Poetry I Remember

FancyRayOfLight

Light Itself
down below is probably one of my best poems, but I must preface it with some background. This is a poem I wrote for my creative writing class, it's about Diabetes Insipidus, which. i have. Not to be confused with Type 1/Type 2 Diabetes, my condition has NOTHING to do with blood sugar. Instead, it has to do with sodium and is mainly characterised by excessive thirst and urination. I've lived with this my whole life and from the poem it may sound miserable, and these specific days/nights I touch on in my poem were, but my life is great, and most days when I take my meds I'm only a little thirstier than average. This poem really touches on the reality of Diabetes Insipidus, even if I seem to reveal som pretty private things in here. Here’s the poem, and Thanks for reading.

I remember 10 years of wet beds

While they determined the right dose of meds for me

I remember wearing pull-ups to bed for 10 years

While my brother only used them for three

I remember the promise, that three nights of a dry bed and I could ditch the pull-ups

I remember the disappointment waking up to reality

After two exciting, dry nights of hope

I remember the excitement of finally ditching those pull-ups once and for all

I remember my parents shutting off the water at night

So I couldn't wake up and down water from the sink

I remember the fear until just a couple years ago

That if I drink too much, I'll have a seizure

I remember the lady at the Braille Institute that I obeyed and didn't educate

Who confused my Diabetes Insipidus with common Diabetes and told me I shouldn't have the sugar and told me to take it home

I remember ballet, or some other kind of class

That I really didn't take because I spent the whole time on a stepstool at the sink downing water

I remember my aide telling me how I threw a tantrum in 1st grade

When they wouldn't let me have any more to drink

I remember the relief I felt knowing there were others too

When I joined all the Diabetes Insipidus groups on Facebook and when I found that my roommate at summer camp had the same thing

And the curiosity when she never seemed as thirsty as I always am, even with meds

I remember all the days and know all the days to come where I spend my school day staring at empty water bottles I just filled up

And trying to wait until passing period to use the bathroom

I remember all the nights and know all the ones to come where I seem to spend more time at the sink taking in water and in the bathroom letting it out than I spend asleep

I remember thinking about the self control I've gained from my DI

Because it can sure take a lot sometimes to not constantly drink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back