• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Life Beneath Dreams

June 6th, 2017

Last Day of School, Salt Lake City, Utah

The last day always feels like the longest. The last hour? Even longer, but here they were. The bell had rang and that was the end of it - no more bullshit homework, no stress, no worries about school or anything like that - just going home. For one group it was going to be a different story. Instead of lying in bed all day doing god knows what, they were actually going to do what a lot of teenagers didn't do in this day and age. Go outside.

Not just over the park or anything, no - this time it was going to be something way better than that. Colorado; a far enough distance away from their parents, a cabin in the woods, a lake, and probably more alcohol than they could ever dream of. It had been in the plans for a long time now, meaning those who were in and dedicated to coming along probably had their bags in the cars or at home waiting for them to pick them up. It also meant that anyone who knew about the plan had been getting their hands on whatever alcohol they could sneak from their parents and stashing it away somewhere. They wanted to drink while they were staying by a lake, of course. Some of them had more drinking experience than others - but this was a call for freedom for many of them.

Jason had his plans. He was thinking that they were going to be drinking all night, waking up the next morning and drinking again. Hammered 24/7. Maybe. He doubted it, but, only time would tell. Two weeks was a long time to be away, but, Jason was one of those people that needed it. Two younger brothers and pressure from his parents to find another job (the last one he had had to let him go as they were overstaffed') made up for a lot of stress. At least in the woods, he could scream or cry as much as he wanted about his problems, and no one would hear him. Fantastic.

There was no waiting - the bell rang and he flew. He ran from the classroom, down the hallway, out the doors, and straight to the parking lot where all the students who had cars parked. This morning he'd made sure he'd gotten here early and told Elmore to do the same, so that way they could talk at the end of the day and figure out what the next plan was. It was going to be a hell of a long drive, but it'd be worth it. For the past few months he'd been building a 'Summer Trip' playlist on Spotify, stuffed with rock, feel-good, classic country music fit for travel, and a variety of other things that would no doubt keep the journey fresh.

Jason drove a race-red Ford Mondeo, 2015. It was fit for the journey, too, which was nice. He didn't want a truck or anything like that, and the car itself, he'd put all his savings from the past year and a half into getting this when he was old enough to drive. His dad paid the rest, including the insurance. But mom helped out with that, too - His dad had enough money from his modeling career in France (yup, he did that, but, Jason didn't mention that to anyone. He thought it was embarrassing), and his mom ran one of those modern coffee houses in the city, but, she catered to everyone. Vegetarian, vegan, and whatever the hell else people wanted. She figured it was better than getting a brick through a window - Plus, more availability meant more money.

However, aside from that, Jason sat there in his car and slipped on his Kyusu sunglasses. It was a nice day, and he could only hope the weather would keep.

While he was waiting for Elmore to arrive at his car, he got his phone out, plugged it into the USB port in the car's console, and brought up his texts. He hit Tate with the message of, 'Just got in car, be there soon - be ready ;.)'.

He was buzzing. He'd been excited for this since it was first mentioned - no matter what Tate may have been going through, there was no way he was going to Colorado without his best friend.

Ah, yes. The promise of a road trip down, or up, I'm not geographical, to Colorado... Well. I mean, every sixteen year old says they'll do these things, they'll imagine it with their friends but will they ever actually do it? No. They'll just get to the planning stage, and give up. Nowhere to stay. Not enough money between several sixteen year olds, most of whom don't have jobs yet, to rent a place to stay. But, these guys were fortunate, and dedicated. Elmore, one of the group who had more money than he knew what to do with, and who's brothers and sisters and he probably all wiped their asses with gold, had a lake house. And parents who spoiled their children, so much so, that the request to take a few friends down there for a few weeks in the summer, was obviously answered yes.

Elmore didn't usually let things like his upbringing or money get to his head. He was easy, happy, he just wanted everyone to be happy too. A lot of his money that he received from his parents (weekly) got spent on himself, but... A good proportion of it also went to a good cause.

Anyway. Elmore had parked his white Audi Q2 by Jason's own car, and he made his way to it the second the bell rang. No one, I mean no one, wanted to be staying behind after the bell rang on the first day of summer vacation. Or the first evening of summer vacation. Whatever it was, it was going to be marked as a monumental day in these 8 teens lives, the day that their trip began.

He got to his car and knocked on the window of Jason's, grinning. "Summer time baby!" He yelled, banging one fist on his chest and holding the other high in the air. The whole school atmosphere was amazing, even the thunderous face of Yabetz had a small smile on it as he got on his own small motorbike, which was almost falling apart with the way he abused it. He didn't go over to his friends, not yet, instead he was going to go home - he hadn't packed. Unorganised, as usual. He'd see them later on.

Elmore leaned against his truck rather than got in, a huge smile on his face as Stella walked over, coming straight from her English class with a new pile of books for summer reading. Elmore picked one up off the top as she got to him, scanning the cover. "Boring. You bringing books with us on a boozer?"

Stella smiled slightly and waved through the window at Jason, before snatching the book back from Elmore. "If I don't, I'll get behind. Besides, it'd probably do you good to be around a book once in your life."

"Hey, I read!"

"Yeah, the TV guides." Stella laughed, and opened the car door, putting her books inside, followed by her bag, and slipping in. She wound the window down and leant her arm over the now open window, smiling at the two of them. "We waiting for Jen and Will?"

"Yup." Elmore smiled, raising his hands to his eyes and squinting. Despite the high temperatures, he was still fully clothed in his football jacket, which he never seemed to take off. Like, ever. Honestly. "They'll be here soon, the cavalry. Then it's off to booze city we go."

Stella snorted slightly. "Sure it is. You'll probably fall asleep at the wheel."

The two bickered between them as Jason received the confirmation text from Tate.

'All good, discharged now n out of group, ready when u r ;P'

At least he was in good spirits. The only thing that had really gotten him through the year, in his white room with white furniture and white clothes, was really the idea of being free at the lakehouse. Being able to see his friends again, not that he hadn't completely not seen them, but he wasn't there everyday, wasn't at every party, wasn't at every diner event, or homecoming. He'd taken so long off now that he'd be having to repeat next year if it weren't for the fact that he'd been receiving tutorage throughout his time off. The only thing the school had let him off on was his final exams. They could be lenient, that way.

Jason turned to the window as soon as he heard the knock and grinned, winding the window down so he could be face to face with his friend. "Thank god, right?" He nodded. "Now we can be as irresponsible as we want and won't have to worry about the repercussions. Hopefully my parents don't find out about all the alcohol I've been casually stealing from them these past few months, but..." He shrugged. "By the time they do, we're gonna' be so far away there won't be anything they can do." He said, then looked down at his phone again as another text came through. "Other than maybe take my car away or cancel the insurance, then ground me for the rest of the summer. But... We'll see." He laughed. He was in pretty good spirits about all of it - he'd been on top of the happiness game for the past couple of weeks now. It had been nothing but positivity.

Most of them had liked it - Jason was overall quite the positive guy, but, recently it had been accelerated. And believe it or not, but, in the past week or so, he and Nolan hadn't disagreed about anything. They'd been getting on well, actually. Nolan may have been a royal twat to anyone that wasn't a friend of his, but, he was a good enough guy to all of them. Even Will, despite the fact that he wished he'd fall in a fire.

The feeling was mutual.

"If you fall asleep at the wheel, Elmo..." Jason shook his head. "I will literally skin you alive." He reached out the window and gently nudged his arm. He looked at his watch - where was everyone else?

Then, out of nowhere.

"Ha-hey!" A deep but cheery voice called out, all while a muscular arm slapped itself around Elmore's neck and held him in a gentle headlock. "What are you dorks doing out here in the parking lot, eh?" Nolan said, his grin wide. Obviously he was excited for it, too. He released Elmore after a few seconds and patted his shoulder - he didn't do anything to hurt him, obviously. He was just being playful. He leaned over in front of Jason, leaning against his door, and gave him a nod. "We're grabbing Tate, right?"

"Mhm. Shouldn't take long. Then I need to head home and get my stuff."

"Uh-huh, same here." He said. "Go by mine after we pick him up?"

"Sure, I don't mind. Whatever works." He said, then looked off at Elmore and Stella and smiled again. He looked off towards the school and saw two people making their way over - Jenna and Will. They were in the same class at the end of the day. "Nolan, hop in. I'll let you ride shotgun until we get to Tate."

"How generous." He said, sarcastically. All in good humor. He went around the side and climbed in the passenger seat, just in time to see Will and Jenna arrive. He looked at Will - the two exchanged a nod. But there was that undeniable tension as their eyes locked. Most of them were smart enough to figure out they didn't like each other, even though they never actually said much about it. Jason hoped that this couple of weeks away would help that situation - maybe they'd start to get on once they were out in the woods with no phone signal and nothing but the great outdoors to entertain them?

"And here's the last two." Jason said. "Hey, guys."

"Hey, Jason." Jenna replied. She smiled at everyone else, too, including Stella. When your friendship gets good enough, sometimes you don't need words every time you see each other. Sometimes a smile is enough to say what you need to say. She still went and stood next to Stella, naturally.

"Hi." Will nodded. He stood nearest to Elmore, obviously. "So, what's the plan?" He asked.

"You guys all happy to meet at the diner for some food? One last milkshake at Joe's before we hit the road?"

"Nolan ole' buddy ole' pal, I don't wanna lose my head today." Elmore grinned, but obviously everything was in playful spirits with him. I think someone could punch Elmore and he'd probably still be laughing about it. He's just that kind of guy, and I think everyone needs someone like him around at some points in their lives. "And Will, fuck yeah. Ready for a boozer?" He held out a hand for a high five, which, considering they're best friends, I presume he got. He did a polite smile to Jenna. "Good afternoon, Miss May."

All smiles. Stella smiled up at her best friend, excitement clear in her eyes. Everyone was excited, naturally. Now they just needed to get going.

"Joe's sounds good." Elmore grinned, and Stella's stomach growled in agreement, causing a laugh to come from both her and Elmore. "And other than that... I think first, go and get our luggage in order of who's house is furthest from Joe's, to who's closest, then we meet you there. You gotta get Tate and Yab, right?"

Obviously, this would have been confirmed. "Sound."

Elmore patted his hand loudly on the roof of his car and Stella opened the door for Jenna. It was time to disappear, to get ready, to go. To finally be free of all worry and all parents. Nothing would go according to plan, eight hormonal teenagers under one roof for two weeks, with no cell reception, no other way to kill time... There was going to be drama, and romance, and alcohol. And damn, it was going to be fucking fun.

"All aboard the Elmo express, boys and girls!" Elmo yelled loudly, his hands cupped around his mouth to make it louder, and he hopped into the drivers seat with enthusiasm. Stella made room for Jenna, and I'm presuming Will joined in the front before Elmo started up the engine and yelled out one last thing to Jason out of his window, before setting off.

"Last one to Joe's has to carry all luggage inside!"

"Yeah, right!" He called out to him. Everyone had indeed gotten into his car at that point, but, seeing as he had to wait longer for three people to get in his car, as soon as the bet was on, it was on. He'd pulled out of his parking space long before Elmore could get a headstart on him. With a turbo-fed engine, he was hoping he could make good time. But then there was the problem with how there was rush hour traffic to worry about. School rush hour, that is.

The first place he went to was Nolan's house. He was invited inside for a minute but he figured it was best to just keep the car warm while Nolan grabbed his bag. A giant duffel bag, and a backpack. It was obvious what was in each one - there was definitely he alcohol in the backpack. Nolan had a younger sister, so, at home he wasn't the loneliest of people. She was only 9, though. Jason saw him say goodbye to her at the front door. He was quite the soft guy at heart, it seemed; he picked her up and gave her a big hug and everything, and the two exchanged a peck on the cheek before he returned to the car. The girl was overjoyed to see her brother, initially, and she stood on the driveway and waved them off as Jason got out of there.

He was almost envious he didn't have a sister. But he loved his brothers a whole lot.

Next stop, though, was to get Tate from the hospital. Easily one of the most exciting parts of this trip - while he was in there he obviously visited as much as possible, but it wasn't quite the same as having him at school, having him in his classes, bouncing jokes off each other and chilling together at lunch. Visiting him in the hospital could never have been the same as that.

"So, Tate's good now?" Nolan asked.

"Uh-huh."

"What happened to him, man?"

"I don't have a clue." Jason said. Lying through his teeth, maybe, but it was too much of an upsetting time and too much of a personal one for him to just up and out it to one of the most likely people to spread it around the whole school. He was sure his parents would disown him if he was responsible for something like that. Jason lost count of the amount of cupcakes and cookies his mom sent around after Jason got admitted, and the amount of times she volunteered to babysit - free of charge - whenever they needed to go and see to him. On top of that, he cared about his family just as much as his own. They were great. He'd spent enough weekends having late-night sleepovers there to know that they were good people - good people he'd happily treat as his own.

"Not a single clue?"

"Not a single one, Nole."

"How long you guys known each other?"

"Nearly twelve years. We met in Kinder."

"Damn." Nolan leaned back, "Well, alright. I'm just glad he's over... Whatever it was."

"Yeah, me too."

"You sure he's cool to come to Colorado? I mean, if he's just out of hospital and all... Ain't he gonna' wanna' be around his family?"

"Nah, he's down." Jason nodded. He did wonder, though - he had siblings. If he got out of hospital and immediately vanished for two weeks, or more, would they really appreciate it? He hoped no drama would be caused.

Before too long, he arrived at the hospital. He had to park across the street from it, though, as parking right out front would be illegal.

"You wait here. I'll go get him." He said, simply. Nolan nodded. "Oh, wait. Backseat, too."

"Yup..." Nolan sighed and climbed into the back of the car, buckling up there, instead. Jason took his keys with him and made his way over the road and in through the entrance. He got his phone out and brought up Tate's contact again.

'In lobby now. I'll wait here for u unless u need help with somethin'

The moment of truth. He was feeling butterflies, as it happened. His friend was going to be completely free - and they were going to have the most awesome time.

In Elmore's car, things were less filled with butterflies. They had everyone they needed there, they didn't have to wait for someone to meet at the hospital, didn't have to go and pick someone up completely, they were just going to be in, and out. Or so Elmore presumed. The person who lived furthest away from Joe's was Elmore himself, and so he got to his house and showed five fingers. "I will be five minutes, max. Parents are on a business trip, so I just need to grab my stuff and say bye to-"

"Go, go, go!" Stella kicked the back of Elmore's seat and laughed when he dived out of the car without finishing his sentence, scrambling for the front door keys and running in. He was right, though, he was in and out in five minutes, carrying three bags. Two backpacks - both filled with alcohol, and another larger backpack filled with his own clothes. Or was it the other way around? It didn't matter. He threw down the backpack of clothes first, then put the other backpacks, filled with alcohol, inside. Soon enough, he was back inside and on the way to... I'd presume Jenna's place, if she also had some money. I'm presuming the area furthest from Joe's is the richer area, but I could be wrong. Still, we'll go with Jenna's.

-

Tate was staring out of the window, phone in hand, waiting. His bags were packed, they'd been packed for ages, and his room was so neat it was as though it had never been touched by human hands. The nurse was standing by the foot of his bed, checking over his chart.

"And you're sure you're ready to go, for... How long is it?"

"Two weeks." Tate smiled, more to himself than to her, itching to grab his bag and run.

"And you'll be back, after?"

Tate was ecstatic at what he could say. "Yes. But only for an hour, for a session, so they can see if I'm going to be allowed on a home trial, after being away."

"How do you feel about that, Tate?"

He grinned. "I'll be allowed home. I know I will."

The nurse smiled and tucked the chart under her arm. "You will. You've made so much progress, everyone here is so proud."

Tate saw the car pull up and pushed away from the window, reaching for his bag.

"Ah, ah. Wait." The nurse held out the chart she had previously tucked away. "Sign."

He took the pen attached to the clipboard with string, signed the release page that his parents had also signed this very morning, and then grabbed his bags. His phone buzzed in his pocket, and he grinned, knowing that it was Jason waiting for him downstairs. He'd talked about how much this was going to mean, to be able to leave knowing that he'd only ever be coming back for his sessions, rather than a stay. This room was no longer his home, he had the opportunity to actually be someone again. So long as he made sure he didn't get sick again.

He ran down the steps of the hospital building, straight to the lobby, without giving the nurse a goodbye, and straight into Jason, immediately dropping his bag and pulling him into a hug. He didn't care what it might be, awkward and things, boys hugging sometimes being slightly awkward - it was his best friend, and though he'd seen him, none of it had been the same. But now... Now it was. "Get me out of here, Jason, right now!" He grinned, excited to finally be able to leave.

The most he'd ever left for was for a trip for food with another patient who was getting better, and a funeral, his mothers side losing someone and he expected to show. That was all. Nothing else... Nothing fun.

Jenna did indeed have to stop by her place and get some of her stuff. She'd managed to get her hands on some fancy alcohol, of course. People were worried she was going to flake out when it came to getting alcohol. She always seemed too innocent for any of that, in most people's eyes, but when she sent the WhatsApp group a picture of several different types of spirits, many realized they'd underestimated her. She was bringing the real good shit, from vodka with the gold shit in it to 15-year matured whiskey. It was all going to be there. She'd been to a few house parties in her time, too, but she'd never really been seen drinking heavily. She'd have a couple of vodkas with soda, maybe (if there were no parents around, of course), and that would be about it. Was she hardcore without anyone realizing? Chances are Stella had seen her 'wild side' more than anyone else had. She wasn't too wild, but at least in the forest she could be as wild as she wanted to be.

Smuggling alcohol out was going to be a hard task, though, seeing as her parents were at home today. She had to employ the help of Stella to get it out the front door. But of course her parents dragged them into a conversation and hovered around, as parents do - They only had to smile and wave until they were out the door, basically.

--

Jason was happy enough waiting where he was, but soon enough Tate was right there with his arms around him. He felt that same excitement rush through him and immediately threw his arms around him, too, squeezing him about as tight as he could manage. Fuck awkward. He didn't care about that now - if someone wanted to say something, they could. Nothing could drag down this moment in time - Part of him wanted to cry and give him the whole 'things have been so weird without you', but at the same time, he was far too happy for anything more than a happy tear to build up in his eye.

"Oh my god." He laughed, patting his back heavily a couple of times. Just a minute more. The Bromance was strong - it had been since they were kids. Having someone who you did literally everything with throughout your life suddenly be given a restricted lifestyle where you didn't see them every day really sucked, and there was that tremble to Jason's skin as he came to terms with it. Came to terms with how he was actually here now, and he was okay to leave and come on a two-week long trip with them. It was going to be incredible. After the hug was over with he slowly pulled away and quickly wiped at his eyes. "Oh, Jesus." He said, letting out a single laugh. "I better not let Nolan see me like this, or I'll never hear the end of it." He sniffled once and wiped his eyes with his forearm.

"It's great to see you again. I mean, I know I saw you recently, but... You know what I mean." He grinned. "Freedom tastes good, doesn't it? Seriously, I hardly slept last night because of how excited I was. Now here we are - and you're coming with us, I can't believe it. Am I lucky, or what?" He said, putting a hand on his shoulder and leading him towards the door once he'd picked his bag up. "I need to stop by my place, then we need to get Yab, but then we're hitting the road and getting on the way to Colorado." He grinned at the thought once again. "You look well, though. My mom and dad will be happy to see you out of hospital, I bet." He said. "You need to stop by your place, too?" He asked.

Stella did indeed help Jenna get the alcohol out of the house, and worse case scenario she figured she could lie her way out of it if they had no other option. But, she helped Jenna smuggle the alcohol out, lovely to her parents as ever, and shooed her into the car after helping her put her bags into the back. After getting into the car, she gave Jenna a quick high five and giggled quietly. "Am I getting an adrenaline rush?"

"Yes, my dear sweet innocent Stella Italia." Elmore grinned. "You're getting an adrenaline rush, and it's all because you're finally living on the edge." With that, Elmore began to speed off, going much faster than the speed limit allowed.

"Hey! I do live on the edge, and sometimes it's good not to- Like now! Slow down, asshole, or we won't be getting to Joe's at all, let alone Colorado, when you crash - or get caught by the police!" Stella groaned, followed by a mocking groan from Elmore, who did indeed slow down.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. I've slowed down." He smiled at her in the rear view mirror, and then at Jenna, before looking back to the road. "So, what are you guys most excited about? The booze? The booze? Or the booze?"

"Honestly, someone would think you were an alcoholic. Can't we be excited for the lake?"

"No. Boring. You're excited for the booze, and that's final."

"Elmo-"

"Don't make me turn this car around young lady!"

"Elmo."

He grinned at her through the mirror again, and drove on to Will's house.

-

"Freedom tastes better than Fortisip." Tate put his hand on his own heart before reaching down and picking up the bag of clothes that he had. He didn't have any alcohol, obviously he didn't have the chance to get any. However, there was a surprise waiting for him at home, not that he'd know that. "Which is why I'd like to get out of here, ASAP. This place kills me, ironically." He rolled his eyes and pulled the bag onto his back properly, but grinned again. "You think you're lucky?"

"Outside those doors is a world full of actual colour, and honestly you don't know lucky until you've been living in the white world of a hospital for months on end, and yes, I'd like to pop home for five to say hi and bye." He grinned, and as he was led to the doors the grin got wider, until he was finally out. He took a deep breath and raised his hands in the air in triumph his hands in the shape of fists, the fresh air hitting him on his face, no longer able to smell disinfectant and the smell of the mental health ward, where people wouldn't shower for weeks on end, or smeared their blood all over the walls.

He turned to look at Jason and grinned widely. "I'm so fucking ready. So, fucking, ready." He laughed, and cupped his hands around his mouth, yelling: "See you later, fuckers!"

With that, he turned and ran to the car, getting in to the passenger seat.

"Well, lucky for you we're going for milkshakes before we hit the road. Food, too. No more of that liquid shit or dealing with the hospital's bad cooking, right?" He grinned. "This is gonna' be incredible, dude, I assure you of that much. I've been putting so much thought into the planning of this." He said. "Luckily, we've got Elmore's family letting us use the cabin - but that's fine. We'll clean up before we leave. I'm talking about everything else - there are no buildings for a good few miles from where we're staying, which means we can be loud as we fuckin' want out there, and it won't make a difference to us or anyone else. We can just go crazy, and no one will no any better. If that doesn't sound like a dream come true? I don't know what does." He said. "I know where all the stores are within a five-mile range, and, I've looked at the weather and we're looking at clear skies for the most part." He said.

"Even if there is some rain, we kinda' have a whole cabin to stay in, so who cares?" He said. "Still, I know this place in and out, I know all the exits I need to take on the highway - Damn, dude, I even looked up traffic on the way there during my last class. I'm totally ready for this.:"

When he yelled out to the hospital, Jason quickly broke off in a run to get to the car, "Oh, shit." He laughed; he jumped in immediately and put the car in gear, getting out of there as quick as he could manage. He was going to win this race, but, he wasn't going to push the speed limit. He'd been taught well to not let fun and games take over his head when he was out on the road. His parents promised to confiscate his car if he was ever caught speeding - or had an accident that was his fault. Yup, they had a dash cam fitted in his car, but, he was grateful for that. Some fucker cyclist dinged his car not too long ago - thanks to the dashcam, the cyclist paid every last nickel for the repair.

"Hey, man." Nolan reached over the back of the seat and patted Tate's shoulder. "Good to see you again. It's been a long time." He said. Obviously he'd visited him a few times, but, Nolan was always busy with... Something. It was hard to make plans with him, really - they knew he wouldn't cancel on them for this because it had been planned for so long. "Right, so, now it's jus Yab we gotta' get, right?"

"Yup, then us two need to head back for a few minutes to grab some stuff and say bye to people - then we'll get a move on."

"Alright." He shrugged.

So, without further hesitation, they went off to Yab's part of town. Around here, police were more scarce. Jason was happy enough to crank up the speed just a little bit seeing as it was unlikely there'd be anyone to pull him over. He got as close as he could get to where Yab lived and dropped him a text.

'Outside now. asap pls buddy'

Nolan looked around. He'd been here plenty of times before, but, there was nothing stopping him from making a joke.

"You sure you want to park here, Jase? Your tires might get stolen." He said, then started laughing. Jason grinned and shook his head.

"Very good, Nolan. If someone tries to steal something, I suppose it makes us lucky we have the big bad football player with us, isn't it?" He asked.

"Too right."

Tate grinned at Nolan in the rear view mirror, but then turned around to look at him properly. "Good to see you too. Honestly it's just good to see anyone right now, anyone other than those nurses. Fuck, man, it's just good to be out." He turned back round to face the front, keeping on a brave face when they mentioned Yab. We both know that they're under the 'friend' category, but you don't know what for yet.

It's probably not what you suspect. Tate and Yab are not romantically involved, in case that's the idea you got. But they are definitely not friends. Even though they pretend to be. Or rather, Tate pretends to be.

It was no secret that Yab was an asshole. Just how much, when no one else was around?

Tate just smiled and looked out of the window, tapping his fingers on his leg. So far, nothing had hindered him, and he just planned to keep out of Yab's way for a while, and hoped that things would just be civil. It was safe to say Yab hadn't visited Tate in the hospital, always excusing himself if there was a group visit.

It was just when they were alone together, in a school hallway, in a classroom, when no one was looking... Online... Tate was an easy target. Yab was a bully.

Mostly.

When he received the text to come outside, he pulled the bag off his shoulders and grabbed the last remaining case of beer from the fridge, listening to his dad snore in the living room, before coming out of the house with the case held mighty and high above his head. He had more, of course. His dad didn't give a shit, and no one around here objected to selling the Deimos boy a case every now and then. The law was slack, around here. If anything, he was the biggest supplier of booze to his friends, especially in times like this.

He took the bags and the cases to the boot, and stuffed them in, before climbing into the back next to Nolan, behind Tate.

"What's up, motherfuckers. Get your fancy car out of my neighbourhood before Mrs Norris asks her son to make a pretty penny, boy, drive!" He wedged his knee into the back of Tate's seat, already making it uncomfortable for him to sit, and grinned widely. "Colorado!" He yelled, slapping his hands down onto Tate's shoulders, with enough force that, when he'd been underweight, could have knocked a shoulder out of place.

Not long after they were done there, they arrived at William's house, and believe me it didn't take long. If you counted how long it took, it was probably no more than a minute. You had to question how things were at home for him - Elmore had been there a couple of times. It was a nice in there - a nice suburban house, but, his family? His family were pretty distant with him. He was a foster kid, after all. He didn't seem to talk to anyone after going into his house. He was in and out, just like that.

He had his bags, and soon enough he was back in the car, not all that much different in mood from when he'd previously left.

"Alright, let's roll." He said. "Alcohol's in the back, too."

--

And before too long, here he was. In the car with them - the knee in the back wasn't something that stood out to Jason in particular, but, anyone who owns a car and cares about how it looks, inside and out, hates that kind of shit. Considering the car was more or less in perfect condition, they had a god-knows-how-long trip ahead of them, and people were bound to be getting fidgety... No way were knees and feet going anywhere near the seats. If he was going to have to scrub dust marks off the back of a seat, there'd be hell to pay.

"Alright, so, now that we're all here..." He said, simply, glancing in the rear view mirror. "There's some rules if you're in my car for a long drive - Music is controlled by me unless I say otherwise. Don't go out of your way to distract me when I'm on the highway, and last but not least..." He reached down under Tate's seat and pulled the little lever, sliding the chair forward a bit - doing this wouldn't only stop Yab from putting his knees up on the seat, it would also save Tate an uncomfortable journey, with a bit of luck. "No legs, feet, shoes, knees, or anything below the waist on the seats - or the dashboard." He looked at Tate and raised both his eyebrows, but smiled too. He knew Tate wouldn't do something like that.

Nolan shrugged, "Alright, man, whatever." He said. "You gonna' be this fun at the lake?" He asked.

Jason was already driving, "Uh-huh, definitely. If I find any footprints on my seats, I'm making you walk back from Colorado."

"Alright, alright..." Nolan raised a hand, "No legs up on the seats. Promise." He said. "Anyway..." He looked to Yab. "How's it cracking, man?" He asked.

Before long, though, they arrived at a much nicer neignborhood than the one they were in before. They were in Jason and Tate's neighborhood. They lived across the street from each other, too, so that made all of this so much easier. He pulled up on his driveway and turned the engine off. He took the keys again. As much as he trusted the two in the back... At the same time, he didn't.

"You two wait here. We won't be long." He said, simply.

Elmore grinned. "Nice, bud!" He knew about things at home for Will, he was his best friend after all, and so he knew that things weren't the best and that they weren't going to be hanging around there for very long. So, now it was time for the last person in the group to get their things - Stella.

He drove off but had to get directions from her. Though he'd been to her house before, he always took the wrong turning.

"Yeah, next left. Next- Elmo- Elmo LEFT!" Stella yelled out as he took the right, or should I say wrong, turning, once again. "For the fifty fucking hundredth time!" Stella slapped the back of his head in the back of the car and Elmore grinned, before turning around and heading back in the direction of her house.

"Left." Stella said. "How hard is a left?"

"I don't know, Stella, you tell me."

-

Tate was extremely happy that Jason moved his seat forward, and did a silent prayer that Yab wouldn't find another way to annoy him through this long journey. This was the only part of it that Tate wasn't going to enjoy - having to travel for so long with Yab behind him, it could be disastrous.

Yab didn't seem fussed about his plan being thwarted, he'd have many more chances to piss of Tate discretely anyway. He turned to Nolan and smiled. "All good in the hood, man. Glad it's the last day because if I had to deal with Miss Ginger Minge for any longer I think I would have killed myself or her. The world would only be missing me in that instance. She's the worlds shittest math teacher, Nolan. I'm not kidding. I could teach better math than her."

You're failing math. Tate thought to himself, and rolled his eyes, but when they reached his house he dived out of the car to go in and say goodbye to his parents, leaving his bully and friends in the car.

When he left, and Jason had, Yab turned to Nolan. "Does anyone know what's wrong with him? Is he gonna snap and kill us?"

-

Tate ran into the house and breathed in the familiar smell, a grin stretching onto his face. "Mom! Dad! Carlton! Lillie!" He yelled. "I'm finally free!"

From various rooms in the house, footsteps were heard. His younger sister, fourteen year old Lillie, darted down the stairs and pulled him into a hug. She hadn't seen him since the weekend, though his parents had this morning. Carlton didn't come running, only stood by the stairs looking down at his brother, a grimace on his face - no love lost between the siblings, but his relationship with his sister was thankfully much better.

"You're home?!" She grinned. "How long?"

"Five minutes." Tate laughed. "I'm going on holiday." He wiggled his eyebrows at her, and she laughed.

"Okay, yeah, sure, seriously?"

"Yep. Colorado with Jason and the others. I told you about it on WhatsApp."

"Yeah, but I didn't believe you'd actually be able to go!" She grinned. "This is so good!"

Tate did feel a slight bit of disappointment that Lillie didn't think he'd be able to go, but he hid it behind a smile.

"Of course he'd be able to. He's our fighter." That was Tate's mom, from the kitchen, and his dad yelled a 'here here' from the living room, before both appeared in the doorways of the rooms they were in, both holding gifts. His mother held a gift he didn't quite really want to see. A bag of his fortisips, for rough times, she said as she handed them to him, just in case, with a teary eye. He hid them in a plastic bag, something he didn't want others to know he had to have. His fathers gift, however, was met with a disappointed eye only from his mother.

A bottle of Jack Daniels whisky, and a bottle of Captain Morgans Spiced rum.

Tate grinned. "Really?"

"Well, I mean. I'd rather know you were drinking something good than some cheap alternative." His father shrugged, grinning, and handed him the bottles. "And you deserve a break."

"Just be sensible. And not all at once!" His mother scalded, a disapproving eye on her husband. "Christ. He's only sixteen."

"And out of hospital." Both Tate and his father responded.

The expression on his mothers face softened, and she pulled him into a hug. "You won't be able to call us, will you?"

Tate shook his head. "No, but if something goes wrong I'm sure Jason will look after me."

"God bless that kid." His mother smiled, and after a moment of holding Tate there, she patted him on the shoulder. "Right. Don't hold them up. Go, go on before I change my mind about the drinks. Let us know immediately when you need us. Even if Jason has to walk to a payphone. In fact." She reached into her purse and pulled out a quarter, thrusting it into his hand. "When you need us, you won't be broke. Ok?"

When. Not if.

Tate's heart sank slightly. "Bye." He pushed a smile onto his face and gave his mother a kiss on the cheek, same with his sister, before hugging his dad and jogging out of the door with his plastic bag hiding his fortisip, and his other hand holding the plastic bag with his alcohol. He put both in the back of the car and walked to the front door of Jason's, waiting for him to come out too.

"Nah, I don't think it's anything like that." Nolan replied, shaking his head. "I think Jason definitely knows, though. I mean, they've known each other for somethin' like 11 years, so, I bet he knows something about what's going on. I'm curious, too." He said. "I mean, we could squeeze Jason for it, if we wanted." He said. In truth, Nolan had always felt at competition with Jason - Jason caught the eye of more people, got looked up to my members of the friendship circle far more than he ever did, and generally, I guess Nolan was a bit envious of the life he lived. Jealousy is a killer, after all - Nolan had no intention of making Tate's life difficult, but Jason? Heck, if he could make things a little harder on him - and get more dirt on people in the process, then heck yeah, he'd do that.

He was sort of a one-track guy. He didn't think much about the repercussions.

--

Jason went straight into his house and got his bags together. He didn't need to do much else other than get those - his brothers were home, as were his parents. They wanted to see him off before they went off to work - it was going to be two weeks before they saw him again, after all. Jason had two brothers - One was 12, and the other was 7. The eldest one was called Michael - he was a handsome young man, much like Jason and their father, with dark hair and a rather gentle personality. The younger one of the two, Sebastian - or Seb, was quite the opposite. He was loud, funny to be around, outgoing, and always willing to playfight.

He got to the door and took the stuff down the driveway, shoving that in the trunk as quickly as he good. As long as the alcohol stayed hidden, that's what mattered more than anything. He went back to the front door and said goodbye to his parents, who weren't at all worried about him going for a couple of weeks. He was independent enough and with a good group of friends, so, they figured there wasn't really much to worry about.

As he was leaving the house, he had his brothers come to say bye, obviously. First it was Michael.

"So, two weeks?" He asked.

"Yup, two weeks." Jason nodded. "We'll do something when I get back, alright?"

"Sure, I don't mind." He nodded. "Have fun. Be careful, please." He pulled him into a hug.

402cf5f36246547d24ceffdf4e9a86a7.jpg
"Yeah. I will. What's the worst that could happen, I'm tough, remember?" He ruffled his hair and hugged him back. "You have fun. I'll try and call you if I get a chance, okay?" He smiled.

"Sure, alright." He nodded and backed up, letting Sebastian past him so he could say bye, too.

"Bye, Jason!" He chirped.

He was a dark-haired boy as well, but, much louder than his brother. Immediately, Jason leaned over and grabbed him around the waist, lifting him up and putting him on his shoulder.

"No!" He laughed, "Heeeeeeeeelp!" Seb yelled out, but, Jason soon put him down.

"Settle down. I'll see you in two weeks." He quickly hugged him and kissed him on the head, "Don't annoy your brother too much, okay?"

"I'll try." He grinned. "Have fun."

"Yup." He nodded, and off he went to the car. He hopped in and started the engine up and reversed the car over the road, stopping outside Tate's house instead. He leaned back and waited. He saw his brothers were waiting at the front door, clearly looking to wave him off. He wasn't complaining.

Elmore parked up outside of Stella's house eventually, and she jumped out and disappeared into the house without a word. She didn't have any siblings, just her parents and her, and so she didn't have many people to say goodbye to. However, because she didn't have any siblings, she didn't have anyone for her mother to fuss over for two weeks, so her mothers goodbye's were tearful, and she held onto her child for as long as she could before Stella's father finally rescued her from her grasps, slipping her a hundred dollar bill with the note attached saying: 'spend on the fake italian takeaways'.

She smiled at him, but they were now behind, and no way were they going to get to Joe's before Jason's lot, but that didn't mean that Elmore wouldn't try.

Once Stella was in the car with her booze tucked neatly in the back with her bag, and the 100 dollar bill tucked neatly into her pocket, Elmore hit the gas and sped away, only to take a wrong turn, somehow, getting lost on her road once again. Eventually he ended up in the right direction, and the race to Joe's was on.

-

Tate (not going to the door of Jason's house, but the car instead) ran straight inside, waving at his sister and parents and shooting a grin over to Jason's brothers. He climbed into the front after putting his items in the boot and rolled down the window so he could continue to wave to his family, who, though he'd only just been discharged, he now wouldn't see for another two weeks.

"So, to Joe's I hear?" Yab grinned. "Fat grease burger here I come." He grinned, and exchanged a look with Nolan - he definitely wanted to get under these two's skin. They could find a way, he was sure, they could both find a way to get what they wanted out of the two that annoyed them most. Yab was so annoyed by how weak Tate was, by how puny. He was a target, and he didn't make it any better for himself.

Tate leaned back into his seat with the window still rolled down, smiling slightly as he watched the world go by. Free, at last, he watched the world through the side mirrors, eventually a grin spreading on his face. "Elmo's behind us." He grinned.

And he was damn determined to win this race, but... He just couldn't find an opportunity to overtake. There was no way he would win.

"Yup, Joe's is exactly where we're going. We're racing Elmore there, but, combine his poor ability to follow directions and the people he has with him, he's going to be waaaaaay behind us, meaning he gets to unload all the bags for us. That was his bet, after all." He winked in the rear-view, and after starting the engine, he reversed out and made a move. He waved to his brothers one last time - he was gonna' miss them, oddly enough. He saw them every day and more often than not they wanted his attention way too often, but, it would be strange without them. Like he said to Michael, they'd do something together when he got back. For the next two weeks, he'd be drinking, swimming, and getting a nice tan, hopefully. It was going to be hot in Colorado for some time now, so, they had nothing to worry about. One day of rain wouldn't hurt, either. He imagined they'd be tired after a while, and a day in the cabin would be very much appreciated.

He'd have to wait and see how things played out. After the diner, he was going to be driving for a total of roughly eight hours, which meant by the time they arrived, it was going to be more or less midnight. It was over four hundred miles - So, it was lucky he'd had his car serviced a month prior. There was nothing wrong with it, but, he had a spare tire in the back and his dad had taught him how to replace one years ago. Providing nothing else went wrong, a blown tire was something they could handle easily enough.

He knew one thing, too - he'd be keeping a close eye on Tate while they were here. He knew his parents would probably want that - parents from both families, in fact, and he was sure that Tate's younger siblings would appreciate him having a watchful eye over him as well. He knew that Michael would be really grateful - and more at ease for the two weeks - if he knew that someone was watching out for him. Luckily, his brothers didn't see him as the sort of person that needed 'looking out for'.

Not yet, at least.

So, without further ado, they drove back into the city and made a line right for Joe's Diner. It was one of the best diners on this side of the city - which meant one thing. This was the place to be if you wanted good service, good food, and good milkshakes all in one.

"He's behind us? Ha!" He laughed, and while driving on, he slowed down just a little bit and looked over his shoulder, flashing Elmo the middle finger through the back window, a big shit-eating grin on his face. Nolan decided to join in and did the exact same thing, winking at the car behind them. The race was won. He zoomed to the nearest parking bay he could find (it was hard to get parked here seeing as it was a public parking lot, but, luckily it was limited to customers only. Only problem was, on a day like this, when school was out and the kids had nothing to do, everyone came here), and he went just past it, threw the car into reverse and spun it in with ease. No problem. They were parked up and ready to go right there and then.

"And that's us." He smiled. "I've got the road trip all planned out, so, once we've got our drinks, I'll get the print-outs I've got and show you where we're going." He said. "I've already planned the stops we'll have. Trying not to stop too many times, only for fuel and a food, drink, and bathroom break. Should get there around midnight, but most likely one o'clock." He said. "Let's just hope the locks ain't been changed on the cabin, right?" He chuckled.

He looked as Elmore's car came into the parking lot.

"Anyway, let's go get a table."

The race was on, and they quickly bet Elmore to Joe's, large grins on their faces. It was the beginning of summer, they could be doing whatever they wanted right now, and they truly were. Nothing was better than hanging out with friends with the promise of time just for them, in a place only they could go, in the middle of nowhere.

Tate expected this to be quite therapeutic for him too, in a way, so long as Yab stayed off his back.

Yab knew he wouldn't be staying off his back.

Anyway, Tate smiled at the idea of going in for milkshakes, and climbed out of the car, followed by Yab, who was quick to complain about, well, something.

"Oh, man. Starting to think driving with Elmore is probably a better idea. He's probably a lot more fun than mister organised." Yab yawned, but then smiled - he meant no harm, or so he portrayed. "Whatever. I'm probably going to nap. Feel sorry for you, though."

Tate smiled at Jason. "Even if these guys sleep, I'll keep you company. And... It's a long drive. I'm sure no one would mind taking over the wheel." Tate shrugged. "If you needed."

Anyway, Elmore's car pulled up outside Joe's and he shook an angry fist at Jason before hopping out of the car. "I tried! I tried so hard! Now the bet has backfired on me. Whatever, I'm sure I'll be able to figure something out for the next race that I do." Elmore grinned, before going over to Tate and holding up his hand for a high five. "Welcome back, bud. Good to see you again."

"You too, Elmo." Tate smiled, and when Stella came over and hugged him, he hugged her back too.

"Okay. Enough with pleasantries. Let's go eat, ladies and gents, or drink, or whatever you want. We all know I'm going to be getting the triple burger." Elmore clapped his hands together. "Let's go, let's go!"

He ushered the group over to the entrance, flashed a smile to the familiar waitress and took them over to their usual groups large booth in the corner of the restaurant. They always sat there, unless it was taken, but it rarely was. It was such a large booth, it didn't much get occupied.

"Well, feel free to switch cars. I'm sure people who don't put feet on the seats would love to swap places, eh?" He shrugged, and of course he smiled back, but he'd learned well enough that if Yab was the kind of company Nolan kept, then you should take everything said with a pinch of salt. He may have been serious in every word he'd said back to him - but if he made it seem like a joke, there was just that underlying sense of hostility instead of one that was out in the open and ready to fly off the rails. If he was capable of disagreeing with Nolan, then he was definitely capable of disagreeing with Yab. Sometimes they could be as bad as each other - other times? They could be worse than each other, too - neither scenario was particularly pleasant. They just needed this time away to settle down and unwind away from the school life. Hopefully that would be possible out in Colorado. It was the land of the free, for real, not the one that was advertised on the TV.

"We'll definitely switch, yup." Jason nodded as he locked the car. "I can't drive for eight hours solid. It won't work out well." He said. "Whenever we stop for food, we'll switch then and you can take over, if you'd like. Once we get far enough into the journey, the rest of the route we have to take should be pretty obvious. It's getting out into the forest that'll be the hard part in a car like this." He nodded back to his vehile, "Elmore won't struggle in his, but, we'll have to take it slow unless you want to end up fucking the suspension." He said. He had a fair bit of money saved for the trip, and his parents had slipped him some cash, too - It was more of a 'just in case' fund. If they ended up getting sick and needed to see a doctor out of town, or something, then at least there'd be enough to cover some sort of medical bill. Not only that, but, his mom didn't want them all eating junk food.

Even though, in all honesty, that's exactly what would be happening.

Speak of the devil, and Elmore was there.

"Yup, you lose this one, buddy." He said. "Don't worry. Maybe you'll stand a shred of a chance in our next bet - but I wouldn't count on it if I were you." He winked.

And they went inside and were seated rather quickly. Jason already knew he'd be going for something big - looked like it was going to be the triple bacon cheeseburger for him, with a large strawberry milkshake and curly fries instead of regular fries. He needed something that would keep him going until later on this evening.

Once they were all settled and all their orders were made, Jason pulled a few pieces of folded paper and slid them over to Elmore. "For you, sir." He said, simply, "I know how bad you are with directions, and I don't want to have to loop back because you ended up in Arizona rather than Colorado." He grinned. "Directions - From here to exactly where the cabin's at. You'll be following closely behind me all the same, but, if we get separated, you won't be completely in the dark. You have your GPS, I know, but this is a failsafe if the GPS pisses you off too much."

He paused for a minute, "And don't fuckin' crash into the back of me." He chuckled.

As they all slid into the seats, and the directions were slid to Elmore, Stella began to laugh, pointing at him with a grin on her face. "As if everyone knows you enough now to know you can't follow directions for shit." Stella laughed, holding her stomach with one hand and wiping a tear away with the other. "You're so bad at directions, Elmore, I don't know how you get from school to your house."

Elmore, slightly red, pocketed the instructions in the inside pocket of his football jacket. "You do forget, Jason, that this is my family cabin, and a humiliated man is a dangerous one, especially a humiliated man with the keys to the only place you can stay." He smirked at him, and leaned back, putting his arms up on the back of the booth. "Just saying."

The waitress walked over then, smiling familiarly. "Hey guys. Last day of school, right?" She looked at Elmore, the loudest of the bunch, as she spoke.

"Yes ma'am. Last day of school and first evening of summer break."

"You celebrating?" She smiled, leaning against the table slightly.

"Hell yeah. We're driving to Colorado, staying in the family lake house." Elmore grinned.

"Awesome. So you kicking it off with the usual, guys?"

Elmore considered for a moment. "For me, yes. Usual. Can't go wrong with a triple and large fries. But.. Large chocolate milkshake, ma'am."

"Got you." She turned to Stella, next.

"Um... Let's make it a large hot dog this time, on the road for a long time." Stella smiled, and Elmore jabbed her rib under the table. "Oh shut up, Elmore."

"You like it large-"

"Elmore."

"And for you?" The lady turned to Yab.

"Yeah, just a hot dog burger with mac n' cheese top." Yab grinned. One of the most disgusting combination meals on the menu, honestly.

She wrote it down before turning to Tate. "Anything for you?"

She hadn't seen him in a long time. And the time before that, well, he most likely wouldn't have ordered anything at all. And he still struggled, admittedly, with the idea of eating in front of people - he may have been a healthy weight, but it didn't mean a healthy mind.

"Uh, nah. I'm good."

"Okay. For you?" She pointed to Jason next.

"You have the keys, Elmore, but I count... One, two, three, four, five, six, seven people that would gladly take the side of 'we want the key', hm?" He said, then leaned forward on the table and lowered his voice to a whisper. "And out there, Elmo... No one can hear you scream." He said, making his voice as eerie as he could manage, but then he let out a single laugh and slapped his shoulder. "You'll thank me for those directions, believe me. That's the most fuel-efficient route and the one that avoids toll booths. I'm helping you out, pal."

As for when the waitress got to him...

"I'll have the triple bacon cheeseburger with curly fries, and a large strawberry milkshake, please." He said. He looked to Tate for a minute and took a deep breath. He hoped that this break would go okay - he didn't want them to be up shit creek with him, health-wise, with nowhere to go in the case of an emergency. He was the only one who knew about Tate's situation, though, other than their families. Jason knew that this was probably one of the worse places to bring him - especially with the whole crowd. A milkshake wasn't out of the question, hopefully. He didn't know. He didn't want to pressure him, but at the same time, he didn't want to just... let things be in a bad spot - especially if there was the chance he could help change things, even if it wasn't anything major. He did have one idea, though.

"And, um... I'll take a plain burger to go, as well." He nodded to her. "Maybe some bottled water, too? Just for the road, y'know?" He said. Maybe he'd give it to Tate once Nolan and Yab had inevitably got tired and fallen asleep in the back. He noticed over time that it didn't take much to bore them. Or he'd just offer it to him after a while of driving, while it was still warm. For once he wished that it was just him and Tate in the car by themselves. No Yab, no Nolan. At least that way they could talk about things without those two eavesdropping and recording it on their phones or god knows what. That was going to be the one hard part, really - they weren't going to get much time just as the two of them until after they got to the cabin, and seeing as Tate had been away for so long... They had a fair bit of catching up to do.

Jenna spoke, "I'll just have a cheeseburger with fries, and a vanilla milkshake, please."

Nolan cut in right after, "Ignore this guy's order," He nodded to Yab. "Hotdog burger? C'mon." He shook his head and grinned. "I'll take the stack burger and chocolate milkshake. Make it an extra-large for me, eh?" He smiled.

And finally, Will. "Just a basket of the fries for me, with some ketchup." He nodded. "And... I'll have a black coffee, please."

And that was that.

The waitress wrote all these things down and nodded slowly, before smiling. Well, Yab did cut in, though.

"No, no, don't ignore my order. Hot dog burger with mac and cheese on top. If I don't get it, I will riot." Yab stabbed his knife into Nolan's stomach, obviously not hard, he wasn't bullying his best friend.

The waitress smiled before heading off to go give their orders to the chefs, and after that it was just them again, at the table, waiting.

And talking. Obviously.

Elmore spoke up immediately, the ever chatty young man that he was. "Yab, you order some disgusting shit."

"Hey, nothing in this place is disgusting when you've been dealing with your own cooking for the last three months. Since mom up and left-" and yes, he was open about this and didn't care- "my dad and I have been struggling to even cook rice, or beans, or some stupid shit like that. I'll take the hot dog burger with mac, n' I will enjoy it."

"Truly disgusting." Stella laughed.

"I might get one to go." Elmore pondered, grinning comically. "I've always wondered what it'd be like to combine the three best things in the world, actually."

"How can you call me disgusting then?"

"Everything you do is disgusting, Yabetz. You reek of a lack of sophistication that means that you cannot gracefully eat your delightful experiment of a meal. I, however, hold the class of a true English sophisticate-"

"Bollocks." Both Stella and Yab piped up.

Tate was quiet, but smiling, leaning back in his seat and watching the interaction. He'd been gone so long, it was going to... Well, in a way, be weird to get back into talking with everyone again.

"You put a knife on me again and it's going right up your ass, pal." Nolan pointed a finger at him, but then reached over and forcefully ruffled his hair. That was one of Nolan's not so nice moves - the people he didn't like, but didn't hate enough to hurt, would get that treatment. Or if they were close enough to him, they got that, too. Imagine walking into school, brushing past the person who gives you shit, thinking you got away with it, but then feeling a firm hand clasp down on your head and fuck up the hair you spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get it to look right? It's humiliating. It's like winning a race but having the trophy taken away from you. At least among friends there was a lack of people who would judge you too harshly - but they'd happily laugh at you if one of the pack went out of their way to embarrass you.

That's kinda' the thing that sucks ass about big groups of friends. At the end of the day it can be very dog-eat-dog, and you can often be let down by the people you trust most.

But let's not get too deep. This is a happy moment for them, after all.

"Look, my two cents is free in this argument." Jason held up a hand, "Hotdogs and mac and cheese will give you one thing - fiery shits, okay?" He laughed. "Let's see, you've got the mac and cheese which has got so much fat in it you may as well tie a few rubber bands around your arteries, and hotdogs are all a load of processed bullshit - You've got some bones, pig balls, fat from beef. Combine the two and you're in for one hell of a night, and Yab, if you shit yourself in my car, you get to walk the rest of the way." He winked. "And that's another thing... Sounds like someone's been watching too much of our favorite Brit, Gordon Ramsay. Bollocks? What are we even?" He looked around.

"Now, the British are almost as bad as the French. But not quite. I mean, I could slate the English as much as I like, but at the end of the day it was my home country that pussied out in the war, so, I guess that makes my opinion invalid." He held up his hands. "In all seriousness, though - Yab, you need to try some French food. Y'know, some real food. Then your tune will change, I promise."

"Bull-to-the-shit, you eat as much junk as the rest of us." Nolan waved a hand and shook his head.

"Around you guys, maybe. You're looking at parents that forced me to learn piano and violin, pal. You think I don't get forced to eat healthily? It takes work to look this good." He tensed his arms up at his sides, but, it was clearly a joke more than anything. He lowered his arms back down. "And if any of you make the whole 'all the French eat is frogs, baguettes, and snails' joke, then I'm going to go out of my way to prove you wrong. Plus, Tate's eaten plenty of French food at my place. I'm sure he'd agree you can't do better. Isn't that right?" He looked at Tate and gently nudged him.

"This is the part where you say yes." He whispered to him, but it was obviously loud enough for everyone else to hear.

Yab didn't care about his hair, and instead grinned widely and ran his hand through it to just straighten it out slightly. "Man, I ain't gonna care if I get the shits, it ain't my bathroom, and it certainly is gonna taste good going in." He laughed, leaning back in his seat. He winked at Elmore, before laughing again.

"Hey, it ain't my bathroom either, but we're there for two weeks. Maybe we should try keep the bathroom clean." Elmore laughed, looking around at everyone.

A bright idea came over Stella.

"Hey! Idea! Whichever team gets to... Next stop, service station, I presume?" She grinned, and Tate nodded in confirmation. "Has to clean up the bathroom when Yab definitely shits all over it after having to hold in a mac n' cheese, hot dog and burger." She laughed. "Deal?"

Yab laughed again. "Deal, but with Elmore's track record of losing, we'll probably be on the winning side of the deal."

"God, if anything is motivation enough, it's not having to clean up your shit." Elmore wrinkled his nose as the milkshakes and drinks were placed down on the table, making their way around to each person. Food would only be five minutes longer.

"Ugh. Anyway, enough about shit. Let's not focus on that right now." Stella laughed. "Hey, instead... What's everyone looking forward to the most? I'll start-"

"That's so gay." Yab interjected, and Stella sent him a stare before continuing.

"I'm looking forward to swimming in the lake. Oh, and rule, you can't say the same thing as anyone else."

"Oh, nuh-uh." Jason cringed. "I like to think I've got a guardian angel looking over me now, because y'know what? The one place we're gonna' be stopping at is gonna' be one of those bigger service stops. Which means public restrooms, which means... Any mess that's made in one of the... What, ten bathroom stalls? That's not a mess for any of us to clear up. So, you've definitely got a deal. Technically, getting someone else to do it also counts as cleaning up, doesn't it?"

"Or if you're lucky like me and Stella, you won't be part of this deal, because we're girls. Lucky us." Jenna said.

Will finally spoke, "I've heard the stories. Women's restrooms are just as bad - if not worse."

Jenna shrugged a little, but, Jason spoke. "Let's change the subject, definitely."

Stella had a nice subject - ignoring Yab's comment, of course - so they were up for this.

Will smiled, "Huh. I'm gonna' beat all of you to the count with this one - The thing I'm most looking forward to?"

"Don't you dare." Jason said.

"Oh, you son of a bitch..." Nolan said, quietly.

"- Alcohol." Will clapped his hands together.

"Goddammit!" Jason gently slammed his head down on the table.

Will simply laughed. He knew everyone was thinking of saying that, or almost everyone, so he figured that beating them to it would force them all to come up with something interesting. Something that didn't evolve around getting drunk.

"Okay, okay, me next." Nolan said, "I am looking forward tooooooooo..." He thought for a moment. "A little surprise I've got for all of us. All will be revealed soon."

"That's worrying." Jenna scratched her mouth and smiled a little. "On the back of that..." She thought for a second, "I'm looking forward to just being... Free, y'know? Like, no one but us." She said.

"Good, good." Jason nodded, "I'm looking forward to being away from my parents. I mean, your parents, god bless 'em, know how to put a downer on things, don't they? You stay up too late, they charge in and 3 in the morning and tell you to go to bed... You wake up in the morning and they're rushing you around even though you're about to go to the hell we call school - they play favorites with your younger siblings... Being away from them is a godsend, dude." He said. "What about the rest of you? Don't everyone speak at once." He chuckled. "Tate? Elmo? Yab?" He asked.

Yab put his fingers on his temples and pretended to think hard.

"Don't think too hard, Yab. You might just shit yourself in advance." Elmore laughed.

"Yeah, using muscles you don't use that often might put you in a sore state." Stella nodded, and grinned.

Tate said nothing so far, but he was smiling, and happy. He just wasn't able to interject like the other guys were, not comfortably yet, at least. Give him a few days, but for now he was happy to watch, incredibly happy even, even if he didn't like Yab. Things were still funny.

Yab flipped them off before finally speaking. "I'm most looking forward too... Crap, alcohol has been taken. Okay. Greasy junk food that doesn't have to be prepared by me. And inevitably pushing someone in the lake."

Elmo banged his hand on the table. "Pushing someone in the lake was mine!" He turned and pouted at Stella, the rule maker.

"Sorry, gotta think of another."

"Okay, it's pushing Yab down the stairs."

"Be serious, Elmo."

"Fine. Fine, okay. I am most looking forward to having no rules. However, I do not believe this will happen, with miss rule maker over here." Elmo tutted, but grinned.

"Hey, you should see the rules we have in Jason's car." Yab grinned.

"Anyway, what about you, Tate?" Stella interjected, smiling, polite.

"Uh..." He leaned forward and put his hands flat on the table. There were so many things he could say, so many things he was looking forward to. Being able to be free, to be out of hospital.

"I'm just looking forward to being with my friends." Tate smiled.

"And Yab." Elmore added, grinning, and Yab flipped him off. Tate leaned back in his seat again, and, almost as if on cue, the food was brought out to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back