• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hymn of the Shroud: What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse

BARONESS VANNDRA
Innsjost Castle

As Iksander accompanied her to the council chamber door, Vanndra allowed a sigh to escape her lips as she pulled on the brass handle, cooler air spilling into the room and reviving her senses. “Would that I could only have a council of you, Iksander. You get to the point, and do so while walking, nonetheless. Your service, and simply your presence, has been a remarkable strength to me, for I don’t know how long I could put up with those rabbits in coats without it.” She stopped a moment to look him in the eyes. "Iksander, I know you care violently for my safety. It has kept me alive on more than one occasion.” She put a hand on his shoulder, showing as much feeling as she could muster within herself, and beat her own chest with clenched fist. “And while I am honored, I want you to know that my priority still stands high, and that is the safety of the people in my care. Not my safety, but theirs. Most of them are very capable, and will manage without me, but I do not think there would be much left if I didn’t have them. I will be but a passing figure in their lives, as my husband was, and another will always take our places for them. They are the lifeblood of this kingdom, and it is they who need protecting. You may lower my guard and post the extras around the major cities at this point. You may keep to my side if you wish, as there is little company I like as much as yours, and no others could keep me as safe, anyway. But please,” she said with finality, “do not think for a moment that the loss of my life would be a mar on your honor. We both know that if I get myself killed, it is of my own doing-not yours.”

Vanndra pounded her heart once again before removing her hand from Iksander’s shoulder and stepping out the open door. “We will check the medical shipment now, but then we hunt.”

She stepped lightly down the hall, making her way toward the front gate when she heard it first: the distant and muffled sounds of shouting, mixed with the undeniable sounds of pain. She tensed, turning her ear toward the source, pinpointing the location so she could take herself to the fight. Readying the polearm at her side, she almost growled, recognizing an unfamiliar sound that seemed to get louder with each bated breath she took. At the last moment she turned her head to the hallway that stretched to their left, raising her axe to shield herself as a black and fast-moving figure struck at her as it charged from the corner with alarming speed. A young man with black eyes and greying flesh struck again and again as Vanndra searched for an opening, intent on gaining the upper hand quickly. She continued to hear some kind of struggle taking place elsewhere, but could not focus with this thing in her way. He was dressed as a regular human, but clearly was not. In fact, she thought she could recognize him, and as the realization began to be apparent in her face, she noticed the creature before her smile in a twisted, mocking fashion.

MIKHEL RASK
Halvost, Innsjost Castle

Ignoring their questions, Mikhel shouted this time, for it seemed there would be no advantage gained by being silent.

“You must both get out of here, NOW!”

He turned toward the sound and ran, adrenaline pushing his body forward and erasing all signs of fatigue. He instinctively made his way back to the stairs that led down to the holding cells, but as he was about to step down, the screams impossibly loud by now, he noticed something out of the corner of his eye, down the hall adjacent to the one through which he had come. When he looked up, it was gone. Probably nothing, he thought, anxious to move downward to whatever awaited him there.

Upon reaching the bottom of the staircase for the second time that night, all was in a panic and not at all how he left it. A few bodies lay on the ground here and there, but the fight was still progressing, and in the center of it was the man whom he was treating earlier - only this time, he was not lying down, in and out of consciousness. He was very much animated, very much alive, only he didn’t look very well. His teeth were bloody and pointed, his eyes black and the skin around them sagging. He almost looked taller, but that could not be. He didn’t look strong-in fact he still looked very sickly-but he held off six guards himself, and had apparently killed three, their throats gashed or faces bloodied as they lay in front of him.

Mikhel was not a skilled soldier, but he could hold his own in a fight and drew the club he kept fastened at his side. As he did so, another creature similar to the first sprung from the shadows and slashed at him with jagged claws, making a strange hissing sound as if a serpent possessed him. Mikhel was pushed against the wall, the claws striking nothing but the heavy cloth of his robes, for now. He recognized in the quick moments he saw the creature’s face that this was another of the infected men they held here, though he was sure this one would have died by now. Dodging the creature’s ghostly strikes, Mikhel swung sharply, catching it on the shoulder and watching as it hit the bars of the cell opposite him. Another shadowy being emerged from the crowd to his right and Mikhel saw the remaining guards holding off two creatures instead of just one. The creature in front of him charged again, apparently unfazed by the first blow, but Mikhel was better prepared this time and struck low, crushing it’s left leg. The thing fell to the ground, thrown off-balance by Mikhel’s club, but still hissed ferociously and showed no signs of pain. Pulling itself up, it attempted to lunge at him again. Mikhel wondered how long he could keep this up and swung again.

Stickdom Stickdom Ignie Ignie Katsuya Katsuya

Last edited:
Halvøst
Baroness' castle
Thyrnn

Mikhel gave no answer to the questions Thrynn had, he only yelled, ordering him to get out of here, him and Rahulik, before rushing into to the noises, probably to fight whoever (or whatever?) Was there.

The young man stayed silent, standing alongside Rahulik in the hallway, looking to where Mikhel went, a hesitant look on his face.

One part of him was yelling, screaming at him that he should obey the man and go out, and go home be safe. His mother lost a husband, and she couldn't bare to lost her son a few days after.

However there was another voice is his head, a tiny, tiny voice that was whispering that he could fight. He was a mage, right? He could help. Too many people already died in this town. It was time to stop this for once and all.

But let's be honest, Thrynn couldn't do this alone. He looked at his companion next to him, still unsure on what to do.

"Ma'am..." he began hesitantly, "What should we do? We... i know we obey and get out of here... But they probably need help and... i am a mage, i could help... Ah, i don't know!" Thyrnn bit his lips, and gave another look to where the fight was probably raging.

Katsuya Katsuya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back