• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

"I'm Uncultured"

Salt Lord

┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴
Alrighty, so I'm in a conversation with a friend. I tried saying that my siblings were being I'm uncultured (if it works how I think it does, that will have said 'being I'm uncultured'). 

C - U - N - T - S. Every time I try to use that word (which I do, a lot), it autocorrects to 'I'm uncultured'. I'm on a laptop. With the actual, non-mobile site. That most likely has less bugs. 

I'm not sure if it was just a glitch for that one conversation, or it's a glitch on the whole new platform. Worst case scenario, it's the mods trying to get people to cut down on cursing (which it probably isn't, considering it would have happened with literally every other curse word). 

I'm just bringing it up so that whatever it is, it gets fixed. 

No, that's the censor for that word. Most cursing is allowed, but there are words that are censored like that. I only know of that one, so I can't tell you how many others do that. My suggestion is to just use a different word.

If you try to bypass the filter thats grounds for getting a warning, btw. :b now that you know that some words are filtered, you can make sure to avoid that! Censoring letters, putting spaces inbetween, p much any way of trying to get around the filter isn't allowed, since the admins decided to censor those words for a reason. Most if not all of the censored words can be considered slurs, so it shouldn't interfere with your writing very much.

It was a joke censor made by the old admins and mods of RPN of yore, because people liked to spam the chatbox with that sort of shit. I guess it got carried over to this site, and no one bothered to remove it. 

funnily enough, i find this kind of censor kind of childish and immature, especially since sometimes the slur in question wasnt even meant to be a slur, just another harmless word, and you end up lookin the fool cuz you didnt think it was a naughty word. I remember when 'ho' was also censored in the same vein, and I only often used that word for 'Ho there' or 'ho ho funny joke'

Ho has never been censored or Hoe or Bitch or fuck or any of the other many curse words. Only select slurs against race, gender, sexuality are banned. Like the N word, the C word or the F word (not fuck).

This was before the merge, iirc. The old old staff was pretty anal about things.

We're keeping the filter because every word on it is a slur against a particular race, gender, or sexuality.  That some people use those words as "humor" doesn't negate how offensive they are.  There are plenty of swear words that are not on the list, because swear words aren't banned, just these specific insults.

I know you guys aren't gonna change anything but I personally agree with uncensoring them since this is an RP site and a lot of those words would be like... words a character would use in many scenarios and especially in certain time periods. And I really don't think the userbase is that sensitive. I don't know everyone and I could be wrong. Even though, I notice most GMs who don't want cursing in their RPs will specify that cursing isn't allowed or must be kept minimal. So I think the decision should be left in the hands of the players. 

The c word may have originated as a slur for women, but I hear it used for men just as much as I do for women, if not moreso. So is it really a sexist slur anymore? And if so, I don't understand why the c word is blocked and bitch isn't if the logic is that it's an offensive slur for women.

As a black dude myself, I actually find the I'm uncultured thing more offensive than someone just saying the n word. I actually got pretty pissed the first time I saw it. Because I mean, I've heard more black people say it to myself and others and people who aren't even black affectionately more than I've heard someone use it as a way to put black people down. We've taken that slur and turned it around so that it can't hurt us, and that in my mind is a grand cultural achievement, the opposite of being uncultured. The censorship doesn't feel like it's there to protect me, rather, it feels like it's there to protect non-black people's sensitivities. And going with the same logic that it's blocked because it's a slur, how come other racial slurs aren't blocked? The old mods may have done it to prevent people from being butts in the chat, but it seems stubborn to hang on to it now.

But that's just my opinion. I know you guys aren't gonna uncensor anything. Maybe change the censor thingy to something else. Like something cute and random and not inadvertently offensive. Like cupcake.

"HEY LOOK AT THAT GUY! WHAT A FUCKING CUPCAKE!" 

There are plenty of other racial slurs on the filtered list, it's just that we can't post them here because, well, A) they'd be filtered, and B) we'd be breaking our own rules. ;)

Thank you for your opinion, but we (the admins) just this week had a discussion on this and it isn't something that's going to change.

LOL on "cupcake" though. :P

There are plenty of other racial slurs on the filtered list, it's just that we can't post them here because, well, A) they'd be filtered, and B) we'd be breaking our own rules. ;)

Thank you for your opinion, but we (the admins) just this week had a discussion on this and it isn't something that's going to change.

LOL on "cupcake" though. :P

Oh? Now you've got me curious. *Heads to workshop to try every racial slur* xD

Fun cultural things, this thread ^^. As an Aussie, censoring c*** is weird to me where fuck is acceptable. Here they are roughly equivalent and c*** is not particularly targeted at women. A man can be a c*** and a woman can be a dick. I guess it's a lot worse in the US or something? Can you guys enlighten me?

Also before I knew about the censor I once tried to have an antagonist make some homophobic remarks, you can imagine how well that turned out. 'Look at these fucking I'm uncultured.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun cultural things, this thread ^^. As an Aussie, centering c*** is weird to me where fuck is acceptable. Here they are roughly equivalent and c*** is not particularly targeted at women. A man can be a c*** and a woman can be a dick. I guess it's a lot worse in the US or something? Can you guys enlighten me?

Also before I knew about the censor I once tried to have an antagonist make some homophobic remarks, you can imagine how well that turned out. 'Look at these fucking I'm uncultured.'

The filters reflect American slang, and what's bad/the worst in American culture. In America, the c-word pretty much the worst swear word there is.

As someone with the mouth of a USMC (for those who don't know, they curse a lot and I have a brother who influenced my cursing) I will never use the C word. Regardless of who it's directed at, it has to be an extreme circumstance before I'll ever use it. Especially since it was a slur against women for so long. I know in other countries it's as commonplace as any other curse, but to me, I hate the word because of the connotation in America. Slurs in general make me uncomfortable, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back