• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Kingdoms at War

For Duvan, the day started as it seemed all days started, praying to the Ancestors for keeping Paradox sealed, and to the Earth for being the home of all life. Today was different though, Duvan could feel it. In the first hours of waxing sunlight though, the morning seemed like any other morn of any other day. The sounds of the world woke with the sounds of the of clicking, wooden practice swords, or spears. The sounds of the birds showed no care to the militaristic ritual showing to at least Duvan that Nature had very little care nor sympathy for the cause. The cause that brought such fame to the Chilled Water Hold, and more importantly, Duvan.

Duvan felt his chest, the blue paint hadn't come off in the river, the night before. He shrugged into a dirt colored over shirt, followed by his chest belt. His dirty trousers would have to do for the day, he decided as he slung a belt on, he would either be training or milking the oxen, but he never felt comfortable without a sword or an ax, or at least his scramasax. He stepped into the light, children clicked little sticks in imitation of the adults, the Black Eyes worked the forms with a sword of their design, some long, two handed, curved thing. In a moment Duvan felt something take his leg, one of the younger kids, followed by a horde of his little peers. Duvan crouched, "What are you little ones doing out this early?" He smiled.

"We wanted the end of your story." The young Karridan folded his arms, in reflection of his Red Arm father.

"The end?" Duvan chuckled, digging for the shovel to dig out of his hole, "Well, the Shrieking Bird, laying in the snow, breathing its last, looked up to the moon, and let out a howl," He imitated the shriek, tickling one of the unsuspecting children, "While Three Eye trotted back to his lady love, they kissed, and lived the rest of their days in much glory." He took Karridan's arm and stood, lifting the child up. The children laughed and tackled him.

Each in turn put their forehead to his and thanked him for the story, then ran along, playing a game that he guessed was based off of it. "Not how I remember it." A stern voice said from behind.

"I had to make it up to avoid that end Kama, they are too young yet." Duvan twisted from his place in the dirt.

"Place yourself on your feet Duvan, you are in the presence of your Elk Queen." She hissed.

"My Father Sister first." He countered, "Besides, I have never seen an elk with such thin hips." she recoiled from his wry smile.

"I shall have your tongue!" She howled.

"Yet surely you bellow like the She Elk." He rolled on his back, drumming his legs. The men close by jumped and shouted, laughed or slapped the dirt. The women sniffed or clicked spear shafts and sword blades. "Lest we forget your beauteous face, never have I seen such a graceful and beautiful She Elk." He smiled.

"That may work on the young Maidens, to make them jump to your tent, but not a lady." She tramped away.

Duvan barked and howled on all fours a moment then chuckled, jumping to his feet. Some men laughed, and some shook heads, none blamed him, and most found him humorous. "Brother Duvan!" A large ox herder gripped his arm.

"Welm, I was just on my way to your oxen pens." Duvan lied.

"Forget the oxen, the Counsel of Five is convening, no one knows why, your name was mentioned several times." Welm was almost in a huff, if that could be said about him.

"Was it in anger, was it good, Welm?" Duvan held the man by his shirt.

"I cannot say. Only that it was heard." He shrunk away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back