TV & Film Lorsh Theatre (Military / Medieval clips + commentary)

Lorsh

Varlot
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
WARNING: Violences, gores, whatever, etc.

Hello. I watch too many YouTube clips. In fact, it is my favorite thing to do instead of replying to my roleplays. If you would like to watch similar ones, as well as look at some commentary (or offer it!), please enjoy this thread. I'll post a clip a day, maybe.

-Actors include Liam Neeson (uncle), the guy who played Legolas (the "murderer"), and the guy who played Jaime Lannister (nephew/chief bad).

-The baddies are quite accurately dressed for 12th century men-at-arms (knights) and foot soldiers. The men on horseback wear chainmail (incl. mouth flaps), as well as heraldric surcoats, whereas the men on foot wear no heraldric devices and only have padded armor (gambesons). Both types of bads wear nasal helmets and pot helmets, while only the foot soldiers wear "kettle" helmets.

-At 3:44, when Liam Neeson chops into his nephew's head, you can see that he is wearing a cervelliere (iron skullcap) beneath his mail coif. Very cool (if brief) detail!

Tbh, I love Kingdom of Heaven's costume design. Now if only I got around to watching the actual movie - but damn, is it long...

Last edited:
Hello you dumb assholes. I have another medieval video for your enjoyment!!

From the movie The Last Duel, we see a battle take place at Limoges during the Hundred Years War. This takes place in the Late Medieval Period as opposed to last video, which was in the High Period.

The Last Duel gets a bunch of flak for the half-helmet thing, but honestly I don't really care. I thought it was pretty good!!

One thing I like about this movie is that Matt Damon/Adam Driver are actually squires in this scene. This is realistic for the time it's set; in the Later Period there was much lower ratio of knighted to unknighted men-at-arms. Squires could be fully-grown men equipped identically to a knight, just without the title.

One inaccuracy in this scene is that the French cavalry are all using swords as their primary weapons, instead of as backup weapons. Their primary weapon would have almost always been a lance.

I heard some guy say that some of the men-at-arms were wearing fully-enclosed greaves, when schynbalds (which only cover the shin) would have actually been worn at this specific time.

The actor on the right at 0:11 has weird sewn ring armor, which may or may not have actually existed. Either way, it probably wouldn't be worn by a high-ranking person.

0:17 Welp, there's plenty of artwork depicting civilians getting their heads cut off / hardcore murdered in general.
1658809455742.png1658809686659.png1658809810584.png

At 0:25, there are some English soldiers carrying polehammer-type things along with their shields. These would have been two-handed weapons, and probably wouldn't have shields carried with them. It is also unlikely that infantry would be carrying swords as their primary weapons, as well.

0:30 Leroy Jenkins​

Attachments

• 1658808163392.png
    1658808163392.png
    338 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back