• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Other Ivy's Art Dump

My art journey
  • Things have changed XD
    7AD4E094-75D6-445E-9F05-EB582B1364DD.jpeg
    98692BF5-28C3-4957-9211-453DD6EA2051.jpeg

(Honestly, turn back while you still can- this block of text is cringeworthy.)
    Yes, both of these monstrosities were created by yours truly- and it was because I needed to take my frustrations out on something. Alright, it’s vent time.

I’ve never been too interested in drawing as a child- well, no more than any other kid my age. I still had mandatory art classes all throughout middle school and, during those 8 years, I’ve only ever created two pieces I’ve liked, one being the cringe bucket at the very top. I thought it looked quite amazing back then... yeah, nope.

I started getting really interested in art sometime around October 2014, when I (re)discovered anime. For me, drawing was a healthy method to deal with my bad state of mind at the time. I won’t dwelve too deep into that since I don’t want this to turn into a sob story- all I can say is, drawing was one of the few things that made me feel like there was something good left about me.

Back to present time: for a few months now, I’ve been continuously running headfirst into an “art block”... if that is even the right term to use (spoiler alert: it probably isn’t). No matter what I drew, no matter how many compliments I received from my friends and family, I didn’t like what I created. Loathed would be a good term to describe it. My drawings were “good”- but never “good enough”. My drawings weren’t interesting, they didn’t have a clear focal point, the color scheme was a mess, there wasn’t a good shadow/light play going on, the “muse” was repetitive and overused, the art style was inconsistent- the list could go on and on. The was always a better drawing than mine because there’s always someone better than you and us feeble humans just love putting ourselves down by comparing ourselves to others.

In order to combat this, I’ve decided to do a “draw this again” art challenge with a piece I actually used to like- my brain wouldn’t be able to accept the fact that I had significantly improved otherwise. I mean: the best person to compare my art to was myself. And thus, I ended up with that second drawing.

So, now that’s all said and done... I think this small experiment might have helped me a little. At the very least, I don’t feel like this particular hobby of mine is a “waste of time” anymore. I’m able to accept that while I’m clearly far from a professional artist, my art is a lot better than what it used to be. And that’s all one could ask for. Who knows- maybe some years from now, I’ll do this again and end up with an ever better drawing.

I honestly feel bad for anyone who was brave enough to read through all that, but: if any of my fellow artists are reading this & have encountered a similar problem I honestly recommend doing this challenge- who knows, it may just help you feel better.

Alright, that’s enough talk, I’m out. Till next time stay awesome peeps 😊

Back