• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Stonewall Town] (Caelia Barony) – Mayor Trouble

This RP is part of the Isekai Hell setting. Check the links above to learn more about it.

This RP takes place about a month after the events of Treasure in Ruins.

What to expect out of character:
At minimum, the RP will be 2 posts a week (at its likeliest on Saturday/Sunday and Wednesday), but where possible for both parties involved a quicker pace (up to back-to-back posting) can be handled. The RP is intended to last relatively short, less than a month at a quick posting cycle, up to two months at most at a slow posting cycle.

What to expect in character:
With Stonewall's walls and keep repaired, the unofficial mayor of Stonewall Aldwin, is feeling courageous and has started scheming. Meanwhile, the acting mayor from Yemaya, Benjamin, is visiting the capital to ask them for additional aid for the ruined city. The meeting between them has turned some heads and provides both chances at trouble as well as opportunities.

Baroness Regula Caelia, decided to act upon Retili Loxinofican's advice to bring in some mayors into her court, either through handing out writs or through making their positions as vassals official. It's why she tasked Retili with testing both Aldwin and Benjamin during their negotiation regarding additional aid for Yemaya. Retili's role will be to oversee the meeting, observe the mayors, or, in a worst case scenario, step in and take charge of the planning himself.

Barony 1x1's
This RP is a second trial run for an idea I've had for a while, an easy set-up for 1x1 RP's in Caelia barony. More lore on it can be found in this lore thread where new lore will be added.

Barony NPC 1x1 RP's
There are a lot of people (NPC's) in the barony by now. That is not a coincidence. I've been trying to establish a lot of NPC's, not just to flesh out the area and add some flavour, but also to offer the following option: 1x1 RP's with the barony NPC's.

These are intended to be:
1 – Relative short. (Up to two months at most, more likely between 2 weeks and a month).
2 – Easy to jump into. Find an NPC you want to interact with or a goal to achieve that could fit into the Caelia Barony and you'll be hooked up.
3 – Light-hearted. They won't have too much deep lore/plot. Just a PC, an NPC and a common goal to achieve (examples; defeat wolf, craft sword, chat about the weather, learn how to poor tea).

What you stand to gain:
1 – An RP tailored to your liking with flexible pacing (daily at its fastest so long as both sides are able to keep it up, with potential moments of back-to-back posting, weekly at its slowest).
2 – A direct way to achieve a specific goal, such as: Forge a sword. Gain F-rank Adventurer's Guild connection. Learn Etiquette. Spent some time gossiping.
3 – A narrator willing to help you come up with ideas. I like brainstorming if you want to try out something, but don't have something specific yet.

What I stand to gain:
1 – More RP options outside of my own characters.
2 – Fleshing out the barony and its NPC's even more.
3 – Hopefully giving people some short, yet fun RP's.
4 – A few extra points from running a lot of RP's, which I'll likely reinvest in barony assets/companions through my character (baroness) Regula Caelia.

Limits:
1 - There's only so much I can do alone. If too many people show interest, I'll have to create a waiting list or find others to join in on this idea (preferably with NPC's of their own, to ensure NPC's stay somewhat consistent in their behaviour).
2 – Grand goals, deep lore, posting paces longer than weekly or desires for very long-lasting RP's likely won't fit this format.
3 – I'm planning to offer some level quality, but this is also very much a quantity thing. If I somehow offer a life-changing RP that'd be great, but that'd not be the goal with these. The goal is some good and simple fun.

TRIAL RUN 2.0 (WORKING DAYS VERSION)
As a second trial run, this time with my new job also having started, I'm hoping to provide a fun RP, but there may be some hiccups while I'm trying to sort things out both IC and OOC. I'll be checking how much time it takes me to keep posting to see if I can start doing these on a consistent basis first and for most, as well as checking how well and easily ideas come forth to see if I can run these en masse, and finally how well the NPC's integrate to see how much of a solid ground for new stuff they can be. Feedback is appreciated both during and after the RP.

Aldwin's Living Room
Country of Ryken, County of Sadek, Barony of Caelia. Capital Town: Stonewall – Aldwin's House – Living Room
Time: 16:00
fantasy-room-fireplace-hd-wallpaper-preview.jpg
From: HD wallpaper: Fantasy, Room, Fireplace | Wallpaper Flare
Mentions: Retili conman2163 conman2163

It was a bit later in the afternoon. It's been a sunny and bright day, with a gentle breeze and all-around beautiful weather. However, the weather hadn't really affected those in the room. There was a clear bit of tension in the air.

Aldwin
veJ8vPf.png

Aldwin was seated in the chair across from the fireplace. He'd opened the door for his guests Retili and Benjamin with a polite bow and a smile. Afterwards, offering them some of Gwenith's finest tea leaves prepared in a most excellent manner. Even so, he'd spoken nothing other than a few bits of small talk. Your 'how was your trip here?' and 'nice weather, right?' type of polite talk. Nothing serious.

Benjamin
kZC6qdu.jpg

Seated on the couch to Aldwin's left (before the bookshelves/window) was Benjamin. He'd travelled here from Yemaya just today, looking a tad bit weary from the journey. However, he also seemed hesitant. He'd drank from his tea and answered all the small talk with the utmost politeness and etiquette, yet it was clear he wasn't sure how to bring about the bigger questions right now.

Finally, Retili would be there. Wherever and however he deemed fit. With or without his men. He'd gotten his task, now it was up to him to see how to full-fill it. (As this is the first round, let me know if he'd ask any additional questions to Regula about this job and I'll add her reactions in my next round.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Retili Loxinofican
Character Sheet

The scribe sat patiently in the sitting room sipping at his tea. He examined the dynamic between the two mayors (Charismatic Scribe E, 1 post cooldown). It seemed clear to him even on an outside perspective that Aldwin was ambitious for something, though what remained to be seen. IThe other mayor he had met only briefly in Yemaya though he had some sympathy for the man. He clearly cared for his town and it was currently in ruins. Retili thought that perhaps that was the reason the man was here now though he wouldn't know until the meeting truly began in earnest.

The Zentox cut quite a different figure from what Aldwin originally had seen. His black sclera highlighted the change from yellow to red of his irises, and of most note to the man would be the iincrease of physical muscle and the lack of any bulky cloak designed to protect him from the sun. He wore black trousers and a ruby tunic, his dagger held on his hip on a belt of black leather. The light traveling cloak he had worn in had been removed at the door, but the back of it bore the same crest of Regula that had started appearing all over his clothes. Without a house crest of his own he had taken to wearing Regula's as a symbol of his allegiance to her and the power she vested in him. His guards wore her badge on the left side of their chests as well. Two of his riflemen stood at the entrance to the room at rigid attention. He had left the others outside milling about.

Over the past month since his return from the census the Zentox had rarely been seen outside of his room. Aside from a few momentary breaks in the tavern to drink and talk up the owner he had tucked his head down and worked hard to complete a full report from the census. It had only been a summons from Regula that had broken him out of his study. While it was not surprising that she wanted to deal with some of the mayors, it was surprising that she wanted him to do it for her. This was not a task to be taken lightly, any misstep could lead to serious issues between the baroness and the mayors. Still he felt glad that she had shown such confidence in him by way of letting him take on this task.

After finishing his quiet examination he set his tea cup down and spoke. "I see no reason for us not to begin now. Mayor Aldwin, let me begin by thanking you for graciously hosting us in your home. Your hospitality has been most excellent." He turned his head to allow himself to more easily look between them. "As you both know I am here to represent the baroness's interests in the matter. To that end, I would like to begin this meeting. Mayor Benjamin, how goes the rebuilding effort in Yemaya?"

Charismatic Scribe E (Used, On Cooldown 1 post)

Caelia Savant E - Law E, Warfare E, Business F, Academia F, Area Knowledge [Caelia Baron] F - Grade E, 1 post Cooldown - Retili uses his comprehensive knowledge built up through years of study to overcome issues that smooth talking might not otherwise be capable of.

Charismatic Scribe E - Insight E, Perception E, Empathy E, Persuasion E - Grade E, 1 post Cooldown - Using his quick wit and fast mind, Retili talks his way around and through problems that he encounters.

Noble Bearing E - Etiquette E, Law E, Academia F, Persuasion E, Empathy E, Perception E, Insight E, Business F - Grade E, 1 post Cooldown - After some time spent in study, on the road, and in the court of nobles Retili has learned the way and bearing required to be at least adequate in the many skills expected of nobility.

Aldwin's Living Room
Country of Ryken, County of Sadek, Barony of Caelia. Capital Town: Stonewall – Aldwin's House – Living Room
Time: >16:00

Retili's Charismatic Scribe got him a few snippets of information. (From Insight E: ) Aldwin looked like he had a clear idea of what he wanted to happen and how he wanted it to happen. Aldwin also seemed to have the home-field advantage, with them being in his own house. Finally, he'd seem genuinely surprised and perhaps a tad bit in awe upon seeing Retili's changes. Benjamin looked like he too, had a clear goal, but was a lot more unsure on how to achieve it. Benjamin showed a few signs of not being familiar with this place. (From Perception E: ) Aldwin was a refined man, with a certain amount of elegance to everything he did. The way he moved, talked and and acted in general. It all seemed refined. Benjamin clearly had good mannerisms, but there was a rougher side to them, less polished. Both were a bit older, but Benjamin seemed to be the fitter one. (From Empathy E: ) Aldwin seemed fairly certain of himself, having made his plans and ready to use them. Benjamin seemed a little insecure.

Overall, Retili would be able to reach a conclusion as to why Regula had tasked him with this. With Benjamin only being 'acting' mayor and Aldwin's mayor title being mostly self-proclaimed and tolerated at best, Regula's personal presence might officiate them more than they were worth. This was not just Retili's proving ground, but also for the two mayors to prove if they were worthy of being kept around and worthy of the baroness' time and energy.

Aldwin
veJ8vPf.png

“Of course, it is my pleasure to host for people of importance such as yourselves.” (Insight E, the 'people of importance' was purposefully vague). Aldwin spoke with confidence and a smile upon his lips. “I'd have asked a servant to come serve us, but I wasn't sure if mister Benjamin would appreciate such a gesture.” He spoke. Retili's insight was insufficient to get a decent grasp, but his Empathy E showed this had some venom to it. It wasn't a nicety.

Benjamin
kZC6qdu.jpg

Mayor Benjamin seemed to either ignore it or to not even notice, as he decided to address Retili instead. “Of course, thank you sir. I'm afraid I have to report success and misfortune alike. If you'd allow me.” He waited a bit for full approval to start telling his story in full. Upon being granted such, he'd speak up.

“The Adventurer's Guild seems pleased that we asked them for their aid, but their presence in the city has become far bigger than we expected. Not only are we drawing in many rookie adventurers now, even some veterans are coming to try their luck. People believe that the treasure we found was just the beginning and that much more can be unearthed. However, that is the first bad news I have to deliver. We have solid evidence that suggests Michael, the Blue Knight, had sealed some evil underneath the city that might be awoken if people keep digging around through the ruins. The Adventurer's Guild is currently securing the area, but there is an accumulation of mana that has started to spawn monsters happening as we speak. We'd need to comb through and rebuild the city to get rid of these traces and we'd need to discourage new explorations if we wish to ensure that no new evils will be awoken.”

He'd pause for a bit, then he'd continue with the next part of his report. “As a result, the economy in Yemaya has been turned into an adventuring based one. Adventurers need compensation, lodging, tools and other means to continue operating. It's why all of the treasures unearthed tend to flow directly into keeping this operation running and into restoring the city. Even with the vast amount of wealth there, there is little wealth left to share after paying all expenses and aiding the people of Yemaya to rebuild their city. I'd wish to press, with all due respect, of course, that Lady Caelia should not relocate these funds, lest she would anger the population of Yemaya. In fact, I believe we're in need of additional support instead, to ensure this project won't be led astray.”

He'd pause a bit once more, before further explaining himself. “Of course, the churches of Ryke have aided us as well. Now that the cultists are driven away, the worship of the God of Gains and Goddess of Luck are at an all time high. We believe that a whole new generation of adventurers might end up growing up in Yemaya at this rate, worshipping these deities, although this it not necessarily desired by the inhabitants of your city.”

Although it was rude to keep monologuing, he decided to finish his report in full. “The merchant's guild has also increased their activity in the area a lot. They are bringing in logistics, supplies and manpower. Of course, they are chasing their profits as always. Another reason that I must ask for the unearthed funds not to be relocated elsewhere. However, they are making demands that are simple not acceptable. They wish for our people to risk losing what few liveable houses we still have, or to agree to turning Yemaya into an almost permanent site of for-profit adventuring. The latter is why I wish for additional funds, so that we may rely on the merchant guild less and stay more independent.”

The brought him to his closing statement. “Of course, I wanted to discuss this with the Baroness herself, but she suggested to hold this meeting first. I hope that gives an accurate enough detailing of Yemaya's current situation.”

(See this aftermath post we got in the nick of time for more information..)

Retili Loxinofican
Character Sheet

Retili was not certain whether the purposefully vague comment was aimed at himself or Aldwin, but he did not react either way. He gestured for Benjamin to begin his account. Retili made a mental note to rent some sort of office he could host these in from now on. The keep would have been preferable but since it was not repaired he would have to make do. The mention of the Blue Knight was not unexpected. The name brought back the memories of his brief looks at the man, and even him being called to account for his actions. Briefly Retili wondered if he would have been reprimanded by Linneus if the Count had not died in such a tragic manner. He folded his hands as Benjamin finished speaking.

Retili gave the mayor a placating smile. He was certain the Baroness wouldn't be foolish enough to redistribute funds away from the city. It was likely she could put such a revolt down, after all what was left in the city was adventurers and the survivors from the slaughter in the city. The legal right of the baroness would probably be enough to stay the hand of the adventurers guild and the armed forces of the baroness would be enough to remove the gold and deal with the people in the city. The fallout from such a maneuver though would be more than the trouble was worth. The baroness's enemies would certainly use the move as evidence that she was incapable of running the city and see it removed from her power, if not worse.

He studied the figure of Aldwin for only a moment before returning his gaze back to Benjamin. Of the two, Aldwin was the savvy one when it came to politics. His cool demeanor and refined elegance obviously served him well in his efforts. On the other hand Benjamin seemed unsure of himself. Retili decided that if Aldwin had an agenda, he might need to hold the scales in favor of Yemaya just to prevent the ambitious mayor from causing trouble. He smiled, the action showing white teeth that were highlighted by black gums. "Mayor Benjamin, I am impressed by the efforts made by the city in the time since we have visited. I have several questions that are most pressing. You say that you come to ask for money? What would you use these additional funds for? How is it that the Merchant's threaten your housing? Have they violated the rule of law in Yemaya?"

Charismatic Scribe E (Used, On Cooldown 1 post)

Caelia Savant E - Law E, Warfare E, Business F, Academia F, Area Knowledge [Caelia Baron] F - Grade E, 1 post Cooldown - Retili uses his comprehensive knowledge built up through years of study to overcome issues that smooth talking might not otherwise be capable of.

Charismatic Scribe E - Insight E, Perception E, Empathy E, Persuasion E - Grade E, 1 post Cooldown - Using his quick wit and fast mind, Retili talks his way around and through problems that he encounters.

Noble Bearing E - Etiquette E, Law E, Academia F, Persuasion E, Empathy E, Perception E, Insight E, Business F - Grade E, 1 post Cooldown - After some time spent in study, on the road, and in the court of nobles Retili has learned the way and bearing required to be at least adequate in the many skills expected of nobility.

Aldwin's Living Room

Aldwin
veJ8vPf.png

Thanks to the earlier revelations, the moment of studying Aldwin showed him the man looked down upon Benjamin. Clear as day. He believed this story to be utterly foolish.

Benjamin
kZC6qdu.jpg

“Thank you sir. The people of Yemaya, at least the few that remain, would be glad to hear some appreciate our efforts.” He replied to the first part. As for the second, that was a more pressing issue. “I would like those funds to restore the parts of the city that the adventurer's guild ignored. We don't need more shops, more blacksmiths, more taverns, more inns, more stables... we need simple housing, perhaps a bathhouse, farm buildings along the outskirts, a marketplace for everyday goods rather than weapons or unearthed treasures. The merchants are threatening our housing by rebuilding it to their own liking, reshaping the city into their desires. Mostly, however, they want long term payment agreements to a certain status quo or a sizeable chunk of the wealth to be found for helping rebuild. They keep putting profit over people, which may be understandable for them, but will run our city into losing its liveable conditions.”

Aldwin
veJ8vPf.png

“So what?” Aldwin interrupted. “Our baroness is an adventurer herself and a strong and proud warrior on top of that! She'd welcome the new activity, wouldn't she? Besides, having such a place of commerce would be ideal. It's also train the future heroes of our country right here, on our doorstep! We'd have excellent relations with the Merchant's Guild and the Adventurer's Guild at the cost of only a few hundred stubborn fools! Surely, mister Loxinofican, you realised the benefits of such an option, have you not?”

Last edited:
Retili Loxinofican
Character Sheet

Retili kept his hands folded in front of him quietly as he listened to first Benjamin, then Aldwin speak once again. He considered the words of Benjamin. Aldwin however was also right. The idea of having the training of young new adventurers taking place right within the city of Yemaya long term would be a boon to the barony. He fixed his eyes on Aldwin however for the moment. He gave him a polite smile. "Mayor Aldwin, I would like to gently remind you that my title is Advisor, especially when acting in an official capacity in the service of the Baroness Caelia. Please address me as Advisor or Master Loxinofican so that we may remain professional in this conversation." He turned his head back to Benjamin. "You are quite correct in that Yemaya needs housing. I have seen the state of the city. If the merchant's guild truly is acting as a roadblock to progress as you say then they will be dealt with swiftly. However..." He turned a look on Aldwin. "Mayor Aldwin, you seem to have a strong opinion on the matter. Perhaps you would have a proposal that would both protect the interests of the townsfolk and satisfy the Merchant guild and Adventurers guild?" (Ability used, Noble Bearing E, Cooldown 1 post)

Noble Bearing E (Used, On Cooldown 1 post)

Aldwin's Living Room

Aldwin
veJ8vPf.png

“As you wish, Advisor.” He replied, with a smile that might not be entirely convincing. Either way, his smile seemed more genuine after the latter suggestion. “Of course not, Advisor. I am not a miracle-worker. We could relocate them to Stonewall, Sootspire or Kirkwall. Give them some money to move, perhaps, but in the end, those that remain are stubborn and proud. They won't want anything short of a restoration of their city to its former glory, a goal that is simply unattainable right now. It's why I'd suggest we look at the bigger picture and chose what benefits the barony the most, working with the Merchant Guild and Adventurer's Guild and ignoring the few troublemakers that remain.”

Benjamin
kZC6qdu.jpg

“Permission to speak?” He'd ask Retili with a sense of urgency in his voice. Should he be granted such, he'd continue. “Even if their numbers are small, these people lived their all their lives and stayed there through thick and thin. Their ancestors build this city with their own hands and they've helped raise it as they themselves were raised. To simply set them aside would be beyond cold, it'd be inhumane. I'd also beg to differ that Yemaya can't be restored to its former glory. It might not be an easy road, but I believe it will be do-able.”

Retili Loxinofican
Character Sheet

Retili shook his head at the proposal from Aldwin and allowed "I will be frank Mayor Aldwin. The Baroness will never accept any proposal that includes leaving her own people behind. While I agree that repairs of the City will take time I cannot approve a plan that will run contrary to the interests of the citizens of the barony. Aside from that, I propose a different path." Retili looked to the Mayor of Yemaya and spoke easily. "How much free land is on the outskirts of Yemaya?" Retili thought he might have an agreeable solution to the problem set before him by the pair of mayors.

Aldwin's Living Room

Benjamin
kZC6qdu.jpg

A moment of silence. “I'm sorry Advisor, I'm afraid I'm unaware.” He had to admit it, he was still relatively new in Yemaya and had only focussed on keeping things afloat. Sure, he knew the land outside of Yemaya wasn't inhabitat, but how much of it could be used, which was likely the reason behind the question, was unknown to him.

Aldwin
veJ8vPf.png

A smirk displayed on Aldwin's lips. “A lot of usable land. The land to the south and west used to be agricultural, to help feed the city. The land to the north and east was more rock-filled, used for shepherding or simply left unattended. The terrain to the north might be a bit rough, the terrain to the south is rather muddy, but with some effort, both could be used for expansion.” Aldwin was clearly satisfied with himself.

Retili Loxinofican
Character Sheet

Retili did not exactly like the smug smirk on Aldwin's lips, but he said nothing and only nodded. His face was a mask of calm. "It is alright Mayor, you understandably have had your hands full with the reconstruction efforts and have little time to deal with minor administrative duties. Thankfully Mayor Aldwin seems to have an extensive knowledge of the area." He paused for a moment to collect his thoughts. "Mayor Benjamin, I would like you to deflect the merchant guilds for the moment. I will have an official letter sent back with you informing them that they must come speak with the Baroness regarding any official rights in the barony. I will speak on the matter further with the Baroness. We will work to find someway to revive your city and protect the livelihoods of the inhabitants. For now I will table any discussions on the matters of the issues with the adventurers and merchants guilds. Was there anything else that should be brought to my attention?"

Aldwin's Living Room

Benjamin
kZC6qdu.jpg

“Thank you for your understanding.” He politely replied.

Aldwin
veJ8vPf.png

Aldwin interrupted. “With all due respect, Advisor. I believe it is not just his business. Mister Benjamin here used to work as a combat butler. He might know some things, and I certainly respect his manners and devotion, but he is born to serve, not to lead. He seems to lack the knowledge to govern.” Aldwin stated in no unclear terms, finally going full on the offensive.

Benjamin
kZC6qdu.jpg

“I am merely fulfilling the role I fell into to the best of my extend. The people needed a leader, I was the one most suited to become one.” He replied, simply yet firmly. “Of course, I wished to take it up with the baroness myself as well, but will gladly leave it you. I am truly glad you wish to help me work to revive the city and protect the people, rather than to sell it out to the guilds.”

He was silent for a bit, then took a deep breath. “However, with all due respect, I believe mister Aldwin is unsuited for his duties. Whilst he may have knowledge, as a mayor we should serve the people and our baron, not scheme for our own fame and gain. I may be inexperienced, but I do believe I'm at least working towards the right goals. Mister Aldwin has shown no such thing.”

Aldwin
veJ8vPf.png

Aldwin smiled it off. “You merely fail to see the bigger picture, a common flaw among the inexperienced. I'm sure the Advisor knows as much.” He replied smoothly, but with a trace of poison in his words. “Although I believe I can speak for the both of us on one thing, namely that we'd both wish for official recognition from the Baroness in our duties. Our current questionable status is hampering our ability to act, so I'd wish to ask you to recommend my abilities to the baroness.”

Benjamin remained polite, but there was a certain glare in his eyes. “Likewise, I wish to ask for you to request the baroness to at least consider officiating my position as mayor. It might give me more leverage in holding off the guilds, at least momentarily.”

Retili Loxinofican
Character Sheet

He nodded to each in turn. Of course they both wanted legitimacy. Retili for his part felt that while Benjamin could be a good choice he was certainly new. Possibly it would be a good idea to have what amounted to a puppet in charge of Yemaya. However it could also hamper the rebuilding effort of the city to continue having him in charge. As far as Aldwin was concerned though Retili had no doubts that his ambition could easily become a problem for the baroness if not kept in check, although he was clearly competent enough to skillfully run his position. For the moment however he made no decisions. "I will speak to the baroness about this matter as well. She has been caught up with setting up in her new position but I am certain that these problems will merit her personal attention as soon as she can spare it." He turned his head to Mayor Aldwin. "Now, Mayor Aldwin, I have heard about Yemaya but I think I would like to hear about the status of your own town. How are things going in your own opinion in Stonewall?" It was true that they lived in the town, but it would do well to hear anything that could have been missed in the bustle of managing the Barony.

Aldwin's Living Room

Both mayors seemed somewhat disappointed by Retili's cleverly chosen neutrality.

Aldwin
veJ8vPf.png

“Of course, I shall look forwards to it.” Aldwin was the first to politely reply. As for the question he was asked, the smirked. “As you may be aware, Advisor, a lot of the town's projects are handed over to Advisor Steelhaven's supervision. As such, my own power to better the situation is limited, especially combined with the unofficial nature of my current status.” He clearly wanted to stress that part.

“As for the status of Stonewall, I'd say nothing much changed. We've yet to see any significant changes to affect our economy, safety or well-being. The biggest events were likely the short boom in duelling, which we luckily managed to quell by now, as well as that travelling chef making food for a while in the Keg.”

Benjamin
kZC6qdu.jpg

“If I might ask, Advisor.” He started, awaiting for a 'go-ahead' before he'd continue. “What seem to be the long-term goals of the baroness and those that advise her, such as yourself?” His question would seem rather honest.

Retili Loxinofican
Character Sheet

Retili smirked at the mention of dueling. The woman who was responsible was at least earnest. That much could be said for her. "Guard Ethel is an interesting character. I am surprised that she has eased up on her tendency to challenge all she meets." His tone was wrought with amusement as he replied to the Mayor, sidestepping the obvious remark about the situation in stonewall neatly. He turned to Benjamin. He analyzed the man trying to understand just why he was asking (Skill Used: Charismatic Scribe E). He also took a moment to analyze Aldwin's reaction to the question. Keeping a careful eye on both of them to see how they reacted, he spoke. "My goal is simply to serve the Ryke, in whatever capacity I may, even as a lowly advisor to the Baroness of Caelia. The Baroness seems to have her own ambitions and I cannot speak with authority on those." Retili was obviously purposefully vague about his interests in the region. Next he decided to play his hand a little to see their reactions. "From what I understand however she is eager to secure her power base with loyal and competent vassals."

Aldwin's Living Room

Aldwin
veJ8vPf.png

“We will have to see how long it lasts.” He replied with regards to Ethel, as he wasn't sure how long she'd stay docile.

Benjamin
kZC6qdu.jpg

As for what Benjamin was asking... Empathy E suggested he was genuinely curious. There didn't seem to be any ill will behind the question, nor alternative motives. Perception E suggested he was perhaps fairly eager to get an answer, ever so slightly seated more to the edge of his seat. Insight E told him the most, as there was a tad bit of concern about the unclarity of direction behind the question. This man had a fairly strong (but tempered by politeness) desire to have grander vision to strive towards.

Aldwin's reaction to the question was somewhat similar. Empathy E suggested he was a tad bit excited by the question being raised, although Perception E showed he quickly hid it with practices politeness and etiquette. Insight E, however, showed there was a glint of eagerness to use whatever information he might obtain from this to its fullest, for better or worse. He was probably more eager for the answer than the person who'd actually asked the question.

When Retili replied, both were a tad bit disappointed. They'd likely hoped for a little more, perhaps even as to Retili's personal ambitions, but both also seemed to understood this type of answer well enough. However, Benjamin did ask a follow-up question. “You wish to serve Ryke? There was some surprise in his voice, hearing Retili claim a desire to serve those who'd killed his former lord. “My apologies, I was under the presumption that your relation to Ryke's authority would be less willing after what occurred.” His questions and surprise were genuine, therefore not all that politically safe, per chance. Aldwin clearly noticed Benjamin's screw-up, seemingly looking forwards to Retili's reaction.

As for his mention of vassals, Aldwin was the first to reply. “I'd be more than willing to serve her, should she deem it worth officiating my title as mayor.” A very clear 'this for that' type of deal, but perhaps nothing too unreasonable. Whether he was having any secondary motives or was truthful, however, was not entirely clear to Retili. His practised smile and etiquette didn't give a lot away in times like these, when he was prepared to answer.

“Right now, my first and foremost task is aiding the people of Yemaya, as I've taken it upon myself to lead them. Should the lady allow me to do so as her vassal, I would be glad to accept the title, but my current loyalty lies with the people of Yemaya first and foremost.” He replied, less political, yet more honest sounding in nature.

Retili Loxinofican
Character Sheet

Retili sat back in his chair, his hands now folded in his lap. Their reactions only reaffirmed Retili's earlier impressions of the pair. They could both be potentially useful to have in charge of their respective towns. The fumble that was Benjamin's words wasn't to be ignored however. Retili's gaze turned from pleasant to cold and sharp as he gazed at Benjamin for a moment. His tone was frosty when he spoke and the light almost seemed to shift in the room to highlight the angry black scar on his face framed by the pair of crimson eyes. "Lord Light's death was regrettable and preventable. However, it is my understanding that he largely brought it upon himself with how he first built up his regime and then threw himself upon the mercy of the courts. I do not agree with the decision to execute Lord Light but that does not make me any less the servant of the Ryke." He bit off the last word with a callous tone. It was VERY clear to anyone with any inkling of how to read a person that this was not a conversation he wanted to continue. Nor did he stick around long enough to do so in any case. "Gentlemen, as it seems we have reached the end of our business I will bid you good day. I will bring these matters to the Baroness. Mayor Aldwin I will once again thank you for your hospitality." Retili stood and left the room. The pair of guards who stood at the door falling into step behind him as he passed.

Aldwin's Living Room

Retili's words didn't fall on deaf ears. Benjamin and Aldwin were both wise enough not to question further, even though it seemed like they did have some things they'd otherwise wanted answered. Either way, Benjamin stood up to leave as well, after Retili. Aldwin just gave them a polite 'goodbye' as he opened the door for them. Although nothing concrete was discussed, Retili had gotten a better impression of the two mayors and they, in turn, a bit more respect for Retili. Perhaps, in the near future, a more concrete plan could be made on whether or not to officiate their positions and on how to best utilise their talents.

The End

Narrator standing = A from multiple A-grade characters. Bonus worth = 42 points.

Title: [Intermediary] – Character has served as a middle-man between two disagreeing parties. They're likely to be asked to solve issues between parties again in the future.

Skills: [Insight] E => D (7 points) & [Persuasion] E => D (7 points) from successfully getting a grasp on the two mayors and negotiating with them.

ISEKAI HELL GRADE

Rewards
Elvario - 7 Points to any character

Retili - 14 Points
  • Acquired Optional title[Intermediary] – Character has served as a middle-man between two disagreeing parties. They're likely to be asked to solve issues between parties again in the future.
  • Acquired Skill Insight D (Add seven points to earned and spent)
  • Acquired Skill Persuasion D (Add seven points to earned and spent)

mentions: conman2163 conman2163 Elvario Elvario

Users who are viewing this thread

Back