Literature Inspiration in Literature

Proficiently Awkward

Professional Cynic
Curiosity has been eating away at me this morning, so I thought I would sate it some by asking a fun topic question we can all sink our teeth into. Today's topic: Inspiration in Literature!

Is there a quote from a book that you read ages ago, but has always stuck with you? Something that hammered into your heart the moment you first read it? Post it here! Also, if there is a book in particular that changed the way you write, or moved you in some way...list it and tell us why!

Here is my own favorite quote...or one of many!:

" Remember that I am thy creature; I ought to be thy Adam; but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed. Everywhere I see bliss, from which I alone am irrevocably excluded. I was benevolent and good -- misery made me a fiend." - Frankenstein

"Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I’ve tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice."

-'fire and ice', Robert Frost

I read this poem was I was a child, and it struck me that choices would ultimately guide me to the path of good and evil.

It's funny to look back upon my choices, quite a few years later, and understand that even those simple decisions had such lasting implications on my life today.

Oooh I found a good quote that is indicative of my writing: "There are as many...loves as there are hearts." - Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back