I'm new and I have no idea what to do

Dark Elfling

Your sweetest nightmare
Um, hi! Can someone just give me the basic guidelines of how this works?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

I'd be happy to help you, but I don't know if you're curious about this website or roleplaying in general. What kind of guidelines are you looking for?

Okay, Elfling. Roleplays are collaborative stories, and most online websites, RpN included, focus on play-by-post roleplaying. Play-by-post roleplays are very writing-based, so two or more people will each take turns writing a story. I suggest taking a look at Cirque de Monstres, a play-by-post roleplay. The roleplayers respond to each other's posts to write a pretty big story together. Cirque de Monstres is public right now, so anyone can sign up!

Some roleplays are private, and they only include a few people, so not just anyone can join. Some popular terms for these are "1x1," which applies to RPs for only two people; "1x2" or "1x3," which apply to RPs for only three or four people; "invite-only," which applies to RPs where only people who are specifically invited can play in them.

There are also original RPs and fandom RPs. In original RPs, people play as their own original characters that they made up all by themselves. In fandom RPs, people play as characters from a certain book, movie, or other works. If I do a DC Comics fandom roleplay, I might want my character, or the character I play in that roleplay, to be Catwoman. If I do a Harry Potter fandom roleplay, I might want my character to be Ron Weasley. If I do an original roleplay, I will make up my own character to play.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure how much you already know, so maybe that's all old news to you!

I wish I could give you some recommendations for fantasy roleplays, but I'm not part of any. I do suggest reading through or making your own a thread here, if you're interested in 1x1 RPs. If you're interested in joining a public RP, I'd suggest looking here. If it's of any help, you can find RpN's Roleplay Discussion section here.

Please let me know if I made something unclear for you, or if there's a topic I didn't cover that you'd like to know about.

Very well put Lulabell! just a few more things about the site in general.

First off hello and welcome to RpN Dark Elfling!

I'm Shura, and you'll see me floating around the site and sometimes in the
Shoutbox which is like this place's chat-room. Everyone there is always super friendly, so don't hesitate to say hello if you ever have the chance. If you need a starting point check out this link . It's got a lot of helpful links like Official Site Rule and such. Once you have made at least 10 posts, you’ll be able to access more of the site’s awesome features and send private messages!

If you ever find that you’re stuck, you can always refer to
News & Updates or Questions & Information. Myself or any of the other staff members are always willing to answer any questions you may have. :3

Happy roleplaying!

Oh wow, thanks! That was very helpful and everyone here's so nice. Would you recommend I start with a RP that's already into a story or should I make a character somewhere that hasn't begun yet?

Joining an RP that hasn't started yet but is accepting characters is sometimes a lot easier than trying to jump into an RP already in progress. It really depends on the RP its self and how far advance the plot is (if there is one).

[QUOTE="Dark Elfling]Um, hi! Can someone just give me the basic guidelines of how this works?
Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

[/QUOTE]
Welcome! I am pretty new too so we can figure this place out together!

/me enters the darkness

Hello there, Elfling. Welcome to RpNation!

If you haven't checked out the Welcome to RpNation greeting page, you should. It has a lot of useful links you may want to check out during your stay here. If you have any questions, feel free to check out our Questions & Information forum for a list of rules, BBcode guide, and even the staff list. There's a lot of information there but if you can't find the answer to your question, you can always make your own question thread or ask one of our lovely members. Our staff are always happy to help and I'll also do my best to answer any questions you have.

The Discussion forums are open to chat about things such as general topics, creative topics, and roleplay topics. You can also visit the Shoutbox, an awesome chatroom that is located on your top menu bar. Make sure to come drop by sometime and say hello! Once you have made your 10 posts and have had an account for more than 24 hours, you can access our TeamSpeak server, start new conversations, make status messages, and post messages on other members' profiles. For more information, check out this thread.

Anyway, I hope to hear more of you in the future. Happy roleplaying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back