Interest Check: Warhammer Fantasy Campaign

Lord of Chaos

Elder Member
Supporter
I have tried to run wargame campaigns in the past, and they tend to fall apart due to lack of interest or players burning out after playing 2-3 battles every week. Here, I am proposing an alternative: an actual RPG-style campaign using the warhammer fantasy battle rules. Players will control a special character on the battlefield, as well as a small army that will grow in number and power as the game progresses. I will be the DM, and will set up a storyline and story battles. The players will all be on the same side, and treated as being from the same force. Players would likely be restricted to Forces of Order (High Elves, Wood Elves, Empire, Dwarfs, Lizardmen, Bretonnia), but a Destruction game is possible as well.

Basically, what I want to know is if there are about three players (no more than four) willing to play a scaling wargame campaign that meets once a week, likely to last a few months? I would be willing to teach and provide books for people.

Tuesday or Sunday, unless any of the games I'm currently in die out. Tuesday at 6PM, Sunday at 3PM. All times in Central

I'm not in, but I really do like the idea!

Out of curiosity, you planning on using any of the material from the border prince's/bretonnia (I think the second one was set around there...) campaigns?

The General's compendium I believe was the first one, the second one was in a white dwarf I think. I know I saved the maps, I probably got that particular WD too so long as I didn't toss it out in the big clean up.

Edit: Just checked, border princes is in the compendium.

Not sure if this'll help either, but I found this: http://thebovineoverlord.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/updating-the-border-princes-for-8th-edition/

As for the bretonnia one...it might have been lustria? I can't remember honestly. It's been for freakin' ever. It didn't really introduce anything new, just a new map and new locations...I think.

It's not in person, it's using some sort of online tabletop for the miniatures. I use Maptools for 40k, but that doesn't work for fantasy

Wheeling. In Fantasy, nearly all units are part of a formation. If that formation wishes to turn while moving, it must pivot on one of its vertices. It's easy to do in person, but maptools just can't handle that sort of thing with any ease. I have found a website that should work, although it's a bit basic. http://www.universalbattle.com/

screen2.jpg

[QUOTE="Thief of Words]Hm...mebbe Lizardmen. 'Cause dinosaurs.

[/QUOTE]
CORRECTION!

Dinosaurs RIDING dinosaurs!

Okay, I've decided to actually run with this. I'm looking for 2-4 players for Forces of Order. The game will be on tuesdays at 6pm Central. I have mechanics designed for the game, and a storyline hopefully worth running. Anyone who wants a spot or has any questions can let me know

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to join. I will however require a primer on the differences, since the only factions largely unchanged are forces of Ruin / Destruction / Not-Order.

Cool. Here's the intro fiction: Chaos comes in cycles, and Order must rise to meet it, but sometimes the cycles are long. It has been nearly one hundred years since Archaon's invasion in the Storm of Chaos, but Chaos has finally come again. A new Everchosen arose in the north and united the fractured Norse clans, leading a massive horde south to the Empire. Once more, the forces of Order gathered to throw them back, but something strange occurred. In the first true battle of the war, the Everchosen was slain. The norse tribes were scattered, Chaos fell apart once more, and the alliance was left in peace. However, some of the loremasters of the world remain concerned. This was to be a great conflict that would reshape the Empire, but instead it was a minor incursion. Even as the alliance of Order disperses back to their homelands, a small group of heroes meets and decides to investigate further. If something mysterious is afoot, the world must be warned.

Factions of Order:

High Elves: An elite, fairly mobile army. Their units are frail, and often rather expensive, but are among the best at what they do. They are among the most powerful Magic using forces in the game, and their cavalry is extremely fast. They always strike first in combat and often get rerolls to hit. Their ranged power is reliable, but they lack the heavy artillery of other forces. Their biggest weakness is a general lack of armor and toughness: if they get hit, they go down.

Empire: Extremely versatile, though lacking in true elite soldiers. The Empire has cheap infantry that can fill a variety of roles and support each other, has good mages, has access to powerful artillery and their cavalry hits very hard. Their weakness is a lack of specialty: anything they can do, someone else does a little better.

Bretonnia: Cavalry. Bretonnia has the most powerful cavalry in the game, and have a wide range of mounted and mobile options. Their infantry is very low quality, but is cheap enough to be expendable chaff. They have decent artillery in the form of trebuchets, and have easy access to magical support even if their mages are below average.

Dwarfs: Tough, powerful and slow. Dwarfs are among the most durable units in the game, and have the best war machines of any faction. Their lines are nearly unbreakable, and their offensive power borders on overkill. They have two major weaknesses, however: they are extremely slow, and they have no true mages.

Lizardmen: Lizardmen are the second masters of magic, along with High Elves. Outside of their mages, their units come in two varieties: cheap swarms and expensive monsters. They possess a wide range of monstrous creatures and heavy infantry, supported by many light skirmishers. They are slow in combat, and their main durability comes from toughness rather than armor, but they hit like a truck and have some of the greatest mages to support them.

Wood Elves: Wood elves are highly mobile and fight best from long range. While their mages are not quite as potent as High Elves or Lizardmen, they are still very effective. Their units have low durability and poor armor, but they do have access to some heavier forest spirits, such as treemen, to take the hits for them. Still, their greatest asset is mobility, cover and lots and lots of shooting attacks.

I have the latest army book for every army but the Wood Elves. If you want them, you'll need to either wait for me to find it, find it yourself or use the old edition. I'll set up a dropbox for the game and put any armybooks people request in it. Thief, what is your dropbox email?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back