How to lie?

Performance, although socialize or larceny could do it depending on what type of bluff.  That said, the attribute could be charisma, intelligence, or better still manipulation.

But I would probably default to manipulation + performance unless the character detailed his deceit by some other means.

kakitashinsumi said:
Performance
No. The answer is Socialize (generally).

"Performance covers the gamut of live artistic expression." (Core: 136).

"Socialize is the ability to... understand and maneuver in social situations" (Core: 141).

Then reread the Systems and Drama chapters. At least check the answers before making public posts about it.

Sorry, but my ST is nuts about keeping his books a secret.

No one is allowed to read them without him knowing what they're looking for.

And I'm too broke to go get my own book, since the secondhand bookstore doesn't ever get in Exalted books, and if they do, they don't last the day.

So, I don't really have the chance to look that information up and my ST uses Manipulation + Larceny to do lies and I haven't taken the time to check the truth behind his decision, so don't get rude over someone doing something wrong in game.

Getting rude is completely childish.

Sorry, but my ST is nuts about keeping his books a secret.
No one is allowed to read them without him knowing what they're looking for.

don't get rude over someone doing something wrong in game.

Getting rude is completely childish.
Sorry I was rude. I stated what I thought you should do, and had no idea you couldn't. If I had known your ST had told you that, I would have been rude to them instead :oops:

I would never be rude about something players have made an informed decision about for their game. I am rude about people posting ignorant opinions online when it's the work of a moment to inform themselves. Since you're not able to refer to the rules at will, I won't be such an arse to you in future.

What annoys me is people posting questions and interpretations on here, asking other people to go do their research for them. That's not what you did but it's what I thought I was responding to.

Your ST should allow you to read the rules as much as you want. There's very little 'secret' information in the whole game; the corebook in particular has almost no secret information at all. If the ST won't give you the information you need to play the game as best you can, you should find alternative sources, like other players or file-sharing programs.

Seriously, your ST is being too secretive, and obviously doesn't know the rules well enough to carry the game on their own. I mean, larceny? Does every liar in your game have to be good at picking locks as well.

Manipulation + Larceny would be applicable to specific situations with involved cons, but for "Baby, you know I love you..." sorts of lies, Manipulation + Socialize is a better yardstick.

Bluffing yourself past a petty official, you might instead rely on Manipulation+Bureaucracy.  To use sheer force of personality to brush aside any question of the accuracy of an allegation, then it might even be Charisma+Performance, but those would be the Big Lies, the PR kinds of lies, the "Speaking before thousands" kinds of lies.  

To get a lie past an savant, then Manipulation+Lore could be applicable.  

To tell a fast one, that needs a leap in logic, then Wits+Socialize might be in order.

In short, it depends.  If your ST is keeping the books under wraps...then it is worrisome.  Keeping players ignorant is a little stupid.  If you're planning on running games based on scenarios in the books, then you might ask folks to not read some things.  But to keep the Big White Book out of your hands is kind of silly, because it makes players dependent and unsure, and hamstringing players like this only creates more headaches.

Just to provide yet another combination:

"I am the Captain of this group! Get out of my way!"

Presence / Charisma

My ST now claims he said Manipulation + Socialize.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure, now he changes his mind.

:evil:

Mostly me, but occasionally one or two other players, such as my wife, his friend, and a friend of my wife's.

But other than his other friend, I know the rest of us bitch about his lame ST skills, but other than myself, there's no other ST, and I wanna game too (playing in my own game doesn't count).

BTW:  I usually run WoD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back