Level 5 Earth Hearthstone effect ideas?

I ask about this with regards to what happened last night in the gaming session.

The PC's managed to penetrate deep in to Denandsor, and at some point, a few of them got inside the gigantic Temple to the 5 Elemental Dragons, which did happen to be a level 5 Earth Aspect manse. Now, no one thougt to get the hearthstone the first time in, but on the way out of the city while everyone was running away and escaping, one of the night castes swung by to pick up the Hearthstone. I hadn't actually thought about what the hearthstone effect does specifically, and was wondering about some ideas.

What would be a suitable kind of effect that the Immaculates would want from such a Temple? The only level 5 effects in print is the Wyld Bane in aspect book Earth, and the Gem of Immortality from the Bo3C/S&S. There's nothing on the exalted wiki boards unfortunately, and so I was wondering if people have any ideas?

the first thing that comes to mind is Anteus from greek myth-

perhaps the stone gives regeneration (a la lunar) to the person attuned as long as they have their feet on the ground like Anteus

or perhaps it has the same armor statistics as super heavy plate but it counts as 'natural' so you can use it w/ martial arts (this couls always block lethal with hands and feet

Medusa's power of turning men to stone with her gaze fits so i guess that would be a charmlike power but with no essense expenditure

stoneskin (a la earthdawn) might allow you to soak aggrivated with your 'natural' lethal soak (but might make you heavier or something like that)

perhaps it has a charmlike power that grants its user to call forth some geologic force like a volcano, earthquake or mudslide

I like those ideas myself. Of course, having a nice stone won't mean a thing if they aren't attuned to the manse. And if they are attuned, then giving them something really nice like any listed above would be good. Or maybe something that can control the Guardians of the city could be good. It'd give them a nifty power, if slightly limited.

I suppose it has to be asked: what if someone else already has the Hearthstone, and is already attuned?  That the Night Caste has gone back, will the character or player pick up on the clue that there might be a player in the neighborhood they haven't picked up on yet?  

It can be an easy way to duck the idea of handing out a Hearthstone just like that, but can the characters attune and hold onto the Manse?  If not, then the stone is a bauble that might sell to the right bidder, but be otherwise useless to them. Collecting toys that you're not able to use...that might be an interesting bit of plotting there, as the folks who are interested in the place may go looking for the Hearthstone, rather than wait for another to generate.  Which will mean a few interesting pursuit scenes, a couple of chances at thieves hitting them, or even a full blown attack.

2 more ideas for you

1 prizm stone- this stone refracts light around a character allowing him to cast visual illusions around himself like a cloak. This is ONLY a visual effect but within its limits its very powerful make a manipulation+occult- this is the result needed on an opposed roll ( this can be almost any kind of interaction) to pierce the illusion

you could use it to alter your appearance or just become invisible although acting and some ingenuity might be necisary as you may be able to look like a toad or a goat but if someone bumps into your chest they still get a perception tost to pierce the illusion.

2 actually adresses the other problem you had- what if the stones power allows its owner to leave it as a trap against unwitting Exalts? hehehe its effects can be almost anything but regardless its owner leaves it for people like your characters to pick it up and it allows him to visit some horrible fate on them causes an earthquake or volcanic eruption when picked up turns them to stone or any of the things I mentioned before

my favorite idea is a stone of the most glorious blue diamond the Heart of Strife I call it- this stone is coveted by its target(s) and causes all communication between such parties (or anyone casually glancing at the stone) to be filtered through total greed a simple comment about the beauty of the stone might be interprted as a grave insult or declaration of war furthermore Exalted under its effects recieve 1 extra point of limit any time they gain limit in the stones presence

you can give the stone to them and it could be useful in an insidious way but I think it makes a better Signature Item for a big bad guy every time the characters get a little high in the saddle they might get a visit from  'Jorak Lord of Strife' hehe maybe he is a total monster and kills the characters families or maybe he is devilishly mischevious reaking havok in the kingdom or in the circle and then dissapearing

such a character should be spooky, mysterious and rarely seen his motivations strange or unknown

hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back