• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom ❉ lacuna*: fruits basket

The Dragon

Zhou Rui Xi

"Chipper as always, Reiji," Rui Xi replied sardonically as the Cat approached her.

As acerbic as he acted, she knew that he hated his curse just as much as she did, if not more. Where she still had thirteen years with her parents, he was robbed of a mother and father, all in the name of a narcissist and his cult. Yori, by contrast, seemed at peace with his lot in life or perhaps, adept at hiding his pain. He made for the perfect buffer between them, a light between a cloud and a thunderstorm.

Once he arrived, she gave him a nod and "thank you for coming" before speaking.

"The reason I called the two of you is because I believe the key to breaking this curse lies in the past. If we can discover what exactly led to this curse then we can figure out how to break it." Direct, formal, emotionless, the anger from Fukuoka had evaporated, replaced by her corporate cadence. Regardless of their personal history, the history of their ancestors mattered more.

"The tale goes that the Cat's betrayal is the sole reason for the curse we all bear; however, that explanation is far too simple for the system the servants set up for us."

Her eyes flickered to Reiji's for a split second before continuing.

"I want to know why the Cat betrayed the God, how the servants found their way into our business, and why no other generation has broken the curse before. Given the amount of Zodiac-related artifacts located in this museum, it shouldn't be too hard to find a lead, small as it might be." She headed into the museum, only turning back once to ensure that Reiji and Yori were following her. "You might not be responsible for the sins of your Zodiac, but I'd rather we find something than sit around for another eighty days."

Rui Xi waved her phone in front of the ticket kiosk, allowing the three of them to pass the lobby and stop in front of the board displaying the museum's layout. "I'll investigate the Edo Period and work my way west. The two of you can decide between the north and east wings so long as we can cover the rest of the museum before late afternoon. We can reconvene on the second floor where they're holding the cultural exhibit and tackle the last bit together."

mood | Irritated with Purpose
scroll

location | Izumi Museum of Art, Hiroshima

tag | Reiji kunikuzushi kunikuzushi Yori Skryeb Skryeb

/* ------ credit -- do not remove ------ */

© weldherwings.

the horse

kenta
wata-
nabe

[tab=Tab]

outift: here
interactions: leviohsa leviohsa
[/tab][/tab][/tabs]

Kenta's chuckle was soft, laced with warmth as he lightly bumped his shoulder against Akane's. "Well, if you ever need to make a quick escape, you know where to find your trusty horse," he teased, a playful glimmer dancing in his eyes.

As Akane's frown deepened, Kenta observed her with patience, allowing her the space to gather her thoughts. When she broached the delicate topic of their God, a fleeting expression of surprise flitted across Kenta's features. Being asked about Arashi by anyone, let alone Akane, was not something he expected. His history with their God was complicated, to say the least. Kenta wondered if the knots in his stomach would ever fully untangle. Even after all this time, just the mention of Arashi's name was enough to stir unrest. He shifted uneasily, his hand instinctively rising to massage the back of his neck.

"You're right," Kenta admitted softly, as if reassuring himself more than Akane, "letting go of him isn't exactly... easy." Too often, he wondered if staying had been wiser than fleeing - if coming to understand, rather than condemn, might have mended what broke between them. But what's done was done. It hadn't been easy to lose God's favor, no matter how hard he tried to hide behind bitter words and angry defiance.

Akane's words hinted at a struggle that extended beyond the surface, a conflict of emotions that weighed heavily on her heart. Kenta could see that it bothered her, this power that the God had on her that she couldn't break away from. It felt ironic that she was coming to him for advice on it, when even he hadn't truly broken away from Arashi. Could any of them really? The curse's power over them all was absolute, with no signs or hope of breaking.

"They're not the same person that I knew all those years ago. But it sounds like you've found comfort in their presence," he remarked, almost nostalgically. "That can be hard to let go of once you've had a taste of it."

His hands twitched in his pockets, and he dug his nails into his palms. Instinctively, he wanted to urge Akane to run before it was too late for her. Don't suffer like I did, he wanted to say. But he restrained himself as old scars throbbed beneath the surface. Was it jealousy he felt, to know that Akane still had a choice in the matter? He had not been so fortunate.

Kenta wanted nothing more than to shield Akane from the same pain he endured. But he held his tongue, knowing she had to walk her own path, however stormy it may be. "If you're not happy playing by his rules, then maybe it's time to change the game. Easier said than done, I know..." he continued, his voice firm. He offered her an encouraging smile, his gaze unwavering. "But I believe in you. You're stronger than you realize. Just the fact that you're here questioning it, is proof enough."

He meant his words of encouragement sincerely. Akane did not deserve to feel trapped. If only helping her was as simple as willing the knots in his heart to untie. For now, all he could offer was a listening ear and his unwavering support. The rest was up to Akane—and whether she could withstand the raging tempest ahead.

He shook his head dismissively when she apologized. "You're not alone in this, Akane," Kenta affirmed, his voice soft but firm. "And if you ever need someone to talk to or a shoulder to lean on, I'm around." Not like he was going anywhere else for the next 80 days.

coded by weldherwings.

Kenta's chuckle was soft, laced with warmth as he lightly bumped his shoulder against Akane's. "Well, if you ever need to make a quick escape, you know where to find your trusty horse," he teased, a playful glimmer dancing in his eyes.

As Akane's frown deepened, Kenta observed her with patience, allowing her the space to gather her thoughts. When she broached the delicate topic of their God, a fleeting expression of surprise flitted across Kenta's features. Being asked about Arashi by anyone, let alone Akane, was not something he expected. His history with their God was complicated, to say the least. Kenta wondered if the knots in his stomach would ever fully untangle. Even after all this time, just the mention of Arashi's name was enough to stir unrest. He shifted uneasily, his hand instinctively rising to massage the back of his neck.

"You're right," Kenta admitted with a rueful smile, "letting go of him isn't exactly... easy." Too often, he wondered if staying had been wiser than fleeing - if coming to understand, rather than condemn, might have mended what broke between them. But what's done was done. It hadn't been easy to lose God's favor, no matter how hard he tried to hide behind bitter words and angry defiance.

Akane's words hinted at a struggle that extended beyond the surface, a conflict of emotions that weighed heavily on her heart. Kenta could see that it bothered her, this power that the God had on her that she couldn't break away from. It felt ironic that she was coming to him for advice on it, when even he hadn't truly broken away from Arashi. Could any of them really? The curse's power over them all was absolute, with no signs or hope of breaking.

"They're not the same person that I knew all those years ago. But it sounds like you've found comfort in their presence," he remarked, almost nostalgically. "That can be hard to let go of once you've had a taste of it."

His hands twitched in his pockets, and he dug his nails into his palms. Instinctively, he wanted to urge Akane to run before it was too late for her. _Don't suffer like I did,_ he wanted to say. But he restrained himself as old scars throbbed beneath the surface. Was it jealousy he felt, to know that Akane still had a choice in the matter? He had not been so fortunate.

Kenta wanted nothing more than to shield Akane from the same pain he endured. But he held his tongue, knowing she had to walk her own path, however stormy it may be. "If you're not happy playing by his rules, then maybe it's time to change the game. Easier said than done, I know..." he continued, his voice firm. He offered her an encouraging smile, his gaze unwavering. "But I believe in you. You're stronger than you realize. Just the fact that you're here questioning it, is proof enough."

He meant his words of encouragement sincerely. Akane did not deserve to feel trapped. If only helping her was as simple as willing the knots in his heart to untie. For now, all he could offer was a listening ear and his unwavering support. The rest was up to Akane—and whether she could withstand the raging tempest ahead.

He shook his head dismissively when she apologized. "You're not alone in this, Akane," Kenta affirmed, his voice soft but firm. "And if you ever need someone to talk to or a shoulder to lean on, I'm around." Not like he was going anywhere else for the next 80 days.

takumi

scroll

mood
Finally a moment of peace

outfit
no thank u ✻✻✻[/url]

tag
nyxievous nyxievous

Swirling his coffee in his hand by the lid carelessly, Takumi settled into a chair comfortably by his mutuals – friends, he could even call them – and for that he was entirely grateful.

It was clear that the tour was taking a toll on everyone involved, putting most of them on edge and wearing them down at the seams. Even as Kaede reached for her drink, his eyes took a quick glance downwards to notice the slight tremble of her fingers before he flicked his gaze upwards as the corner of his mouth tugged slightly in a hard to reach expression. Even she was falling apart behind her easy puppy grin. And Saki, level-headed and comforting as ever, her words proved weathered. There was a tear forming in his heart as one of his oldest friends growing up and the only adult who was truly there for him when he was at his worst were sitting in front of him, slowly breaking down.

Luckily, that tear was stunted for a moment when his brain took over for his heart. In his head, Takumi took a bit longer to calculate than the average individual might have, his eyes narrowing to crescents as he considered the numbers. 30+30=60 and 60+5=65… Man, that was old. And in the time that it took Takumi to add all the numbers up and respond, he realized there might have been an awkward sort of silence, to which he gave a slight grin as he quipped, “At least you don’t look that old?”

"What about you?"

”Ah–” Takumi started, stopping short of any answer. Did they know already of the happening with Kenta, had anyone else noticed their dramatic scene in front of the cameras? It was wearing on him even more than the weight of the curse somehow, and he felt his shoulders sink just the slightest as he thought of a way to answer.

Finally, he gave an answer, steering away from the topic on the tip of his tongue in case the pair had gotten away unseen. ”Well, there’s not much we can do about the whole thing, right?” Right? Now that it was hanging heavy in the air, he almost regretted asking. Surely it was all any of the Zodiacs had been talking about, perhaps they were tired of the subject alone. And as someone who was not so sure they would ever find a way to escape their fate, he felt himself wanting some comfort. Some way out, maybe, because there were people that he would turn the world upside for, just to break the curse for them.

But there wasn’t anything to be done about it. So he plastered on another smile after taking a sip of his drink to clear his own mind.

”But we have each other, and that’s a pretty great thing.”

Confusion grew over Konishi’s face at Ai’s chastisement. Did she really not want to use Nova’s first name? The sheep would have labeled her red face as embarrassed, not angry, but her tone seemed to speak differently. She knew she should speak up. Ease this strange tension the rooster had, but words seemed so distant. Even if she’d managed just minutes before.

But of course, Nova didn’t need her words, managing to tease Ai. It brought a smile to her face, as she let go of their hands to bow then enter the pagoda on the side, keeping the God’s path clear. They each purified themselves. The water felt freezing as Konishi took off her gloves, stuffing them in a pocket. Still, she followed the steps, showing more faith than she’d ever willingly show him.

She placed her incense with the others, bowing slightly before tossing a coin into the box in the front. She rang the bell twice, then stood with the others before Kannon, her hands together. She did not exactly pray, more than the constant wish for safety that had echoed through her. She bowed once more as Ai spoke, daring to think of the future.

Nova had an answer. Konishi smiled at the thought of her bear hug, wrapping her arms around herself in a poor imitation of it. There was such promise in her plans. Such surety. A laugh broke free from the sheep without her intention, drawing the attention of other onlookers. She hid her face in her scarf, but couldn’t stop the chuckles of Nova’s desire to tell Arashi no. It was hard to imagine not having this fear to hold her back.

Not wanting to disturb the other tourists, Konishi dared to take both of the Zodiac’s hands, guiding them to a trail. The stone and moss gave her a safe, hidden feeling, letting try to answer. She hadn’t thought about it, not wanting to build the dream only to lose it. But for Ai, who was so sweet, so sensitive, she would try. “I guess, I’d see about my family.” See if they’d want her back, even if they remembered. Would U-jin still work for the servants if the curse was broken? Would he be free too? “But I really do want to teach. Younger kids. Ones that haven’t learned fear to control themselves. Ones who are still free.” Maybe she could learn from them. How to be without the curse.
e v i e v i Shadow Alpha Shadow Alpha

Ai Koba

The Rooster

Mood:

concerned, nervous

Mitaki-dera

Outfit:

Ai stared indifferently at Nova's childish display. The Tiger stuck her tongue out at Ai. She made quiet yet audible comments to Konishi. This had to have been the first conversation they engaged in for years now. One could argue the deep redness in her face was a result of the nipping cold, but it.... wasn't. She almost went into a trance. That was so cute. She thought, disassociating as her eyes looked beyond Kannon. As she listened to Nova's answer. It was so simple, so sweet. Hugs. Cooking. Saying no to Arashi. She wanted a hug from Nova too, one that would crush her. Tears started to sting her emerald eyes, but she blinked them away. She tried to cheer up, tried to imagine Nova tackling Arashi as she so poetically described -- but that again did not bring her much joy. Most Zodiacs' treated Arashi with derision, but she simply pitied him. It was not his choice to be God, as it was not their choice to be animals. She wondered what the role must have done to the psyche.

Ai watched Konishi give her silent thanks to Kannon. It was oddly comforting. Ai never dared regard any other God but Arashi -- but Konishi looking on to others for help, was a quiet, worthy rebellion. Her eyes briefly trailed to her shoes. I wonder if one God is sinning, are the other Gods compelled to stop them? Konishi led them to a mossy trail, more secluded to the gathering tourists. Had they been recognized? Well, even if they had, Nova would scare them away. She smiled softly, giving the Sheep's hand a squeeze.

"Those are both admirable dreams," she said, and she began to wonder about the other Zodiacs. She knew what Kenta would do. But what about Akane and Kaede? Would they still pursue idol-hood? Would U-Jin still... do whatever he did? Crime? She thought about what she would do. She looked up at Nova and then back down at her shoes. She squeezed Konishi's hand tighter. Normally, Ai was not much of an optimist, but the Rooster was well aware some Zodiacs would not go down without a fight. That rekindled some hope in her at least.

"I would still... hope the Zodiac all kept in touch. Maybe some would not like to remember their roles, but I think it would be nice if we all got together once a year. Only this time, it would be our choice," she said, imagining them all growing older. It was sweet. Maybe they could bring their families, their children. It was wishful thinking, but she savored her imagination as a human. Surely she would lose it once she was a bird.

♡design by stardust galaxy, coded by uxie♡

u-jin

the snake

His expression softens at Arashi’s almost childish insistence that he not die. It was hard not to reach out and comfort him, to the point that U-Jin found himself firmly keeping his hands in his pockets instead.
“It is just an option, the rest would survive longer if just one of us dies and then you’d have more time to figure out how to save everyone else.”
Yet he didn’t push it beyond that, not when Arashi turned away from him, shoulders tense and lips downturned. U-Jin had enough sense to know when enough was enough.

“You want me to go through the Attendant’s and their history?”
U-Jin confirmed, eyebrows raising in surprise. He’d never been asked to do that before. To vet some of them, after odd interactions with the Zodiac certainly, but never to dig up dirt on them.
“I’ll send word out when we return, have the search started. Nothing can ever be completely hidden.”
U-Jin had no doubt the attendants, so blind with power would have left clues. None of them had known what was awaiting them to have looked before. But now, with their very lives on the line, U-Jin had ever incentive he needed.

“If any of them get in my way…can I take care of them?”
U-Jin questioned, voice dropped low so that only Arashi and Kazue could hear as they meandered from one exhibit to the next. He lagged a few steps behind the pair, admiring the jellyfish as Arashi coaxed Kazue to help him as well.

Kazue’s agreement was of no surprise. His fervent adoration of Arashi rose above practically everyone else’s. Yet his youth showed when he asked where to start. U-Jin let out a snort of laughter, eyes trailing after a jellyfish that had broken away from the pack.
“Find the weak link, the ones who have the least support and connections and who will be the most eager for the affection and assurances of a group.”
U-Jin pointed out, wishing desperately for a smoke right now, as they discussed these more heavy topics. Yet he couldn’t see anyone in here allowing him to sneak such a thing.

“The younger zodiac first,”
U-Jin suggested.
“The older ones won’t give in easily, you’ll be beating up against a wall unless there’s others you are particularly close to Kazue-kun.”

♡coded by uxie♡

/* ------ left side ------ */

/* ------ left side info ------ */
mood fatigued

location cafe in hiroshima

outfit here

tag ven ven & peachiepalette peachiepalette

Nakano Murasaki

/* ------ right side ------ */
”But we have each other, and that’s a pretty great thing.”

Takumi's reassurance made Saki smile after drinking some more of her coffee. "Well, you're damn right about that. I'm not sure I could survive any of this on my own." It was the truth. She may not be open about her own issues with any of the Zodiac, but she certainly enjoys their companionship. Not to mention the selfish instinct to be a listening ear has been the perfect distraction.

She ended up chuckling at her own thoughts, before speaking up, "It's funny, I say that, and I'm not even one of the famous ones." Saki glanced over to the idol sitting beside her before continuing, "You and Akane really impress me. Always have, honestly." She could explain why. Drone on about how she could never be in the limelight, with paparazzi watching her every move... But the girls have heard that nonsense so many times already. Would it even help anything at this point?

The answer was obvious, and that's why she kept her mouth shut, placing her attentions onto the cup of coffee in her gloved hands. Well, calling them hands was a bit of a stretch, at this point. Two digits and a thumb hidden underneath specially made gloves could hardly be considered hands.

Brown eyes tried their hardest not to stare down at her hands. She hasn't told anyone but Rui Xi about her physical transformation, and it makes her wonder if the others are hiding some too. To distract herself, she decided to continue speaking, letting a mischievous grin lift her features. "Speaking of that wonderful singing voice of yours... Do you know of any karaoke lounges around here? I'm dying to do something fun for once." As she spoke, she wrapped an arm around Kaede's shoulders, taking full advantage of the fact that they could actually hug.

© weldherwings.

scroll
THE CAT

mood:
wants to go home.

interactions:
Steve Jobs Steve Jobs Skryeb Skryeb

Reiji bit back a groan when a grating hiii~ reached his ears. He didn’t need to turn around to know who that voice belonged to.

There was only one person who could sound so stupidly carefree and the fact was both as annoying as it was relieving. In lieu of making a smart remark, he merely tsked at the other’s arrival. As much as Reiji disliked the Monkey host’s antics, it was a relief to know that he wouldn’t have to deal with Rui Xi alone. After all, said woman was one of the reasons the hosts no longer existed to their parents, coerced or not. He briefly wondered if the others hated her for it—feeling the loving touch of a guardian only for it to be cruelly snatched away— but it was a thought he had no time to humour at present.

His sharp gaze redirected back to Rui Xi as she explained her reasoning behind their rendezvous. With her experience, Reiji was unsurprised she had already thought of where to find leads, but he was peeved the idea hadn’t occurred to him before. Of course, investigating the past at a museum was a surefire way to start. Had he been a more amiable man, he might have even complimented her wit. Instead, he pointedly looked down at his nails, unimpressed.

❝ Don’t get your hopes up. I’m sure the servants are involved in the screening process for any zodiac artifacts, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they already snatched anything worth looking for. ❞ He scoffed. To him, it made no sense how several generations had passed and not a single one had found an inkling of how to break the curse. Clearly the servants had stamped down any chance of new discovery.

❝ …But I suppose this opportunity won’t be entirely devoid of amusement. I’m sure it will be a fun experience to be reminded of the first Cat’s sins and the reason why I’m despised by the whole country for something I’ve never even done. ❞ He added with a sneer, the mark of a man incapable of keeping negativity to himself.

After a beat, he turned on his heel and towards the North wing, uninterested—certainly not afraid— in facing Rui Xi’s retaliation. ❝ Here’s to finding a needle in a haystack. ❞ He called over his shoulder, dark hair blending into the shadows of the corridor as he made his way towards the first exhibit.

♡coded by uxie♡

Akane

mood.

anxious, unsure

location.

Hiroshima Castle

tags.

The sincerity in Kenta's voice left Akane in a temporary state of shock. He believed in her? She supposed it was easy to have faith in someone you perceive as having everything together, but still... She couldn't help the smile that lifted her pale features,

"I guess you have a point." He did, right? She was more than a Rabbit, and he more than a Horse. How could she possibly change the game? "You can um." She paused, suddenly feeling awkward, "Talk to me, too. If you want." Red eyes refused contact with Kenta's gaze, and instead focused on the water ahead of them.

Akane always felt... weird, when trying to befriend most of the Zodiac. She knew how she behaved as a child-star. How little she cared to know the others her age. She is not an easy person to be around at times, even now that she's grown. It was easier to be alone, writing in her room or focusing on her tours, than to try and get along with everyone. But, when faced with death, all she wanted to do was be close with them all. It feels wrong, selfish even. But, what did she have to lose? Everything her parents worked so hard for would be for nothing, all within 80 days.

It was sick, but the thought made her smile again, "Or not. I may not be as knowledgeable as you, oh wise one." Her voice held a sarcastic tone, but she truly saw him as someone she admired. If anyone could help her find her true hobbies and goals, it was him. "C'mon, we should probably get back before dark."

Before he could respond, she began walking upon the hiking path again. "By the way, please don't... tell anyone. If word gets out, I..." The others would likely avoid her, and Arashi would only feel betrayed and frustrated that she ran to someone else instead of him. Isn't he all she needs?

"It wouldn't be good. I'm sure you understand."

Truthfully, he probably did. Kenta likely has seen Arashi's possessiveness. Especially with their secrets, and even more so with their Zodiac. Wide eyes looked up to the brunette who now stood beside her, nimble fingers anxiously fidgeting with the water bottle she brought with her as she awaited his response.

♡coded by uxie♡

arashi.

“U-Jin is right. Don't bother with Rui Xi, or Saki. Neither of them can be trusted not to leave,”
he hisses, waving his hand dismissively.
“Nova and Konishi will not be swayed right now, either.”
Did they even need to mention Rei? The God and Cat have not seen eye to eye in years.
“Kaede, Yori, Ai, and Takumi, speak with them. Solidify their faith.”

Arashi hesitates, eyes wandering away. He stares at the lone jellyfish floating away from its pack.
“Kenta... I-”
Arashi clenches their jaw and scowls. They still harbor anger over the Horse's abandonment, and their subsequent coldness and hostility. Speaking with Kenta would only make matters worse.
“Talk to him, too.”

With a sigh, he turns away from the glass.
“I don't want to discuss it further. Let's find a show.”

Arashi continues walking, eyes searching for something to occupy their time and distract them from the exhaustion that hangs over them. He spots a sign that points to a small viewing room. Investigating further, it seems the aquarium is showing clips of a deep sea documentary. Arashi ushers them inside and sits in the back row. They slump into their seat, and suppress the urge to cough. The lights around them begin to dim shortly after their arrival. He breathes a sigh of relief and lets the mask slip from his face. Under the protection of darkness, Arashi looks tired and detached.

He laces his fingers with Kazue's and rests his head on U-Jin's shoulder. A woman speaks softly through the speakers, sharing facts and commentary on the deep sea. Arashi's closes his eyes and lets himself drift away.

slow dancing in the dark

joji

♡coded by uxie♡

scroll

The Dog

Kaede.

mood

over-emotional

cafe in hiroshima

interactions

saki, takumi

"Well, you're damn right about that. I'm not sure I could survive any of this on my own."

Kaede felt herself smile—a genuine smile, not one formed from overreactive emotions or forced for the cameras. She missed her mother, even if the image of the woman who raised her began to blur with time, but she couldn't deny that her fellow Zodiacs had become a support for her, a family in its own right.

"It's funny, I say that, and I'm not even one of the famous ones." Saki said, "You and Akane really impress me. Always have, honestly."

Kaede waved her hands in front of her as if to dispel the notion. Soft carnation eyes glanced between her companions, and Kaede felt herself deflate. Everyone felt so mature as they navigated this difficult time. She hardly felt she deserved any recognition. An idol is no more than a puppet for their agent. Just as the Zodiacs are puppets fated to live out their days by their god's side.

She felt guilty, even though she did nothing wrong. While upset about the circumstance, seeing her friend's reactions made her feel she was not upset enough. How could she tell them that she didn't do anything special? That she simply allowed an outside party to control her strings, relinquishing a burden of choice—or lack thereof. You can't miss something you never had to begin with.

"Speaking of that wonderful singing voice of yours... Do you know of any karaoke lounges around here? I'm dying to do something fun for once."

Kaede leaned into Saki's hug. While she had been an only child, she imagined this to be the same comfort as hugging an older sibling. She'd have to do something nice for Saki maybe she'd special order one of those fancy fruit baskets, a small gift for the years of comfort and advice.

"You know I could never pass up an opportunity to hear Takumi sing,"
she said, sending a teasing smirk towards the ox.

Pulling out her phone—Kaede searched to see if there were any close to them. She swiped through a couple of options before flipping her phone to her friends,
"How about this one? It's next to a claw machine arcade, so we could always do that afterward. I could use a few new plushies..."

Kaede's eyes light up at the idea, suddenly filled with excitement once again, her mood flipping just as suddenly as it started to crash.
"Oh!"
She exclaimed loudly,
"could we all take a picture together before we go?"

♡coded by uxie♡

Yori

scroll

Looking for a needle in a haystack indeed. Yori watched Reiji walk in the direction of the North wing of the museum before looking back at the map in front of him, just taking in the guide as if it held the answers on how to regain the feeling of the fun he’d been foolishly hoping to have. The entire premise of leaving his hotel room to join them went out the window as the invisible calendar hung over his head again, but he knew deep down he couldn’t be upset. What else could Rui Xi have asked him to come for if not to assist her with the foolish game she was playing, trying to put a stop to a wheel that had been spinning for far longer than any of them had been alive.

His direction essentially picked for him with Reiji’s departure, he spent another moment memorizing the path he would be following from the west wing to their meetup point on the second floor before looking over at Rui Xi with a lazy grin. “See ya at the cultural exhibit then,” he said with a small salute before stepping away, shoving his hands in his pockets as he walked the path into the exhibit proper.

A quick glance around showed that the exhibits were of more recent history, starting with the shift of power to Emperor Taisho with the first section and moving forward in time. Interestingly enough, he could see small blurbs about the previous zodiac spread within the history of their country, dedicated plaques with facts about their ancestors that had participated in small or big ways of influence during those times attached to images and displays. Each little zodiac plaque was decorated with a symbol of what zodiacs had participated, cute little animals either posed alone or together smiling up at each guest that looked at them. It made more sense now why Rui Xi had picked this museum to look for answers in, seeing how the zodiac practically intertwined with major historical events.

One plaque in particular caught his eye and he found himself drifting over towards an exhibit on Japan’s early involvement in The First World War. The little figure they had added to the plaque was a faceless human dressed in a hooded robe, its hand raised in a waving gesture. Confused, Yori read through the contents of the paragraph written next to the faceless picture, skimming through it until he found what he was looking for, a description of one of the previous interactions of a former God’s involvement in the beginning influences of Japan’s relationship with the Allied Powers. Eyes drifting back to the faceless figure, he felt something odd settle into his chest as he realized now that none of the people looking at these plaques probably even remembered what these people looked like, let alone what they had done. What they had been forced to participate in.

The rest of the exhibit went about the same. He paused at each zodiac plaque, the realization that each of them were only depicted by their animal counterparts or a faceless person souring each block of text, but also opening his eyes to the actions of each previous zodiac. He spent a particularly long time at each plaque that involved a previous Monkey, trying and failing to imagine himself in their positions. Towards the end of the exhibit, as the stairs leading to the second level came into sight, he’d gained far more knowledge than he had previously anticipated, though none of it seemed to slot in with anything Rui Xi had been looking for. If anything, as he glanced back at the plaques scattered throughout, he wondered if all of the current zodiac would just be remembered as faceless animals once their deadline was met.

Gripping the railing to the stairs, he used it to help him walk to the top, cursing himself for not bringing his cane as he felt his leg twinge in protest. Once the climb was done he found a bench to sit at that gave him a view of the area, waiting for the other two while he absently rubbed at his leg, thinking over all of the information he had just gained.

click for more

♡design by minajesty, coded by uxie♡

scroll me!

Interactions
e v i e v i Lost Echo Lost Echo

Nova Torazawa

The Tiger

Hearing what Konishi desired if their curse were to be broken was heartwarming, such a simple wish to be with her family and freely teach the younger generation. Something so easy was also so unattainable for them at this point. Nova would've spent whatever was necessary to watch the reactions of the general public if they knew how many of the zodiacs craved a sense of normalcy. How many of them would gladly offer any sacrifice necessary to have avoided such a distasteful fate that others idolized and craved. Nova ruffled Konishi soft hair in a playful manner, "Those kids wouldn't know how lucky they were to have such a kind and understanding teacher. Hell, you're the teacher we needed in the compound. Maybe we wouldn't be the deviants we are today if we did."

Nova's eyes drifted to the path as she tried to absorb as much peace as she could from the environment around them. She hated to dwell on thoughts surrounding herself, but she'd be lying if she didn't admit that she had begun to feel some of the more unstable effects of their upcoming forced transformation. The feeling of her skin fitting like an extra small suit and hunger that was never truly sated unless it was a large amount that consisted of mainly meat. Even know, it was getting harder for her to go about their daily excursions as a portion of her brain had begun to tell her that daytime was for preserving energy. A rather obvious yawn managed to escape, any onlooker would have easily seen the lengthened canines that somehow managed to sheathed themselves in her gums without any awkward settling.

Having never been one to be the religious type, the comfort gained from the environment was purely from a sense of freedom and peace. Coming to the conclusion that her fate was sealed when she was brought to the compound, any religious belief system seemed like a false support system in her eyes. How could she go about her life believing when the person recognized as their own God was such a hellion in her eyes? No truly loving God would ever place those he cares about in unfavorable situations and a curse that builds onto their personal suffering.

Her right hand absentmindedly scratched at her chin as she listened to Ai go on about a desire for all of them to remain in contact. Before answering, she allowed herself to imagine a Zodiac gathering where there were no separations between those of prey, predator, and God. It would be interesting to see what sort of behavioral traits would remain if they were fully human.
"I feel as if any meeting with all of us would be a disaster on some levels. Can you imagine how many people have probably crushed on or been intimate with each other within our circle? Without the curse affecting who is available for deeper levels of skin ship, it could get quite dramatic with in-fighting, jealousy, or any repressed sexual feelings. I'd like to start taking bets on whether or not the presence of the curse changes the way his loyal pets are drawn to him. Seeing as how Kazu would trust anything Arashi spouted, he'd definitely be a ride-or-die. Guess we can say the same for Akane too." Nova's voice seemed to strain slightly at the end of her response.

♡design by neon reverie, coded by uxie♡

Konishi glanced up at Ai’s face by chance really. Her heart fell into her stomach. Were those tears she saw? She’d been balancing against crying since the announcement, having fallen off dozen of times. She recognized the familiar burning. Squeezing her eyes shut, she trusted the two to guide her as she swallowed down the urge. Rationally. She had to think rationally. While she still could. It was just as likely Ai was thinking of the hopelessness of their future. Of how unlikely their dreams were. It didn’t have to be something Konishi did. She shouldn’t have missed anything, even for how focused she was on the ritual of prayer.

Konishi liked rituals. Normally, well before she split everything up into its time slot. From the moment she woke, she kept herself together by following a pattern. Here, nothing was the same. She brought her favorite nightgown, the one that made her feel pretty, but didn’t have time to wear it before she’d shift, curling tight under the duvet or the bed if she was able. She’d sleep so badly she wouldn’t wake on her own, but by the servants’ alarm, not giving her time to brush her hair out. It was so tangled.

She jumped a little at Nova’s voice, but leaned into her touch. It felt even better than holding their hands. She wanted that feeling forever. She raised her free fist to wipe at her eyes, laughing a little. “The other teachers say I’m too much of a softie. The kids would run all over me if they weren’t there.” She shook her head, and almost said the servants would have never let me, but stopped herself. It was peaceful here. She wouldn’t mention them. They were worse than Him. “I don’t know, would you have listened to me?” She turned to face the tiger, her hand tightening on Ai’s as her instinctal fear flared. She pushed past it, and brushed the younger girl’s shoulder with her own, a feeble attempt to push her.

Then Ai spoke. She didn’t seem upset…Konishi was just being sensitive. She wished she’d just stop. That’s what people kept telling her. Just stop being sensitive. She wanted to, but she couldn’t figure out how. She tightened her hand in return, though she didn’t look at her. No need to make her worry with her tears. Instead she took the tiger’s hand once more.

Konishi thought about getting together after. For all that she hated or feared some of them, the Zodiac was all she had. If Rui Xi couldn’t reverse the memory charm, that could stay that way. But did she want that to be true? She always imagined she’d be a stronger person if she was free of this curse. Would she want to go back to the chains that held her down now? And what if she wasn’t? Could she show her failure?

Of course, there was a totally different way to think of it. Scandalously. And of course, that was the route Nova took. Not that Konishi disagreed, “And Ke--” Cutting herself off, the sheep hid her face in her scarf. Secret. She was definitely too unbalanced if that was going to come out. To distract from it, she shoved Nova a little again, “You can’t just say that! I don’t want to think about who he’s having sex with!” She whined. It was gross. Like they were some virgin sacrifice to him. As if he could really care about them.

scroll

The Rat

Kazue Himitsu

aquarium

outfit

location here

interactions

interactions here

tags

tags here

If any of them get in my way.... can I take care of them?

Kazue perked up at that. He thought of Konishi again. Maybe U-Jin would appreciate his plan after all. Arashi did not dignify him with a response. It was only in his power to harm the Zodiacs, the servants. And even then, he did not physically exercise that power. Words and silence cut deeper. U-Jin chided to the Rat that he must begin with the younger Zodiacs, the lost Zodiacs. Oh, yes. Kazue was always receptive of U-Jin's advice. Second to Arashi, he hung on every word as always. The God gave more detail to Kazue, and with such weak-willed options, he initially thought it to be easy. Pleased that Arashi weaved his hand into Kazue's, he followed him like a lovesick puppy, and he settled beside him in the darkness of the theater. He remained still. A pang of envy twisted in his chest when Arashi rested his head on U-Jin and not Kazue, but he was grateful nevertheless for the God's touch.

He wondered who to begin with. Everyone had their own tailored relationship to Arashi. He observed them at banquets for enough years to notice Ai and Yori approached God with some level of empathy. Nova and Reiji (what he'd heard of him)... resentment. Kaede seemed to be the people-pleasing type, and Takumi never expressed any issues with Arashi to Kazue. Nor the other way around, Arashi never expressed issue with Takumi. Then, there was Kenta. The God hesitated with him. Kazue found his hand coiled tightly around the arm chair, staring beyond the film before them.

He worried about Arashi, who slept soundly on U-Jin. The coughing, the agitation, the tiredness... Anxiety crept inside him. He swallowed a thickness in his throat. Removed his mask and set it aside. He needed to breathe.

"I'm happy you're back, U-Jin," he said quietly, as to not disturb their God.
"You won't go away again, will you?" Kazue asked lowly, softly. Around the two older figures in his life, he played the younger, naive role. He played it well.

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

Ai Koba

The Rooster

Mood:

concerned, nervous

Mitaki-dera

Outfit:

Ai adored Nova for her honesty. In every situation. The Tiger roared what everyone was thinking or said... what everyone wouldn't even dare think. Her face deadpanned at Nova's imaginings of their human reunion. She stared ahead, pale. And she hadn't a hateful bone in her body, but she absolutely despised The Rabbit's name on The Tiger's tongue. She noticed at their yearly banquet how Akane followed Arashi after the festivities. That longing yet reserved look in her rosy eyes. Ai gulped away her more pessimistic thoughts. My love will die with me, repeated over and over again in her head. She was guilty for being happy that Arashi had some claim to Akane that Nova did not. Coldness seeped slowly into her expression, freezing all warmth she previously held. She looked at Konishi, who spoke as well and chastised Nova for her explicit assumptions.

The Rooster turned her nose up at the shivering trees. Konishi was so sweet, so pure. Ai tried to remain the same, though their anxieties manifested quite differently. People felt calm around Konishi, who made herself smaller and kinder. Ai was colder in her way of coping with her nerves. The only one who probably understood that intimately was Takumi and Kaede. And Arashi. A cold wind brushed past her neck. As God, did he understand the complexities of his animals inside out? She used to fear he heard every thought, every conversation. There was that sickening need for approval deep within her. It was why she never defied him, except making the ultimate sin of leaving the Compound. It was Kenta that encouraged her to.

"Well... stripped of their Godhood, he is only a person," she said monotonously, and she thought of Arashi coughing earlier that day. She furrowed her brows.
"Let them have each other... Nova-kun," she said quietly, forcing a nickname out for the Tiger's sake. It was funny, seemed fitting. She wondered if it would amuse the girl, and she hoped it would. Even if the name came out rather stiff. She was trying.
"There are so many people in the world. If we were all unbound by the Compound's city, who knows?" she shrugged her shoulders weakly. She was too cowardly to imply it was her Nova should only have eyes for, so she said it in a general sense. Her hand tightened around Konishi, who knew and treasured her secret.

♡design by stardust galaxy, coded by uxie♡

the horse

kenta
wata-
nabe

[tab=Tab]

outift: here
interactions: leviohsa leviohsa
[/tab][/tab][/tabs]

Kenta's expression softened, his eyes meeting Akane's with genuine warmth. "Thanks," he said. "I'll keep that in mind." Her offer was kind, but he couldn't help feeling a pang of guilt knowing he wouldn't likely take her up on it anytime soon. The weight of his burdens seemed too heavy to unload during a simple hike, and he imagined Akane had her own share of struggles to contend with. Still, he made a silent vow to himself to remember her gesture. Perhaps in the midst of whatever lay ahead for them, he wouldn't have to shoulder his troubles alone.

But while they had no time to sit about and talk for hours, there was still a simple question that had been weighing on Kenta's mind, and now seemed like the opportune moment to ask. "I did want to ask you something though," he began, his voice gentle. "How is... Takumi doing?" The name lingered on his tongue, a mixture of concern and longing evident in his tone as he glanced away, his gaze tracing the path ahead. "I didn't get the chance to catch up with him," he added hastily as a flimsy explanation.

As Akane joked about his wisdom, Kenta chuckled softly. "Oh, you flatter me," he replied with a playful grin, the tension easing between them. With Akane's suggestion to return before dark, he nodded in agreement, falling into step beside her as they resumed their hike. The sun was just kissing the horizon, the sky painted in soft tones of orange and lilac as the day came to a close. Kenta couldn't help but slow down as he admired the view, trying not to let his thoughts darken with how much longer he'd be able to enjoy such sights with his limited time.

Sensing Akane's nervousness, Kenta reached over, covering her hands with his own. "Your secret's safe with me," he promised, giving her fingers a light squeeze. He imagined he was one of the few who really understood the consequences... and he wouldn't wish them on her.

In an attempt to lighten up the mood, he brought out his phone and threw an arm around her shoulders. "Come on, let's take a picture. The sky looks really nice right now," he said, angling the camera so that the backdrop of the sunset was behind them. He snapped a couple of quick photos, and even threw two of his fingers behind her head in one of them to make 'bunny ears' behind her head as he grinned. "I promise not to leak these photos of you either... even though I'd probably make some decent money off of them," he teased.

As they made their way back to the hotel, bidding each other farewell, Kenta couldn't shake the warmth he felt from Akane's offer of support. For the first time since the tour began, he found a sense of peace amidst the uncertainty, grateful for the unexpected connection forged amidst the chaos.

coded by weldherwings.

Kenta's expression softened, his eyes meeting Akane's with genuine warmth. "Thanks," he said. "I'll keep that in mind." Her offer was kind, but he couldn't help feeling a pang of guilt knowing he wouldn't likely take her up on it anytime soon. The weight of his burdens seemed too heavy to unload during a simple hike, and he imagined Akane had her own share of struggles to contend with. Still, he made a silent vow to himself to remember her gesture. Perhaps in the midst of whatever lay ahead for them, he wouldn't have to shoulder his troubles alone.

But while they had no time to sit about and talk for hours, there was still a simple question that had been weighing on Kenta's mind, and now seemed like the opportune moment to ask. "I did want to ask you something though," he began, his voice gentle. "How is... Takumi doing?" The name lingered on his tongue, a mixture of concern and longing evident in his tone as he glanced away, his gaze tracing the path ahead. "I didn't get the chance to catch up with him," he added hastily as a flimsy explanation.

As Akane joked about his wisdom, Kenta chuckled softly. "Oh, you flatter me," he replied with a playful grin, the tension easing between them. With Akane's suggestion to return before dark, he nodded in agreement, falling into step beside her as they resumed their hike. The sun was just kissing the horizon, the sky painted in soft tones of orange and lilac as the day came to a close. Kenta couldn't help but slow down as he admired the view, trying not to let his thoughts darken with how much longer he'd be able to enjoy such sights with his limited time.

Sensing Akane's nervousness, Kenta reached over, covering her hands with his own. "Your secret's safe with me," he promised, giving her fingers a light squeeze. He imagined he was one of the few who really understood the consequences... and he wouldn't wish them on her.

In an attempt to lighten up the mood, he brought out his phone and threw an arm around her shoulders. "Come on, let's take a picture. The sky looks really nice right now," he said, angling the camera so that the backdrop of the sunset was behind them. He took a couple of quick photos, and even threw two of his fingers behind her head in one of them to make 'bunny ears' behind her head as he grinned. "I promise not to leak these photos of you either... even though I'd probably make some decent money off of them," he teased.

As they made their way back to the hotel, bidding each other farewell, Kenta couldn't shake the warmth he felt from Akane's offer of support. For the first time since the tour began, he found a sense of peace amidst the uncertainty, grateful for the unexpected connection forged amidst the chaos.

takumi

scroll

mood
Finally a moment of peace

outfit
no thank u ✻✻✻[/url]

tag
leviohsa leviohsa ven ven

Surviving it on their own… It was a strange phrase when he really put his mind to it. Though Takumi couldn’t speak for the other Zodiacs, he imagined that most of them often felt completely alone, even in the presence of the hosts like them or even Arashi. Now more than ever, they needed each other. If only they could go into this holding hands rather than solitarily stumbling along blindly, they might just make it. But old habits seemed to die hard, and he was sure that some might stay as lonely as ever.

It took the male a moment of staring off into space before his eyes snapped him back to reality, his gaze shifting to the pair in front of him at the mention of karaoke. He supposed that even in times like this, they deserved a bit of fun.

“Oh, but Kaede…” He breathed, his voice almost stern as he raised a hand to his chest. “What if you fall for me? Because of my beautiful voice?”

Yes, it was easy to lose himself to that moment, to pretend that everything was as normal as possible. He could joke around with one of his oldest friends and revel in the comfort of the one who had offered motherly support when he’d once had no one. Maybe, if they just pretended and continued to lean on each other, they could put off the ending of their worlds. It could breeze by when the time came, come and go and they would never feel a disturbance.

“I want a new plushie too– Let’s do it.”

A warm smile was cast in the Dog’s direction, his lids fluttering slightly at the pleased look that was glazing over her features. Reminded that he could tolerate the oncoming end if these were the moments that he received, he collected them like souvenirs in his pockets, cherishing the fond feelings. It seemed that he almost thrived on Kaede’s excitement, and Saki's calm composure lifted weights that he never even knew were sitting on his shoulders.

Takumi didn’t even give Saki a choice, pulling the two women beside him in front of Kaede’s camera. As rare as it was to see the Ox pose, much less smile for a picture, he gave a slight grin to the phone screen. Yes, maybe at least for the day, he could pretend that nothing was wrong if he gathered strength from the people he loved.

scroll me!

Interactions
e v i e v i Lost Echo Lost Echo

Nova Torazawa

The Tiger

Nova could see how much her words seemed to mean to Konishi, hopefully they didn't seem to come off as baseless comments by an observer. When the shorter girl's shoulder made contact after a rather feeble attempt at pushing her. Being the type of person she was, Nova of course decided to fully dive into her full-on acting mode and forced herself to stumble slightly. She used her hand to grip the shoulder that had fallen victim to the attack and put on the most pitiful, puppy dog eyes she could muster.

In her case it was more of a Puss in Boots look as she opened her eyes as wide as she could while batting her eyelashes,
"O-Of course I would follow the teachings of such a strong and aggressive teacher such as yourself. In fact, I'm pretty sure that my shoulder is dislocated but that's my own fault for not being strong enough." Nova continued the physical gag as she allowed her arm to swing around limply, it was hard to keep her face straight throughout it.

Hearing Ai state that Arashi was nothing more than a person at their core was a somewhat annoying reminder that caused her face to scrunch up at the thought. They were all nothing more than people on a basic level, people that were treated as lesser than and holier than thou in the same breath. How much would a person's personality changed without the harrowing fate of being God weighing them down?
"A God nonetheless but one that acts on the most human level when compared with us. Ara isn't constantly being bombarded by some animalistic drives like we are so shouldn't he act in a way most befitting of his title? Or is that something they save for their favorite toys?"

Just the thought alone of a normal-acting Arashi was enough to eyes to harden with an irritated glint. The memory of him coughing earlier did not draw any sort of sympathy from Nova as she figured this was the fairest way for them all to approach their demise without a known cure insight. Arashi would become sicker while their minds and body fell prey to the signs they had the unfortunate luck of being born to represent. Her mood brightened suddenly when Ai finally decided to refer to her by her first name and she offered the Avian Zodiac a lop-sided grin, "The tone was a little awkward in a cute way but I'm glad to see you're trying to address me like the lovely tiger friend I am Ai. With my rugged good-looks and strength, being called Nova-kun seems like a nice title for me."

Seeing Konishi's embarrassed response to the notion of the zodiacs passing each other around as if they were toys meant to be shared drew out a rather loud laugh from her gut. Nova was doubled over and gripping her stomach before managing to take a deep breath to settle down, "Awww don't be like that Koni, we're all adults here and have the unfortunate ability to smell a variety of scents that expose people for a variety of things. Granted it may be a little different for sheep and roosters, but as a Tiger it's pretty interesting to see how some Zodiac scents change at the peak of emotions. It's gotta be pretty rough for Kaede, her being the Dog and all."

Nova took a step back and crossed her arms over her chest and gave Konishi a shocked expression, "Or is your reaction due to you having a secret crush on me? Or worst of all, a secret love that's been brewing for the leader himself? Only one of these would be a respectable crush to have at this point by the way."

♡design by neon reverie, coded by uxie♡

The Dragon continues her search

Zhou Rui Xi

Going to the museum proved to be more of therapeutic, enough so that she was content with just throwing Reiji a dismissive look before venturing forth.

After the Zodiac went public, Japanese historians had a new lens to explore Japanese culture with, including public figures. Though the servants were selective in who they revealed, it didn't stop people from speculating on other, unofficial figures. There were never any unscrupulous reincarnations of course or at least, nobody heinous. By extension, various names were thrown out for different hosts.

In particular, the Edo period brought allowed the arts and education to flourish and thus, gave her plenty of material to pore through. Quite a few portraits were amended to include "Kamiya" as a surname while others had their host status revealed. By the far the most interesting however, was Tokugawa Ieyasu, Kamiya Ieyasu. More than the appearance of the several daimyo by the shogun's side, the appearance of their vassals gave her pause.

They were all so drab compared to the vibrantly painted daimyo, some of which sported animal ears. It made Rui Xi wonder whether the vassals were normal humans or servants. Compared to the present, the Zodiac hosts and god also seemed to exert an even greater influence on the government. Where everyone in her generation had their own ventures, the reputable twelve of the 1600s sat by Ieyasu's side. Positioned next to him, the Dragon was whispering in his ear and the Monkey seated next to him.

Oh to wield your power over Japan. Arashi could never.

No, instead he focused on attaching himself to as many hosts as possible. He didn't understand the concept of freedom or independence from the servants.

As she continued through the Meiji Restoration, she found more artwork, poems, and a few photos of confirmed Gods and Zodiac hosts (including a few with the hosts in their animal form).

Unfortunately, each piece of art only served to unsettle her. When they weren't displaying pictures of the hosts in animal form, they depicted the manicured friendships with the God. The notion that one of her past lives (or anyone else's) might have fallen in love with one Arashi's past selves made her bristle. Given the events of Rakusuien, there was no telling how much resentment the hosts had once the cameras (and paintbrushes) were gone.

It became increasingly clear that even a place meant for historical preservation was not immune to the servants' disgusting tendrils so she left for the exhibition hall.

To her surprise, Yori had already been seated and Reiji followed soon after. She took a glance at Yori, the slightest hint of concern in her eyes once she saw the cane. "Good to see none of you have run off," Rui Xi said, pulling up an electronic version of the pamphlet on her phone.

"HISTORCIAL TRAGEDIES: THE GOD AND THE CAT THROUGH THE AGES" read both the banner and the title page. Though the odds were high that the event would be heavily skewed in the God's favor, there could be no other reason that so many of the Cat's artifacts were absent from her area.

Upon entering, the three were greeted with a small collection of artifacts, portraits, and scrolls arranged in a U-shape around the room. In the middle there was a statue of the original Cat in the God's arms.

"Death is a cruel fate
Not for us, but for the God
Who is immortal

The Cat spurned the God
The Zodiac spurned them,
Yet the God still chose love"

Read the placard placed in front of the statue. Though not particularly new information, the verbiage made her roll her eyes. How could it have chosen "love" with the curse bestowed upon them? For that matter, why did the poet act as though they were the the bastion of mercy.

"Did either of you find anything this dramatic in your search?" Rui Xi asked wryly.

mood | Determined
scroll

location | Izumi Museum of Art, Hiroshima

tag | Reiji kunikuzushi kunikuzushi Yori Skryeb Skryeb

© weldherwings.

u-jin

the snake

Being reminded of all of the negative relationships that Arashi had with the other Zodiac did make his heart pang with sympathy. He knew that their God’s position was not enviable in most ways. This was certainly one of them. Even U-Jin with his own odd position in their group was able to maintain at least luke-warm relationships with practically everyone in comparison.

He hoped that if they could solve this, Arashi might be able to repair their relationships. But, it all depended on if they could stop this before it became too late.

The darkness of the documentary room is dark and relaxing. So it comes as little surprise when Arashi slumps against him and seems to fall asleep almost instantly. U-Jin shifts and wraps an arm around him, tucking the other man to his side as he half-heartedly pays attention to the screen in front of them. He doesn’t expect much conversation, so when Kazue initiates he nearly doesn’t react to it.

Turning to look at the younger man, he raised his eyebrows. Reaching out with the hand that was resting on Arashi’s arm he ran his knuckles against Kazue’s instead.
“No. There’s too much for me to do here to go again,”
he assured, only feeling a small twinge of guilt. If Kazue was actually upset, he’d expect the rat to react with anger. The docile act, well, it wasn’t what he came to expect from Kazue when he was actually upset.

“You’ll have to share Arashi with me again,”
he teased, the corners of his mouth quirking upwards faintly in a soft smile.
“I don’t plan on letting him out of my sight unless I have to.
” The desire was out of both caution and affection, Arashi had been on his own for only this long and it seemed that he had suffered for it not only mentally but physically as well, if the rumors of his cough were anything to go off of.

“I’m sorry for being gone so long,”
U-Jin apologized after a few beats of silence, leaving the back of his hand pressed to Kazue’s arm.
“Have you been okay? I know we both worry about Arashi but, you can’t have had it easier either.”
This entire situation was fucked. More than U-Jin could properly put into words.
“I’m here for you too, whatever you need.”

Kazue didn’t give much of his true self away. A product of his upbringing or just his nature, it was difficult for U-Jin to tell, and he’d been around him for years at this point.
“We need to do our best for Arashi. No fucking around, okay? This is not the time to let your impulses get the better of you - you hear me?”
He questioned sternly.

♡coded by uxie♡

scroll

The Rat

Kazue Himitsu

aquarium

outfit

location here

interactions

interactions here

tags

tags here

"You'll have to share Arashi with me again."

Kazue's other hand tightened considerably on the arm rests of his theater chair. He knew The Snake liked to tease him. U-Jin was well aware the seedy depths of Kazue's loyalty to The God. But he was only joking. Half-joking. And if Kazue were to share Arashi with anyone, it would be U-Jin, who he believed also had Arashi's best interest at heart. The precious, sleeping form between them.... he could feel his heartbeat in his ears. Their first meeting twisted and turned within his stomach. He was so much smaller than. Nose to the floor, tears falling at Arashi's feet. His hand uncoiled around the arm rest as U-Jin tried to catch up with the youngest of the Zodiac. Before the announcement, it was believed, after all, that Kazue's young life was only beginning. Not bound to end.

There was a taut silence after U-Jin warned him. And Kazue could not blame him. Maybe once or twice, he did stir up trouble in his earlier adolescence when U-Jin was not giving him enough attention. He craved to learn from him, to unmask himself of all diplomacy, to be as monstrous as he wished... only The Snake and The God understood him.

Kazue stared ahead at the documentary, relaxing at the long awaited touch of The Snake. He tilted his head.

“Ulrich is in Japan,” he said as if he dismissed U-Jin’s warning.
“Walking around here with the same face as mine, showing up to events... That is an unsightly smudge needing to be erased, no?” he asked, and a wry smile could be heard in his tone.

U-Jin closed his eyes, the desire to a cigarette increasing ten-fold at the mention of Kazue's twin.

"He is a problem." There was no denying that. U-Jin shifted to wrap his hand around Kazue's bicep, giving it a squeeze. "I'll look into it. He'll have to be dealt with....differently. His memory was wiped but your shared face means everyone will guess that you two are connected." He sighed. "Has you tried to contact you?"

"Not directly. He has shown up to a few outings though,"
Kazue said with a distinct smile in his voice. In one sudden move, he grabbed U-Jin's hand and pressed it to his lips. The Rat stared at The Snake, his eyes containing that eerie violet glow -- indication of a strong Zodiac spirit within him. A sadistic one.

"I wanted permission to just... change his face a bit," he said. "I know you have quite a lot on your plate," The Rat whispered, squeezing his hand almost as if he were begging. And he was.

U-Jin's eyebrows furrowed together at that information. He'd need to put more security on Kazue, obviously. For his sake and the sake of others. A thought that was reaffirmed as he met Kazue's gaze, beautiful and unsettling at the same time.

"We could just have him deported." U-Jin offered, squeezing Kazue's hand back. "Maybe." He conceded.
"If you can convince one of the other Zodiac to listen to Arashi, I'll give you the go ahead."

The blood was warm under Kazue's skin. He let out a relieved sigh, and he shook U-Jin's hand as if they were conducting a business deal. Another one of his European jokes. The glow quelled a bit, and his eyes turned back to the screen. As if nothing happened.

"Thank you. I will do my best," Kazue promised earnestly, too, to be on his best behavior. There were too many eyes on him. For once, he did not mind it.

♡coded by uxie♡

For longer than half a moment, Konishi was stupid enough to fall for it. Reaching out to stabilize the limb, her mind whirled, had Nova hurt her arm before? Then she caught the glimmer in those bright eyes, and her worried look devolved into a pout. “Nova!” She let herself play along, trying to fit in, trying to match the tiger. Not wanting to ignore their third companion, she added, “Ai-chan, she’s teasing me.” She faltered in the face of the ice descending down her pale face. She knew it was the rooster’s way of protecting herself. Where Konishi crumpled, Ai turned blank, showing a strong face to the world. Loosening her grip, she shifted their hands so that their fingers were interlocked, trying to press as much warmth into the gesture as she could.

She let herself pause, to actually think about Arashi in this quiet peace. It was easy to forget that he was a person, after he’d sold his soul to the servants. She remembered when he fought them. She remembered him losing. Was that the last time? Did he start cooperating then? He was a figment of her nightmares, but deep down, Konishi knew he was as powerless as she was. How could she consider him a god if he was so weak? Could she judge so harshly, being weak herself? Wasn’t a god supposed to protect her? He couldn’t even protect himself. Was it fair to hold that against him?
Ai said:
“Let them have each other…”
Didn’t Akane deserve happiness too? Thinking back to her breakdown, the sight of her fractured self behind the perfect facade, Konishi couldn’t help but add, “It’s not like she’s happy either.” She wondered if she was just like her, just prettier. Was she desperate to feel safe? Loved? Would Konishi settle for Arashi to try and have that? If she was pretty enough that he’d want her, of course.

Nova of course focused on the new nickname. Konishi was grateful for the distraction, “Of course it was cute; our Ai is the cutest.” She smiled at the avian, glad she was trying despite (because of?) her crush. She nodded to her comment of plenty of other people. Especially if the curse was gone, they wouldn’t need someone who’d understand. They’d be able to hug whomever they wanted. “We could branch out. Our fellow Zodis can understand what we’re going through, but if the curse was gone, we wouldn’t need that.” She scuffed her shoe against the path, “For some of us, our soul mates might be one of us, but maybe there’s still people for the rest of us.” She almost sounded wistful.

Konishi slowed her pace to watch Nova fold over in laughter. Her shoulders crept up, and her face dropped to her scarf, trying to hide the burning of her cheeks. “I’ll have you know, even sheep have excellent senses of smell.” Her voice was muffled into the wool. She may have been aware of the extramarital activities of her fellow Zodiacs, but that didn’t mean she had to think about it!

She forced herself not to look at Ai when Nova asked about a crush on her. The tiger would be a wonderful partner. She was passionate in everything, bringing warmth to what she did. Maybe she’d teach her not to be ashamed? But while Konishi wanted that, she wanted it from anyone. She never felt like Nova was the one and only. She hadn’t found a one and only. Probably some defect on her part. She opened her mouth to answer, then grimaced, “Ew no!” She couldn’t stand the thought of having a crush on Arashi. She barely thought of him as a person anymore. Which was horrible of her. “You’re amazed Nova, don’t worry. But Arashi’s…” Here she trailed off. She glanced over at Ai, knowing the Zodiac didn’t share their vitriol. “Arashi’s too much of the servants’ puppet. Not…” She shrugged, looking down, “I’d want someone who likes me if nothing else.

lacuna

74 DAYS REMAINING

scroll

7AM SATURDAY
FEBRUARY 11TH

The Zodiac tour across Japan is abruptly cut short just before its final two destinations. Last night, servants, Zodiac, and God arrive back at the compound. No reason is given as to why the tour has ended.

In the morning, the Zodiac awake to shouting in the courtyard.

♡coded by uxie♡

fluticasone fluticasone
  inori
"Put that down, boy!" Inori snaps, nostrils flaring in anger. Her patience for God's tantrum is wearing thing. "Return to your room, and let the doctor put you to sleep. You must rest."
God snarls, "Rest?! Do you think I'm a fucking child?" Her cheeks flush red. "I won't let him touch me again! Neither of you are putting your fucking hands on me! Get out of the way or I will kill you! Do you understand me?!"
Inori grunts as God shoves past her and out the kitchen door. She grits her teeth, eyes darting to Gaku. The Zodiac doctor. "Go back to your office and prepare a syringe. Meet me in the courtyard." He nods in understanding. Inori leaves, and sprints after the God. She knows he will cross the courtyard in search of the Snake. She is well aware of what God asked of him, and how loyal he is. Inori must intercept him before she will have to deal with the Snake on top of the God's childishness.
"Where do you think you are running to? Do you want your Zodiacs to know how weak their God has become?" She calls after him, turning the corner of the building to see him halfway across the courtyard. God hesitates at that. She smirks to herself, pleased he took the bait. Inori is well-aware of the complex God has with his Zodiac.
"Does it matter now? If they know? Them, or the fucking world? You promised me a lifetime of love and devotion! Raised me to be a fucking god, only for it to all be another one of your deceptions!" God steps towards her, knuckles tightening. "Let's tell them. Every single one of them. THEY ALL HEAR ME, DON'T THEY? GOD ON ANOTHER FUCKING ONE OF HIS TANTRUMS, BUT THIS TIME THEY'LL KNOW EXACTLY WHY! I WON'T LET YOU MAKE ME OUT TO BE THE HEADCASE YOU CLAIM I AM! IT'S YOU! YOU AND THE OTHERS ARE SICK AND TWISTED! LIARS, MANIPULATORS, FOR EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE! WHERE IS IT?! THE LIFE YOU PROMISED ME! THE LIFE YOU ARE TAKING AWAY FROM ME NOW!"
Inori steps back as God takes another step forward. She recognizes that look in his eyes. Sees the cracks threatening to break and shatter the careful guise she put together for him. Weak, pathetic. God should never faltered. Where did she go wrong? "I never lied to you. They are all yours, to love and to give you love in return. I did not know the Rat would be born, or any of the others would be born in your generation." The Zodiac begin to gather in the courtyard, but Inori pays them no attention. "I have cared for you since you were a baby. I would not deceive you. You are my God."
God begins to shake. "DON'T! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT! YOU RAISED ME FOR A LIFE I WOULD NEVER HAVE! YOU SAW IT, IN YOUR VISIONS. YOU SAW THE BIRTH OF THE FINAL ZODIAC AND YOU KNEW. YOU KNEW WHAT WOULD COME AND YET YOU SAID NOTHING." He rushes forward and raises his arm, sunlight glinting off the steel of a kitchen knife in his hand.
Inori nearly trips. Her eyes shift from God to someone behind him. A mistake, she quickly realizes. He turns in time to see the doctor, syringe in hand, lunge for him. God grabs the doctor's arm and shoves him away. Inori watches in horror as the knife slides into Gaku's stomach. The syringe falls to the ground as the doctor stumbles back. In confusion, God stares at his hands as the blade slides back out. Blood seeps through the doctor's shirt.
"I told you," God breathes, shaking his head. "I TOLD YOU ! DON'T! TOUCH! ME!" He screams and rushes after the doctor. In the blink of an eye, Inori watches as God raises slams the doctor into the ground. His knife makes violent contact with his body again. God raises the knife a third time, but his hand is caught by the Snake. Shock keeps Inori rooted in place for seconds too long.
Coming to her senses, Inori takes advantage of the Snake's intervention. She approaches as quickly and quietly as she can. It becomes clear she hesitated for too long, for God has recovered from his own shock. He hears her coming. They both scramble for the syringe. God knocks her back and grabs it for himself. His hand is on her throat and within seconds, she feels the needle pierce her skin.
"I WANT ALL OF YOU GONE!" God screams. "OUT OF MY COMPOUND! I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU OR ANY OF THEM! YOU ARE NOTHING WITHOUT US! YOU TAKE ME AND PRETEND TO BE MY MOTHER! YOU TOOK ALL OF US! I'M NOT YOURS ANYMORE! I AM GOD, AND YOU WILL NO LONGER SERVE ME!" The grip on her throat does not loosen until God is seized by a sudden fit. He lets her go, coughing violently into his arm.
Inori staggers, and looks over at the Zodiac watching. She blinks as her vision blurs. "Go to your rooms!" She slurs. Her mind slips away, and everything goes black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back