Imbue Amalgam

shifty

Can you take a trusted follower, and use Imbue Amalgum to boost its abilities above the normal 5 dots and Essence limit?

shifty said:
Can you take a trusted follower, and use Imbue Amalgum to boost its abilities above the normal 5 dots and Essence limit?
Pretty much... yeah... it's a really funky spell... ^_^

shifty said:
I don't see why not, I mean in the rules for it, it doesn't especifically say oyu can't do it, so I would say it is able to do so or if you want you can limit it to however much essence the caster has.

It's one of the oldest tricks in the book.  A Solar starts with Imbue Amalgum and a few loyal followers and turns them into slavizh combat monsters within a few sessions.  I personally ban characters from starting with the spell, as it can easily unbalance things within a few sessions.

Why throw the baby out with the bathwater? S&S didn't go far enough to curb player abuse (though it's an improvement over the Bo3C version), but capping attributes and skills at, oh, 5 or the Exalt's Essence, whichever is greater, works wonders.

I'm not saying that you should get rid of the spell, I just ban players from getting it and I control its access until I am sure that a character having five Essence 5 Terrestrial Sorcery using slaves doesn't unbalance the story.

I'm not saying that you should get rid of the spell' date=' I just ban players from getting it and I control its access until I am sure that a character having five Essence 5 Terrestrial Sorcery using slaves doesn't unbalance the story.[/quote']
 Um, for that, don't you need a Essence 6 caster? At that point, said slaves are unlikely to unbalance the game much, given comparable opposition. Granted, using them for artifact construction...[drools]

Yeah that was kinda my thing.  I was thinking of having an NPC type solar who was Essence 5.  He had a few buddies.  T

Ways to abuse Imbue Amalgam without using combat.

The smithy.

The first buddy was previously a mortal thaumaturge with awakened essence, etc.. the stuff that would let a basic mortal thaumaturge cast spells. He boosts him to Int 13, Craft 13, Occult 13, Lore 13, and give him the charm Flawless Handiwork Method and simply designs defense grids from the S&S through brute force of designing from First Principles. A reasonable assumption that a Solar could find an Advanced Workshop with First Age tools, and help be the thaumaturges helper... so creating a Power 5 artifact is only difficulty 9 (by using the Solar as the "helper")... easily accounted for when you have 26 dice and Flawless Handiwork Method around.  Probably get through early.  So just about one Power 5 artifact every 2 years.

The next guy is the Perfect Warder.  His purpose is to ward the place from Malfeas and back.  Boost his attributes to Manipulation 13 Occult 13 and Intelligence 13.  With 26 dice to play with you can crank out

Spend about 2 weeks working on a the ward and you can probably set up wards that are of power level 16 that last about a decade.  Since Fair Folk and Ghosts and Spirits are most affected... so for about 4 weeks worth of work you can make the place pretty much invulnerable to ghosts and fair folk even Essence 10 ones.  Considering that at Essence -5 the wards strength, the fair folk will not come approach within bowshot, and at -6 the wards strength the very concept of approaching or touching the ward becomes something more feared than death.

And Ladies And Gentlemen Elvis Presley

Give some mortal Manipulation 13, Presence 13, Linguistics 13, the charms Unbreakable Fascination Method, Heart Compelling Method and Memory Rewaving Discipline.

With 26 dice netting you 13 successes, anyone under Essence 4 gets whammied with UFM, and needs 13 successes on a willpower roll in order to not stand there in rapt awe.  Then Memory Reweaving Discipline the potential agressor into thinking that your group are just harmless charlatans.  ORR if there is a crowd aka an army.  HCM the invading army.  With 13 successes  any body with a Willpower lower than 13 means they will feel overwhelming pity... then from there Memory Reweave and once again your group is nothing more than harmless bumbling charlatans.

And anyone presented with evidence to the contrary would need around 13 piece of seperate evidence to think otherwise thanks to MRD.

The purpose of the 2 other guys is to buy time for the smithy. Combat Amalgams.  Hah.  I will mind control your ass.  Long enough to get my Defense Grids up or my reality engines up thanks to the smithy.

And building One Defense grid every 2 years is pretty mean.

All of this is an exercise into showing just how bad ass Imbue Amalgam can be without making combat monkies.

Lets not forget you could boost a mortal up to Essence 4, Give him Wyld Shaping Technique, and have your very own manse maker out of the Wyld... Ofcourse that might piss off some fae... oh Mr Warder...  Oh Elvis

Nothing like convincnig some fae to guard you while you build your wards to protect against em...

Anyways I am rambling.  The whole point is to show that too many people revolve around combat.

I make Imbue Amalgam a Solar circle spell. This has the dual desirable effects of drastically limiting PC access and explaining why the canonically establishd Celestial sorcerers don't use it all the time, while not significantly detracting from the coolness factor of the spell.

Yes, it requires stone from the Blessed Isle, but that's fairly easy to acquire if you know what you're doing. Even for a Deathlord or a Lunar.

Users who are viewing this thread