Story Knight's Chronicles: Nightmares

Unforgiven7120

The Remnant
Here's a story that I have had in my head for almost a decade. It's... hard to describe precisely the genre it's supposed to be, because it's designed to be a horror story, but without the traditional horror elements. It's a story about a person who has suffered a great deal three years ago in her timeline, and is about to go through another tragic incident similar to what she had.
tl;dr: Expect mutated monsters similar to classic Resident Evil and Dead Space combined and a protagonist who feels otherwise.

And feel free to comment. I hope some people enjoy this.

Warning: This contains explicit language and content that could be found offensive.
Do take this into consideration when reading if you are sensitive to certain topics.

(August 2nd, 2012, Riverport Herald. Burger Haven Shooting!
Police responded to an attempted robbery of the local Burger Haven on Booker Street yesterday at 9:45pm when four robbers entered the fast food restaurant and pointed guns at the employees and customers inside the store. Unfortunately for the robbers, one of the customers fought back and killed the robbers in return.

Police Sergeant Timothy Weber said that the customer, 23 year old Taylor Knight, was trying to eat in one of the booths alone when one of the gunmen approached her. When Knight asked the robber to leave her be, the robber attempted to pull Knight from the booth. Knight was able to disarm the man and open fire upon all four of the gunmen, dealing fatal wounds and then eventually killing them when the men were incapacitated from their injuries.

Weber said that witnesses declared that Knight was very calm throughout the incident, instructing employees to call the police and tell them what happened. Marissa Sanderson was the first to call emergency services and explain what happened.

When police arrived, Knight was sitting in the booth she first was at eating the remainder of her food. Knight explained what happened in the shooting to responding officers, and after an hour of investigating the incident, Knight was let free, as well as the employees and customers that remained.

Police have yet to give out the identities of the men who initiated the robbery, but after further investigation, more information will be available.
)

A loud noise woke me up. More people outside my apartment I guess protesting against me. Since the shooting, I've been vilified as a murderer who killed four men indiscriminately, and I've been praised as a hero for saving so many people. You can't win. I can't win. I guess it's time to figure out what the fuck is going on.

I looked over at my alarm clock, 15:43. "Too early..." The apartment was a bit chilly inside. A nice comfortable seventy degrees, and these blankets make getting out of bed difficult. But I heard muffled voices outside my door. "God... damnit. Don't these motherfuckers have anything better else to do?"

I gathered my clothes and put them on, better not let the "good" people of Riverport to have a show. Just what I would need. "Nude Murderer Harassed at Her Home." Good. I entered the living room and peered through the window that looked outside my home. More of them, upset about the scumbags I killed because they wouldn't leave me the fuck alone. Truth be told, that's all I wanted. They could have taken everything from the store had they not messed with me. But no... as usual, people became greedy, and tried to take far more than they could handle. It cost them their lives, and it cost me my self-loathing peace.

I picked up the phone and dialed non-emergency. A tender, but stern voice spoke to me and I explained the situation. Sure enough, thirty minutes later after watching Netflix, I hear police telling the people to disperse and check up on me. "Everything okay Miss Knight?"

"Yes Officer Sandler, just the same people trying to make me feel guilty about last week."

"I still think it's strange that you don't feel guilty about killing those guys."

"A lot of people will think it's strange, and I should feel guilty. If you've been through the same shit I've been through though..."

"I know, I know. You kind of stop feeling human at some point. Just... you know, maybe if you sympathized or showed some kind of remorse..."

"No. Those motherfuckers threatened my life and the life of others. They forfeit their lives when they pulled those guns out. If you were there, would you cower like the rest of them or taken action against them?"

"I would have tried reasoning with them Taylor..."

"And gotten shot as a result. These assholes weren't fucking around Officer, and people need to stop fucking feeling sad and sorry for people who are fucking shitbags trying to harm other people."

"Listen, I'm not disagreeing with you, but some restraint would have been appreciated rather than finishing them off."

"It doesn't matter now, and no matter what I would have done, I still would be treated like shit by people who would have been cowering in fear in the same situation."

"Alright Taylor. Just saying. Well, if they show up again..."

"I'll let you know. Thank you for chasing them off, I appreciate it."

"I know. Take care of yourself Miss Knight."

"You too."

Great... I feel like shit now. Just because three years ago I woke up in a hospital after having one of the most realistic dreams one could have involving zombies, I have a hard time dealing with what I saw and feeling anything when my life is on the line. If only people understand what I saw and suffered through. The pain of seeing a child being eaten by their zombified parents, the torment that followed after killing an entire family. Everything I did... I perceived as real. It felt real. And then to wake up after dying? To wake up and everything was the way it was before I had this coma? A fucking year went by and it turned out to be nothing. God... and now this. I have people thanking me on the street for saving Burger Haven, but around the corner, I have people calling me a murderer. What the fuck am I? A hero or a villain? Neither I guess... I don't know, I need more sleep.

Well, it seems that people are viewing this, so I'll keep going. This definitely is fun for me, and I hope those reading are enjoying what is being written. Once again, comments are welcome, and once again, there is explicit content in here. Be warned.

----------------------------------------------------------------

18:19. Sounds about right. Two hours of sleep since I was last awake. Wait... wasn't I supposed to be somewhere... "Oh shit... Burger Haven!" I was invited by the owner of the Burger Haven here in Riverport to attend some sort of appreciation thing or some shit. I told the owner I would attend, but I have to get there at 19. "Fuck... fuck fuck fuck." I hopped out of bed into the fucking cold room, "God damnit..." and stumbled into the shower.

18:33. Shower's done, got my white button down shirt and black cargo pants on, just gotta put on my boots. Done. Gotta fucking go. Got a ten minute walk from here to the Burger Haven. Hope nothing else happens.

I arrived at Burger Haven, and sure as shit, there were plenty of people there. "Great... just what I need." Some of the people involved at the shooting came out and greeted me.

"Miss Knight! Thank you so much for showing up. We really appreciate you taking the time to attend this party for you."

"Yeah... no problem."

"I'm the owner of this particular store, Donald Peters," another person approached me before we stepped inside. "I wound up looking at the footage of what happened a week ago, and I gotta say, I thank you for keeping my store and employees safe."

"Yeah..." Everyone seemed interested in me now, and began to approach me to thank me. Slow... deep, breaths Taylor. This crowd will leave you alone soon enough.

Ten minutes later, and everyone was seated, the lights were turned down and essentially the store was closed. Donald was standing in front of the counter with a make-shift projector screen behind him. "We, are all here to appreciate the efforts of a brave woman who risked her life to save the lives of everyone here on August 2nd." I didn't risk anything. The robbers never knew what hit them. "We are here to appreciate the efforts of Taylor Knight. Come up here Taylor." I feigned a smile and walked up to the counter. He shook my hand and... something was off. A few people were coughing before, but now about a third of the people here were coughing. "Thank you, from the bottom of everyone's heart, for going above and beyond to save the good people of this store." Something's wrong. Something's very wrong. There are people in pain now coughing. Oh God... and now people are concerned. "It's a shame..." Donald squeezed my hand tightly now, preventing me from moving my hand away, "that we'll all see the monsters that we are truly are inside." What? I ripped my hand away from Donald, and somebody screamed, followed by more screaming. Panic has set in, and... what the actual fuck? Somebody started to mutate in front of me, their skin starting to pull apart, and muscle began to show. Bone started to extend from their hands in the shape of claws... No... Not again. "It's too late now..." Donald said, his face contorting in anguish, but still maintaining something resembling a grin. "You too will... become a monster... You too... You too will die with the rest of us."

"Fuck this." Front door was locked, and more and more... Jesus. Those who aren't mutating are starting to get mauled by the infected. I hopped over the counter and sprinted as best as I could for the back door. It was open. But... what... there's no fucking way. There's no fucking way whatever the fuck was going on inside is happening outside. But... there is a monster... a mutated person with their skin ripped apart and muscles bulging from the torn flesh, sharp claws and teeth protruding from their body stood in front of me. "Fuck." I ducked down as it lunged at me, hitting the wall behind me. It knocked itself out from the impact, and collapsed on the asphalt ground.

Screams now permeate the town, and something caught my attention. A little blonde girl running away from one of the monsters. "Oh shit... no..." I needed to save her. Shit... I need to save her God damnit.

Well, this was kind of forced writing, but hopefully it's still good enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was distant gunfire now ringing out all over. Responding officers perhaps. The screaming was beginning to die down. Maybe more people are dying? I don't know. All I know is I was chasing after this girl and the monster chasing her. What if I'm too late? Gunshots. Closeby too. Three rounds and then a male screaming in agony. I turned the corner into an alley and saw the monster ripping into the man. He was a police officer trying to protect the girl, who finally entered the building. She looked back and gasped, and the monster turned its attention to her. She tried closing the door, but the monster slammed claws first into the door and charged inside. I heard a scream from the girl. "No... no no no no God DAMNIT!" I sprinted towards the cop and picked up his pistol.

It was the back storage of a building, looked the Stapler building judging by the office supplies. The monster was thrashing at some supplies, probably where the girl was hiding. I approached the monster and fired two rounds into its head. It slumped over without even an after twitch. Dead. The ringing in my ears faded away, and I could hear the girl wimpering. I looked at the pistol, M1911. Lovely. That officer knew how to arm himself. Two rounds left though. I looked towards where the girl was, and leaned over to see her. "Are you okay?" She nodded, but was still in shock. I looked around and made sure there was nothing else inside here. I reached my hand towards her. "It's okay, there's no more of them in here." She reached out and grabbed my hand to come out from her hidey hole. "What's your name?" I asked her.

"Mad... Madeline..."

"That's a pretty name. My name is Taylor Knight."

"That's a nice name too..." She was shy. So very shy. She wasn't looking at me directly, and she kept her head down too.

I put my hand on her shoulder and told her, "It'll be okay. I'll keep you safe and get you back to your parents, okay?"

She finally looked at me with her green eyes, partially afraid, but still trusting me. "Okay."

I reached out my left hand and she grabbed it so she could stay close to me. This pistol probably has two or three rounds left, I need to check the officer to see if he had any spare magazines. We stepped outside of the back area into the alley and saw the mangled body of the officer. "Look away honey and stand by the door. I have to do something," I told Madeline. She complied and I bent down to examine the officer. Dead, thankfully. I would not envy the pain he was in. I reached down to his belt and pulled two fresh magazines from his pouches. Before I stood up, I examined the name of the officer. "Rest in peace Officer Rodriguez." I stood back up and called for Madeline to come to me.

There was a strange quiet to the town now. What the fuck happened? How could this whole town get infected at once? This doesn't make sense at all. Maybe I should go home first and get some supplies? I think that would be the safest and figure out what the fuck is going on. It's only fifteen minutes anyway. "Hey, Madeline, I'm going to take you to my place first so I can try and figure out what to do. It's only fifteen minutes away and we'll be safe there."

"Okay."

This seriously cannot be happening again. This is almost exactly like it was three years ago in the fucking forced nightmare. Except this time it's not zombies, and I have a feeling that this is actually real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back