• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

[Ignore This]Youtube Embed Modification

Fable

₮ⱧɆ ₥Ɏ₮Ⱨ, ₮ⱧɆ ⱠɆ₲Ɇ₦Đ, ₮ⱧɆ ₣₳฿ⱠɆ
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So, first off I've not even attempted to do this so I cannot say it would even be possible..  Since we can embed youtube videos into posts, I was wondering if one was to modify how the video appeared if that would fall under altering the site's appearance since it's confined to the post.  So, if I was able to only show the youtube video controls (play/pause, volume) would something like that be permitted?

EDIT: Forget I've even tried this.  -head hung in shame- I do not have the skill!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why wouldn't be able to do that. :)  As long as your coding does not interfere with the appearance or function of the site itself, you're good to go.

I don't see why wouldn't be able to do that. :)  As long as your coding does not interfere with the appearance or function of the site itself, you're good to go.

I've got to now figure out if it is even possible now. @_@

Just out of curiosity, what would this coding be used for? I'm assuming it's meant to minimize the screen space when using youtube videos for things like background music and ambient mood sounds, I'm just a curious busybody XD And also, how would one go about doing such a thing like that? I'm no good at coding, I didn't know if there was an HTML format or something for it :3

Just out of curiosity, what would this coding be used for? I'm assuming it's meant to minimize the screen space when using youtube videos for things like background music and ambient mood sounds, I'm just a curious busybody XD 

It's meant to be more of a music player than a video player in appearance.  Also... I found some nifty coding where the entire body of a site was a YT video.  If that was possibly to implement into a post without affecting the entire site, there could be some awesome applications.

It's meant to be more of a music player than a video player in appearance.  Also... I found some nifty coding where the entire body of a site was a YT video.  If that was possibly to implement into a post without affecting the entire site, there could be some awesome applications.

Awesome, I'd love to keep tabs on this as you figure out the code, I can already think of some great applications for it! Keep us updated here, if you can and/or feel like it :D

Awesome, I'd love to keep tabs on this as you figure out the code, I can already think of some great applications for it! Keep us updated here, if you can and/or feel like it :D

Lol, I can't make any promises of this working though.  I just figured I would ask before even attempting it.

So, a couple of hours at messing with this and I'm noping out of continuing because I'd need to use some JS.  You CAN alter the iframe ever so slightly, but it'll make the video scale oddly.

What specifically were you looking at accomplishing?

Ah, with the old embed functions of youtube you could essentially hide the video and only expose the controls, therefore making allowing someone to embed the video for just the audio.

Then deviantArt is in some deep shit.  They have a way of doing it there.

I haven't looked at deviantArt much other than for the occasional character image.

II. Prohibitions #8:

separate, isolate, or modify the audio or video components of any YouTube audiovisual content made available through the YouTube API;

Straight from the Youtube TOS. Doing so risks Youtube striking down on RPNation. I'm not saying they're going to, but there is the possibility.

Well, technically you're not isolating tbe audio. You're just changing how much you can see of the video.

Well, technically you're not isolating tbe audio. You're just changing how much you can see of the video.

Using any part of the CSS or JS to change how much of the video shows through the YouTube API is a violation. You've just modified the video component (screen size).

Using any part of the CSS or JS to change how much of the video shows through the YouTube API is a violation. You've just modified the video component (screen size).

It could be argued that you're just covering up a part of the video, thereby not modifying it. But you're right. Better safe than sorry.

It could be argued that you're just covering up a part of the video, thereby not modifying it. But you're right. Better safe than sorry.

Using Youtube's API has the Youtube video pulled in a specific way using their technology. If you cover up part of their video, the only way to do that is by modifying your webpage to mess with Youtube's API via CSS or JS. Yes, you're only covering up part of the video, but doing so requires that you make modifications to your website to add additional functionality that as is not naturally built in to Youtube's API and thus a violation.

Your API Client will not, and You will not encourage or create functionality for Your users or other third parties to:

separate, isolate, or modify the audio or video components of any YouTube audiovisual content made available through the YouTube API;

Using Youtube's API has the Youtube video pulled in a specific way using their technology. If you cover up part of their video, the only way to do that is by modifying your webpage to mess with Youtube's API via CSS or JS. Yes, you're only covering up part of the video, but doing so requires that you make modifications to your website to add additional functionality that as is not naturally built in to Youtube's API and thus a violation.

But it's not modifying ths API itself. It's just modifying the website around it.

I feel like my argument is getting weaker by the minute.

But it's not modifying ths API itself. It's just modifying the website around it.

I feel like my argument is getting weaker by the minute.

Okay, so the Youtube API says my website, what size of our video embedded do you want from our prebuilt options?

• small: Player height is 240px, and player dimensions are at least 320px by 240px for 4:3 aspect ratio.
  • medium: Player height is 360px, and player dimensions are 640px by 360px (for 16:9 aspect ratio) or 480px by 360px (for 4:3 aspect ratio).
  • large: Player height is 480px, and player dimensions are 853px by 480px (for 16:9 aspect ratio) or 640px by 480px (for 4:3 aspect ratio).
  • hd720: Player height is 720px, and player dimensions are 1280px by 720px (for 16:9 aspect ratio) or 960px by 720px (for 4:3 aspect ratio).
  • hd1080: Player height is 1080px, and player dimensions are 1920px by 1080px (for 16:9 aspect ratio) or 1440px by 1080px (for 4:3 aspect ratio).
  • highres: Player height is greater than 1080px, which means that the player's aspect ratio is greater than 1920px by 1080px.
  • default: YouTube selects the appropriate playback quality. This setting effectively reverts the quality level to the default state and nullifies any previous efforts to set playback quality using the cueVideoByIdloadVideoById or setPlaybackQuality functions.

The website supplies that information, and then Youtube API embeds the Youtube video. From that point, you now have an embedded working Youtube video that has been made available directly on your website through Youtube API such as this:

Now, I want to try and cover up the video portion, but leave the controls at the bottom. The only way you can do this is by making a modification to your website. Yes, you're not making a change to the YouTube API directly, but the Terms of Service are clear that

Your API Client will not, and You will not encourage or create functionality for Your users or other third parties to:

8. separate, isolate, or modify the audio or video components of any YouTube audiovisual content made available through the YouTube API

which by causing our website to cover up the "video" component we have now just modified the level of audiovisual content that was made available through YouTube's API originally, thus violating Terms of Service clause 2.8

Okay, so the Youtube API says my website, what size of our video embedded do you want from our prebuilt options?

which by causing our website to cover up the "video" component we have now just modified the level of audiovisual content that was made available through YouTube's API originally, thus violating Terms of Service clause 2.8

Okay. What about... embedding a Youtube video and covering it up, but not through the Youtube API?

Okay. What about... embedding a Youtube video and covering it up, but not through the Youtube API?

That requires using your own custom API client to embed which would still require using parts of YouTube's API. The only way you could get around it is if you were downloading the videos off of YouTube and uploading to another server that allowed such functionality, but even then it could only be for private not public/commercial use so you've already struck out there and then you'd also fall under Fair Use which is a whole different bag of worms entirely. Suffice to say,  it is simply not possible to do because of the legal limits and restrictions YouTube has placed on their product and software.

That requires using your own custom API client to embed which would still require using parts of YouTube's API. The only way you could get around it is if you were downloading the videos off of YouTube and uploading to another server that allowed such functionality, but even then it could only be for private not public/commercial use so you've already struck out there and then you'd also fall under Fair Use which is a whole different bag of worms entirely. Suffice to say,  it is simply not possible to do because of the legal limits and restrictions YouTube has placed on their product and software.

Aw. And I 'd just found a way to do it.

Welp. I admit defeat.

Don't think of it as a competition. :)  It was never a battle to win or lose, simply a conversation between two people. I was more than happy to answer your questions.

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to think of a loophole for this, since it's a cool idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back