Jo "Sparks" Roman

Roman Valkyrie

warrior by blood
Character Name: Jo Roman

Character Aliases: Sparks

Age Bracket: 28, Late twenties

Character Description: Jo covets comfort over fashion choosing sneakers or boots over heels. Her attire usually consists of sweat pants, jeans, yoga pants and plain t-shirts, tank tops or long sleeves. A leather jacket, jean jacket or simple over-sized hoodie to keep warm adorns her closet. Applying makeup is too much of a chore, as she'd rather spend her waking moments doing something more exciting. Jo has always felt she was who she was inside and out, others just needed to deal with it. Her hair, long wavy and brunette, is often worn in a messy ponytail during strenuos activity. Otherwise, it falls to a parted side, usually with a mind of its own. 

When agitated, her black eyes lighten to a mid tone grey. 

Personality: Jo's second language is sarcasm, and she speaks it quite fluently. She's quite blunt and outspoken, often times considered abrasive in her approach towards others. She's not one who quite understand social pleasantries and often finds them annoying and deceiving. Jo has no patience for stupidity or mental weakness outside of her very small inner circle of two, herself and her sister, Cora. Though her affections are evasive, once earned, Jo is a considerate and loyal friend. She also has a soft spot for the relationships of others, especially family and everyone knows true friends are just family you've chosen. Despite her modern mutation, Jo has an affinity for nature as well.

Jo is also, for lack of a better term, possessive of her things. Everything that is hers was earned through either hard work or thievery, which in of itself is hard work. Therefore, she's not a fan of sharing her equipment, and don't even think about touching her food without asking. Whatever she likes, she takes, because she can. Her preferences lean towards the newest technology and occasionally jewelry she finds pleasant to the eye, though she never wears them. 

Mutant Powers:

Electokenesis: Jo has the ability to manipulate and expel electricity, the electrical potential easily reaching that of your typical lightening strike. She can control the voltage of her strikes but its not precise.

Electrical Boost: When feeling exhausted or weak, Jo can absorb electricity from appliances or outlets through touch for a short boost of energy, comparable to an adrenaline rush. 

Electrokenetic Sight: Jo can visualize the electrical signature around her, including organic electrical currents produced by the human and mutant body. She can even recognize those of who she knows well, comparable to a scent or a voice. Very helpful in situations where darkness can be used to hinder others.

Disruption of organic electrical impulses: The human body generates its own electrical currents for various reasons. Jo has the ability to interrupt such currents through touch, though this is by no means mastered. In theory she should be able to temporarily render another immobile by interrupting the nerve signals, but the human/mutant body is complicated. The adversaries she's tried this on have suffered from unconsciousness, seizures, memory loss, acute onset of mental illness and sometimes death. Therefore its only used in extreme situations or when she can take her time to practice on the individual, and boy has she practiced, but to no avail.

Technokenesis: Jo has the ability to control technology in very simplistic ways. Examples include simple things such as t.v.'s, radios, basic cameras, lights, to on, off, changing stations, rotating surveillance  cameras. Her mutations is organic in nature and more in depth control of technology is out of her reach. And such things can only be controlled if their are no complicated back up systems or AI in place. 

Non Mutant abilities:

Skills: Slight of hand, parkour, kick boxing, stealth and basic small blade skills 

Education: Jo couldn't stand the stupidity of many of her teachers and had a problem with authority, so she dropped out. She continued to teach herself and sneakily attended college courses that interested her or she deemed necessary. She's a bit of a science nerd, though she's horrible at math.

Interests/Likes: Science, knowledge, food, animals, Cora, dancing, music

Weaknesses: Jo's mutation is tied to her emotions, extreme emotional responses warrant her mutation to activate, leaving skin electrically charged and therefore untouchable. Gadgets around her have also been known to short out around her when excited. Her electrokenesis is easily disarmed with water, having her feet submerged or simply soaking her in water causes the electrical current produced by her to short and attack her instead. As her adversary, be sure you are not submerged with her, water is also a conductor, and she just might deem the hit to herself worth it if it takes the other down.

Social norms are sometimes viewed as pointless and are also not always understood by her. Why ask how someone is if you really don't care? Fear is a healthy feeling, and for some reason Jo seems to lack it when it comes to her own safety. As such her snide and sarcastic mouth tends to either get her or keep her in deep water. 

Equipment: Her most prized possessions include her CS One Urban Brawler motorcycle and a specialized helmet. The helmet's visor doubles as a screen, displaying traffic patterns in real time including specialized vehicles that are running tracking programs.

Previous History: Jo was a child of the foster system of New York City. Most homes couldn't deal with her head strong and independent tendencies, which suited Jo just fine as she couldn't stand most of them either. During her early teenage years she was placed in a home where the family was only in the system to collect a paycheck, the foster father was in it for additional reasons. John Murphy was abusive, in more ways than one and it was during his attacks that Jo's mutation manifested itself. She can still remember the smell of singed hair and peeling his flesh from her own skin. It was then, feeling empowered, that Jo decided to give life a go on her own terms, vowing to never be a victim again.

She survived on the streets, teaching herself the academics she wished to learn and even assembled a small group of rag tag miscreants, both human and mutants alike. Her other skills were picked up from those who were willing to show her the ropes in turn for a favor, mostly stolen goods, but sometimes revenge murders. It wasn't until her late teenage years did she meet her fraternal twin, Cora, who was also a mutant. The two became nearly inseparable, causing mayhem in their wake and doing as they pleased. Life was good until the discrimination became more than just an annoyance, but a serious threat. They toned down their life styles, and eventually agreed to split paths for a time, until things calmed down. In this way, if one was in trouble, the other was available to assist.

The problem is, it never did calm down, and she hasn't heard from her sister in more than a few months. Jo's current mission is to find her sister, for better or worse. 

Character Goals, Aspirations, & an interpretation of your faction's dogma: Jo's current and main objective is to find her sister, Cora. She tends not to work well with others, but is willing to put that aside and use whatever resources are available to her. Overall, she realizes they are now in the midst of a war, and struggles with putting her own prejudices aside as a Brotherhood sympathizer to come together as one to defeat the Monolith. 

What themes and plots are you hoping to experience in the game: Action, drama and a little romance if it so happens. Plot twists are always welcome. 

Writing Sample: 

The glasses clanked against each other loudly as a bartender brushed by Jo in a back hallway, her eyes landing on Jo with slight confusion. Even from here, the bass from the club vibrated the walls, the pulse echoing through Jo's boots. Dark grey eyes briefly scanned the blonde passing by and just for a moment the mutant thought she would get by without having to talk to anyone unnecessary. 

"You don't belong back here." The bartender was clearly struggling with all the glasses she was trying to restock with.

Jo rolled her obsidian eyes in annoyance. "Oh my god, I was totally looking for the little girls room." The exaggerated valley girl impersonation made Jo want to puke in her mouth a titch, but it was evident that it disarmed the bartender. She was now just another bimbo cluber in her eyes.

"Wrong door, leave here where you came in and make a right, it'll be on your left. You can't miss it."

"On fleek, thanks." Jo's heard the phrase used before. Whether or not she used it correctly was another story.

She exited the hallway, the darkness and strobing lights were jarring, but not nearly as unpleasant as the bass now resonating in her chest. Jo loved music just as much as the next person, but dear lord, the bass was so strong one could barely hear the words to the song. Regardless, Jo found herself bobbing her head to the beats of E by Drunkenmunky as she pushed herself through the sea of writhing bodies. It took her the length of the song to spot her target, a tall gangly man clearly dressed to the nines. Beautiful women surrounded him as he flashed his wealth in a private corner with bottle service in celebration. Wealth that was obtained from looting her sister's place after her disappearance.

Her first reaction was to bum rush the area, dark eyes lightening as the anger began to fester within her. A deep breath, don't give away your position, Jo. Instead she pulled up to a girl who had clearly been over indulging in whatever her choice of poison was. Jo gave the impressionable girl a sob story about the scum up in section 2, how they had been dating for four years and she was planning on surprising her soon to be husband only to find him surrounded by gold digging bimbos. She convinced him to lure him into the women's bathroom, so they could have a private word. The girl bought it, to be fair, Jo could have told her he was Elvis incarnate and she would've bought it. 

The bathroom was cleared of its inhabitants and Jo waited for her unsuspecting victim to enter and it took but mere moments, leaving Jo's imagination run wild as to what exactly that chick said to this dude. It was either creative or he was just that desperate. Either way, the exasperated look on his face when Jo locked the door behind him was satisfying to say the least. She placed her hands on her hip and shook her head disapprovingly. 

"Tsk tsk tsk, Chameleon. I mean, I'm sure Blaze mentioned me. Did you really think you were going to get away with taking her stuff?"

"Sparks...I uh...." He put his long bony hands up in defense. "I only spent like...a third of it. I can get you the rest...I promise."

"Word on the street is you were there, what happened?"

"You..you don't know?" His eyes softened, causing Jo's stomach to drop. Please, don't let him speak the words she was dreading.

"I do, I was just pop quizin' ya..." Silence. "Of course I don't know, why would I be asking?"

Chameleon nearly jumped at her outburst. "Monolith! The Monolith came to collect her."

Shit. Not the best case scenario, but definitely not the worst either. At least there was a chance she was still alive. Jo couldn't help but breath a sigh of relief, until she realized another possible horror. Oye, B's sweet staffordshire terrier. 

"Oye?!"

"I...I don't know. She told him to run and he did."

Another sigh of relief. "Well, today's your lucky day. I was planning on serving you up extra crispy, for hiding like a coward as my sister was taken. But here's the deal: Find Oye, take him back to her place and lay low. I have a few eyes keeping tabs on you in the neighborhood, so don't even think of runnin'. Step out of line and..." Jo slowly raised her hand, her hand just inches from his face. She allowed a small electrical charge to dance around her fingertips in demonstration. "Well, you get the gist."

At those words she turned on her heels to exit, the electronic notes of Better Off Alone by Alice Deejay wafted in from the dance floor.

"Oh wow, that's old school. I LOVE this song!"

Last edited by a moderator:
That's so funny I've been listening to Better off Alone lately! Great character sheet, you're accepted! I love the creative way you've incorporated her powers, and I like that you had the limits on the computer tech stuff. Sounds great and where would you like to start her in the Rp? The jailed team maybe, since we already have the rescue mission started. If you want her to be one of the rescuers instead though we could work it out : )

Users who are viewing this thread