• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Just A Question...

ProperPluviophile

See beyond what you see.
Hopefully I can word this right...

Let's say, for instance, you are on another RP forum/site of some kind, and you stumble across an RP that you find interesting. If you changed it slightly and gave the original person credit for the idea, would you be able to create a similar RP on here? Are these precautions necessary?

I kind of realize that this is a stupid question ( O.o ), but I don't want to break any rules, and I need to be sure. Thanks to anyone who can answer my question!

If they copyrighted it, then you would have to contact the original creator of the plot and ask them if you can use it. If for example it is a well known book or film, you could put it in the fandom roleplay section.

Well we couldn't really regulate it, so technically it would be fine. But I'm strongly of the opinion that doing so without asking and crediting the creator would be a huge dick move.

There currently aren't any rules against it.

However, if you copy a rp from this site and the creator contacts us asking us to take it down, we might depending on the situation.

It's not a stupid question, it's much better in the long run to get clarification than to accidentally break rules. :)

As a rule of thumb, if you use the ideas or settings of other people from other sites here on RpN, we strongly advise you a) contact them first for permission, b) credit them for their original ideas and c) be prepared for an eventuality in which someone remarks that you 'stole' the RP from the original creator.

Captain Hesperus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back