Video Games Looking for a great RPG

Zaxs

Immortal Bait
I am so used to the Square Enix standard for RPG's, how they have to either keep to the final fantasy formaula and change very little (not counting FFXV) or revolutionizing and making a nice exploration, hack and slash like Kingdom Hearts series or the new Nier Automata. So I was wondering if anyone has found a great RPG like one of Square Enix creations?

Also anyone excited fro Kingdom Hearts 3, or play Nier? I am excited to discuss the game with anyone, or maybe we can talk about the new Dragon Quest Heroes II? I am sure excited about it, and I can't wait for anything new coming from SE.

I heard that one was good, but I can't run it.. at least not withing this month with my PC build.

I'm not really a fan of RPGs, but I absolutely adore the Tales series. Might be worth checking out if you're a fan of Kingdom Hearts.

If you own a Wii U or just want to emulate, I highly recommend EarthBound. Quirky, charming, and a deviation from the medieval status quo of most if not all RPGs

I'm not really a fan of RPGs, but I absolutely adore the Tales series. Might be worth checking out if you're a fan of Kingdom Hearts.
Already checked it out, thinking of getting tales of Berseria soon too.
If you own a Wii U or just want to emulate, I highly recommend EarthBound. Quirky, charming, and a deviation from the medieval status quo of most if not all RPGs
I already played it online on an emulater site when I was in high school. (I got very little work done when they gave us our own chromebooks.)

All these games have been touched by my hands at some point, though newer titles with high graphics are a bit out of the question. (For now!)

But I am gonna try and upgrade my PC within the next few months, and hopefully run Horizon Zero Dawn and other newer games.

Have you checked out the Ys series or Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity yet? They're both action RPG's with their own sort of system to them. I haven't played many Ys games, but I know that Scarlet Curiosity gets its inspiration from that series. I think you can get these games primarily for the PS4 on the Playstation Store.

There's also The Legend of Heroes on Steam, but it's very Square Enix-esque, like you said. It has a pretty good story.

Have you checked out the Ys series or Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity yet? They're both action RPG's with their own sort of system to them. I haven't played many Ys games, but I know that Scarlet Curiosity gets its inspiration from that series. I think you can get these games primarily for the PS4 on the Playstation Store.

There's also The Legend of Heroes on Steam, but it's very Square Enix-esque, like you said. It has a pretty good story.
I have actually checked out the Ys series, though I haven't played a lot of the series, as I am confused where it starts and where it ends. But I have played the first game. Touhou I would play the rest of them, but I am not to sure how to download it, also that is not really and RPG by my standards. The RPG's I am talking about have more level systems wandering, backtracking, chests laid about, and a kind of loot drop system. But a great bullet hell I have to say. Also...PC no PS4 for me thank you. But I have thought about getting a switch to play LOZ breath of the wild.

Oh yes Legend of Heroes, I have heard of it and it is on my wishlist. I am not against Square Enix games, I am just asking for games like them or that hold RPG standards like them.

I said this once. I said it again. I said it three times. And I'll say it again!
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS
DO IT
DO IT NOW
PLAY A BISEXUAL FLIRT MASTER, DO IT

I said this once. I said it again. I said it three times. And I'll say it again!
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS
DO IT
DO IT NOW
PLAY A BISEXUAL FLIRT MASTER, DO IT
I have already, played both men and woman. Cannibal, weird wasteland, etc.

Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the greats. Just be sure to take it at your own pace and don't obsess over getting 100%.

Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the greats. Just be sure to take it at your own pace and don't obsess over getting 100%.
Loved the game, I even watched a streamer play it. But I have yet to touch it again, mostly cause I don't have a console for it.

Persona 5 comes out on the 4th. From reviews I've read its shaping up to be one of the best RPGs ever made. Up there with the new Zelda.

A bit overrated, but Super Mario RPG? Square Enix had a hand in that.
I have played that on an emulate for a bit, though I am sad to say I didn't finish it.
I don't know if this fits the criteria but Witcher 3 is an amazing rpg.
Again to high graphics for my PC at the moment. But soon I will.
Persona 5 comes out on the 4th. From reviews I've read its shaping up to be one of the best RPGs ever made. Up there with the new Zelda.
I am so excited for this one coming out! I played persons 3 and 4 to the end.

To be honest, my RPG experience doesn't extend much beyond Paper Mario, M&L, Pokémon and Undertale.
My idea is that I will try anything once, and because I have been playing video games alone since I was young I grew up to enjoy stories, developed combat, intricate systems and leveling. So any game I can get my hands on I would try, and it be even better to play online, or with friends at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back