Story [Isekai Hell] Ul Dyril & Gunhild Lore Story - "Lonesome Winter"

Femboy

Chaos Incarnate
Roleplay Type(s)
This is an entry for the January 2024 community writing, going to Ul in order to acquire Affinity Frost (E).
The character sheet is here if you want it. Decided to make this into a lore expansion since, I can.

Ul's travels had brought her all the way out to the cold south of the See of Fae. Enough do-good chores and knowing what to say to the right people got them supplied with the clothing to keep warm for their trip into the snow, although she was to somewhat fear it may not lend any defensive usage if something were to go awry. The goal was simple, to utilise the high amounts of mana within the land of the fae particularly within the cold region and to try to get a good feel for bending an affinity to the likes of it with her own mana. The elements would need to be claimed one at a time, and the power of ice sounded both practical and easily doable. Nature and the rest would come with time, but with the large amount of planning she had dropped into it this had to be the simplest and safest bet.

"Alright, this is looking good, perhaps just a little deeper to get... the full experience or something- you know, why am I trying to describe this to myself? I know exactly what I mean" Ul mumbled to themselves as they trekked into the snow on their lonesome, having expected to just be fine and to not want to have to try to trouble someone in coming all the way out just to sit in the cold. It would have still been nice to have someone company, for protection as well as to break the silence. Working alone made things awfully quiet often, and at some point it always grew more unnerving than anything.

The area that Ul scoped out appeared like a nice spot. An opening within a surrounding wooded area, a very gentle snowfall and amidst it a small pool of frozen water. Sitting on a fallen old log adjacent to the frozen waterside, Ul sighed and tried to collect their thoughts in peace so that they could fully concentrate on their own mana control. Slowly pulling her trusty stick out, it served as a catalyst to her magical exploits despite not being visually more than a cool stick.
"Energies of frost and cold, conduct acts of cooperation with me. Nyrael requests for your cooperation for a kingdom, of all life and elements... " Ul calmly asked in both gentle exertion of her mana to try and get a feel for the affinity she desired, as well as what was basically prayer to any deity of the elements who wished to answer the call.

Seconds past. And again, a little more time. Ul was patient when need be, but that didn't stop her from questioning just how long this might take now that she was posed with the scenario. Wondering if walking about the cold place would get things more successful, her thoughts were interrupted by a faint audible disturbance. Hesitant, she took it as a random occurrence until it happened again and again. Snow was being treaded nearby, but how close must they have been? Ul chose not to take chances as she lowered herself beside the log and stared around for any sight of what could be nearby.

A minute or two had past, yet the sound had ceased with nothing in sight. Ul sighed, getting off the ground.
'False alarm, I guess... must be hearing things' she thought to herself, wondering if the lonesome time was taking a bigger toll than she believed until she turned around and immediately stopped herself from walking straight into the titan that was sat right next to her. She, as in the blatant female giant that was watching her, was astoundingly huge. With an overly musclebound body, dark skintone and womanly attributes Ul would have guessed that giants of some regular sort must've been home here. What threw it off was the clearly reptilian features, clad in black scales and strangely enough an extreme amount of white fluff to keep warm. Nervously stepping back, the titan didn't seem to make any sudden movements as it simply sat watching Ul as as if in curiosity.

"N-nice, big thing. You're, very hot but also, I have no idea what you are so, I'll just- leave and I never saw anything, got it? Riiight... " Ul nervously answered as they just avoided falling over after recovering from stumbling over the log. The giant tilted their head as they watched, blue eyes constantly focused until they answered.
"Little smol is lost? Any-manys can gets losties. Is not safes, Gunhild would know. Gunhild has been heresies for... " the giant stopped as if they were trying to count, although complete confusion was visible on their face as they instead just held their arms wide to dictate some amount as if it helped.
"A big times" they added, as Ul just stopped backing away in question at who or what this was supposed to be.
"Uh, you are?.. I-I'm Ul Dyril of Nyrael, lets just... not do anything sudden... whom, is Gunhild exactly? Is she a friend of yours?" Ul answered in hopes to calmly defuse the situation so that she could handle her own desires elsewhere, but the titan had other ideas in mind. The big lizard had rolled her eyes as she seemed a little disappointed about something, before she moved to explain something very clearly.

"Gunhild is Gunhild. Gunhild comes to winty-place to find ICE-CRUNCHIES. Gunhild heards they ice is yummy-munchy. Like, crunchy-yummy thing. Theys are super sneakies though" Gunhild answered as Ul was completely lost.
"Ice... crunchies? W-what, some kind of fruit or vegetable that grows here?" she asked in attempt to understand what was even being said. Since Gunhild was shaking her head, it was probably not.
"Nono, silly billy smol. Ice-crunchies is an ice-cream landy-fish. Theys look like marshmallow, but insides is a munchy-crunchy. Gunhild has been lookings buts they gets away" Gunhild sighed before she had looked at the frozen lake they were beside, enticed by the sight of strange scratches along the ice's surface.
"This's crunchmallow touchies! Smol is not safesies, Gunhild take" Gunhild mumbled as Ul was busy questioning their entire existence.

"S-so what, did I pass out? Am I dead right now, w-which one of us is either on drugs or having a stroke? Do you need help-" Ul asked as they turned their attention to Gunhild, who at this point had picked up the little elf like she was nothing and seated the small girl on her back. With the considerable amount of fluffiness, it was surprisingly cosy, but not what she came for. Although before Ul could properly question anything, Gunhild was already off with her in tow.

-

A long time had passed, with Ul managing to wrangle out a few details about Gunhild's target. Said so-called 'ice-munchies-' or whatever were perhaps some creature formed of magic and ice, that the big girl was trying to eat for some reason. Ul hesitantly agreed to join along and see it through for the possibility that the creature had magical parts or qualities that she could understand the affinity of frost from, as well as the fact Gunhild refused to let her go off on her own as if she was a child.
Until, they had travelled enough to find what they were looking for. The deafening silence was only accompanied by the occasional howls of the wind, and a strange misty veil was created by the local snow and surroundings.
"Is heres. Gunhild knows. This times, Gunhild will kill the monster" Gunhild grumbled. Ul slowly slipped off the back of the giant as they looked around, not seeing anything of note.
"Gunhild, have you actually seen anything or have any proof?" Ul questioned as Gunhild didn't meet their gaze, only keeping watch for something. Then, snow visibly rised and moved on its own. Two mounds of snow that strangely moved and circled the two like sharks. The small elf questioned it, for she had not seen something like this. With how it moved, it didn't feel like it made sense to be a living creature. Then, as she clutched her cool stick tightly, one of the encompassing snow-piles leapt up to target Gunhild as it revealed its true nature. On the outside, it made a body purely of white snow, but it held a visible maw of icy shards as thick teeth and a frozen ribcage inside. It was some sort of spirit or creature born of mana, not a natural beast.

"Gunhild will NOTS fails, NOTS ever agains!" Gunhild contested as they swung their fists for the attacking spirit, which managed to snake and dodge its way around like liquid as it fell back into the floor. Her large size in comparison to Ul meant she was being focused and attacked by both, of which Ul was beginning to doubt her magic would be of use in the situation. Simply trying to avoid the attention of the conflicting spirits against the onyx titan, combat raged in the snow for quite a while until circumstances took place. The spirits could keep going all day, and Gunhild was growing tired from swinging and being consumed by anger over something. As she slowly sighed and slumped onto the ground laying for rest, the spirits circled around in a taunting manner. They were not going for blood, but their maws curled into toothy smirks, huffing out cold breaths akin to laughter. This large beast, Ul had just met, was in need of assistance. Gunhild was a living being, and one who stood to protect and do good despite the odds and their position in which they may be judged for. Ul would not leave them here.

"Hey, get up please? You said to go with you for it'd be safe. You can't just stop here-" Ul tried to wake Gunhild, shaking and shoving at her. But Gunhild did not wake. This couldn't be how it ends, she didn't know how bloodthirsty these spirits could intend to be.
"No. I can't stop here. Getting you up is as much to me as it is to you" Ul mumbled defiantly, trying to wake the beast before the spirits grew tired with their toying.

-

"Gunhild, does this seem like the way? I... I-I wouldn't know, these caves all look the same" a kitsune asked as she looked up to Gunhild, who was completely silent and distracted. Gunhild only hesitated, before wordlessly choosing a path down the tunnel they knew was right. She could tell. The kitsune however, nervously hurried along holding something sealed away within a luxuriously ornate chest. The fox looked at the box, before to Gunhild.
"S-sorry, I... don't know what to say, I couldn't begin to imagine how you feel. W-we're all here for you, you know?" she mentioned, making Gunhild slow to a halt and meeting the kitsune woman's gaze. After a brief moment of silence, Gunhild responded.

"Is okay, Miyuki. Hinha in special place. Gunhild dids bad" Gunhild answered, unable to even look the way of the box. Miyuki noticed this, and gently placed her hand on top of the container.
"Y-you want to see them again? You can take all the time you need until we bury them. You did your best, it wasn't your fault... n-no parent would've seen  that coming... most would feel the same Gunhild" Miyuki answered and asked as the question eventually made Gunhild look to the box in expectation, albeit not a happy expression on her face. The fox understood, and opened the locked container to let her see the contents again. Little Hinha, a little lizard the likes of the one who struggled to look at it, reduced to nothing more than a lifeless body in the chest that was its expensive coffin. Gunhild very gently touched their little claws with the tip of hers, reactively jerking their hand away to avoid doing anything bad.

-

"Come on you big dolt, get up. Nyrael insists and commands, that you wake UP-" Ul spoke aloud as they began aggressively shaking the head of, and kicking at Gunhild, as hard as possible out of desperation. The laughs and smiles of the ice spirits had faded away at this point, and they slowly drew closer with each circle they encompassed around them. The chill in the air even felt sharper and stronger.
"Get, up! You big, scaly musclehead, you are not allowed to die! You brought me here, don't you have friends or family who would prefer you alive? Don't be stupid like this!" Ul angrily announced as one of the spirits had finally chosen to strike fatal blows, although it had not been fast enough.

"Gunhild is NOT STUPID-" the big woman finally announced, struck awake between nightmarish visions and Ul doing and saying anything possible to arouse her out of slumber. Immediately awaking in an aggressive, berserk state caused her to send her fist straight through the maw of the snowy spirit and breaking its teeth and insides in the process. As Gunhild stared down the fallen remains of the shattered visage that failed to kill her, Ul noticed the other lunging from behind.
"Gunhild, turn 180, you have another" Ul warned her, although it seemed noticeable that the big lizard had no idea what that meant. Being bitten by the snow spirit, Gunhild growled in retort and grabbed it before it could dislodge its fangs of ice. What would proceed is a series of corpse mangling and consuming the crushed spirits as Ul tended to the big girl's wounds.

"Smol helps Gunhild... why? Gunhild makes a bad, smol was not safes with Gunhild" Gunhild questioned, having eaten a fair share of ice spirit core being just because. Ul simply laughed to herself softly, and hummed in thought.
"Well, I guess that's what I do. You do something nice and hope they do the same in return. But all I can do is hope... you did good there" Ul spoke as Gunhild only quietly grumbled low growls at the thought of it, not proud of her own moments of weakness as she clearly hesitated over something within her mind. Ul had seen such expression before on someone else, and gently pet Gunhild's head.
"Not everything is great, sometimes things are terrible. But you know, if we didn't have the bad things, then we wouldn't be able to understand what things are good. It's a strange life that things can make you feel such emotions, a gift we mustn't squander at times... " Ul softly spoke, before looking to what remained of the ice spirits. Frozen fragments infused with mana, what was originally in the shape of ribcages and teeth before being broken apart. Wandering over and taking some, she believed they might prove much more useful to attuning her mana to rather than sitting around in the snow all day.

"Gunhild, this seems like a good time for me to start heading home. I gotta take a look at these icy parts to understand and master its magic... " Ul answered, looking to the big beast who appeared unmoving for the moment. Seeing as it didn't get an answer, Ul chose to answer for her.
"It's a trip and a half back, and it could be dangerous. You should come too, it's not okay to be out here by yourself. There's always someone somewhere who cares about you. right?" Ul asked, noticing Gunhild's slow movements to get up. Gunhild answered after a brief delay of thought.
"Some... where. Gunhild, will find them. Somewhere... " Gunhild mumbled before looking to Ul.
"Yes, Gunhilds and little smol should gos somes-the-where. Is... not nice heres for nows".​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back