[Hyaku Monogatari: The Act of 100 Ghostly Stories] Chapter 1, Scene 1:

"Hai. I would be honored." He said with a feint bow toward the honorable Isawa-san (いさわさん).

---Isawa Kenji---

---Phoenix Clan

Shugenja---

"Thank you Moshi-san, now please stand next to me" Kenji moves beneath a street lamp retrieving a series of prayer scrolls from his pockets. He begins chanting and praying to the kami for guidance. Something in the Void stirs, reaches out and intertwines the fate of Kenji and Araashi linking their souls together (Kharmic Intent). The energy of the void begins to suffice them both, first as a trickle and then as a torrent (Altering the Course), Kenji prays to the kami for the enlightenment. That he be gifted with the knowledge of what caused this strange fog and what the creatures contained within are (Lore roll).

Spellcasting rolls for void are 8k4. Spending 6 void points to make the lore roll 10k9

Kharmic Intent: keep 10, 7, 7, 6. 10 exploded into an 8. Total = 38

Altering the Course: keep 5, 8, 8, 10. 10 exploded into a 9. Total = 40

Lore Theology: keeping 3, 5, 8, 2, 8, 10, 6, 7, 8. 10 exploded into a 10, which exploded into an 8. Total = 76

• The air seems to coalesce around Isawa and Moshi, and tendril of light hangs between the two. It thickens as the spells gather, then slowly dims to nothing.

---Isawa Kenji---

---Phoenix Clan

Shugenja---

Kenji winces from the pain. "The spirits are from Sakkaku, the Realm of Mischief. But there is something else. A flash of blue fire with a black grin. Moshi-san we will need to consult with the priests in the temple" Kenji takes a moment to catch his breath and begins casting the second part of his ritual. Feeling exhausted from his prior bout of spell casting Kenji prays to the Kami to restore their strength. When the prayer is completed he packs away his scrolls and turns to Yoritomo-san. "all right, Yoritomo-san can you get us to the temple post haste?"

Spellcasting rolls for void are 8k4. for water spells its 6k3

Drawing the Void (3 raises TN 20): keeping 10, 10, 7, 6 for a total of 32

Rejuvenating Vapors (TN15): keeping 10, 10, 5 for a total of 25

I receive 5 void points from this spell. I will gain 3 and Moshi will receive 2 back. Also all of my void spell slots have been restored by Rejuvenating Vapors.

[dice]123[/dice]

[dice]124[/dice]

Yoritomo Chou appears concerned, but not afraid, "Hai. The safest way will be to stick together." She leads them off at a quick pace while scanning the streets for anyone one or anything not of the party.

The streets are dim and foggy, filled with strange shapes and shadows, ever highlighted by the constant crack of lightning. The blinding flash gets continually brighter as you approach the temple, until finally it dwells nigh overhead as you enter the grounds themselves.

Comprised of subtle gravel yards, pristine gardens, and a small pond with an overhanging willow, the grounds seem a good deal calmer than outside. Even the air seems cooler around your faces and necks, though not by much.

In front of you, the Temple of Osano-Wo itself towers, a massive edifice of green tile and pale wood, adorned with carvings of noble mantis, and friezes of Osano-Wo himself, riding through the Heavens, or taking a stance during battle.

Several monks are gathered around the front steps, animatedly talking between themselves. As you approach, they slowly run to a stop, turning towards you all, eyes filled with suspicion. A younger monk, of shaven pate and friendly smile, with a small moustache, and a large mole over his right eye, comes over to greet you. He bows deeply, enough to show that you are at best his superiors, or at least the first among equals.

"Hai, Samurai-San," he addresses you all, rising from his position. "May I ask what leads such honorable servants of the Empire to our doors in such a time?"

The gaggle of older monks are watching you, gentle smiles on their faces that do not reach their eyes.

Arashi bows to the assembled brothers before giving the proper greeting shared amongst the brotherhood. "Konnichiwa honorable brothers. Tenki wa ii desu ne? (The weather is good, isn't it?)"

---Isawa Kenji---

---Phoenix Clan

Shugenja---

Kenji bows deeply to the monks at the temple. He waits for Moshi-san to finish his greeting and then speaks up. "Mina-san we were sent by Daimyo Yoritomo-sama to investigate this fog. My name is Isawa Kenji, and I am the assistant to Jade Magistrate in the region." Kenji waits a moment to give the others an opportunity to introduce themselves, then he continues. "Honorable Monks, may we have your permission to use the temples library in our investigation? "

There's a moment of polite, yet strained quiet, and you cannot help but feel the smiles looking back at you are forced. Even the neutral expressions from the monks at the back seem somewhat sterner than they should be, and there is little friendliness in the air, real or imagined.

The younger monk, the one who greeted you, replies to your greeting with one of his own.

"At your service, Honorable Samurai. I am Daisuke, Acolyte of the Temple of Osano-Wo," he intones cheerfully, bowing deeply once more, and gesturing . "I would be more than happy to show you the Temple's libraries,"

"We have been keeping close records of the spiritual phenomena that have been occurring recently. I am sure they would be of help to your search,"

---Isawa Kenji---

---Phoenix Clan

Shugenja---

Kenji bows out of respect for the monks and this difficult situation. His voice is bright and diplomatic, as if attempting to lift the gloom of the temple. "Thank you for your assistance, please lead the way"

Daisuke inclines his own head, and leads the samurai deeper into the temple grounds, and past the older monks.

The grounds are still hazy, though compared to the mists outside the walls, the visibilty within is more than adequate. Lightning still occasionally illuminates the area for an instant, bathing everything in a monochrome of stark white and dull greys, followed by the roar of rumbling thunder. The gardens themselves are impeccable, the gravel raked into fine rows, outlining the placement of the great stones with elegant simplicity, though the lack of life has transformed the feeling of enlightenment into one of uneasy eeriness.

As you venture further from the main entrance, and away from the group of other monks, the expression on Daisuke's face softens somewhat, and he looks to you with an apologetic air.

"Many apologies for the air of the reception Honorable Samurai. The air in the temple has been less than agreeable to our more venerable members, and there has been some..." the man trails off as he searches for an appropriate word.

"...disagreements... With the advent of the fog, there has been some... discussion, on the reason as to why such a spiritual calamity has occurred here. It has left many of them in poor spirits. My apologies if it has offended any of you."

Kuni Jubei

"They are not required to maintain on." Jubei announces, as if emerging from thought. "Anymore than I am. There are higher matters to consider, and lower duties which cannot go unattended."

He fixes the monk with a suspicious eye.

"What is the nature of these... disagreements?"

Either Osano-Wo himself is displeased, or something malignant lurks within these walls.

There's a nervous laugh, and Daisuke scratches the back of his head anxiously. It is no wonder the man is a monk, considering his inability to remain stoic and keep face, though with these circumstances, it is not entirely inexcusable.

"I wouldn't be privy to most of them Kuni-sama, but from what I have heard it was about their duties to the shrines mostly,"

As they head towards a smaller, squarish building, the young monk begins to frown.

"...that's odd, I could have sworn I closed that door..."

The whole conversation was making Chou more uncomfortable than the fog outside. It was clearly going to get worse and she itched for a fan. She jumped at the chance to do something more concrete even if just a distraction.

"Where does the door lead?"

"...to where the most recent records are written and stored..." admitted Daisuke, running a hand over his shaved pate.

"Maybe the fog is addling my mind," he chuckled apprehensively, padding over to the slightly ajar door.

---Isawa Kenji---

---Phoenix Clan

Shugenja---

Kenji fiddles with his robe growing noticeably uncomfortable with the heat. The creatures he witnessed in the fog had him on edge as well. "Or perhaps there can be an intruder, I suggest we proceed carefully"

Daisuke freezes en route to the door, looking back at the group with mild fear in his eyes.

"A-An intruder?" he stammers, throwing a worried glance at the scrollery house, slowly backing away. "There couldn't, I-I mean, I won't disagree with you Isawa-sama if you say you believe there is, but how or why would someone come here, of all places?"

---Isawa Kenji---

---Phoenix Clan

Shugenja---

Kenji smiles at Daisuke reassuringly "I am not certain, it is just a possibility that I bring up because I trust that you did close that door. Now let us proceed"

Chou deftly maneuvers to take up a watchful position beside the monk carefully making sure he is still leading them, but ready to step in should there be danger.

There's a loud sigh from Daisuke, followed by a gulp of air as he approaches the door. Slowly, as if fearing what he would find inside, he pulled it a little further open, showing the yawning darkness inside. Out of the murk something darted, and young monk himself lurched back with a cry, nearly falling over from...

A rat. It squeaks and tries to scurry past you, a small brown blur.

---Isawa Kenji---

---Phoenix Clan

Shugenja---

Kenji breathes a large sigh of relief and begins laughing, slapping the shocked Daisuke on the back "It seems we have found the intruder, I wonder what secrets he has escaped with? Perhaps were a monk keeps a secret stash of sweets?"

Daisuke starts a little from the slap on the back, but soon joins the Shugenja in laughter, visibly relaxing as he opens the door fully.

"Well, I am sure that some of the scribes would be..." the young monks voice trails away as he peers inside, and a dozen more rats scurry past him.

The inside of the scrollary is completely decimated, the floor unable to be seen for the sea of shredded paper. Mangled scrolls dangle limply from their alcoves, their tattered pieces rustling with the sudden breeze. A few rodents still linger amongst the shelves, gnawing on the few scraps of unmolested paper, unmindful of the sudden appearance of the newcomers.

---Isawa Kenji---

---Phoenix Clan

Shugenja---

A huge scowl crosses Kenji's face after he sees all of the rodents present. "It seems that fate will not make our investigation easy. Does anyone know how to remove this many rodents?"

Clutching at his head in shock, Daisuke tries to frantically shoo rats from parchment, with little success. As he would flail at one swarm of rats, forcing them to disperse like smoke before a fan, another would crop up, all the hordes while eating further and further into the stores of paper.

"No no no no no!" he squeals madly, swatting at one rat after another.

The commotion seems to be garnering the attention of other monks, now coming closer to see what the noise is all about.

Chou wrinkles her nose at the creatures and hurries in after the monk to help. Pulling her bisento off her back she strikes its blade with her tanto attempting to create a larger area where the rats would not want to be and herd them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back