Journal Late Night Regrets

Silver Tsar

At my work I see dozens, hundreds of people. Many of them are just another face in the crowd, a veritable water molecule in an unending ocean. But I recognized her.

The only person I've ever fallen in love with was free-spirited, sweet, and cheerful. I remember the memories we shared, running around the streets I grew up on, thinking the world was like a song or a story. It was because of them I wanted to become a writer, and revel in fantastic worlds, sharing the wonders of imagination with them. I remember wanting to travel with her, and see the sights of Europe and many places farther afield. I remember thinking of growing old together, of achieving our dreams together, and just the simple things - coming home from work and seeing their bright luminous smile, writing letters and poems together, telling a quiet joke and hearing their lyrical laugh.

It was all for naught.

My own insecurities, my own fears, my own selfishness; these were the sins that destroyed my ideas of tomorrow. For want of confidence and courage and compassion, I nailed the coffin on those dreams shut. My own naivety, in trusting that all would end well when I spoke a lie to protect her, ultimately spelled the end. When she moved away, I missed her but knew all would end well, for stories always end with a happy ending, and isn't life but a story writ large?

I was wrong.

My lie caught up with me. Everything crumbled. My love believed the words of others, that I never felt for her as I truly did. I could have explained, I could have told her the truth that I loved her, but fear held my tongue. When she, in what I can only presume to be her anger and sadness and grief, asked that I exit her life forever, I acquiesced. My own rage and frustration and grief caused me to erase any way of contacting her. I did as she asked, and left her alone.

Life goes on.

I moved on, and have lived my life since as best I can. I matured and saw all the mistakes, both minor and major, I made in our relationship. I accepted that what was will never come to pass again. I vowed to look ever forward, and to grow from my mistake. And I did; I have. Seeing her reawoke old regrets. Not regrets over what might have been, or could have been, or any of that, but regrets about my own actions and the pain I caused. I regret that pain. I pray to whatever is out in the universe that she is happy - she deserves it. Late at night, I remember and think about what could have been, but accept for reality what is; the loss of her has made me who I am today and though I can acknowledge my faults, I can also acknowledge my virtues and both have come about because of my life up till now.

I guess I'm writing this just as a memorial of sorts. I never told my friends, nearly all of whom I met after the events described above, what happened, and since then I've kept my feelings on the matter bottled up. The sight of her, 7+ years later, reawoke the need to tell someone, anyone, of what transpired. And so I have.

I write not to ask for pity but to organize my thoughts and make my final peace. I realize and recognize that many suffer far greater then I do; take not my writing as a plea for sympathy or a desire to be read, but as an action of healing. The last seven years I have always been tormented by my actions, and now I have come to realize it is time to accept what is, and make the most of what will be. Our paths diverged, and thus it is and shall always be. I can only hope she finds some measure of happiness in someone worthy of her, just as I might one day find a small piece of happiness in someone worthy of me.

Late Night regrets, I think this would be a good overall thing for people to write in, mine are those "One last turns" for civilization, or that one extra league game.

Late night regrets, huh?

Clicking the 30 minute video in my reccomended at 2:36 AM. And needing to finish it now.

In all seriousness I hope that writing this helped, and I'm sure it did. I'm glad you've come to terms with everything, and I wish you the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back