Lost and Cannot Be Found(Isa and Goldstar27)

Lola smiled and took the meal and put it on her lap. She tried to pace herself as she ate the meal. She used to be a vegetarian, her and her sister, but after it all happened it wasn't an option anymore. She didn't really mind, the meat tasted so good, especially considering that she hadn't eaten in over twenty-four hours. She was so grateful for the company... and in that moment she never wanted to be alone again.

Lola smiled yet again, she couldn't help herself. It felt good to be in someone's company, it had been a very long time. "Well, after everything... you know... happened-" her face turned serious as she paused, figuring out how to tell her story. "Well I lost my parents... and my- my" she tried to say it but she just shook her head instead. "I'm alone now..." she wanted to tell the girl, she did, but she hadn't talked about Eve to anyone, and she had never thought she would have to. "I had to come here to escape the radiation from the towns, I was with my sister, but, not anymore..." she sped through the overview quickly and didn't look at Auriel. It was good to let it out though, truly.

Auriel placed a comforting hand on Lola's shoulder. "I am very sorry to hear that. I've heard twins have very strong bonds. I bet it was like losing your better half." She took Lola's bowl. "Would you like some more?"

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Lola blinked a few times, staring straight at Auriel. She didn't cringe away from her touch, but she didn't lean into it either. It was very strange to have contact with someone, in a world like this, now especially. In that moment, she knew that she never wanted to be alone again. She didn't want to go back to her cave, she didn't want to have to hunt for supplies alone, she didn't want to fend for herself. She needed someone she could rely on, someone to get through this world with. Auriel could be that person. "Thank you..." Lola finally replied, smiling up at her slowly, "yes, um, please" she handed her plate over to Auriel.

Auriel smiled. "Good to hear. I have plenty of food to spare." She walked over and got them both some more. She handed Lola her bowl and sat back down. "I guess it's going to be a bit before we get to your camp. You can't move around much with that wound. How'd you get it?"

"It was a while ago... I was going into town for supplies, like I did today. Maybe a moth ago, but I can't really tell- I lose track of time easily now. I was in a grocery store getting food stock, some canned soup and vegetables. Two guys came in, I got one of the last cans, they shot me for it and ran." She paused looking down at her wound again. "I could never get it to fully heal, removed the bullet myself and stitched it without meds. Most painful night of my life..." I trailed off. The smell of vomit filled my nose, that night was filled with blood, and sweat, and vomit. "Anyways, like I said, it's opened a bunch of times since, these aren't particularly good conditions for healing, if you see what I mean."

She nodded. "Sorry that happened to you. So you go into town for food all the time?" She guessed she shouldn't have assumed everyone could hunt and gather like she did.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Lola felt ashamed. It was stupid of her to go into town so often, that's why she got hurt and the same for Eve. "Yes, I do." She admitted nodding her head. "I'm not a particularly good hunter, so I need to go for medical supplies and food every week or so. It's not safe though, I'm living proof of that..." She sighed and then looked back up at Auriel, "Most people are more like you, I'm just- bad at hunting and using nature to my advantage..." she said. "I only run into people in town grabbing medicine that you can't find up here- most people aren't reliant on disgusting and meager scraps left over in grocery stores and delis. Plus supplies are running out fast. I've already had to move a few times to stay with the still stocked-towns. But they have the worst radiation too..."

Auriel nodded. "I see. Well... you can stay here with me. It used to be me and my brother but now it's just me. I can even find your camp and get your stuff. I mean... I'm sure you have invaluable things. Keepsakes and such. And you can stay here and rest. I'm sure you can hold down the fort." She smiled at Lola. "And if we ever need big medicine that I can't make, we can run into town together and keep an eye out for each other."

Lola looked back up at Auriel... "I'm sorry... about your brother," she began. They had both lost a sibling. She looked at her for a moment more, "would you, really do that for me?" She wanted someone to stay with badly, this was the perfect opportunity to pair up with someone. It would be safer that way, or maybe it wouldn't... she didn't really care, she didn't know how much longer she could go alone. "That sounds, like a good idea," she managed shocked with joy.

Auriel nodded. "Of course I would. You're hurt and I'm sure you wouldn't mind someone else taking care of your wound for you. And we can be stronger together. And probably survive better." She smiled. "So if you want, I can go grab your things for you."

Lola nodded taking in Auriel's words. She knew that it was a risk, but she also knew there would be more benefits than setbacks from pairing with someone in a time like this. "I would really appreciate if you got my stuff... but I'm not sure how to tell you to get there..." she trailed off. After all, she was the one who had gotten lost in the first place. How would Auriel find her camp if she didn't know how to get there from here either?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back