• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

[Ryken City] A Lesson in Manners?

This RP takes place in the world of Isekai Hell. Speak to Novama Novama if you'd like to join!

Goals for this RP: Amelia : obtaining Etiquette skill

This RP follows after the happenings of the RP : New Blood of House Driscol.

Time: Early morning

natcha-ngamtweerat-160506598-298185001743015-1973961869433606332-n.jpg

As the sun rise once again graced the countryside and the city of Ryke it was business as usual for everyone, including nobility. It was during this time that Amelia Driscol still slept soundly. Perhaps even a but too deeply as she'd been sleeping through her servants knocking on her door. "Lady Amelia! Please! It's time to get up!" A muffled voice said outside her door as the neko barely stirred with a slight purr and groan as she seemed to bury herself further into the soft and cozy bed.

Soon enough the master of keys was called, opening up the door and allowing all manner of servants with various roles pouring into the dark room. One servant opened the courtains, while another filled the tub with water, and another picked out her clothes. Soon they'd all stand around the bed whilst the leader among them poked at the neko. "M'lady!" She called, before finally shaking her awake.

The neko would open her eyes startled and cover herself with the blanket as they all seemed to try to pull off of her. "Eek! H-hey! W-what gives?!" She shouted.

"It's time to get up and get you to your meeting this morning!"

Amelia clutched to her blanket as she squinted with the sun blaring in her face, which eventually made her give up. "Ugh.. fine! Stop being so pushy!" Amelia protested as she sat up on the bed, rubbing her eyes and scratching her tail.

"M'lady!" The servant insisted, "You're late, your coach is right outside to take your to get fitted into more appropriate attire."

Amelia's ears perked up, "Appropriate attire? What does that mean? My clothes are just fine."

"They're unacceptable for these courts, you're a noble of house Driscol, and one should look the part should you make a difference in the lives of those who place their trust in you."

Amelia sighed, "Right." She replied as she started towards the tub. "I suppose this is a small price to pay for all the luxury right?" She asked as she looked at the steaming water, sniffing it a bit before her servants hands would push her in.

"NYYYYAAAAAA!!!!!"

1ef5b802d3a4ff637ed44c40cd6ec263.jpg

Once bathed and better clothed, Amelia would get rushed to the carriage coach outside the door as servants brushed her hair, sprayed all manner of fragrances on her and uncurled her cuffs, then another placed the ring she received from Johnathan Driscol to symbolize her status on her finger.

Before entering the carriage the neko would pause as she remembered those from the night before, "I'm assuming you two are coming to see me embarrass myself as I get fitted into all manner of strange clothes?" She said almost jokingly with a hint of pessimism.

An Junliang and Annabelle would follow after her into the coach, the driver calling out to the horses before they started their familiar trot into the city.

"I thought being nobility would be.. different." She said as she rested her head on her arm on the coaches window. She was kind of slouching, perhaps not very telling of a noble. The nekos eyes would look outside for a while before looking back at the other two. "I seem to have a problem." She said admittedly, "Im not quite familiar with this sort of.. upper class way of life." She sighed. "Would it be some sort of violation if I asked you two to teach me?"

Last edited:
junliangs.png

An Junliang was standing still outside the carriage, arms folded into his sleeves, as he awaited his master. “What do you think that scream just now was about?” he asks the maid beside him, a playful smile gently tugging at his lips. “A nightmare?” A small moment passes in silence, and his expression returns to a more serious one. “At any rate,” he continues, “our lady is running quite late. I hope she doesn’t intend to skip the meeting.”

It isn’t much longer before the lady in question, Amelia Driscol, makes her way outside, flanked by the servants who had busied themselves attending to her just a few minutes prior. Junliang bows his head in deference as she enters the carriage coach, and then follows her inside, sitting next to one of the coach windows. “You’re suggesting I watch you change? That’s too forward for me, I’m afraid. I’ll make do with hearing about it from Annabelle later.”

As the carriage moves to its next destination, An Junliang quietly stares out at the scenery moving before him. He turns to Amelia when she starts speaking again, fixing her with an appraising look. He sighs and turns his head to the window once more, a sympathetic smile settling on his face. “I understand. You thought coming here and claiming what’s yours would give more power and control over your life, but it was instead stripped away by rules and expectations. Right?

The first thing you should know is this: all these rules about how you should dress and how you conduct yourself, their only purpose is to keep the common person out, to manufacture reasons to discredit them when no other reason exists. It’s all to keep people like us away. There’s not a single noble thing about power or those who wield it. If they learn how, anyone can be just like them.”

It had been a short amount of time that Annabelle had prepared herself to meet up with Amelia for the day, waiting near the carriage in order to provide her aid. She wasn't entirely certain about the presence of An beside her, a majority of it still coming from how such a man still managed to know who she was when they initially met, but as she maintained her heavy amounts of patience to others, she would suddenly notice that attention was turned to her by her fellow servant. Turning her head to An, she'd answer, perking her head up at the audible screaming coming from within.

That catlike scream alone was enough to perk up Annabelle's facial expression, worry beginning to pepper her face. "Hopefully nothing dangerous... I wish not to assume the worst but perhaps she got herself into a fight?" She paused for a second, before her mind flashed back to Amelia's sudden appearance in the banquet she worked for, and her first run in with Amelia. "... No. I highly doubt it'd be a fight. My apologies, I may have been overthinking it, but the safety of Amelia still worries for me... but I digress. Oh! Here she is now!"

As Amelia finally managed to approach the carriage coach after a clear display of how unfamiliar she was with the life of a noblewoman, it was there that she'd obviously discover Annabelle standing in front of their shared ride, the dedicated maid gently resting her hands on her apron as she bowed to her superior. "Good morning, Lady Driscol! Good heavens, you're alright... The coach is prepared and ready to whisk us away to further aid your sense of fashion. I've already received the news of what we'll be doing today and I've been tasked to accompany you, if it is okay with you, Lady Driscol."

Quite obviously, being the person that she was tasked to become a servant for, Amelia had now been dubbed with the title of 'Lady' courtesy of Annabelle. She'd weave her way into the carriage, placing herself onto her seat before turning her head over to the neatly dressed beastkin with a sweet smile.

"Might I say, you look exceedingly well-dressed today. But that's not all, I'm sure you'll find something more your style once we get you a more appropriate outfit for a Lady." She'd happily respond, scanning Amelia from top to bottom in clear approval and interest. "And I will recommend... that you don't let this get you down. Wearing outfits like these do take some time to get used to. If anything, it took me quite some time before I could run, let alone fight, in this uniform and footwear. For a woman such as yourself, I'm certain you'll grow accustomed to wearing such wonderous outfits faster than even I. After all, you have us to assist you. It's my duty let alone the reason I was hired to aid you in your noble affairs, so chin up! You're not alone."

1ef5b802d3a4ff637ed44c40cd6ec263.jpg

Screenshot_20231128-220118~2.png

Amelia would glance at An Junliang, he was rather sharp and surgical in how he chose his words. Amelia would chuckle nervously scratching the back of her head a bit at how her words were being taken, "You're right, too forward.." the beastkin repeated. "..I'm never up this early, I'm not at my best." She said, attempting to correct any potential misunderstanding. Lucky for her, An continued as usual.

Then turning to Annabelle, her ears twitched with the amount of politeness and taken a bit aback at how seemingly well meaning she appeared to behave and speak. "Am I okay?- I mean, yes of course! I'd be glad if you came, I.. well.." Amelia glanced at the servants who seemed to have very urgent and insisting looks on their faces. "..I'll tell you about it on the way." She finally replied to Annabelle.

Once in the carriage, Amelia would listen intently at Annabelle for a moment after she responded, then towards An Junliang, nodding in agreement. "Yes.. that's exactly it. She replied as she looked back out of her window. Wondering just how much of herself she'd have to give up to take on this grueling task of leadership. It was quite the sudden change, but the more she thought of giving up and heading back to her village, the more the feeling of overcoming this challenge took hold. Still referring to An she began, "This.. new path is confusing, but yet, strangely so very clear.. I don't intend to change the world, I don't even care to be loved by everyone. Power? Truly, I just never want to worry about money ever again.." She'd move the bulk of her dress to one side then the other, then back again as she searched for the right words. "..but I must say.. I hope I don't let those who believe in me down." She instantly thought of Johnathan, and the two infront of her. "I hope that makes sense?" She said with a nervous smile.

Onto more mundane matters however Amelia turned to Annabelle, then pointing to her shoes she raised an eye brow, "How do you walk in those? They seem.. stiff." She said with concern but clearly impressed in the fledgling maid. The slippers she had on herself weren't exactly the most comfortable either, Amelia would constantly fidget at her ankles as well.

"I suppose you're right about one thing.." Amelia began as she took her slippers off, "..there's no need to worry if I have you two helping me." Extending her legs forward she'd lean her bare feet into the seat Infront of her. "Does it matter if I keep up the formalities with you two? You don't mind right?" Her ears drooped some, "Right?" She wiggled her toes a bit.

As the horse pulled carriage made its way through the wealthy sector of the capitol city, various food like fragrances wafted through the air, the paper boy passed around the usual parchments courtesy of the newly established printing press. The vibrancy of the wealth of Ryke could be felt shine through like an encrusted precious stone , artists, nobles, court musicians, court mages, squires, various craftsman, jewelers and vendors from all around began business for yet another day. The poverty of the world outside this place was staved off by the elite guard, the crowning jewel of the Ryken Military. The carriage would then stop at a checkpoint.

Royal_Guard_Fantasy.jpg

"Halt!" Said the stern guard through his feathered helm. The driver exchanged some words with the man before looking in through the carriage window. His eyes pierced those within, "As of late there have been a series of robberies. We are looking for this man.." the guard would produce a parchment with the face of a bearded man, "..Duncan Beardsley, most commonly known as "Bear" was last seen at a jewelers store. Stole every last piece of gem with some strange magic. If any of you know of any information that might lead to his capture, would be rewarded handsomely."

Amelia would tilt her head taking the parchment in her hands, "Hm. No, I don't believe I've ever seen such a man, I'm on my way to my seamstresses shop, I'm afraid I'm running late as well.. could you be so kind and let us through?"

"Yes, m'lady, forgive the delay. Just following orders."

Once through the checkpoint, the carriage would soon come to another stop, this time at the intended destination. The driver would open the door and allow the passengers out. "M'lady Amelia, Seamstress Elizabeth's shop. Im told to wait here until you're ready."

junliangs.png

“For money, huh? That almost makes it sound like you sold your own life away, but I understand.” Junliang leans his body against the frame of the carriage, resting his head against his shoulder and closing his eyes. His smile takes on a certain ambivalence as he continues. “Everyone that lives pays for the right. The difference between then and now is that you pay with your freedom instead of your wallet. If you were seen looking as I do right now, you might be called slovenly or undignified. The same would happen if you were to eat with the wrong fork, or dress inappropriately. Even here, most aren’t truly free to live as they please.”

He sits back up and turns to look out the window again. “But you don’t need to worry about all that with us. At least with us, you should be able to act freely. The more you wear a mask, the more it becomes stuck to your face.” The carriage starts to slow down, rolling to a stop at the checkpoint. Junliang passively observes the stern-sounding guard as he has his exchange with Amelia, and calls out as the guard starts to step away. “Wait. May we have that poster? If we’re doing business in the area, it’s best to keep an eye out, right?”

"So such is the reason why you've decided to continue on, Lady Driscol... well, I can't say that I disapprove of it." It was at that moment that Amelia's loyal maid widened her eyes, realizing that she had essentially implied that she disagreed with the words of her master. Looking a little hesitant for her actions, she quickly apologized. "Oh! But pardon me! There is absolutely nothing wrong about the idea of having financial stability in one's life. Comfort is the desire of many... but the idea of having it as a goal seems to be rather... strange."

Annabelle took a deep breath after An worked on his own personal speech towards Amelia, before she continued with her own.

"As An has stated, there are things we need to uphold, whether they're of the financial sort, or cultural standards that have been thrusted upon us if we're to live. But now that you have access to the funding in order to live a pleasant life... what will you do now? What does your heart desire? With the money you can now live... but what will you live for?"

A quiet sigh escaped the maid's mouth. She wished to continue on, but judging by the nervous tone of Amelia's voice, it was clear that she wanted to change the subject. She was in no position to take charge.

Noting the sudden question that was thrown her way, Annabelle would then look down to her footwear, frowning in the process. A well-maintained pair of brown strap-on shoes, adorned with a thick flower-shaped buckle fastening the strap to the body of the shoe. They barely had any semblance of a scuff or even a scratch, yet they didn't seem to be new. Much like any other piece of Annabelle's outfit, she had meticulously taken care of her appearance, with not a single piece of clothing creased, or a strand of her blonde hair out of place.

"They are a little stiff. But for as long as I remember, I'm used to wearing these shoes. I fail to know how it happened... but they just feel like they're meant for me. I don't recall any prior training or even how I got shoes like these in the first place. But I digress."

Her face bore some surprise as Amelia's unladylike conduct revealed itself a little more, what with her exposing her feet and whatnot. Nevertheless, the maid remained as dutiful as ever, answering when spoken to.

"... I suppose you may remove formalities when around me, but I would still recommend that you do so under the correct privacy. I will still insist on referring to you by your title, Lady Driscol. It's only appropriate."

Screenshot_20231128-220118~2.png

Amelia pouted a bit at An Junliangs comment, "Well, I suppose that's kind of true.. my life, however wasn't worth as much in my past as it is now. Can you.. blame me?" The neko noble shrugged and fluttered her eyelashes in jest. Amelia had never experienced having anyone under her employment. Even though the two in the carriage were appointed to her, she still couldn't seem to shake the personable and openness of the non noble populace. A detail that An brought up quite animatedly, "Freedom?" Amelia replied, "I.. well.. never had any freedom to begin with, you see, all I ever did was work for others at least now I work for myself." She sighed anxiously however, "Well.. sorta." She then corrected,

It was then that the carriage arrived at the checkpoint and halted the vehicle. After the briefing on the current urgent news by the guard, An Junliang then stopped the guard in his tracks before the carriage could continue. "Hm?" The guard grunted in question at the council, then gave him the poster of the suspects face. The man was light skinned, middle aged, a full beard and a strange amulet around his neck. The guard then repeated what he said earlier, "Any information that would lead to his capture would be compensated generously."
Amelia would turn to An, "What, are you taking up the life of a bounty hunter?" She said jokingly, "I.. sort of.. kind of need you, you know?" The neko chuckled as the guards nose twitched.

When the carriage finally departed, the familiar sights could be seen once again through their window. Nearly at their destination.
Turning towards Annabelle, Amelia listened intently and clicked her tongue at her correction. "Hey, hey, don't be so hard on yourself. I must say I appreciate the honesty.." A sigh as her feline features darkened, "..now that I think of it, money and riches was always quite the pathetic goal. When you have nothing, all you wish you had was money to get by yet another day. But now.." her eyes fixed upon the maid, "..now that I have it all, the words.. taste different. I suppose I must change my course, perhaps this goal that Johnathan Driscol will be where my attention fixates."

After breaking character for a few moments, taking her shoes off and pressing the threshold of formal noble behaviour Amelia collected herself, "Alright, alright." She said with a grin, "Let me try this 'being a noble' thing." Amelia would make sure her dress was appropriately divided on each side of her seat, slippers back on, fixed her hair only a bit as to not mess it up further, cleared her throat and attempted a solemn demeanor. Her eyes narrowed pridefully and she looked towards Anabelle. "Anabelle.." she said slowly, "..do I aspire fear.. or trust?" Amelia simply asked the first thing that came to mind as her ringed hand lay atop of her other hand at her lap.

It was then that carriage had arrived, the driver announcing their arrival all the same opened the door and extended his hand towards the noble neko.

Amelia looked at the driver's hand however, albeit confused but soon an expression of clarity would illuminate her features. "Uhm.. hello! I'm Amelia!" Amelia said as she shook the man's hand. Upon noticing an astonished expression on the driver's face she suddenly frowned and looked back at Anabelle, "I.. did something wrong just now didn't i?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back