• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Kaizoa: A New Earth

Da Doofus

Veteran Geek
At the end of the 2nd millennium, the Earth experienced a massive continental shift. The resulting cataclysm awoke slumbering beasts under the surface. What followed after was the gradual destruction of what was once mankind's world.
The Noah project was soon created to save thousands of souls from this apocalypse. Yours was launched and now landed after being cryogenically frozen for an unknown amount of time. You and the passengers have arrived in a tropical paradise that seems almost alien to the world you left.

A party of colonists have been assembled to take the first steps and establish a camp outside the ship. You are among them, and you will soon see what has become of Earth.

The alarm on the transport's interior began to blare as the other volunteers released their passenger belts and picked up their bags.
This was it. The first steps you'd make on this new place.

Spirits were in questionable height since the disappearance of the research expedition three weeks ago. The Noah was already stirred up with rumors of a creature sneaking aboard a few months ago, but supplies aboard the ship were kept in ration so this was the next step dictated by protocol.

Captain Stryx Caffield entered from the pilot's chamber.

"Listen up. We're approaching the landing zone now. First thing we'll be doing is setting up a perimeter, and making camp." He scanned the faces of the volunteers. "Everyone works. I see anyone not pulling their weight, you will be reprimanded."
With his brief instruction done he returned to the chamber, his cybernetic leg prosthetic clanking on the metal flooring.

The blonde-haired fellow with poorly trimmed stubble looked to you.
"Why the hell's a cripple in charge of this trip?" He spoke loud enough to be heard over the alarm, but with hope Caffield wouldn't hear.
"Nicholas Arper." He offered a handshake.

June Akiyoshi had never expected to be amongst the thousands chosen to leave Earth and eventually return to it. Sure, she'd been a renown linguist, but not nearly important enough to be picked amongst billions. Perhaps her other studies on animal psychology and communications had given her an edge. Though she couldn't imagine anybody being able to translate the language of those Apexes she'd witnessed upon the Noah's departure from Earth.

Regardless, there was no time left to ponder the intentions of those in charge. A few weeks ago the first team to venture out of the Noah had gone missing. Word had quickly spread about their alleged death which had struck fear in the hearts of many passengers. For some, however, it was a call to arms; it was the trigger needed to step forward and volunteer themselves to search for their missing comrades.

June was part of this group.

They hadn't been chosen to sit back and expect others to do the work. Besides, being the botanical hobbyist she was, the prospect of coming across new plant life was too enticing. Not only that, but a part of her was more willing to accept being the second group to disappear rather than being one of the thousands to hear the news.

Alarms brought June out of her web of thoughts and had her following suit with everyone else. Captain Stryx's voice registered in her ears and she glanced in his direction. She nodded to herself and hauled her bag over her shoulder.

The man next to her spoke up and June immediately stared at his lips as to hear better; the alarm felt as though it was becoming louder even if she doubted it actually was. An amused smile curled at the edges of her lips and she shook the man's hand.

"Probably because everyone else got snatched. It's kind of why we're here," She replied. "I'm June. What made you volunteer?" As she spoke she started heading out, but kept her eyes on Nicholas to show she was still listening.

"Got tired of all the claustrophobic crap on the Noah. Not to mention the ration tablets." He feigned gagging. "At least this way I can say I got some personal freedom."

Slight turblence shook the vessel as it began its descent into the clearing amidst the jungle.
Nicholas gripped the handle above him tightly.
"I used to work as a housebot salesman. This sure beats pawning off junk." He chuckled nervously as the ship rattled once more.

A nearby Security Syndroid glanced at his statement. He was magnetically attached to the ship's wall via mount. The blonde noticed and shrank down at the sentient, but still glass, eyes.
"Uh . . . No offense."

"None taken, sir." He nodded, the digital voice bearing clear marks of human tone alongside the thick accent reminiscent of the old Russian country.

"ETA for landing: 45 seconds." The pilot's voice came from the speakers, cutting off the alarm.
Nicholas sighed and wiped his forehead.

"Here we go. Just like those pioneers, huh?" He chuckled.

When the turbulence hit, June mirrored her new friend's actions and held on. "I'm not so sure about personal freedom, but I'll take this over being holed up in the Noah any day."

She chuckled at the jab about housebots, but couldn't help a laugh when the Syndroid made its presence known, and Nicholas' immediate reaction. Admittedly, it felt good to have some decent human reaction before their new expedition. Back at the Noah, she hadn't met many people with whom she'd been able to have interesting conversations.

"I think I'm going to help with setting up the perimeter when we land. What about you?" She asked, wondering if maybe he'd tag along. She knew it would probably be important to establish a few familiar faces - she had no idea how long they were going to be out there.

He shook his head.
"Can't. Sorry, I'm with the communications team. First thing we're doing is setting up a radio to the Noah." He pointed to his data device. "One of the reasons they picked this spot, smoother terrain and less interference from the atmosphere."

A small glimpse of a misted, tropical horizon came into view from the tiny glass porthole opposite June's side of the vessel, next to another passenger's head.

A last reminder that they were all outside before the big plunge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back