• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Keystrokes

~~~~~~~~~~

Adeline was sound asleep come the day her new servant was to start his first day working. She hired a new butler, mainly because her parents had come over for a visit, and the few servants she had struggled to keep the place clean and deal with the mansion themselves. So her parents basically forced her to get another. But not really interested in it, and too lazy to do an actual interview with the thousand of applicants, she just had her head maid find someone. Worst case, she didn't like the guy, she fired him, and then she still wouldn't care, since she wasn't the one that wanted another butler. Though, she supposed it would be a smart idea...the place did get messy, of her own doing, quite often.

When the servant had knocked on the door, Adeline was still sound asleep. She couldn't even hear the knock from where she was in the mansion in his room. Well, it wasn't quite on a mansion level. But, for a single person - with a few servants - it was rather grand and impressive still. Unknowing to the visitor at the door, the head of the house continued to sleep, even though it was at least ten in the morning.

One of the maids had finally heard the knocking and quickly went to answer the door. Opening it, she quickly bowed and apologize "Welcome, I apologize for the delay" she spoke, before standing back up with a smile on her face "May I help you?"​

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasper, in a fine tailored suit, stood at the doorway with his a suitcase in his right hand. He had his other free hand in his coat pocket, casually glancing about until the door to the manor finally opened. He smiled charmingly at the maid, finding it odd that the head of the house wasn't opening the door on the day of his arrival. He quickly assumed the owner just had the servants always open the door.

"I'm here for the new butler position. I was expected to be here a little later, but my ride managed to bring me by early. Am I to be taken through the various tasks I'll be performing throughout my service to the head of the household? Or are we skipping such formalities?" He didn't falter, not once, despite the pressure. In a worse case scenario, he'd be fired and he'd have to find another job. Not that he was too scared of losing his job, he just didn't like the task of looking for a new one. He always could each employer to be a challenge. A goal he had to surpass. If he didn't win, he wasn't happy.

"May I come in, anyhow? The weather outside is....rather dreadful this morning." He smiled still, though he felt the dreary tone of the sky held little reassurance of how the day would proceed. He liked warm days, with life blooming from the buds of flowers and people awakened from the depths of their homes.​

Leanne, the head maid of the staff had been the one to answer the door, respectfully as always despite not knowing who the visitor was. After she had looked back up from her polite bow, she noticed how the man was dressed, and while he was explaining briefly who he was, the Leanne had already realized who he must be - being the new butler they had recently hired.

Smiling apologetically, she quickly stepped aside "Oh yes, my apologies, please do come in" she said as she stepped to the side with the door open to allow the man inside. She smiled as she shut it behind her "It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Leanne Madrick, and I'm the head maid of the household" she introduced herself "Jasper, was it? We've been awaiting your arrival. I'm glad you were able to make it, a safe and pleasant trip I hope" she said, not knowing from how far he has travelled.

She seemed to be delaying the subject of introducing the head of the house at the moment. But as she introduced herself and the man was clearly awaiting next things in order, it was hard to prolong much further "Unfortunately, the Head of the Household is...ah well.... they are still sleeping, unfortunately" she said with an awkward and apologetic smile "I assure you it's not as though to mean ill-preparedness for your arrival....you'll find this is quite a normal occurrence" she said as she motioned for him to follow her "Why don't I show you to where you'll be staying for the time being. Meanwhile while you get settled in I'll go wake her" she offered as she headed to the second floor where all of the servants quarters and bedrooms were.​

"There's no need for the apologies, miss. I had expected to be in later. Any preparations not complete for my arrival aren't the fault of the staff of this household. Mistakes happen, after all."

Jasper simply nodded when she asked to ensure his name was, indeed, Jasper. He seemed rather preoccupied with marveling at the interior of the manor when he finally stepped in, but once she stopped speaking and suggested they go to the servant's quarters, he simply followed behind her while saying something along the lines of,"Yes, miss."

He walked behind her casually, glancing about every so often in the attentive way he often did to gauge his surroundings. He liked to learn and examine things, despite not really having the attitude to demonstrate such observance. "The Head of the House usually sleeps till this time? Is it to be expected I don't awake them before this time?" He glanced to his pocket watch, noticing how late it was. Strange, really, but he managed to convince himself that the maid was simply playing a trick on him. No one slept this late. Not any reasonable, respectable person. He would play along, though, for the sake of a good laugh.

"How many people serve this household? For such a big manor, I don't seem to see many people hurrying about." He was genuinely curious, but he wasn't actually looking at Leanne to indicate such. Instead he was looking at the grand decor, beautiful furniture, and exquisite architecture. What a stunning place to call home, honestly.

Would it be an equally interesting place he'd call his job?

Leanne was quite fond to hear how well mannered the new butler seemed to be. She didn't know if he was usually this well mannered throughout the job, or perhaps he was just trying to make good first impressions. Either way, Leanne had in all honesty been worried about the new help being hired for the place. The Mistress hadn't seemed very interested in hiring anyone even after the lecture from her parents, and seemed to do so reluctantly in order to simply please them and make them go away.

Hearing his commentary regarding the Head still asleep and the hour of day it currently was, nearing eleven in the morning now, she gave an awkward smile "I assure you, it is quite a normal occurrence you'll come to get used to. The head of the House is often awake into the late night working, and so sleeps until late morning more often than not, unless there are other appointments or such needing their attention" she said as they made their way up to the second floor, where she furthered down the hall as she continued to speak with the new butler "Tell me, have you hear much of when you were hired? It is of no inconvenience, I'm only curious as to how much you know of the head of the household, and your the duties entailed in your job that are going to be expected of you" she said. After all, with how unenthusiastic and laid back the Mistress was regarding the hiring process, Leanne wouldn't at all be surprised if this man didn't know a thing. She wouldn't be surprised if the Miss had so much as picked an applicant out of a hat, in all honesty.

Hearing his question regarding the staff, she smiled "The head prefers more quiet than anything else, so as you noted, there are not many of us as you may be used to. You arriving makes for a sixth addition. We have our Head Cheff, his assistant, and three other maids including myself, although one primarily works outside on the landscaping and gardening.

"Here is your room" she said, opening the door to reveal a cozy and spacious room with anything possible needed. An own adjoined bathroom, the bedroom holding, of course, a bed, of queen size, a closet, desk, and bureau, and window facing the back yard, which was by no means small or unpleasant to look at. "You're welcome to decorate your room as you see fit, or rearrange it however you please" she commented as she had opened the door and allowed the male inside "Please make yourself comfortable while I go get the Head of the House for you" she said, bowing politely before leaving and shutting the door behind her.​

Jasper had opened his mouth to respond when he heard the door click shut. He sighed, deciding whatever he had to say hadn't really been important enough to warrant her company anyways. She had other things to do. More responsibilities than he could likely imagine.

He unpacked his things and neatly arranged them around the room. He determined that the location of the furniture suited his tastes for now, but later he might shift some things around. His clothes were lined in an orderly manner within the drawers of the dresser and the closet. He'd put the necessary toiletry items in the bathroom. He'd even put a couple of pictures on top of the dresser and the desk. Memoirs, he called them, of times and places no longer within his grasp. Though he wasn't really that poetic, they were just memories he cherished a little too fondly to allow his brain to forget.

He went to stand at the window, deciding to take a look at the view that was provided. It wasn't unsightly by any means, but the weather was dreadful. The clouds hung overhead in a gloomy, dark manner, blocking out the radiance of the sun. Rain would follow shortly.

He decided to admire the beauty of the sight before him before the rain or the head of the house arrived. He didn't know which would get there first, but he wouldn't ponder that for long. It was just a game of waiting, and waiting, and waiting....A game most butlers should know well.​

As a light knocking echoed throughout the dark and quiet room, the Lady of the House was sound asleep in her bed. And despite her smooth and flawless complexion, her habits represented nothing of the sorts. She was curled over in her bed with the blankets tangled around her limbs messily, as to represent some metaphor to how attached she really was to her bed, and in turn, her sleep. The floor was probably worse than her unrefined image on the bed. Clothes were strewn about, as well stuffed animals and shoes. In simplest terms - it resembled a child's room. Stuffed animals were gathered in corners of the room, and crowded her bed alongside with the madam.

After receiving no reply even after calling out to the miss of the house, Leanne headed into the room, as unsurprised as every by the display of mess in the room. She sighed softly as she carefully made her way over to the woman's bedside, careful not to trip or knock anything over - not that it would make for a difference in the organization or cleanliness of the room.

"Miss....Miss Klaus, please wake up..." Leanne sighed, politely shaking the sleeping woman on the bed. After her attempts still failed however, Leanne wasn't surprised - it took an earthquake to wake the young woman. Sighing, she walked over to the bathroom door adjoined to the bedroom, before opening it, and slamming it shut, causing the sleeping woman to finally jolt awake.

These line of events is what lead to the rather groggy and grumpy Adeline waking herself up further and getting dressed to go greet the butler. She really wasn't a morning person in the least, and it took at least ten minutes for her to stop glaring and irritably snapping at the maid, whom was all too used to the morning routine, knowing Adeline wasn't really a mean person, only a grumpy waker.

After having her favorite tea brought up to help wake her, and getting dressed, Adeline messily ran a hand through her long dirty blond locks to try and neaten out the tangles and bed head. Despite the slight presence of minuscule bedhead still present, Adeline made her way out of her room, covering her mouth as she yawned while heading to the room that should now hold her new butler. Descending from the third floor to the second where his room was, she arrived at the once vacant room with a soft knock on the door.​

Jasper had finished up a majority of the organization and planning of his room by the time there was a knock on the door. He'd grown bored of waiting, though he would never voice such concerns. He was an employee after all. The master of the household was his employer and bad reputations only soiled whatever chances he had of being held in high esteem. One doesn't simply gain positions with wealthy, influential people in society with a horrible track record. He'd worked hard for what he had. He worked even harder to keep it. And he'd work hardest to make sure this job was a complete and utter success. Though he'd throw in a joke here or there to keep things interesting.

With the knock, he approached the door. He grabbed the doorknob and turned it so that the door could be opened. Upon seeing who was outside he pulled the door completely open to fully reveal himself.

"Hello, madam. I presume you're the Mistress of the Household?" He asked, bowing. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Waiting patiently outside the door she could hear the shuffling of feet coming from the other side before the redheaded male opened the door and greeted her. Looking up at the taller male as he politely greeted and bowed to her, she nodded lightly to him "Yes, Adeline Klaus" she introduced herself before continuing "Jasper Valentine, correct? Pleased to finally meet you" She spoke offering a light smile on her usually stoic face, hoping to make him feel welcome here.

"I apologize in the delay of my attendance. I wasn't expecting you for another hour or so" she explained, though, the way she spoke showed no concern regarding the issue, and she didn't particularly mind "I'm glad you were able to arrive well" she stated before catching a brief glance inside his room "It seems you've managed to unpack for the most part. I hope the room is comfortable for you" she said before stepping to the side so he could come out.

"Shall I give you a tour then so you can become acquainted? I know it was briefly mentioned on the job offer however I will also go over in more detail of what your duties here will entail, and if you have any questions or concerns please do ask" she informed as she waited for the taller male to be ready and leave his room so that she could go over everything with him "I will also introduce you to the rest of the staff."​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back