• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern // Ignite the Spark // open & accepting

Veda Creed | Location: Grand Oak

“Just one second!” Sola called out from inside her room.

Veda stepped back a foot, intending to do just that. She stood there patiently, unfocused, the reason why she was there becoming hazier and hazier. Her stomach growled again, knotting and twisting, begging to be fed. Faint sounds of conversation drifted from Solara’s room, and despite the haze overtaking her mind her curiosity spiked.

It seemed like forever she stood there, alone in the middle of the third floor hallway. Her stomach refused to cease growling, and as she turned to go the door swung open.

The first thing Sola did was smile. It was nice, and she tried to return the favor but her lips barely twitched. She felt… weird, like she was missing something obvious. Walking in after her invitation, she didn’t notice Kais until she saw him reach back and knot his long hair behind his head. Veda looked away, scanning her studio. It was a twin to hers albeit rearranged differently. It was a home not just a room. She stook note of the two cups in the windowsill, Solara’s bed hair, and the fact that she was still in her night clothes. None of it seemed to matter though; Sola asked her to give her a minute to change and so she would.

The door closed behind her as she walked into the studio, making her way to the dining table while Sola made her way to the dresser. Kais stood hesitantly in what seemed like the middle of it all until he edged his way out of the room without as much as a goodbye. Veda shrugged, reminding herself that it was none of her business to begin with. Her only agenda was feeding herself and figuring out what seemed wrong.

“How are you?” Veda asked once they were alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

S o l a r a || F e i v e l

spark scout

Sola looked with brows raised as Kais scuttled across the room, clearly embarrassed and caught off guard. He acted as though Veda was coming to take him to his execution, instead of to join Sola for breakfast. This wasn't the first time she'd seen him act so peculiar, but it had been the first time in a long while.

She stifled a smile as she recalled a younger version of Kais, growing into his personality...a Kais that hadn't quite yet learned how to make a scary Professional mask. He had begun formulating that mask when he was around ten years old, and Sola herself was only five. She felt the corner of her lips quirk up as she replayed the memories of them as children, back when her parents were still here and all she wanted to do was tag along with him and Shasta. She used to hate it when they had to go to school and training instead of spend time with her. She and her mother would make their way to the stone stairs in front of the Oak at a certain time each day. Together they would sit and wait for Shasta and Kais to come home with Solomon, her father. Life was so simple then.

Focusing back on the present, she watched as he left quickly without even a word of farewell. Sola bit back a laugh. A part of her felt a bit guilty for putting him in this situation. He probably didn't what Veda to see him like that, just waking up and clearly not in his own room. Vulnerable. Another part of her considered it kind of endearing to witness a side of him that she rarely got to see now that they were adults. He was usually so composed, so it was kind of cute to see him visibly flustered.

She shifted her eyes to Veda, who was looking a bit piqued. Her expression was looking oddly neutral for a woman who had asked her freely about her marital state the night prior. Sola realized with a start that Veda hadn't had her Patch removed yet, and it had been nearly two days since she'd last taken a Pill. She forced thoughts of Kais and Shasta out of her mind as she moved to her dresser, pulling out her first aid kit. In it was a clear canister of the crimson Pills. Moving to the kitchen and filling a glass of water, she gestured for Veda to come to the table.

"I'm...alright. Here, you should probably take another Pill. The one you took two nights ago is wearing off by now. Just take one with water,"
Sola told Veda as she set the glass and canister down on the table and went back to the dresser.

She pulled out a pair of fitted jeans and an airy v-necked tank top with a black base, printed with muted pastel florals. She had gotten it on a whim on her last trip to the Market Square. It had been looted from some time of older shop in something called a mall, or so she heard. Typically she would have opted for just a plain shirt, but today called for a little bit of color. She needed a little bit of brightening, for her mood and for good luck. Tossing the items over her arm with some of her underclothes, she walked across the studio to the bathroom.

"I won't be long. Just make yourself at home. Sorry it's such a mess,"
Sola called to Veda as she internally cringed at her unmade bed, the cups on the windowsill, the open dresser drawers, and the way her sketchbooks were strewn across her desk.

Shutting the door behind her, she went about the process of washing her face and brushing her teeth. Stripping off her sleepwear and tossing them in the hamper, she dressed quickly before looking back in the mirror. She ran a brush through her hair, pulling the tangles away until it lay in straight locks that fell almost to her elbows. Parting it in the middle and deciding to leave it loose, she opened the bathroom door. A pair of sandals were already by her front door.

"Alright, Veda! I'm good to go whenever you are. I hope you're hungry. The dining hall has amazing food in the morning," she called, eyes scanning the room for the cotton purse she always took with her to the Market. As she searched, it occurred to her that Shasta and Kais were probably talking at this point. She sent a prayer up to some higher power, hoping that it was all going well.

S H A S T A || F E I V E L

spark alpha

Shasta had slept relatively well, considering he went to bed around four and woke up at eight. It was an hour less sleep than he usually got, but it was alright. It had been a deep slumber, one unmarred by dreams...the kind of sleep that rested you right to your bones. He had woken feeling energized, ready to go.

He now stood at his kitchen sink, glancing around the room. Shasta had taken up residence in his father's old work suite, one with a separate bedroom and living room. Furnished minimally and immaculately tidy, it was his sacred space where he was not the Alpha...he was just Shasta Solomon Feivel, no extra connotations. He leaned against the counter with a mug of coffee in his hands, glancing at his watch. The data pad sat next to him. He'd risen an hour prior, taking time to shower and change into khaki pants and a navy and white plaid linen shirt. Today was about strategy and planning, and his clothes would reflect a bit of that professionalism. He also expected Kais and Solara any minute, and he wanted to be the face of composure. By now they had surely woken up, and he was certain that they would be talking to him after what he had witnessed last night.

He took a sip of his coffee and mulled over what he would say to them. It was something he hadn't thought about until that moment. As much as he leaned towards planning ahead, he didn't think that there was anything he could analyze until he actually knew what was going on. Thinking about it would only make him angrier, more stressed than he already was. As if on cue, there was a light knock on the door. Kais and Sola, no doubt.

"Come in,"
he called as he finished off the coffee and placed his mug in the sink.

He rested against the counter with his arms crossed. Though his expression was cool, he felt tense. First things first, he would need Kais to give him a report on the goings-on while he was away. Then he would allow a conversation on what the
hell his stoic best friend, who basically had the emotional capacity of a loaf of bread when it came to women, was doing in bed with his only little sister. Just thinking about it caused a flare of anger in Shasta, but he forced it down. He was nothing if not organized, and getting heated before knowing the status of The Spark was not on his agenda.

Kais Wiltchil

Spark Strategist

By the time Kais reached Shasta’s room he had recovered his composure, or at least enough of it that he no longer felt like a complete fool. Now he simply had to face the challenging part of the morning. One thing was set in his mind—he needed to tell Shasta about the looters
before they got into a shouting match over Sola. Kais was positive that even Shasta would have to admit that four people dying was slightly more important than who had slept in Sola’s bed last night. He raised his hand, rapt on the door twice, and entered when Shasta’s voice spoke from within.

Shasta was in the kitchen, leaning back against the counter with his arms crossed over his chest. As expected, he was angry. Perhaps livid was a better word. Kais’ face was calm, neither angry not defensive. He had already decided what he would say—at least for the first half of this conversation. There was no time like the present.

I swear I will answer whatever questions or accusations you have in a moment, but there is something you must know first. This is more important,” Kais said without preamble. They both knew why he was here, and Shasta looked to be in no mood for small talk. Kais was never in the mood for small talk, so that made two of them. Getting straight to the point suited him well.

Looters raided us last night. They numbered around thirty, by best estimate, and we took out at least half before they fled,” he paused. That was the easy part. Now for the bad news. “Four of ours died. Holden, Kirst, Tray, and Ayna. Many others were injured, but they’ll all make a full recovery.”

He listed their names by memory. He had known them all, at least by name and face. Holden and Ayna had been Ruins-born and grown up with them. Beyond that, Kais knew little about them; he tended not to get personal with the others. Shasta and Sola were friendlier people—Sola especially. With a start he realized he hadn’t told Sola about the casualties. She had asked last night and he had sidestepped her question, instead directing attention to her own troubles. There was no time to fix that, now, though and he hadn’t finished his report.

Sola participated. Short of knocking her over the head of tying her down, there wasn’t much I could do to prevent it. She came out unscathed but...” he paused, trying to decide how to explain that she wasn’t exactly ‘fine.’ “She took down at least two of them on her own. She saw something that severely shook her. All she would tell me was that she had killed someone’s brother and that his name was Henry. After that she cried herself to sleep.”

Veda Creed | Location: Sola’s Studio

When Sola pulled out a first aid kit instead of what she was expecting -
clothes - Veda’s submissive mind rolled over, and something clicked. Out came a clear canister of crimson pills and suddenly she remembered. Taking a seat at one of the wooden chairs, she watched Sola fill a glass with water and pluck out a single pill. Her kitchen looked used and not static like her own, and she wondered what kind of food was available to purchase here in the Spark.

Sola placed the glass on the table and the pill in Veda’s open palm. She swallowed it obediently as she had two nights prior, thankful that she had something to wash it down with.

She coughed out a thank you. Now that she remembered what emotions were, she was eager for their return. Not so keen on how they were delivered however. Sipping on her water, she noticed how full Solara’s drawers were, and how some of the clothes actually held color. It was very rare for citizens to wear anything other than their standard quadruplet colors: blue, grey, tan, and white. Small surprises like these truly gave way to the differences between life behind Tranquil bars and the Spark’s willful, freedom-loving existence.

“I won’t be long. Just make yourself at home. Sorry it’s such a mess.” Sola said, draping her day’s attire over her shoulder.

Veda nodded her head and tried to smile. Hazy mind or not, Veda could tell there was something
good about Sola, something sincere. She kept quiet though, unsure of what there was to say.

She heard the bathroom door close, and Veda scanned the room. It wasn’t what Veda would call messy. Vera’s room when they were kids is what classified as messy. A hollow pain erupted behind her heart and Veda wasn’t sure what to make of it.

Sitting patiently as she could with a growling stomach, her heart rate only a few beats past mild as she waited for the telltale symptoms that provided her emotional resurrection. Veda took in her surroundings slowly, familiarizing herself just in case she had another…
episode.

It came over her slower this time, or maybe she was more prepared. Her hands trembled, her heart rate spiked, and a weird I’ve-done-this-all-before sensation swooped through her. Veda placed the glass back on the table and steadied herself with a few deep breaths. With eyes closed she could feel the Patch’s control wane as her emotions - the good, bad, and ugly - surged back into her.

Her hands still shook and her heart was racing, but she felt okay. She felt normal. She felt empowered.

Standing as the bathroom door opened up, Veda listened to Sola speak, and was glad that she mentioned breakfast right off the bat. With emotions opening up to her, Veda smiled a real smile, and spoke to Sola.

“Breakfast sounds wonderful, I could really use a bite to eat.”

spark alpha

Three years. It had been three years since their last looter attack, and it had happened on the one night that Shasta was gone. Hearing that there was an attack was enough to make him tense...but hearing of the losses caused a stab of pain to spike through his chest. It wasn't often that there was a invasion-related death within The Spark. That was part of being a soldier though; it was a hazard of the job. It didn't stop the pang of grief, and the fact that their families would now need to cope with that loss. Shasta recognized each name. He didn't know any of them well, but he had met all of them at one point or another.

He circled the counter and moved to his desk, extracting a legal pad. As he wrote down the four names on the top page, he made a mental note to check the the records of where each family lived. He would be going to them personally to offer his condolences and thank them for the service of their loved ones. Their work is what kept The Ruins safe. The sorrow would run deep, and Shasta already felt it. But right now, he didn't focus on it. There was a time for everything and this wasn't it, not for the Alpha. Making sure his people were taken care of came before all else.

"First things first, I'll inform the families. We'll need to go to my office after I get back so I can write up a report to put on file. It’ll be best to discuss it in detail then,”

Shasta ripped the page out of the legal pad, folding it and tucking it into his shirt pocket as he walked back towards where Kais stood. It was then that he considered what he had told him about Sola. There was a reason beyond safety that he didn’t like for her at the front lines. She didn’t do well with taking out enemies, even if it was for the greater good. She couldn’t view it objectively. Her desire to be useful had overridden all other modes of action, and this time it had hurt her terribly. She had held her own, but at what cost? Shasta sighed, crossing his arms as he pinched the bridge of his nose in stress. Besides that action, he stood composed with his expression a calm neutral. He wouldn’t let his face betray what he was thinking.

“That’s why I don’t want her on the front lines. She’s too empathetic. Not objective. Either way, I'll have to find her to get a report. Was she by herself at the station?”
Shasta asked, glancing at Kais. He paused as a realization settled on him. "Actually, I'm surprised that it's just you here, and that Solara isn't with you,"

Surely Kais had told her about his short appearance the night before? Concern skirted at the corners of his mind. Where was she? She wasn't one to avoid discussion. Shasta thought about things compartmentally, and they needed to finish this conversation before they could get into what he'd witnessed last night. Just the thought of the two of them sneaking around behind his back caused irritation to roil in his gut, but there was no way he could fully invest in the topic until he was out of the dark and less on edge about his sister's whereabouts.

Kais Wiltchil

Spark Strategist

There was little that needed to be said or done on Kais' part; he nodded once or twice as Shasta mentioned follow-up plans regarding the looters' attack and that was that. He watched as the gears in Shasta's mind turned back to Sola, then to her conspicuous absence, and he knew the uncomfortable part of the conversation was looming. Seeing Shasta's concern for Sola reminded him that they were both on the same side; Shasta was his
best friend and he didn't want to have an argument with him. He also didn't want Shasta to be angry with him and he certainly didn't want Shasta to disapprove of his budding relationship with Sola--whatever it was.

First things first.

"There was one other person with her, as far as I could ascertain... a new recruit, straight from Tranquility the night Sola went by herself. I'm not sure what she was doing out there, but they both came back covered in blood." Conveniently, the answer to question number one led easily into the answer to question number two. "That's who she's with this morning. Sola promised to take her to breakfast and the market; she said she didn't want to cancel after the night they had."

Both questions answered. The awkward part was through with looming; it was hanging over them like a cloud, waiting for the torrential downpour to start. They were talking about Sola, now, and Shasta would expect him to continue talking about Sola. Kais met his eye and knew he wasn't going to ask, knew he would just wait stand there and wait for Kais to begin. This was the part he had been dreading all night. Not even his hurried conference with Sola that morning could put the right words in his mouth, now. Would that he had stopped her from opening the door and just
asked her.

...I just want you to know that I'm in this for the long haul.

Her words rang in his ears, as if she was still there, standing next to him. He took a deep breath and tried to summon that confidence he'd shown her before. This was Shasta, damn it! He could talk to Shasta. It wasn't as if either of them were particularly unreasonable--Shasta would understand. He had to understand.

Because if he didn't, Kais would be stuck deciding between Sola and Shasta.

The silence had stretched on long enough. Kais forced himself to begin, not bothering with a transition. They both knew why he was there, still standing awkwardly in the entryway as he had been the whole time Shasta spoke and moved about.

"I don't really know where to begin; one place is as good as another, I suppose--but I want you to know going in that we are not hiding anything from you, whatever it may seem from your perspective." Right. Like he was going to believe that. Kais sighed. Better illustrated than said, he supposed. "I kissed her. Yesterday morning, right before you walked in. That was when this started. Not enough time has passed for us to figure out what is going on, let alone determine in clear enough language to explain to someone else. We were going to discuss things, sort out where we stood, and then talk to you about it. You were supposed to be the first one to know as soon as we knew. Things just... didn't work out like that."

Kais had begun to pace. He didn't even remember having moved his feet, but suddenly he was moving back and forth, restless, vaguely aware that he was simply voicing his thoughts without really explaining anything. Everything was so jumbled and disorganized, his head was a mess of emotions and it
wasn't supposed to be like this. He pulled at his messy bun, repeatedly, anxiously, until the knot fell out completely and his hair was just a mess once more.

"But it's not like that. It may have been sudden but it's not spontaneous and we might not have had much time to talk to each other, but we both want it to work." Kais stopped pacing and looked at Shasta, fingers twisting themselves up in the tie he had pulled from his hair. His eyes shone with both concern and frustration--he was doing a truly terrible job of making their case to him, and if he didn't do a good job....

"We both want to be together. In the long term sense."

spark alpha

Shasta stood still, his gaze following Kais as he paced back and forth across the room. The man looked so distressed, pulling at his hair and then fidgeting with the band. Shasta rubbed his chin, considering what he had been told. Knowing that his day was organized and Solara was relatively safe allowed him to feel the spectrum of emotion that he was avoiding. His friend looked so overwhelmed that it was hard to be angry, but this was his only sister they were talking about it. It had made enough sense that whatever was between Kais and Solara was relatively new. There was no reason to doubt what was said, and Shasta trusted Kais. He felt a certain peace at knowing that this wasn’t intentionally hidden from him.

It was short lived.

As Kais continued talking, new concerns began to grow in Shasta’s mind. His sister had never been serious with anyone. He was well aware that there had been people that she had tried to conceal from him. He could have meddled, but he didn’t. He trusted that if it was serious, she would talk to him. This was the first time that Shasta had ever had this type of conversation, and it stressed him out.

He considered the two of them. Solara was one of the most emotional people he knew. She felt things deeply, almost too much. Things impacted her so strongly. Kais...was not that way. In all the time that he had known him, Kais had been emotionally restrictive. Shasta had seen the way Kais reacted to things such as combat, war, and death. How could a man who didn’t really mourn the loss of people from his
own side truly be able to care for and support a woman who shed tears at the deaths of her enemies? How would Kais muster up the emotional energy to be there for her? From his perspective, it looked like they would both drain each other. Shasta saw a future where Sola would need words that Kais didn't have, and Kais would resent her for needing them.

“I know you say that you both want it to work out in the long run. I understand that this is all relatively recent, but just
think about it. For one minute. To Solara, everything carries emotional weight. She's always been that way, and we both know it. You've seen it. Just look at the way she handles combat fatalities of not just us, but our adversaries. Tell me, are you prepared to emotionally support a woman like that in the long term?" Shasta paused, shaking his head. What he was about to say was potentially hurtful, but he needed to voice it. He loved both of them too much to see them potentially hate each other. "Kais, you’re like a brother to me. And that's why I have to be honest with you. Maybe it's not my place to say, but I just don’t know that you and Solara are right for each other. What's going to happen when the infatuation fades?”

Kais and Sola had both apparently wanted it to work in “the long term sense.” He sighed, wondering if either of them had even paused to consider what that might look like.

Kais Wiltchil

Spark Strategist

Shasta voiced his doubts and Kais listened, though he considered them unreasonable.
Of course he was prepared to emotionally support Sola--exactly what did Shasta think he had been doing for the better part of his life? The fact that she had--or at least displayed--so many more emotions than he did had never bothered him, never prevented her from sitting down with her and listening. He was a bottomless well of emotional support. At least where Sola was concerned. Anyone else tempted to vent to him would likely earn a glare, at best, and a bullet at worst. It had always been that way, as far back as he could remember; he and Shasta had always protected her. Sometimes that meant having a stern talk with someone behind Sola's back. Sometimes that meant picking her up and brushing her off when she fall and skinned her knees. Sometimes that meant just being there, just listening, when she was upset. If they could carry on so well platonically Kais couldn't imagine how Sola's emotional nature would be trouble in a romantic relationship.

He opened his mouth to say just that, but Shasta wasn't finished. The next part was more than unreasonable. Kais' brows furrowed and, for the first time, a glimmer of anger showed in his eyes. It wasn't so much the suggestion that he and Sola weren't right for each other as what followed.

"What's going to happen when the infatuation fades?”

Kais glared,
"Don't be an idiot, Shasta," he snapped, before remembering who he was talking to.

Shasta. His friend, his
brother. Whatever he might say, however it might hurt, Shasta only wanted to protect them. Just like Kais, he was motivated by a need to do best by Sola. Kais sighed, dropping his scowl and composing his emotions into thoughts.

"I'm sorry. This is more stressful than I had anticipated, on some accounts, because I've realized that if things go poorly between us, I could lose one of you." Kais looked back up at Shasta, no longer angry or defensive, but worried. "You and Sola are all I have in this world, and you know that. How could you think that I wouldn't be there to support her emotionally? You've seen me do it time and again. Sola's emotions are not a drain on me--they fill me up."

The longer he spoke the more another emotion began to build behind his voice and in his eyes. Some unplaceable emotion, somewhere between pride and defensiveness, love and annoyance.

"How could you think this was infatuation--just some fling, like I'm a Pill-drunk Patcher? The fact that I don't express many emotions should tell you something about the depth of the ones I do express." Passion. His eyes blazed with it. "I love Sola. And I always have."

spark scout

Sola returned Veda's smile. She herself was born within The Ruins, and had spent her entire life growing up in Spark territory. She had never known what it was like to have part of yourself suppressed by the Patch, and thus she had never known what it must have felt like to take the Pill. What was it like to regain the total range of feeling? When Sola had asked freed Tranquil before, it sounded like the process was slightly different for everyone. Most of the time, those freed were eager to get the Patch removed. At some point, she would need to ask Veda when she would want to set up an appointment for removal. She considered what they could do within that day to maximize their time. After a moment, she spoke.

"So, I was thinking. There's a place here called the Market Square Expo, which is what I was telling you about before. It's filled with different vendors. I was going to take you there so you could pick out some stuff that you might need, like new clothes or stuff for your room. Maybe we could straight there. Might be a better use of our time. They have these amazing cinnamon rolls at one of the stalls. They are ridiculously good. There's coffee too," Sola replied, pulling her bag over her shoulder.

The Market Square Expo was probably Solara's favorite place within Spark Territory, aside from the forest. Even as a child, she had loved going and talking with all the artists, musicians, creators, and vendors. It was filled with men and women pursuing their different passions, and making those passions their life's work. The space was so welcoming, filled with some of the most hospitable people that Solara had ever met. Always filled with life, it was a teeming hub of Spark culture. Any time she wanted to learn a new artisan skill, that is where she would go.

It was an interestingly shaped building, massive and beautiful. A mostly glass exterior filled with what had once been office space circled large courtyard, almost stadium-like in its structure. Solara had learned that years ago, concerts and music festivals had taken place there. Now it was was a series of countless stalls and booths, a bazaar that was always packed with people. Artists and makers would be displaying their products; and looters would be showcasing items plucked from their expeditions.

Almost everything was up for barter, trade, and purchase. It was where Solara got all of her things, from her handmade lavender soap to the scavenged sketchbooks on her desk. In her bag now was several items that she could use for bartering within the Market. It was mostly old coins, currency that had been scavenged from before the War. They were a novelty now, and people usually were willing to accept them for trade.

As they made their way out into the hallway, Sola closed and locked the door behind them. She waited for Veda's response before continuing, hoping that she would agree to go straight to the Market. It would be a good thing to do something more light hearted before she would have to inevitably face Shasta to not only talk about Kais, but to recount the events of the night prior. Veda would need to come with her for part of that conversation, as Shasta would want to hear her perspective in order to record it on file. Yes, starting the morning out with cinnamon rolls might be a much better catalyst to all of the less appealing work that would need to be done today.

spark alpha

Irritation flared in Shasta as Kais decided that out of everything he could say to the brother of the woman whose bed he was sleeping in last night, the best thing would be to tell him not to be an idiot. His eyes narrowed as he looked at Kais, his composure still controlled though anger lurked just behind the facade. He opened his mouth to respond, to tell him what a stupid thing he had just said, when Kais talked again.

This time when he spoke, it wasn't to accuse him of acting idiotic. This time, his voice was filled with worry. Shasta crossed his arms and listened as his friend spoke, allowing his anger to cool so that he could really hear what was being said. Kais' voice was growing uncharacteristically emotional as he talked, culminating in him saying something that slightly surprised Shasta. Kais loved Sola, and he always had.

His argument was convincing. Shasta would have had an easier timing resigning to it if it had been anyone else but Solara. Would love be enough? Would love give him words to say when Sola was faced with killing again, and would need more than just someone to listen? Would love give him the energy to consistently understand someone who was so often singularly fueled by that emotion? Would love give him the perception to understand the way in which his sister viewed
everything? Yes, Kais had been there for Sola for years. They had been together through thick and thin, but that was in an entirely different context. Shasta wasn't worried that it was a fling. He feared that after this first, beginning stage of love that they felt, they would be faced with huge differences and gaps in understanding. Being romantically involved came with a whole new set of expectations and connotations.

Yes, Shasta had his doubts. But as he looked at Kais now, he tucked them away. It was not his place to decide who his sister could and could not love.

"You're not going to lose one of us. That's not how family works, not with us. I'm not going to make you pick between me and Solara. I'm surprised that you'd even think that I'd be so callous. You both are adults. What you do is up to you. But don't expect me to refrain from being honest with you in return, or do not imply I'm being idiotic for doing so. This is my only sister, Kais. You have no right to act as though I'm behaving out of turn to be concerned," Shasta said firmly. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Now that he had gotten that off his chest, he continued in a calmer tone. "You say you love her, and I know that you mean it. I'm not trying to attack you. I can't control what you and Solara choose to do. I have my reservations, but in the end...it isn't up to me. I trust you and your judgment. If you want to pursue that relationship, if you believe that you both can make it work...then I won't stand in your way,"

Shasta wasn't an unreasonable man, or the type of person to force his own will on another. Maybe Kais and Sola would eventually put his suspicions to rest. Maybe they would figure out how to make it work in the long term. Shasta just hoped that neither got hurt in the process.

Eve Salem

"Thank you for your cooperation, it's greatly appreciated," Eve said, her voice sincere. She paused for a moment, before continuing, her brow raised in a questioning manner, "I trust that if the problem is lying within anyone working under you, you'll be replacing and reporting them immediately." Defiance from the citizens in the outer sections was one issue, but from government workers within the Diamond Sector? Eve couldn't begin to imagine to repercussions, the amount of work that would have to go into reevaluating each worker. It'd be a nightmare she wouldn't want to think of, let alone be apart of. Not to mention the damage it would cause to PaxCor's reputation. She nodded when Ava requested a list of flawed materials. "Of course. I'll have those sent to you as soon as possible. You can expect them by the end of the day."

Eve was about to thank Ava for coming in when she proposed something else.
"...I suggest we seek alternate forms of placation. Propaganda is fine and well if the subject already agrees with your cause, but tends to turn the other way if they are already feeling the pangs of nonconformity. I think if these nonconforms are in fact growing in numbers like you say then we need to take more drastic measures and seek out of the box solutions." Eve carefully considered Ava's proposition. She was right; propaganda would only further subdue those who were already dedicated to PaxCor. The same thought had crossed Eve's mind before, but first and foremost, she'd have to bring the idea to Luna.

"That's a... wonderful proposition, actually. Increasing our forms of placation would certainly benefit us and add more of a safety buffer against rebels. I'll present your proposal to Luna, but since it was your idea in the first place, do you have any current thoughts on what these 'alternate forms of placation' might entail?" Eve had a list of her own ideas already racing through her mind, but she was curious as to what Ava thought. Despite her feelings of contempt for the woman, Eve knew she was intelligent. So was she. Perhaps putting their minds together would be beneficial.

Ava Sebastian

Ava grimaced slightly at Eve, She’d want her to go through her team and point fingers. Ava didn’t want to punish them, they hadn’t done anything and anyone she tapped would likely be...punished. No, she’d have to wiggle her way out of that one by saying it was a group effort and they didn’t keep a log of ideas (which was true) so she couldn’t pin point who actually made the mistake. But that would come later. Here came the hard part.

“Well I do have a few ideas, some of them I’m not sure you’re going to like,” Ava said sincerely, “But we can begin with the easy ones. As you know, my team works closely with the architects to determine what would be the most calming environment for the theatres that play my films, but we do much more than just design the building. We chose scents that are periodically sprayed into the audience, the color and intensity of light, and also the wall color. These all play a large part in increasing patch efficiency and maintaining an air of calm. So one of my ideas is implementing the ideas used in my theatres and apply them all over the city. My team has been discussing this possibility for a while and we’ve determined the best places to implement changes would be in homes, parks, and in factories,” Ava explained. She wasn’t lying either, this was all stuff that she’d done or discussed with her peers, “Other things that might help are flowers. It’s a very simple idea but our studies have concluded greenery and organic splashes of color increase cooperation and patch efficiency. Now, those things may cost money but it’s nothing PaxCor can’t afford. But that’s not the part that you won’t like Eve.” Ava took a deep breath and gave Eve a reassuring look.

Ava would be careful to approach this topic. She wanted to be sure Eve knew she was on her side. Ava’s department did do a lot of phycological studies of the Tranquil to see what they respond to, which luckily played right into Ava’s hand. “During our studies we found that when the tranquil see an abundance of guards it greatly decreases patch efficiency. Now, don’t get me wrong Eve I’m not suggesting you decrease guard activity in places of interest,” She gestured to the screen where Eve had shown her the footage of the attack, “Just decrease it in the more central parts of the outer districts, places that they’re not really needed as much. Now actually,” She took a lighter tone and wagged a gloved finger matter-of-fact-ly, “This might work well, you could take the guards from safe zones like the Rust District and the Blood Sector and instead move them to where the breaches are found.”

She furrowed her brow and sighed, “Now of course this is fully up to you and Luna herself but I can send you the results of my team’s studies,” Ava realized she had missed something, “And rest assured, the team who make the media and the team who perform the psych studies are completely separate, I don’t think I could find fault with my psych people, they’re very thorough,” She smiled and leaned back in her chair.

Ryder Lawson

687474703a2f2f6f72696730362e64657669616e746172742e6e65742f633465352f662f323031342f3331322f392f312f6672616e636973636f5f6c6163686f77736b695f3634373938325f62795f6265797a656869726f6e6d616e2d6438357163346a2e6a7067

The night had dragged on for too long, so when they finally reached the ruins, Ryder was more than relieved. The left over exhaustion he had felt the night before consumed him, and his feet were tiredly dragging across the ground, clouds of dirt following his trail. The ruins were quiet, except for the occasional chatter of the insomniacs that littered the town, everyone was asleep. The air felt different though, as if something had happened but he paid no mind to it, and if something did happen Ophelia would waste no time informing him on what strange event had occurred while he was gone.

When Ryder reached his room, he kicked off his shoes and tugged the hem of his shirt, pulling it over his head and flinging it to the other side of the room. He didn't bother to make his way over to the uncomfortable couch that he had situated himself the night before, but instead he lowered himself into the mattress that sat in the middle of the room. Paying no mind to the warmth that radiated from the sleeping body next to him, he closed his eyes and drifted off into a blissful slumber.

The abrupt stirring that had shook the bed urged Ryder to open his eyes for a few moments before closing them again. He willed himself to go to sleep for a few minutes longer before he let out a sigh and opened his eyes to stare at the crisp hazel one's boring into his own. He blinked, taking in her appearance for the first time since her arrival. He had neglected the action before because his mind was a clouded mess. His eyes danced across her face for a few more seconds to admire her perfections and flaws, before they landed back on her eyes. She looked alarmed and...
disheveled. Who wouldn't be if they found a shirtless guy in their bed?

Ryder sat up, "Ah. Shit, sorry for crashing here." He muttered, dragging his hand down his face.

@Bhlow

Kais Wiltchil

Spark Strategist

What is wrong with me? The thought burst, unbidden, into his mind. As he listened to Shasta speak, his emotions were all over the place. Kais was on edge, flipping from emotion to emotion with every passing word. He wasn't angry that Shasta had told him what he thought—that much he respected--but he was angry that Shasta thought that somehow, including the word 'romance' in his relationship with Sola would suddenly change everything.

One emotion stood out above the rest.

"You're not going to lose one of us. That's not how family works, not with us”

The words echoed in his mind, bouncing around his brain so that he nearly missed the rest of what Shasta said.

You're not going to lose one of us.

He hadn’t registered exactly how much that thought had weighed upon him until Shasta brushed it away with the apparent ease of someone who had never had that concern. Perhaps it had been a stupid thought, but it had been ringing in his mind since he’d stepped through the door.

Kais hung his head, closing his eyes for a moment. Relief poured over him like a bucket of water on a hot day. It had been an irrational fear, but a driving force behind his actions thus far in their conversation. His own family had left him—perhaps not intentionally, but they had done it nonetheless. The only family he had left was chosen, half-adopted, and there was always a feeling of not
quite being one of them. He had little doubt that the feeling was entirely on his side, but it didn’t change that it was there. If he wasn’t blood, they could make him choose. If he wasn’t blood then he could lose them.

The rest of Shasta’s words washed over him, proving what he had already stated, showing what Kais already knew. For some reason, Kais hadn't been expecting him to be reasonable, which was stupid, because Shasta was almost always reasonable. He had expected him to be unreasonable because that was how he, himself, would have reacted. Because unreasonable was exactly what he was being.

An irrational, emotional slob.

Kais didn't often regret his words, and less often still his deeds. But faced with Shasta's calm demeanor, he felt suddenly ashamed of himself. Shasta had never accused them of anything at all--he had simply voiced his concerns. His perfectly reasonable, rational concerns. And Kais had subsequently made a fool of himself. Emotions had that effect on him, it seemed. He’d allowed himself to be swept away on a current too strong to control, and now he was faced with having no idea what to say to Shasta. What could he say to that? He took a shaking breath to compose himself, opening his eyes as he released it, but not looking up.

“I apologize. I let fear get the best of me, and I’m sorry for it. I’m disappointed that you think this will change things between Sola and I, that you doubt that we can make this work. But I understand…." His voice surprisingly even, if a bit quiet. He looked up at Shasta as he finished speaking, his face more calm now. Only his eyes showed the lingering hint of emotions that had torn through him before. "I just hope you’ll be pleased to be proven wrong.”

Veda Creed | Location: The Oak

Veda listened before she spoke, allowing precious moments to pass before she answered. She wasn’t exactly sure what a cinnamon roll was, but it seemed to be some kind of sweet pastry. Not very often did she succumb to the expensive credit prices for pastries in Tranquility, but today she thought she just might. If only she knew what this cinnamon roll was.

As they made their way out of Sola’s studio and into the hallway, Veda thought about the factors of the Market as well. She needed food for her pantry, a hair brush, shoes, and clothing. There was a small sinking feeling in her stomach. How was going to pay for all this? The Spark provided basic essentials, but how were Tranquil to get their other needs? Veda was willing to trade manual labor for food, and then hopefully find a way to make some credits to get other things. She turned to Sola suddenly, “I didn’t bring any credits with me Sola, how do I make some more?”

She pinched her nose. A million other questions rolled through her mind. It was too late to ask for another white tablet, so she took a deep breath and composed herself. Now-vivid images of Sola opening the door and welcoming her in flooded into her mind; Kais was there if only briefly… but the two coffee cups on the windowsill could say differently. She shook her head before opening her eyes, and deciding those questions could wait.

“What’s a cinnamon roll?” Veda asked curiously, walking down the hall to the staircase with her new neighbor.

Rosemarie (Rose) Hayward

proxy.php

Rose blinked and moved away, surprised at his casual swearing. "Right" she muttered, running her hand through her hair, trying to avoid looking at his chest and remain without blushing, this was completely foreign territory.

"I'll look for a room today, I didn't get around to it yesterday with the attack and -" she broke off. "I have to go". She grabbed the last of the fresh clothes Ryder had brought her and rushed to the bathroom, changing from the blood stained shirt. She washed her teeth and face, cleaning herself up quickly, and in a flurry left the bathroom.

"I'm going to the infirmary" she spoke quietly, as to not wake the sleeping Ophelia, and ignored her growling stomach due to the guilt that gnawed at her, she hated to go back to that place, but he had abondened it, and it was time to go back. With that she rushed out of the room heading straight to the infirmary - and stopped still when she saw the man what had come in gravely injured with the bullet in his chest was being carried out, his body limp and deathly pale. She didn't need to look twice to know that he had passed away. She covered her mouth for a second as she stood in the doorway, it was her fault, she should have stayed, if she didn't let her emotions carry her off it would have been fine - no, if she didn't have emotions she would have been more efficient. She squeezed her eyes shut surprised that they had started brimming with tears.

Mentioned
@ambiguities

spark scout

Solara looked over at Veda, a look of surprise on her face. She touched her chest in mock shock, a wide grin spreading across her face.

“Oh, Veda. Cinnamon rolls are the food equivalent of getting a really good hug. They’re soft buttery buns that are baked and rolled up with warm, sugary cinnamon and then drizzled with a sweet vanilla glaze. Most of the ingredients are grown right outside the city,” Sola smiled and spoke wistfully, her mouth watering at the thought of the delicious treats. “Don’t worry about the credits. You just got here. I brought plenty of coins for us to use for trade. You probably know this, but before the War, people used paper and metal coins as currency. Here we mainly trade, but those Post-War coins are still used too. We can talk more about how you can make coins or get things to trade with later. We’ll find a job for you, something that fits you. But today is on me,”

They began walking to the Market Square, chatting easily about the differences between Tranquility and The Ruins. What kind of life was one without cinnamon rolls? They were easily one of Solara’s favorite foods. She stopped by Helena and Jamie’s bakery booth every time she visited the Market Square. They made their way through the city, the stadium-like building eventually coming into view. It stood proudly, made almost entirely out of dark glass. It was one of the most well-kept buildings in The Ruins. A sense of pride welled up in Solara as she saw it.

They approached it, Sola directing Veda through one of the many entrances. The entered into a lobby area with several corridors, most hallways leading to more office space. People buzzed around, some carrying things like paintbrushes or instruments. A lot of the rooms were used as workspaces and studios. Sola smiled and waved at different people she recognized, but she was on a mission for those cinnamon rolls that was fueled by an excitement for Veda to see her favorite place in the Ruins...the actual Market.

Cutting through a hallway, the distant noise of a crowd grew louder. Sola pushed a door with a wide smile on her face, opening it to reveal the sprawling courtyard at the center of the circular building. Countless people milled about, the sound of talking, music, and laughter filling the air. It was packed with booths, stalls, and stands each selling different things. Some stood open, others boasted colorful awnings and makeshift roofs. It was a densely packed and wide open space, with the sky a soft blue dome above it. It was vibrant, swarming with life, a lovely mishmash of humanity that made Sola restless with excitement and anticipation. She glanced over at Veda with a bright smile on her face.

“Stay close! It’s easy to get lost here!”
she looped her arm through Veda’s, guiding them through the crowd.

Sola couldn’t wait to get to the bakery stand. Helene and Jamie were a couple in their late forties, and easily the best baking artisans in the city. They made the best pastries she had ever eaten, made delicious by years of experience and fresh ingredients grown in a farming plot right outside of town. As they moved, Sola looked around for her friends Savi or Lugh. They had a stand here, and she was eager to see them now that they were back from their latest expedition. She wondered if either of them had heard of her recent solo mission. Lugh would probably laugh and find it amusing once he understood that she had made it back relatively unscathed. Savi may disapprove, but she figured she might be a little proud too once she learned her trainee had brought four people to The Ruins in one trip. She decided that she would buy eight cinnamon rolls at Helene and Jamie’s...two for her and Veda, a couple for Savi and Lugh if she saw them, one for the twins to take to their mother and her godmother Aunt Catlin, one for Kais, and
two for Shasta. She wasn’t above using food to get into her brother’s good graces.

spark alpha

Shasta looked at Kais and nodded, a small half-smile appearing on his face. The last two encounters with his best friend had been strained and he was eager to move past that.

“Trust me when I say this. I hope that you two will prove me wrong as well,”
He replied, sighing and rolling his neck. “Just please, no more surprises,”

As he turned his head to the side, his eyes locked onto the datapad that sat on the counter next to him. Realization settled on his shoulders. In the midst of everything, He hadn’t yet told Kais about what had actually
happened outside of Tranquility. They had a lot of planning to do before the next evening, when he was slated to meet Ava once again. Amusement sparked in the back of his mind as he recalled her dry comment about finding more suitable clothes for traipsing through the woods.

“I may have some surprising news, though,” Shasta said, thankful that the discussion about Kais’ involvement with his sister had come to a relatively peaceful close.

A tentative hope began to bubble in him again as he remembered Ava’s promises. He reached over to the datapad, his arm moving slightly too quickly in anticipation of telling his friend and second-in-command about the news that could potentially be a game-changer for their resistance. In his uncharacteristic haste, he knocked over the cardboard carton of sugar left out on the counter. It tipped and fell over onto the datapad, but nothing spilled. Shasta set it upright with some relief, the almost-mess causing him to more carefully hand the tablet to Kais. The information, should it be accurate, was invaluable.

“Guard rotation for the entire Rust Sector. The entire updated schedule is on that datapad, given to us by our ‘powerful friend.’ Read it, and I’ll fill you in before I leave to visit the families. I’ll make some more coffee in the meantime. I need some and you
definitely look like you could use a cup,” He said wryly in jest, hoping to make things slightly smoother with Kais as he pulled a second mug from the cabinet.

Eve pursed her lips slightly when Ava mentioned that she'd be averse to some of her ideas, but she kept her expression neutral. Innovation can only start with an open mind, she supposed. She intertwined her fingers and listened carefully to what Ava had to say. She brought up a point about using the patch to their advantage by playing into what increased its strength, adding in that certain atmospheres and flowers were effective in this area.

"But that's not the part that you won't like Eve."

Eve had been listening intently, nodding in agreement with the ideas Ava was presenting until she reached the her final point: the removal of security. Though Eve didn't show it on her face, Ava was right; the very idea did make her uneasy. After all, she did just
increase security measures. What kind of message would it send to repeal that action right after putting it into place? It would take very careful consideration before Eve agreed - if she even eventually would agree, to the plan. Ava did have a valid point, however. It was no secret that the citizens of Tranquility were particularly averse to the careful scrutinization of their lives. It was that very scrutinization, however, that kept Tranquility functioning - and kept the Diamond Sector in power. Eve didn't particularly like the idea, and she was nearly certain that Luna would share the same sentiment, but she'd bring the idea to her, anyhow. The two reforms Ava had mentioned earlier were relatively minor implements; this one was much more

major measure. She couldn't ignore the fleeting suspicions she had towards the subject. This, combined with the mistakes (or as Ava had written them off as) in the propaganda stirred a deep feeling of skepticism in Eve. She kept these feelings concealed for the time being, however.

She shifted in her seat, leaning forward against her desk.
"I do agree with all of your other points. In fact, I think they'll make wonderful as additions in the outer sectors to ensure patch efficiency and loyalty. I'll certainly present your ideas to President Pacecco as soon as I can. But I do have an issue with curbing our security measures. As you know, that's one way we keep an upper hand over them. Losing that could just tip the scale the other way. But like I said, I'll present these propositions to President Pacecco and see what she says, and we can go from there." Eve nodded reassuringly, leaning back slightly in her seat but keeping her posture tall and straight, "These are solid ideas, Ava. Perhaps we can discuss them further after I receive approval from Ms. Pacecco."

Ava Sebastian

Ava, sensing the meeting was almost over, gently hit her knee in resolution, sighing. "Of course Eve, but remember, they're only suggestions I thought you'd find interesting," Ava spinned it too look like she didn't really want the guards to be relieved. It was obvious Eve didn't like the idea, but Ava looked on the bright side: she wouldn't have to attain a completely different guard schedule for Shasta and the Pill People.

"I understand fully that we need guards in the outer districts to preserve our haven within, but you'll understand that it's my job to ensure the cooperation of the Tranquil, so I felt I needed to share my study results with you," Ava said casually enough. "Which I will have forwarded to your office, all the stuff about colors and flowers." Ava could see discomfort all over Eve's casual facade, time to bring it back in the the party Ava Eve knew and hated.

"Now that we've concluded business I was wondering if you're planning on attending Raphael's party tonight?" She asked excitedly. Ava was not excited for the party. Raphael's parties were rarely low-key enough for Ava to get any actual work done, as there was always loud music and way too much alcohol. She chuckled at her own question, "I realize it isn't your kind of party Eve, but I really do think you should come," Ava made a smile and took a quick look up and down Eve, "and find something festive to wear," she was using a tone that made her sound like she was dumb enough to believe that she wasn't insulting Eve. Resentment was not a good feeling for Luna's assistant to have towards Ava, but it was better than suspicion. And who could suspect to find an organized rebellion coming from a Diamond District party girl klutz like Ava?

"I would so enjoy seeing you there Eve, I worry you never have any fun," she added a hint of real concern into her last comment. Knowing their business was complete and the meeting was nearly over, Ava stood up in another intentionally klutzy rude thing to do. Eve called Ava there, she shouldn't stand up until Eve did. "That was all we had to discuss right?" She 'thought' for a moment, "Am I missing something?"

Eve Salem

It was like a switch went off: in almost an instant, Ava had gone from the politically savvy, intelligent woman she had been during the duration of their meeting to the ditzy party girl persona Eve was more familiar with. For a moment, Eve had to burrow through her mind to remember exactly what party Ava had mentioned; parties were hardly high on her list of priorities, and with her numerous responsibilities, the event had been pushed all the way back into her memory. She did faintly recall hearing about Raphael Tores's party, but had she planned on attending? If she had less work to do, then perhaps, but she was far too busy. Besides, she could only handle so much of Raphael's horridly self-inflated ego. She was about to respond to Ava's question but was interrupted:

"I know it's not your kind of party Eve, but I really do think you should come. And find something festive to wear." Eve smiled, fully aware of the intent behind Ava's insult; did she truly expect her to believe her air-headed facade when she had seen something completely different only moments ago? Naïveté was easy to fake. Intelligence was impossible to. "I would so enjoy seeing you there Eve, I worry you never have any fun,"

"Well, I hardly have anything so garish in my wardrobe," She said, her choice of adjective fully intentional, referring to Ava's current and usual choice of an ostentatious attire. Her voice was thick with a passive-aggressive tone, "but I'm sure I'll manage. And some do need to do actual work, so I do apologize if I can't make it tonight. Though, maybe a little less 'fun' would result in fewer mistakes on your part," Eve said in a nonchalant manner, referencing the faults in the propaganda that Ava had disregarded as mistakes from her subordinates.

"Am I missing something?" Ava asked in a ditzy fashion. Besides your brains? No. Eve thought, though she swallowed the retort; she wouldn't allow Ava to break down her finely-tuned air of professionalism. Though she did despise her need for absolute professionalism, especially in such times. Luckily, she possessed the poise to restrain her naturally sharp tongue. Unlike the person standing in front of her, apparently. The respect Eve had gained for her during their meeting dissipated in an instant, and in a moment, Eve fully remembered why she had originally had harbored disdain for the woman.

"Not at all," Eve said, intentionally remaining seated as Ava stood opposite of her, "In fact, I hope you don't mind if Jade shows you out." Before Ava could respond, Eve pressed the intercom button, speaking to her secretary in the next room. "Jade, we're about finished. Could you show Ms. Sebastian out, please?" Eve rose from her seat, walking to the door. "Again, I appreciate you taking the time to meet with me on an urgent matter." She offered a small, though not completely ingenuine, smile, "I'll be in touch." With that, she opened the door, where Jade stood attentively waiting.

Veda Creed | Location: Market Square

The short trip to the Market was nice, and Veda enjoyed discussing the differences between Tranquility and the Spark. It was easy to talk to Solara, easier than just about anyone she’d ever known. Their conversations were genuine, and without the influence of the Patch, it was remarkable to Veda how much more there was to a person. She had lived a life where conversations such as these were probably once in a lifetime. Small talk she knew and cared little for, but this was how it was meant to be. Completely absorbed and interested, questions and answers flying back and forth.

She was dying to get a glimpse at the Market, Sola spoke so highly of it. That, and there was always light in her eyes when she was talking about the place. Veda was intrigued with the concept of the cinnamon roll. The best thing Tranquility had to offer were small shortcrust pastries filled with fruit jam of your liking. Not to mention Veda was intrigued with what a
really good hug felt like as well. Wasn’t a hug just a hug?

To hear that the Spark grew most of their food was reassuring. She didn’t doubt their self sufficiency; if they could spare ingredients to make sweets, then they had enough to last through winter. She was doubly pleased to hear that she would find a way to contribute. Veda was unsure of the list of possible occupations here in the Spark, but Veda was a fast study with a lot of patience. There wasn’t much she couldn’t do if she tried hard enough.

The building they were to enter was quite stunning, and was easily the most beautifully preserved building in the entire Ruins so far. Dark glass that all at once seemed to mirror and absorb the sky. The interior was just as busy as she was expecting it. Usually her nerves would have been spiked, but she was high on excitement, or maybe high on the crimson pill, and all she felt was a giddy happiness that was entirely surreal. Sola waved to people here and there, a wide smile that reached her eyes plastered across her face.

When Solara opened the doors and she took her first glance at the Market, she felt breathless. A central atrium that opened to the heavens,with what seemed like hundreds of people making their way through the stalls. Some stalls had makeshifts roofs, heavy canvas or burlap, some even had scraps of wood and aluminum. Others had awnings and makeshift umbrellas. Everywhere she looked her eyes feasted on something they had never once seen. It was stunning, intimidating, awe-inspiring, and the best of all: she could expect this every time she came to the Market.

“Stay close! It’s easy to get lost here!” Sola said, looping her arm around Veda’s.

She hoped their first stop was the bakery.

Savina Melrose | Location: Expo Center | Time: 0837

Where the hell is Lugh and why is he always late when there’s work to be done?

Savina threw her hands up in frustration and stopped searching for her twin brother in the wave of traffic flowing in and out of the Expo. Most of them were vendors like herself getting ready for the day, but she recognized a few early bird faces. Turning back to her stand she focused on rearranging the merchandise. Old stuff to the front, new stuff to the back. Sometimes Savi wondered why she bothered, everything would be swapped by lunchtime. Lugh liked to show off their items, Savi’s happy with everything getting traded.

Female clothing to the left, male to the right. She set the maroon colored ceramic mug that she was tempted to keep next to few books that she’s been trying to get rid of for awhile. Grabbing the small handful of graphite pencils Lugh found while they were out, she plucked out the best three and tucked them into her apron pocket. If Sola stopped by she would give them to her; the book they were making had started eating away her personal supply and Savi had promised to keep her eye out for more. It was a lucky find really; they had traveled east instead of west per their usual route, and were staying in a building that Monty, another Spark looter, said was safe to sleep in. They found a trove of art supplies in a false bottom drawer. Lugh claimed the two journals as his own, but the rest were sitting at her stall right now. Paint, pencils, erasers, brushes, sponges, and even half a roll of burlap.

Their trip had been successful, surprisingly so. And like most successful trips, it took them twice as long to get back.

She and Lugh had only just got home at dawn, hauling back an unusually large load. Usually they’d make their reports as soon as they got back, but Lugh was dragging and Shasta would likely have been asleep. As they neared Spark land, Savi could tell something was wrong; a faint scent of death hung in the air, and with little investigation the twins found a mass burial underway just outside territory boundaries. That was a few hours ago, and the scent still lingered in her nostrils.

After an hour of pretending to sleep, Savi carried the new crate of merchandise to the Expo by herself. The few guns and ammunition that they managed to find were still in her room, waiting to be cataloged. She’d write up an inventory slip, give their reports to Shasta where he’d sign off their papers before they go back out. They’d need to do that soon, but with the death of four Sparks, Savi had no doubt Shasta’s morning would already be booked. The guns could wait.

Glancing at her kinetic wrist watch, she was surprised to see it was five til zero nine hundred. As if on cue, a horde of Spark citizens made their way into the market. She hurried to finish presenting her stall, cursing Lugh and his ability to fall asleep anywhere.

“You get any sleep?”

She didn’t have to turn around to recognize that voice, nor did she turn around to reply.

“Where the hell have you been?” She ignored his question because he already knew the answer.

He walked around the stall so he could look at her.
“Sleeping, which, correct me if I’m wrong, is something normal people do… You look a mess.”

Savi cracked a smile despite her weariness,
of course she looked a mess. She had come home after a month and a half long trek to find that four people she knew were dead after a looter attack earlier that same night. That mingled with her inability to sleep, produced one hell of a hot mess.

“Well it’s a good thing I got here right on time.” Lugh said with a cheeky smile.

Savina chose not to respond. Lugh waved, and at first she thought at her, until she glanced over her shoulder and saw Sola, arm looped with a young woman she had never seen before. She smiled and waved too.

Lugh whistled with two fingers before he hollered out,
“Hey Sola, long time no see! Come introduce us to your new friend!”

Ava Sebastian

Ava laughed good heartedly as if Eve was making a joke and not taking a stab at her. It appeared as nothing bothered her whatsoever. She moved towards the door saying, “We’ll I’ll always have time to discuss improvements of any kind.” She was being vague and illogical. Ava held out her hand to Eve for a handshake as she told Ava that she’d be in touch, “Yes me too,” She said, her eyes briefly inspecting the floor.

The meeting did not go well. Ava shouldn’t have mentioned the guards and instead should have just sent her the test results with the guard info. She also shouldn’t have gone into ditzy-mode, although it did help to distract Eve from the guard's request. She cursed herself inside, she’d been making way too many mistakes lately, starting with her fuckups with Shasta. Maybe the pressure of doing something so big was getting to her? If it was, she had to stop it. From now on, it would be only cool, calm, collected Ava. She thought back to why she was fighting and made the resolution in her head that she wouldn’t be scared, if the President found out about her, she would not be afraid. If she somehow was injured, she would not be afraid. Ava realized that for this to really work, she would have to be okay with dying for the cause. She thought back to the sad drones she saw when she was eleven. She was okay with dying for the cause.

Ava looked back up at Eve with sparkling eyes and a kind smile. “We should have lunch sometime if you aren’t too busy,” she leaned in and her face flashed cheeky, “No business, just lunch.”

Kais Wiltchil

Spark Strategist

So that was that. They had discussed everything Kais had come there planning to discuss. No one had been shot, nothing had caught on fire, and over all Shasta had taken the whole thing very well. Kais, himself, had taken things slightly less well, but the knowledge that everything had just come to a conclusion had a solidity and weight to it that calmed him further. He gave a nod when Shasta requested no more surprises--though Kais hadn't
intentionally been a part of the previous surprises--finally feeling more himself. The emotions had dulled, leaving no more sharp, abrasive feelings inside him. It was a comfortable feeling, resolution.

His calm was not dislodged when Shasta claimed to have the full guard schedule for the Rust District on a datapad--loot from his meeting with their supposed powerful contact within Tranquility. In everything else that had happened since yesterday, Kais had nearly forgotten why Shasta had gone out in the first place. He had been too wrapped up in his own personal problems to even think to ask what had become of Shasta's secret meeting. Now it seemed he would hear, after all.

Kais took the datapad, only one raised eyebrow giving lie to a hint of emotion beneath the surface; he gave it a quick cursory look before turning it on. After their discussion yesterday, he highly doubted Shasta would have brought it back without checking the inside, and he trusted his friend enough not to double check. Instead he merely turned the datapad on and scrolled through the guard rotation information. It was a lot of information and a lot of help--if it could be trusted.

It was Kais' job to see how things could go wrong and he was exceptionally good at it. The first thing that jumped out at him was that a guard schedule could easily be faked. The second was that, if someone were to feed a rebel group a fake guard schedule, they would know exactly when to expect said rebel group to come by.

Shasta was making coffee, so Kais took a seat, giving himself a shallow understanding of this supposedly-legitimate guard schedule. There were clearly times that would be more convenient to make an appearance. The real question was whether those times were
actually good times to make an appearance or staged times for the Spark to appear. To trap, or not to trap?

After a few moments of familiarizing himself with the data and still having no answer to his question, Kais set the datapad down and looked up at Shasta.

"Tell me the whole story, Shasta. Do you trust this information? It would be very easy to set a trap by feeding it to us," Kais' voice was even, merely posing questions and bringing up doubts about the situation in general. He didn't doubt Shasta's judgement, but he doubted the legitimacy of the information. What he wanted to know was, did Shasta also doubt, or did he know something that Kais didn't? Any person sent to set a trap for them would be convincing--and Kais knew that Shasta knew this as well. He was a good man and a good leader. He wouldn't send people into a dangerous situation without some extra information.

Spark Alpha

Shasta took a moment to consider the events of the previous night as he poured two cups of coffee. He replayed the scenario in his head, starting with his surprise at finding an outlandishly dressed woman sitting alone in the woods. Ava Sebastian didn’t seem to care whether or not Shasta would match her volume of information. She hadn’t given them the Rust schedule so that they could smuggle more people out. No, Ava seemed much too big-picture and grandiose than that. In the short time that he had spoken to her, she didn’t strike him as someone who did anything halfway or on a small scale. Ava had given them the rotation so that they could plaster new graffiti, so that they could reach a hundred people instead of one. Shasta brought the cups to the table where Kais was, handing him a mug before sitting down himself.

“There was just one person at the meeting place. A woman, named Ava Sebastian. At first she said that she wouldn’t talk until I did. It was like a game of wit, honestly. She told me that she’d been anti-PaxCor since she was a child. All I told her is that we’ve been around since before she was born. She said that she wants to be partners, an ally. She wants to free the Tranquil. Called them her people. Kais, she said that she wants to kill Pacecco. All of this, without me even telling her the name of the resistance. The implications of someone helping us get into the Diamond...it's huge, if it's accurate,” Shasta set his coffee mug on the table and looked over at his friend. He cracked his knuckles as he considered his own thoughts once more.

“My instinct is telling me that she’s an ally, not an enemy. If the Diamond were onto us, they wouldn’t be dragging this on. There would have been backups out in the woods. Or they would have at least tracked me or Roux. Maybe even Damien or Ryder. Think about how efficient PaxCor is. This is much too lengthy and drawn out to really seem like something that Pacecco would do. If Ava knew to disable those guardbots that shot at Solara and the newcomers, she knew enough to do more damage much faster. Why all this extra work if she’s really an agent out to hurt us?”

Shasta’s words came out calmly, even if they were spoken at a slightly faster pace than his normal tempo. He had yet to tell Kais that he had agreed to meet Ava again the following night. Part of Shasta wanted to try out the guard rotation on tonight’s Pill delivery. There would be no action, just surveillance...scouts going to check if Ava’s word was sound. If it wasn’t a trap, then she would have more of his trust. If Scouts slipped into the city as they usually did, in disguise, the risk wouldn’t really be any greater than normal. Shasta’s mind was whirring with the possibilities.

spark scout

They were almost to the bakery stand when Solara heard a familiar whistle, followed by a voice that she knew and loved. She turned towards the direction of the noise with a her lips parted in an eager grin. Sure enough, Savi and Lugh were both standing by their trading booth, smiling and waving them over. After a painfully long expedition, the twins had returned!

“Savi! Lugh! You’re back!”
Solara called out. She turned to Veda, loosening her arm so she could point at their trading stand. “Savina and Lukas amazing friends of my family. Come on, I’d love for you to meet them.”

She beckoned for Veda to follow her as she hurriedly moved towards the twins’ booth. Seeing them back in The Ruins safe and sound always caused her to breath a sigh of relief. Going on expeditions into the wilderness, looting or otherwise, came with its risks. No one understood that more than the Melroses and the Feivels, two of the Spark’s most prominent families. Sola still remembered the day when her parents, Solomon and Shahira, went out on the expedition with Uncle Eilam, the twins’ father. It was supposed to be quick, harmless. They were supposed to come back. When they didn’t, everyone’s lives changed. Shasta had been thrown into position of Alpha, and Sola had begun training with Savi. While they’d known each other before, that loss had put a bond between the Feivel siblings and the Melrose twins.

“Oh, it’s so good to see you!”
she exclaimed as she drew Savi into a quick hug when they arrived at the booth.

Even outside of the fact that Savi was her trainer and mentor, Sola looked up to her as a sister and friend as well. She was the type of person that Sola aspired to be like. Maybe someday she’d even be able to go on an expedition with her and Lugh. Pulling back, Sola noticed the look of tiredness on Savi’s face. Tilting her head slightly to the side with her brow slightly furrowed, she gave a Savi a certain look. When they were alone, Solara would ask her if she was alright. There was quite a lot to catch up on, from both sides. Giving her what she hoped was a comforting smile, she turned to Lugh.

“Back to trade another day, I see,” she grinned, leaning over to wrap her arms around him in a loose sideways hug. She looked up and lightly tapped her knuckles against the side of his face in a joking and affectionate punch. With an arm still around Lugh, Sola smiled and gestured to her new neighbor. “Guys, this is Veda. She’s one of the newest Tranquility recruits. She came back with me after my Pill delivery the day before yesterday. I was hoping we’d find you two. We were just on our way to get some cinnamon rolls from Helene and Jamie’s. I was going to pick up some for you guys and Aunt Catlin too,”

Sola spoke brightly, elated at the twins’ safe return. A pleasant smile had rested on her lips as she waited. She glanced over at Savi and she thought about all of the things she wanted to tell her. She and Aunt Catlin were the only close female influences Sola had in her life anymore. Growing up, Savi was the only one in her close circle who Sola would talk with openly regarding people she was involved with. She still remembered sitting with her on the river bank after a day of finding new plants when she was seventeen, seeking Savi's advice as she told her about her first kiss with a boy in her large training group.

Savina was the only person that Solara felt like telling about what had happened in the clearing, and what had happened between her and Kais. She would know what to say, and she would have words to give. As she considered the topic of catching up, Sola realized with a start that she hadn’t even found out about the casualties on their side from last night's attack. A piece of her heart ached as she considered the possibility of death in The Ruins. Deciding that she would wait to ask either Shasta or Savi, she focused back on the moment and savored the airy feeling of being reunited with her dear friends.

Kais Wiltchil

Spark Strategist

Kais took the coffee and committed himself to listening critically. Shasta's story wasn't long, but it was loaded with information that he needed to remember. He had, as Kais expected, considered the possibility of a trap--and evidently convinced himself that it was not likely. Kais wasn't quite as convinced; he thought deeply, leaning back in his chair and mulling over the information that Shasta had just given him. He took a drink of coffee, then set the cup back down, turning it in a circle as he considered. Shasta had been the one to meet her--perhaps he had picked up on something that Kais couldn't possibly glean from just a description. He liked to think that Shasta wasn't likely to bestow his trust needlessly, but it didn't ease his suspicions.

"To root out a resistance, you have to cut out its heart. At the moment, PaxCor knows very little about us, let alone where to cut to prevent us from growing back," Kais provided a possible answer to Shasta's question. Was it the real answer? He had know way of knowing. Perhaps this woman was everything that Shasta said she was--everything that she claimed. Perhaps she was not, and there was something more sinister happening here. "Regardless, this opportunity is too tempting to pass up in the face of danger. I don't think we should show her our cards, but we might as well investigate this information." He tapped on finger thoughtfully on the datapad while he spoke.

"Did she make a... suggestion for what we ought to do with this information?" It would be more suspicious if she had, truly. Though there was always the possibility that she was trying to help, giving someone information and suggesting what they do with it was rather more telling than giving something that was asked for. If they were to make use of her help--if it was that at all--in the future, Kais would counsel that they ask her for what was needed, without giving her a hint of what they intended to do with the information.

Still, it might not be practical. Or it might be found out to be a trap before then. The woman could either be setting them up, or know much more than they did--have such a better grasp on the situation that she could give them what was needed before they even knew how to ask for it. That was obviously preferably to the alternative--that she was a snake trying to slither her way into the heart of the Spark. But how were they going to tell the difference?

Spark Alpha

Shasta considered what Kais had said, and nodded. His friend wasn't wrong. Though, it still struck Shasta as odd. It seemed like a lot of effort with very minimal reward. Even if Ava was trying to get to the heart of their resistance, Shasta could have thought of a dozen ways in which she could have better done that. It wasn't adding up for her to truly be against them, unless she was some sort of independent, pro-PaxCor vigilante. Shasta didn't think she was as he remembered the way her eyes had shone with eagerness to help them. Still, he didn't take Kais' words lightly.

"I agree with you. We need to investigate and be very hesitant with our trust.She did suggest that we use the rotation to put more graffiti up in the Rust Sector. It's not our usual territory, what with all the guards. Though, she made it pretty clear that it would be effective to turning people to The Pill. The Tranquil work for hours on end, and apparently Patch efficiency is at its lowest point at the conclusion of a workday,"
Shasta paused, finishing off the rest of his coffee.

"I don't think we should take that full risk just yet. I'm thinking that we have a Scout or two go to the Rust Sector in typical Tranquility attire, just to scope out the area. They can confirm whether or not Ava's information was accurate. I told her that I would meet with her again tomorrow at the same coordinates. Between now and then, we should have enough information to at least consider whether or not we should be more closely with her. We can't send too many Scouts tonight. Just one pair. Too much activity would be suspicious. If they're in disguise, the risk won't fluctuate from what's typical for a Pill delivery. I'm not sure who should go at this point. Damien would have been a good choice, but I don't want to send him out two nights in a row. Maybe Nolan. How do you feel about going as well? I trust you out there,"

Shasta glanced over at Kais. He could tell that there was still skepticism. He knew that that wasn't likely to change, even if the guard rotation proved to be accurate. Shasta couldn't really hold it against Kais. That was his job. However, if the dispatched Scouts discovered that Ava's schedule proved to be sound...Shasta would feel a certain modicum of trust. He crossed his arms as he waited for Kais' response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back