehension finally having hooked its talons into Madeline's wooden frame. Wilford could only offer a nod--brisk though it was--his own mouth glued shut by the very same. "What do you think they're all like?"

Wilford looked down at Madeline, only to shake his head before looking back to the others whom had already assembled. "W-Well, I-I suppose I don't know," he answered back softly, looking each other with a fair bit of puzzlement. He had seen some strange dolls in his time (and he, of course, could be said to be quite a strange one himself), but it was in small gatherings such as this when one realized just how odd some of them are. Not, of course, that he would ever say something like that to any of them, especially once the two had crept beneath the light of the looming Great Chute, but the strange, holy-esque birthplace only managed to accentuate their oddities.

MinaShe turned to glare at the newcomers, late as they were to the meeting, and she gave another frustrated exclamation, something similar to a high-pitched squeak as she fumed wordlessly at them. None of them were that darned Professor James, and none of them were useful at the slightest. She stomped her good foot on the ground, and was just about to start trampling circles around the Chute before someone called out her name. She recognised that voice anywhere. She wouldn't call the female doll her most loyal customer- she wasn't exactly keeping count- but she was one of her more common patients. She never knew what Locket was up to, and never wanted to know, honestly. She just knew, however, she had expended spool after spool of thread and twine for this particular doll. With the expertise of a doll who was used to roaming the edges of Alexandria, looking for patients to treat and drag back into the city, Mina spun around to face the oncomind doll, and immediately tried to duck out of the way.

She was a mite too slow, on account of her damaged leg. She ought to get it fixed, she thought to herself as she was easily scooped up, and readily crushed between the arms of Locket. This was beyond annoying. Of all dolls that Professor James had to call in, he had to call Locket. This pulled him up further on the ‘To Kick’ list. As she was being manhandled by the other doll, she was barely aware of a new presence coming in to join the group from the corner of her eyes. The garishly-dressed and pompous doll was none other than Professor James, she assumed, and her assumptions were quickly confirmed by his extravagant introductions. How she LOATHED him. How did he have so much wilful ignorance and lack of self-awareness that he could carry himself in such a manner?! And when he was LATE as well! It was infuriating! She had enough! She was going to give him a piece of her mind. She could not jolly well speak, so she would have to deliver her message the only way she knew how!

Prying herself free of Locket’s grasp by wriggling desperately through her iron grip, she sprinted over to the Professor, and leapt upwards with both her feet. Aiming for what should be his chest, she shot both her legs forwards, performing what was known in the Alexandrian professional wrestling scene as an excellent dropkick.

BriiAngelic BriiAngelic The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit

• ~Near the Chute~
    Weird Machine || Locket’s CS File
    FLUFFY. Ah the soft plush nurse was always so cozy. She pulled the woman up slightly as she held her to her own chest. She was barely able to hold the other doll though as the wriggling was rather vigorous. But still there were more arriving! She wondered just how many this professor man invited here.

The others all looked so interesting. Technically she was suppose to just watch them but well she supposed that she was never quite good at listening to Key’s advice. The dolls around her all had reasons they must have been called in. Her own was rather obvious, who better to have in a delve into the Depths than one who made frequent trips down. In reality she wanted to know why some of these others were coming along. After all some of these dolls looked as unlikely to be going into the Depths as Sun.

Well the only way to know was to ask right? With a quick false inhale in she… Aww man she got loose. For a second she completely forgot she was holding Mina. But hey at least the Professor Man was here and OH Gods Mina that’s not how one makes friends. She turned to follow Mina but stopped and Turned around first back to the other dolls.

“Oh! MY NAME IS LOCKET AND IT'S VERY NICE TO MEET YOU ALL! WHO ARE YOU ALL?”

She shot her hands up widely as she spoke nearly banging her stick into people. She couldn’t help it so many looked like they’d be fun to hang out with, especially the ones that she’s never seen slinking around Alexandria. In fact there were a few she’s never seen.

“We should buy matching scarves! I have some signatures from Key I think! Oh no I don’t, I forgot them…”

Last edited:
An odd way to introduce oneself, the Professor had to admit, but that was the charm of the young, was it not? As his still unnamed companion stumbled over their words, he only replied with a hearty laugh and a strong clap on the back.

"A gaff, naturally. You see, you'll not believe the stroke of fate that that's been bestowed upon us! As it were, my lateness today can hardly be called anything other than the whims of the world. Here I was, stood on this very spot and awaiting you all in a state of, I assure you, great excitement, and then this strapping young fellow fell right on top of me!" James's excitement was palpable in both his voice and his body. While his face was obscured, the extravagant old doll's body language more than made up for the loss. His hands danced through the air as if to make up for his lack of expression, and his body followed their movements like a dance to the rhythm of their song.

"A sign from above, to be sure! It might be a fanciful of me to assume, but I'm sure that this young one's path crossed with ours for no other reason than to-" While he'd fully intended to run his mouth without any concern for anyone else's, well, concerns, James found himself cut off quite abruptly as one of his would-be companions rocketed into in chest. Not in affection, no, he wasn't so lucky as to attract the adoration of a loving young doll such as Locket, but instead in a fit of sheer fury; And, both entirely unprepared and entirely a man of the arts, not of war, there was little he could do to avert the hefty impact that impressed upon him. Before he knew it, he was flying through the air with all the force of his assailant's kick behind him, before crashing to the ground in a manner without any degree of grace or elegance.

He'd heard of the mute nurse's, how could he say... Harsh, behaviour, but such boldness as this was beyond even his wildest expectations. Haha! He let out a laugh as he laid sprawled on the ground. It was quite refreshing, to be honest. As much as he adored his fellows at the Guild, his profession tended to attract a certain stiffness in its ranks, and while each and every one of his colleagues had their own special charm, an energy such as this was something he didn't exactly see every day.

"A good... A fantastic show of strength, Miss MIna! Perhaps you should investigate a career in inflicting wounds rather than inflicting them, hm?" With a noticeable amount of effort, the Professor hefted himself back to his feet as he spoke, surveying his surroundings as he did. Then, low and below, there he was! Thin and towering, the composer's silhouette was unmistakable, even in the hustle and bustle of Alexandria.

"Hello over there, my chap!" At the sight of the straggler, the Professor's hand shot up into the air, merrily waving back in forth in an attempt to make as much of a commotion as possible, and act as a beacon for his final companion. "Mister Winds, over here, if you will! We're just getting started, please hurry yourself on over!"

simj26 simj26 SP3CT3R SP3CT3R simj26 simj26 SoftSmile SoftSmile ambition ambition Lucem Lucem BriiAngelic BriiAngelic

[class=Notes] // Forward slashes are comments and do no show up in the final design, these are to help you find everything easily and explain some code as well. These comments must be with in a class or script tags in order to be hidden, from what I know// // Long URls are images # followed by letter and numbers are Hex codes or color codes.// // This code does not show breaks unless is shows the
code When typing responses to rps, be aware that when you press enter it will not show that you did. You'll have to use the
tags// [/class] [class=BackgroundPicture] Background:url(https://ak7.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/16632637/thumb/12.jpg); Padding:30px; //The background image that become the border// [/class] [class=BackgroundColor] padding:30px; background-color:#3A403B; color:#E0F2E3; //the solid block of color that makes the border appear as a border all your content will be in this box// [/class] [class=Name] float:right; margin-bottom:10px; text-align:center; border-radius:5px; background-color:#000000; padding:5px; color:#fdecff; width:calc(100% - 35% - 33px); //The Box around the name// [/class] [class=Img] border-right:20px SOLID #3A403B ; border-bottom:10px SOLID #3A403B ; width:30%; float:left; //this class has a border to create a false margin so the horizontal lines don't appear to go behind the image if you change the back ground you have to change the colors here too// [/class] [class=Image] border:3px SOLID #2d78bd; line-height:0px; //The border around the image// [/class] [class=Line] border-top:3px SOLID #000000; margin-top:10px; margin-bottom:10px; //The tiny lines everywhere// //You can see here they have a set width, which is the shorter length, the bottom two lines have a specific 'style' which overrides what happens here to make them full length. if you need longer lines, copy and paste the style from the bottom two (be careful, they float right, making them too big at the top messes the code up) If you need the bottom lines to be shorter, delete the Style=" and such// [/class] [div class="BackgroundPicture"] [div class="BackgroundColor"] [div class="Img"] 9859ce8e7c76f3063cf7506d00650dff.jpg [div class="Image"] [/div][/div] [div class="Name"] Vasílissa[/div]

Interacting: simj26 simj26
Mentioned: BriiAngelic BriiAngelic
Setting: Alexandria Plaza [div class="Line"][/div] She stayed silent for most of the chatter, her eye like features seeming to move and scan each doll that arrived. They only seemed to continue conversing with little thought of what was at stake here. With a simple exhale and the disapproving shaking of her head she let all of the aggressive thoughts leave her mind. She did not want to be blamed for the murder of these young-lings.

Though emotions began to eat at her ever hateful brain as the doll known as ' Locket ' arrived. A cheery demeanor did no harm every once in awhile, it was needed to raise morale and overall raise productivity. Though, the doll touched others who were uncomfortable, talked like it had been broken countless times and cheaply fixed. It's clothes did look worse for wear. It didn't look like it was capable of doing anything useful, and she was beginning to doubt this professor.

She cleared her throat like muscle and began. "Excuse me, might I inquire of what the criteria is to be included in this little.." She looked around at all the dolls for a minute before continuing. "Group?" Even though the words lacked emotional support, it still sounded they were full of toxic disdain.
Code by @AgWordSmith
[/div]

7fef6756b443b1a1611eb8663faf0b13.jpg

Et Cetera

INTERACTIONS: Lucem Lucem && The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit && SoftSmile SoftSmile (Doesn't speak directly to but deliberately interrupts)
MENTIONS: simj26 simj26 SP3CT3R SP3CT3R SoftSmile SoftSmile The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit Lucem Lucem BriiAngelic BriiAngelic _Line 213 _Line 213

As the group seemed to be nearing completion, discomfort took hold of the doll’s expression and led him to cover the bottom half of his face with his scarf. The personalities surrounding him were as diverse and vivid as the dolls themselves. While he was sure the abundance of differences also gave them countless skill sets to draw upon, the brashness some of the others carried upon their brows was off-putting (to say the least).

Still.

A particularly enthused doll’s bounciness did bring a smile to his face, even if he deliberately avoided their line of sight. While he wanted to avoid being caught up in their cheer, it was still an excitement and a boundless energy he wished he had a fraction of and appreciated at the very least. With a breath to ease his nerves. Cetera allowed himself some time to truly look at his companions, this time with calculative eyes versus fearful ones. Now that he looked at them versus through them, he came to the realization that he did recognize a few of them; A skilled nurse his former companions had sought out for assistance once or twice before and a Toy Maker whose wares were rather infamous around both Alexandria’s usual residents and among tradesmen; Bishop, he recalled briefly. The rest, however, were virtually unknown to him.

“It’s.. nice to meet you as well.” He finally responded, the words slow and almost uncertain, as if they were spoken as an afterthought. “I’m Et Cetera. Just call me Cetera, I suppose.”

The group itself hardly seemed like the sort one would deliberately put together for scholarly pursuits. Gone were the battle-hardened ‘tanks’ and the witty map holders known for their sense of direction and the smart mouths that drove their companions insane. To him, their party seemed like a haphazard work of patchwork fitted together only out of the loving efforts of a person unwilling to allow it to fall apart entirely. It was charming in it’s own way but hardly durable. Cetera worried they would be the same way; vulnerable. Not that he’d dare voice the concern aloud.

Pulling himself out of his thoughts was not the easiest task, but eventually his gaze sharpened and he became better attuned to his surroundings. Just to watch as their enigmatic benefactor rose from the ground. His confusion about what had transpired didn’t last long, a sharp tone capturing his attention and causing him to scrunch up his nose in displeasure, quite offended at the implications.

“ Ahem... More importantly," He said suddenly, forgoing his usual stance on politeness for the mild pettiness that came with insult. “What have we been gathered here for? We’re all aware of the quest itself but what is the expedition for exactly? Surely you wouldn’t have gone through such lengths just for us to be seeking out signatures or something of the sort.”

Last edited:
Before he could take the time to get to know his potential partners for the expedition, Bishop noticed the arrival of the man who gathered them together for that purpose. Although, he was able to hear the Translator's approach before actually seeing him. The many metallic baubles that adorned his clothing were hard to ignore due to the clattering sounds, as well as the rare material that they were made from. One had to be very brave, foolish, or prideful to walk around with such a treasure dangling from their body. In this case, it may have been a combination of all three.

Professor James had finally arrived, but he wasn't alone. The man brought along a rather curious looking Doll, one that had the ability to float above the ground. It was quite a unique trait that would normally catch a few wandering gazes, but that likely hadn't been an issue for this one. Judging by their behavior and amazement at what they were capable of, this Doll couldn't have been conscious for very long. Bishop wasn't too sure about bringing along a newborn on their journey. Even for more experienced travelers, the Inner Depths were dangerous and rife with unknown hazards. All that and more would be especially dangerous for someone who was only born moments ago.

The winged newcomer and the Professor weren't the only ones to arrive, as three more Dolls soon joined them. First, there was a rather excitable woman who seemed to know Mina, if her sudden call and hug were any indication. Although, he wasn't sure if they were friends, considering the tiny nurse's struggle to get away from the hooded individual.

The next to arrive were a pair of Dolls, both watching from a distance while clinging to each other. Admittedly, the sight alone wasn't enough for him to determine what sort of relationship the two of them may have shared, but the close proximity and caring gestures brought a smile to his face. Even it turned out to be a misunderstanding on his part, he felt a familiar warmth at seeing a pair so close together. It brought back fond memories. He was happy to see such relationships still flourishing.

Bishop's attention was soon pulled back to the gathering when Mina managed to break free from the larger Doll's hold, quickly delivering a harsh kick to their masked employer. His initial reaction was to offer him a hand to help him get back on his feet, but it seemed as though Professor James wasn't the least bit upset at being knocked on his back. A truly peculiar man. Bishop never could've imagined him like this just from reading his works.

While the Professor was busy calling out to their spectators, Bishop turned his attention back to the Doll that introduced herself as Locket. He wasn't sure how she'd fare on their journey, but such cheer was a welcome sight. Placing a hand on his chest, he offered the woman a slight bow as he introduced himself once again. "I am Bishop. The pleasure is mine." Her suggestion was a tad odd, but no more so than everything he had seen thus far. "If it's a scarf you'd like, I may be able to help with that." He brought along some materials for the expedition, so knitting a thing or two wouldn't be too much trouble. It would also be a way to pass the time during any stops on the way to their destination.

While he was distracted by the introduction, the other two Dolls reminded him that there were still mysteries surrounding this gathering of seemingly unconnected individuals. Taking a few steps forward, Bishop was the next to ask his questions. "Forgive me for being too direct, but I must agree. If you don't mind me asking, what does this expedition entail, and why have you chosen us of all Dolls to accompany you?"

The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit BriiAngelic BriiAngelic _Line 213 _Line 213 simj26 simj26 SP3CT3R SP3CT3R ambition ambition SoftSmile SoftSmile

Ah, their voices were like a harmony to his soul. He wondered, just how much good fortune was a Doll allotted in its lifetime, because it felt as if he was expending a dangerous amount today. For his companions to be of such like-mind, the same questions and queries flowing forth from each of their mouths, surely it was a good sign, no?

"It's a good line of thought that you're all following." Alongside his words, James gave a satisfied nod. "Despite how things may appear, I've not just selected you lovely lot at random. You see, I'm not as they say... The most capable of Dolls in that big wide world out there. Why, I can't even remember the last time I left Alexandria! Mmm, so indeed, I thought it'd be best if I covered all the bases, you know? You've all your fair share of fashionable skills, from the exuberant Miss Locket, to the terrifying Lady Vasílissa. I've assembled you all based on the best references that I have to offer."

"As for the purpose of our trek, well, it's for not other reason than to see the world! You see, as I mentioned, I've been holed up in this place for far too long. I wish to see more! Do more! To get to the bottom of this great big enigma of this sensation that we call living!" His excitement rising, James's body sparked with as much vigor as his words did. Seemingly recovered from Mina's mighty blow, he moved more vibrantly than ever, his figure darting between gestures of excitement as exaggeration as he spoke. "But, alas, I am as ignorant as I am meak. Our quest, in truth, is more about the journey than the destination. I merely wish to wander the world with you, my merry band, at my side. Despite how I may appear, I've chosen not to delude myself with any thoughts of heroic journeys or mighty conquests." At those words, he seemed to calm down a bit. Behind his masks of brass and showmanship, he was quite aware of the danger her was putting himself in.

"As frivolous as it might sound I do request you not laugh at my passions. Even if you take this journey to be nothing more than the whims of a mad old fool, I'm still quite willing to pay top dollar for the lot of you! So, name your price! State your interest! Time is, as the say, a'wastin', after all!"

simj26 simj26 SP3CT3R SP3CT3R simj26 simj26 SoftSmile SoftSmile ambition ambition Lucem Lucem BriiAngelic BriiAngelic _Line 213 _Line 213

• C8D0A358-1EEB-4A63-91AE-F4D0FB0D80A1.jpeg

Interacting With:
    Professor ( The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit )
    Mentions:
    Bishop ( Lucem Lucem )
    ~All Gathered~
    Patios || Locket’s CS File
    The adventure seemed like it was about to get started. The professor dude was here, he called out to some new people so then that was it right. Was it time to go exploring! She could hardly contain her excitement as she swung her arms back and forth the lace making a swooshing sound due to the speed at which they went. Even her feet were tapping as she tried to hold back excitement, especially with the man offering to make scarves. She was just about to go up to him and giving him a huge hug as well once the Professor started to address them again.

Wait they were just gonna explore for fun? The depths were dangerous! Miss key would never let her go then! But Miss Key also never wanted to go into the more odd areas either… and if she got paid for it then she could help Miss Key with repairs and other things. Maybe she’d even bring back something worth a lot like the shiny bobbles that Miss Key went wild over!

She really didn’t know why he wanted people with fashion skills or how she apparently had them, maybe it was from the comment on the scarves? Still she was going to take full advantage of the opportunity. She launched her hand up and without missing a beat started on talking.

“I would like to bring back shiny bobbles and signatures for Miss Key! I can help as much as possible with these fashion skills you speak of but I am rather better at delving into the depths than I am at fashion I believe.”

Wilford gave a bit of a start, perhaps not expecting to be recognized--and indeed called over--right away. His companion, seemingly less than bothered, egged him on a little, giving him a light, push-like tap on the shoulder as she prompted him to step under the chute proper. "Well? Go on," she encouraged, a light, reassuring smile spreading onto her face. It was the sort of look that Wilford himself simply couldn't resist, especially if it didn't immediately work; it was one thing for Madeline's looks to melt his metal heart, yet it was another thing entirely for her endless complaints to crack his poor porcelain ears.

"Oh, well, alright, I suppose," he said, drawing nearer as his love gracefully let him go, following along, yet at at short distance behind. The part-time musician reached his hands up, readjusting his tie for the umpteenth time that day as he once again flicked his gaze over the various other dolls in attendance. His discomfort was nothing if not palpable, and, indeed, despite their strange designs and equally varied purposes, the fellow could not help but feel that he, specifically, was rather out of place amongst their number. It was a feeling that was only amplified by the words of the fellow responsible for their assembly; for the spring-driven, clockwork life of him, Wilford Winds could not figure out even the slightest use that a musician and server, of all things, could have on a journey into the depths of the dark, mite-filled library. Only one of the others seemed to reply right away, and--much to Wilford's surprise--she seemed rather enthusiastic about the idea of such a journey (or, at the very least, the potentially begotten gains that could come of it).

Lips pursed, the would-be showman cleared his throat lightly, raising his hand just enough to be noticeable, the tallest of his fingers just barely managing to top the height of his shoulders. "If I may, sir, and I mean no disrespect as a result of my doubts, but ah...well, I suppose to put it simply, I can't quite imagine what you'd have in mind for the likes of me, in terms of um...use and intent, and the like. If I'm being quite honest, I can't possibly imagine who would have recommended me. Or, really, why."

Madeline, on the other hand, seemed quite taken with the idea, her excitement similar to that of the doll who had spoken mere moments earlier. "Oh! Will we be going places we've never gone before? Doing things as-of-yet undone? Oh, Wilford!" She spun around, forcefully taking the fellow's crafted hands in her own. "Wilford, it's perfect! It's the perfect story!"

"I--Madeline, dearest, maybe we should think about this a little more carefully--"

"I see". The Professor's motivation for this expedition was simple, but not uncommon. After spending a great deal of time in one place, many Dolls often find themselves consumed by wanderlust, desiring to expand their horizons and experience the world beyond their homes. Unfortunately, the library isn't kind enough to welcome any who wish to explore its depths. Many dangers await prospective travelers, and their passionate feelings are forced to compete with the fear of those hazards. Oftentimes, fear triumphs. Dolls must consider whether their hopes and dreams are worth putting themselves at risk. The ones gathered here were no different. They all had to decide if the reward that awaited them was grand enough to accompany Professor James on a journey being made for the sake of the journey itself. He couldn't speak for the individuals that surrounded him, but his decision was already made.

"Then, if you'll have me, I would be glad to accept your offer." While he was mainly skilled in crafting clothing and toys, his knowledge of the Inner Depths would certainly be useful. He wasn't sure how many of the others had experience in that area, so it may fall on him to help guide the group. It was important to consider who would be making the journey, learn about their skills, and ascertain if they were prepared for what awaited them. Those things, along with many others, were important to consider if they were to stay safe. Although, there was something else he'd have to think about.

"However, on the topic of compensation, I'd like some more time before making a decision, if that's fine with you." His heart already knew what he wanted, but he still needed to think about this carefully. Even if he had a wish in mind, the way to have it granted was still a little out of reach. Perhaps it would reveal itself during this adventure.

The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit BriiAngelic BriiAngelic _Line 213 _Line 213 simj26 simj26 SP3CT3R SP3CT3R ambition ambition SoftSmile SoftSmile

MinaHow annoying. How irksome. How ceaselessly trite. Who cared? If they weren’t intent on doing something stupid then they wouldn't have even bothered answering such a call from such a weirdo like this Professor goof. Mina wanted to punch Locket. And the other doll. The ones she wanted to punch most were the couple though. How dare they? What was this, some kind of honeymoon trip? They should just go back home and do their packing and planning rather than involve themselves in this foolhardy venture! She furrowed her brow. Furthermore, he had some very, very, very, rare parts to him. She didn't have the material to patch him up if anything untoward were to happen to him. Needles and thread didn't work on metal as far as she knew. The fact that he hadn't been picked clean by the more seedy citizens was a miracle in and of itself. Maybe he was just that blessed.

The Professor was a complete idiot if he was meaning to ask her a question of what she wanted in return. He already knew what she wanted. She wanted nothing. Even if she did want something, how was she supposed to tell him? Was that why he asked then? Because he knew she couldn't respond and she wouldn't respond? Was he truly capable of such foresight? Did he really think that far ahead? She didn't believe it. This was a doll of spontaneity, just carelessly barrelling down the lanes of fate without care of what might stand before him. That was why, then, she worried for the morons that stood before her now. They were following this damned fool for his reckless expedition, and they were all going to be torn to shreds within the hour. That was why she was here. Alexandria could survive without her for a while. These fools wouldn't. It was her duty to ensure that they didn't get turned to fluff the moment they stepped out. Maybe in a rare glint of genius, this Professor was reminded of this wandering nurse, and that was why he called her.

Well, good for him. She was going to stick around. She said nothing, and folded her arms, turning away from the crowd. They were already putting too high a price on the line for silly little things like baubles. She couldn't ask them to owe her anything. If they wanted to pay her back, then they will. If they didn’t, then she wasn't going to press them.

In the face of such skepticism, the Professor couldn't rightly call himself surprised. His motivations, as well as his... Selections, were certainly a shade suspicious. Truly, should he have been met with nothing but open arms and smiling faces today, he might have been a little worried! A healthy dash of suspicion merely helped keep ones head screwed on properly, he reckoned.

"Wilford, my lad! You really must be more confident. Don't you know that the first person one needs to believe in them is oneself? You're putting far too much of a burden on that lovely wife of yours will all that weeping!" His words were harsh, perhaps. Manipulating the Doll through his lover was certainly among the lower things he'd done recently, but it was for the greater good, as it were. Just looking at the way he carried himself, let alone the way he spoke about himself, very nearly broke the Professor's heart. As far as he was concerned, nobody should conduct themselves in such a dreary manner, it was simply terrible for one's state of mind. He was just the sort of fellow who needed a good adventure to kick him in the pants!

"Here's an idea, actually! How about we put you under the care of Locket here? I'm sure the both of you could learn a thing a two from one another! A certain... Ah, exchange of experiences as it were? Of course, Mrs Madeline is more than welcome to participate too, just be sure not to rely on her too strongly, hm?"

As sound an idea as any other, he thought.

"It is of course, just fine if you'd like time to consider your compensation. I expect both you and Miss Mina will have a thing or two to ruminate about, my dear Toymaker. And! If I might add, your boldness is rightly appreciated! That's the sort of go-getter attitude that I'd expect from a man of your stature!" Truly, as one could surely tell by the chipper ring to his tone, he was enjoying being in the presence of another creative such as Bishop. It was a breath of fresh air, in the face of his usual dealings with the population of Alexandria.

"Now, if you've all satisfied your curiosity, how about we set off? I've already got a spot in mind for our first destination!"

simj26 simj26 Lucem Lucem BriiAngelic BriiAngelic _Line 213 _Line 213

tags// [/class] [class=BackgroundPicture] Background:url(https://ak7.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/16632637/thumb/12.jpg); Padding:30px; //The background image that become the border// [/class] [class=BackgroundColor] padding:30px; background-color:#3A403B; color:#E0F2E3; //the solid block of color that makes the border appear as a border all your content will be in this box// [/class] [class=Name] float:right; margin-bottom:10px; text-align:center; border-radius:5px; background-color:#000000; padding:5px; color:#fdecff; width:calc(100% - 35% - 33px); //The Box around the name// [/class] [class=Img] border-right:20px SOLID #3A403B ; border-bottom:10px SOLID #3A403B ; width:30%; float:left; //this class has a border to create a false margin so the horizontal lines don't appear to go behind the image if you change the back ground you have to change the colors here too// [/class] [class=Image] border:3px SOLID #2d78bd; line-height:0px; //The border around the image// [/class] [class=Line] border-top:3px SOLID #000000; margin-top:10px; margin-bottom:10px; //The tiny lines everywhere// //You can see here they have a set width, which is the shorter length, the bottom two lines have a specific 'style' which overrides what happens here to make them full length. if you need longer lines, copy and paste the style from the bottom two (be careful, they float right, making them too big at the top messes the code up) If you need the bottom lines to be shorter, delete the Style=" and such// [/class] [div class="BackgroundPicture"] [div class="BackgroundColor"] [div class="Img"] 9859ce8e7c76f3063cf7506d00650dff.jpg [div class="Image"] [/div][/div] [div class="Name"] Vasílissa[/div]

Interacting: The One Eyed Bandit The One Eyed Bandit
Mentioned: simj26 simj26
Setting: Alexandria Plaza [div class="Line"][/div] She stayed silent most of the time, looking forward with unreadable eye-sockets wavering in the direction of where Mina was standing. She seemed to know at least something about proper adventuring through the library. Her attitude was perfect for someone who was about to march into a lions den with what seemed under educated dolls who were in over their head. Her expression practically said it all, her stature as well.

A small smile which only could be seen as a bit of a lighter area marking the meeting of each of her lips, graced her expression. She moved a bit to stand beside Mina, Her dark head still standing high, a bit too high for simple self respect. She practically smelled of ego; but it seemed everything that she was graced with, it wasn't foolhardily gained. She then rose an invisible eyebrow at the professor. She almost immediately relaxed her face, giving up on trying to negotiate on bringing the useless dolls with them.

"Yes, it would be quite wise to head out as soon as possible. If we wish to be back as soon as possible."
Code by @AgWordSmith
[/div]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back