Importing old EC content

Flagg

The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment
Van77Man graciously pointed me to a copy of the EC spells PDF. Filthist Cynis should be following this up with more soon. This brings up an important question: How should it be made available.

There are two options, as I see it:

1. Have the PDFs downloadable in original form.

• pros: Easy.
    cons: Impossible to rate.

2. Port all of the stuff into Lore5

• pros: Stuff can be rated, and would be found in the same place as the rest of the submissions. Charms would be integrated into the graphical trees.
    cons: Data-entry intensive. Many authors are not current members in the database.

I favor option #2. I don't mind doing the importing. As for the absence of user accounts to attach the submissions to, I propose creating an "Old EC Content" user to assign the submissions to in Lore5. Each submission would include a note saying "If you wrote this, contact a moderator to get credit for it." If someone steps up to claim authorship, the submission could then be transferred into their name.

Thoughts?

-S

If you don't mind doing the importing, then option 2 sounds fine. If you want some help, let me know. It should be relatively easy enough to cut and paste from the pdf.

One thing is that you don't need to CHOOSE between these.  Put the PDFs in place while the Charms and such get loaded in, then put a "see this link" thing in their place once it's done.

I'll probably do that, but just keep the PDFs up permanently as well. Why not?

-S

Van77Man said:
If you want some help, let me know. It should be relatively easy enough to cut and paste from the pdf.
I'm going to deputize you as a temporary submission moderator. I'll PM you with details.

-S

I just put in all the Necromancy. These things are going to need a LOT of editing to get them up to standards. Once everything we have available is entered and proof-read, I'll do a mass-approval of the content. This might take a week or three, but as we've waited this long, I think we can wait a bit longer.

Once everything's set, I'm going to spam all the other Exalted forums I know of asking people who submitted to the old site to check if any of their unclaimed stuff is here.

-S

I like that you sent out the clarion call to all the old EC posters to come and claim material.  That's classy, and it might get some of the folks back who might not be aware of the site, or at least in its current incarnation.

I like that you sent out the clarion call to all the old EC posters to come and claim material.
I haven't yet. I'm waiting for <strike>doomsday</strike> all of the stuff to get entered and (extensively) edited.

-S

I just approved all of the Necromancy spells. Check 'em.

Sorcery is in the works.

-S

since im already going through the stuff, ill go ahead and do some basic and obvious editing though it may have to have a look over by someone more skilled than I.

Hopefully that will help you all out as far as time and stuff. Oh and i just want to warn you alot of this stuff is... bad. lol.

also do you want me to hold on to or just delete merits/flaws that have yet been cannonized like "actute senses"

I know a lot of it is bad. The jetsam will sink to the bottom of the rankings in good time. Send it over anyway.

For the sake of giving me less work to do, you might as well ditch any duplicate Merits.

Thanks.

-S

"Dec 31, 1969."
What the fuck?
For historical reasons this is the date on which Unix systems start counting time.  If you see a last-mod date like this, just ignore it.  Generally it means that the submission was added via some automatic tool, not by a user.

I think I'm going to set all the old EC stuff to May 10(?), 2005, once all the stuff's in. That's the day the EC died.

-S

Because I am a machine, I've also completed the task of adding and editing all of the Sapphire Circle spells.

http://patternspider.net/exalted/l ... yType&id=2

I think when this is done, we're going to have more spells than S&S.

You'll notice, when browsing through these spells, that the old EC crew had a major hard-on for Sidereals.

-S

wordman has sent me a bunch of the PDFs of Charms, Artfacts, etc. They are somewhat old though. I'll start entering them in, but if anyone has copies newer than 2001/2002, please send them along.

-S

Added 44 Charms. More to come.

They're spread out amongst many Abilities and Exalt types, so the best way to see them all is to use the above link.

-S

Added the final 23 Charms I was given, for a total of 67.

-S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back